Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Here's my take and thoughts on the Coaching discussion
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 73
| visibility 1

Here's my take and thoughts on the Coaching discussion

Sep 17, 2013, 1:06 PM

I think it is inevitible beyond a doubt that eventually Dabo will move on to a bigger school. Whether we like it or not there are "bigger deal" schools out there.

I think it is inevitible beyond a doubt that Chad Morris will eventually become a HC after being OC at Clemson. Whether we like it or not being a HC is a much "bigger deal" than OC.

IMO, and you guys can flame me, burn me at the stake or whatever you like, it would be in Clemson's best interest if Dabo left for another big name school in the NEAR future.

Here's why....

If Dabo doesn't leave Clemson within the next 2 years, Chad Morris will likely be gone as HC of another school. In 1 to 2 years Dabo will more than likely be gone to another "Big Deal" school. This would leave Clemson without either of these men and it would be detrimental to Clemson Football for a minimal of 2 to 3 years after.

If Dabo leaves within the next year or so Clemson would have a great opportunity to hire Chad Morris as Head Coach before another school lures him out.

We might lose Dabo's skills and recruiting but at least we wouldn't lose both.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Here's my take and thoughts on the Coaching discussion

Sep 17, 2013, 1:11 PM

There is only really a handful of schools that would be any kind of jump up as far as coaching jobs go...

Alabama, Texas, Notre Dame... who else would you put on this list?

I think Coach Swinney is very happy here. I agree with most, he will consider Alabama if they call but as long as he has the admin's support here at Clemson like he has the last few years, he is a Tiger.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 17, 2013, 1:22 PM

Texas, UGA, USC, ND, Bama, Florida, OhSt, Michigan, Oklahoma, TA&M, Tenn

I don't think all are a threat by any means but a few could be. Texas, UGA (if they implode), Florida (I don't see Muschamp working out long), Bama (If Texas got Saban), Tenn (they just continue to suck under new coaches)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why would he leave?

Sep 17, 2013, 1:31 PM

It obviously isn't about money to him because he's giving his bonuses to his coaches. The only place I ever see him going besides Clemson is his alma mater. I mean he has everything he could want here at Clemson. He has built this program to a national power, so there is no need for him to uproot his family and go anywhere else. I think he is here to stay.

Re: Why would he leave?

Sep 17, 2013, 1:32 PM

He didn't give millions to assistants. And we're talking millions else where. I think you're being a little close minded about it.

Sep 17, 2013, 1:36 PM

Not being close minded at all. Sorry you feel that way. Just stating my opinion. Dabo is a coach of a different breed. Clemson gave him a shot when no one else will. Best believe that goes a long way with a guy like Dabo. Its more than money to him.

Sep 17, 2013, 1:50 PM

I agree with what you're saying. I just think it's fantasy to think that he's going to stick around because of that.

He'll have both with continued success... that or the BOT or

Sep 17, 2013, 6:14 PM

Wilkins as its head need to be reassessed. Performance deserves compensation.

One correction: He has RESURRECTED a national

Sep 17, 2013, 9:44 PM [ in reply to Why would he leave? ]

powerhouse- the one Dabo himself said he respected and admired in his day. Clemson is no stepping stone and is not the highlight of a resume'. Thank God he witnessed this "sleeping giant" when this giant was wide awake because Clemson is/ was a destination job. Just ask the 80's

tennessee, florida, t a&m,and uga from the sec, can hang

Sep 17, 2013, 1:36 PM [ in reply to Re: Here's my take and thoughts on the Coaching discussion ]

it up. if dabo left for an sec school, it would be 'bama or none . oklahoma wishes, just look at bv, we outpayed them for his services ( y'all can say nepotism if you want ), that leaves nd ,i don't think northern football has a shot, usc, same with the pacific coast and the osu- well heck, no one wants to go TO ohio, ask lebron, or me! so that leaves texas. that one ain't clemson- need i say more?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: tennessee, florida, t a&m,and uga from the sec, can hang

Sep 17, 2013, 1:54 PM

You don't think Dabo would leave for UF, UGA or Tenn?

would Dabo leave for UF, UGA or Tenn?

Sep 17, 2013, 2:19 PM

i dont think so.

why would he? they are basically the same level as Clemson in prominence.
in the same geographic area.

if it is about money, he might leave. maybe

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: would Dabo leave for UF, UGA or Tenn?

Sep 17, 2013, 2:23 PM

"they are basically the same level as Clemson in prominence."

I just don't agree. Not yet.

Gotta take off the orange shades. We're on a higher level competitively right now but when it comes to school vs school, history, location, money, conference (whether youw ant to admit it or not), national exposure, they have an advantage right now.

been following college football since 1984

Sep 17, 2013, 2:28 PM

i just dont agree with you.

Re: been following college football since 1984

Sep 17, 2013, 2:47 PM

The rest of the nation does.

DID!!!.... What have you done for me lately? Wait and see.***

Sep 17, 2013, 6:17 PM

you should work for a politician

Sep 17, 2013, 7:36 PM [ in reply to Re: been following college football since 1984 ]

your ability to read 99.99% of the nation would be valuable.

lol

Re: you should work for a politician

Sep 17, 2013, 8:06 PM

Go look up college football brand recognition polls.

UF for sure...UGA and Tenn....not so sure

Sep 17, 2013, 7:15 PM [ in reply to Re: would Dabo leave for UF, UGA or Tenn? ]

UF is a no brainer. Massive school in the best conference with tons and tons of resources. UGA too, but not on the same level as UF. Tenn is poor recruiting state. They have a massive stadium that they have trouble filling, sure, but I'd rather be at UF or UGA out of the East.

Still, it makes no sense. Dabo will only leave for 'Bama, period. Why start over at UF where they have monumental expectations from the Urban/Spurrier years? He could be booted out of there in 2 or 3 years. Same with UGA...they won't be patient if they fire Richt. He has something going here. Why leave that unless it is for a really, really special opportunity like coaching your alma mater.

i agree that

Sep 17, 2013, 7:34 PM

Dabo would not leave for those teams.

of the three that you say is the most enticing, do you really think Dabo would go coach at a school that loves Spurrier?

i dont see that happening.

he would choose Clemson any day of the week, ...or maybe that is my heart talking.

but it seems heart means a lot to him....

Re: would Dabo leave for UF, UGA or Tenn?

Sep 18, 2013, 8:26 AM [ in reply to Re: would Dabo leave for UF, UGA or Tenn? ]

I think you took your orange shades off, but you put on some blinders in their place.

tennessee i am 99.9%, t a&m 90%, uf and ugay about 80%

Sep 17, 2013, 7:08 PM [ in reply to Re: tennessee, florida, t a&m,and uga from the sec, can hang ]

the reason i say that is that dabo has stated- the hype that they(sec) get is bs (paraphrasing, of course) and i think that since his walk-on days at 'bama (and probably since his childhood with his family situation) he has loved to prove people wrong. clemson is in the same situation as him. we are as good a program as is out there, yet we are constantly having to prove ourselves because we are not as big, or affluent, as a lot of other schools. dabo and clemson are/is a great fit for each other. and i just feel he thinks/feels the same way.

Message was edited by: sgt tiger®

very good thoughts***

Sep 17, 2013, 1:11 PM

Fiat Justitia et Pereat Mundus

aint happening***

Sep 17, 2013, 1:21 PM

Is talking about Dabo leaving helpful to Clemson Tiger

Sep 17, 2013, 1:23 PM

football? I think not.

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

We can't just bob and weave around the subject...***

Sep 17, 2013, 1:28 PM

That depends, are we talking about men's or women's

Sep 17, 2013, 1:33 PM [ in reply to Is talking about Dabo leaving helpful to Clemson Tiger ]

Clemson Tigers football?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

i thought xctb left in 2008

Sep 17, 2013, 1:35 PM

and took the wimminz program with him?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

HE WAS A GOOD CHRISTIAN MAN, I WILL NOT STAND FOR

Sep 17, 2013, 1:42 PM

THESE ATTEMPTS TO DEGRADE A GOOD CHRISTIAN MAN WHO DID SO MUCH FOR THIS PROGRAM!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

DOOD, EVEN IN DEFEAT

Sep 17, 2013, 1:54 PM

HE TOOK THE WIMMINZ PROGRAM WITH HIM! !! !!!

HOPEFULLY WE NAME THE EAST ENDZONE AFTER HIM!!!

GAWD BLESS XCTB! ! !!! !!!! !!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: HE WAS A GOOD CHRISTIAN MAN, I WILL NOT STAND FOR

Sep 17, 2013, 2:15 PM [ in reply to HE WAS A GOOD CHRISTIAN MAN, I WILL NOT STAND FOR ]

Half the coaches in college football are good christian men on saturdays.

Half of the coaches? Well obviously you mean

Sep 17, 2013, 2:20 PM

their top half ;)

i don't know bob, maybe we should all head to the beach

Sep 17, 2013, 1:33 PM [ in reply to Is talking about Dabo leaving helpful to Clemson Tiger ]

and put our heads in the sand?

gwp's been alone long enough.

Joe is there with him...cept it's not Joe's HEAD that was in

Sep 17, 2013, 1:39 PM

the sand, it was his shoulder :)

i forgot last time joe was there, fackin beach whooped him.***

Sep 17, 2013, 2:01 PM

Sep 17, 2013, 1:27 PM

Nobody is coming after Dabo until Chad Morris leaves and he makes another great hire and proves he can win without him.

That being said I think Dabo will make a great hire and continue to be successful at Clemson.

Sep 17, 2013, 1:28 PM

What the heck are you basing that off of?

Sep 17, 2013, 1:52 PM

The same thing that you are basing all of your scenarios off of?... Dude, no one knows what is going to happen. Yourself included. So no one can be wrong in what they respond.

Sep 17, 2013, 2:17 PM

There's being wrong and then there's just making up stuff...

Sep 17, 2013, 5:18 PM [ in reply to Re: Here's my take and thoughts on the Coaching discussion ]

I like Dabo, and I think he has a lot more to do with the success of our offense than people give him credit. A lot of people say he's not an x's and o's guy, but they don't know everything that happens on the practice field and in the film room. I highly doubt with Dabo's personality that he is just sitting back letting Morris do all the coaching.

I think if we continue to be a top 10 program over the next couple years we'll start hearing his name come up more when there's coaching vacancies but I don't think Alabama is gonna come calling anytime soon.

Status quo = there are bigger deal schools out there

Sep 17, 2013, 1:32 PM

But with the program Dabo is building, with the strength of IPTAY, stadium upgrades, etc., and then factor in that Clemson is willing to pay coaches and assistance a crap ton of money...the status quo is changing and can continue to change. If mama calls him home to Alabama, I get that. But if Dabo takes us to a National Championship, there aren't too many schools, if any, that could offer a better deal.

Re: Status quo = there are bigger deal schools out there

Sep 17, 2013, 2:17 PM

If we win a NC, that changes everything. Just talking as it stands now.

You'd best hope AThomas is still cross-eyed and drooling....***

Sep 17, 2013, 1:33 PM

I certainly hope we dont make decisions

Sep 17, 2013, 1:34 PM

based on "what if the sky falls" scenario like that.

I doubt Dabo leaves, but if he does, so be it. Chad may leave at some point, and if he does, we have the guy who found him and hired him ready to replace him.

The sky aint falling. Thats just leaves from the Popolar trees...

Re: I certainly hope we dont make decisions

Sep 17, 2013, 2:18 PM

I didn't mention Clemson making any decisions based on anything. Just mentioned what might be the best scenario playing out.

Touche,

Sep 17, 2013, 2:27 PM

but the sky is apparently falling in your scenario, and I guess that is what I recoil against.

Its like being fearful of winning the lottery cause "What will I do when the money runs out".

I'd rather consider your scenario this way:

If at the end of the year, everybody wants our coaches, we must be national champs. Woohoo! (thats not the Fight song woohoo, btw)

I understand the scenario you are proposing for discussion, but the coaching change questions just seem too doom and gloom.

Re: Touche,

Sep 17, 2013, 2:35 PM

it's not "the sky is falling at all". It's one of those "good problems to have". But they're still problems that we must position ourselves for to best come out on the winning end. We need to be prepared for any scenario that might happen. And losing both would be a bad deal. It's up to us to make sure we don't.

Sep 17, 2013, 2:40 PM

I think without a doubt, Morris and Venables will most likely be courted by schools for HC jobs. But don't forget who got them here. You can bet Swinney has a list of candidates to replace both in his front pocket. Additionally, if we continue to pay $1M to coordinatiors, they will not be that hard to replace.

As for Dabo, I can't see Texas, ND, Bama etc coming after him. Shur he is a great coach, but he is still green by theri standards. He doesn't need or want the money. He is grounded and knows where he came from. He is able to provide a life to his family light years better that he had. He even still lives in his $250,000 house he built when he came to Clemson to coach receivers.

Sure he is a Bama grad, but the road to the NC is much easier in the ACC and he would always live in the shadows of Saban. To me going to Bama would be career suicide. Today at Clemson he is no longer compared to Ford because he is making a name for himself and making his own history.

In other words, Dabo will be at Clemson as long as Clemson will have him.

Sep 17, 2013, 2:43 PM

He's gotta pretty nice house on Keowee too.

Sep 17, 2013, 2:49 PM [ in reply to Re: Here's my take and thoughts on the Coaching discussion ]

You guys talk like you're in his head and you're best friends and go shopping together or something. You have absolutely no idea how he feels about it.

you have "no idea" besides being a bullshieeter!***

Sep 17, 2013, 6:01 PM

Re: you have "no idea" besides being a bullshieeter!***

Sep 17, 2013, 6:54 PM

Never said i did know. Just saying in all probability he will get an offer from what will be considered a big time gig and he will take it.

Those who are talking facts do not know at all. Things can only be assumed or hypothesized at this point.

Re: you have "no idea" besides being a bullshieeter!***

Sep 18, 2013, 8:33 AM

The thing about that is that he is taking Clemson back to "being a big time gig."

Dabo is going NO WHERE!

Sep 17, 2013, 6:27 PM [ in reply to Re: Here's my take and thoughts on the Coaching discussion ]

Coordinators, assistant coaches, staff, GA's or whatever else we pay to make Clemson football are all subject to change. Dabo MIGHT take a job at Alabama, although I doubt for some of the reasons listed above. He won't get the chance because Saban is going nowhere. Alabama is one of the most profitable football programs in the country, and they will keep him no matter what it costs. None of the other programs mentioned in this thread thinks that coaches with 4 years of experience in the ACC is worthy to coach at Texas, ND, etc.

Go Tigers, Beat the Pack!

You are full of SHIEETT!***

Sep 17, 2013, 5:45 PM

There's no guarantee CM will be a better HC than Dabo

Sep 17, 2013, 7:09 PM

Very different skillsets needed to be an OC vs a Head Coach. CEO vs manager.

Who says Morris wouldn't come back??? Also, promote....

Sep 17, 2013, 7:09 PM

Venables

Of course, times have changed; but, there was another

Sep 17, 2013, 7:11 PM

coach during my days at CU, who chose to remain for a long, long time. In fact, CUATFL, there is a rock named after him, plus part of Death Valley...and he lies buried on Cemetery Hill.

You see, some people find their calling at the strangest places and frankly, become so enamored with their work and home that they never leave. A lot of mighty fine folks came to Clemson to serve and remained all their lives. People like Bob Edwards, Walter Cox, Banks McFadden are a few...and, of course, the Baron from Barlow Bend himself...Frank Howard.

Thus, who knows? Dabo might just want to hang around himself.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What is it, down time or something?***

Sep 17, 2013, 7:56 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 17, 2013, 7:56 PM

Dayum you want the Chad to be the head coach that bad? Trust me dude Dabo aint going nowhere.

Sep 17, 2013, 8:08 PM

Never said that at all. Not sure how you came to that conclusion.

Guessing if Clemson drops a game, we won't see anymore

Sep 17, 2013, 8:11 PM

threads like this. They will be about firing Dabo. Ain't college football great?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson

Sep 17, 2013, 8:24 PM

is not a stepping stone program in football. Households across America know the PAW. Dabo is responsible for hiring CM, he can do the same in the future with a pocket replacement. No one knows for sure,but after hearing the man speak time and time again in his press conferences, I truly believe he has Tiger orange in his veins like the rest of us. Clemson will continue to have him as he continues to perform. I have full confidence that he knows where he came from, knows that Clemson is family. The same family he has pushed for the last 5 years. He also knows the profession. He saw his boss ushered out because of the inability to adapt to change with the sport. He will adjust as needed, but more importantly, he knows Clemson nation is embracing him as their coach every day. The same reason Ford still resides in Clemson SC. At some point, its about our people. This football program is not a stepping stone. Name one coach since our NC that has ever left this program for greener pastures...Thats because their isn't one now. You can have everything you want and need in Clemson, as long as you work hard and make a commitment for what you are getting paid to do. That's win football games, and if we do lose, make sure the team shows up to play.

WNCTiger11

OC is gone at end yr; Dabo is here to stay except for 1

Sep 17, 2013, 9:20 PM

condition- Alabama calls. Orange is thoroughly infused in his DNA. Trust that Dabo will show his brilliance again as he did in hiring Chad. All will be fine folks.

Watch for Texas: coming after Chad Morris

Sep 18, 2013, 8:16 AM

and Chad taking it. The talks are probably beginning.

2005_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've been wrong two times, but this isn't one of them.

I just don't see Texas going after a coordinator.***

Sep 18, 2013, 8:37 AM

Not enough snaps yet for that to happen. 2 more yrs of

Sep 18, 2013, 5:23 PM

successful proof at min to get such an esteemed job.

I respect the opinion

Sep 17, 2013, 9:29 PM

But here is the way I see it. Bama is his alma mater. I understand the allure completely. What I this though is that following a legend (and yes, it IS present tense) is not easy nor favorable. At this point, Saban is the eqaivalent of Bryant. That, my friends, is a job waiting to be fired from...

If that makes you feel better***

Sep 17, 2013, 10:34 PM

Re: Here's my take and thoughts on the Coaching discussion***

Sep 17, 2013, 10:37 PM

Sep 17, 2013, 10:39 PM

Or...he could be like Paterno or Bobby Bowden or Tom Osborne and stay here 20-30 years.

How bout we just give money and cheer at games. That's all YOU really need to worry about

Throw some cold water on your face. Might clear the cobwebs

Sep 17, 2013, 11:12 PM

I'll take Dabo any day. Football is way more than offense and btw Danny would never have left Clemson so don't assume.

Nutsville.***

Sep 18, 2013, 12:19 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bottomline Its all about the dollar

Sep 18, 2013, 8:58 AM

Believe it or not!

Replies: 73
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic