Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Herbie has lost his mind. If UGA moved up
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 1

Herbie has lost his mind. If UGA moved up

Dec 1, 2018, 9:58 PM

After losing it would make a mockery of the regular season. He is being WAY too subjective. You have to consider the actual results of games at some point. To completely disregard every conference except the SEC based simply on the eye test is insane. Oklahoma won their conference and beat everyone they played this year. UGA may be better than Oklahoma but that’s subjective. The actual results of games can’t be tossed aside so casually.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

UGAy's loss to LSU is what should keep them out

Dec 1, 2018, 10:01 PM

A 2 loss non conference-champ should not trump a 1 loss conference champ, no matter how good they looked in the 'eye test' against bama...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The road goes on forever and the party never ends...

Re: UGAy's loss to LSU is what should keep them out

Dec 1, 2018, 10:07 PM

If you choke, you don’t pass the eye test.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: UGAy's loss to LSU is what should keep them out

Dec 1, 2018, 11:02 PM [ in reply to UGAy's loss to LSU is what should keep them out ]

This^^^^^

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Said this in another thread, but

Dec 1, 2018, 10:04 PM

Is the argument not *right now* "What team at #4 can give Alabama something other than two quarters of rest for the starters?"

I argue that it is the question.

If that's the question, the answer isn't Notre Dame or Oklahoma, and it's DEFINITELY not 0310 State.

I don't think UGA should *move up* as Herbie suggested, but keeping them at 4 is, while incongruous, the best thing to do, imo.

Why even play games then? College football is not

Dec 1, 2018, 10:11 PM

gymnastics that’s decided by judges.

The games have to matter more than subjective predictions. We have NO idea how Oklahoma or Ohio State would do against Bama. Acting like we KNOW UGA is better is insane.

UGA has their shot. They LOST.

The same way UCF isn’t in

Dec 1, 2018, 10:14 PM

UCF doesn’t play a p5 schedule. Oklahoma and UCF

Dec 1, 2018, 10:18 PM

are not comparable. UGA and Oklahoma are.

This eye test thing is being taken way too far.

Oklahoma has beaten NOBODY and like tOSU

Dec 1, 2018, 10:24 PM

You are being wildly arbitrary.

Dec 1, 2018, 10:28 PM

They beat a team in a conference championship game in a power 5 conference. They beat multiple ranked teams.

Who did UGA beat? Kentucky? Florida?

Re: You are being wildly arbitrary.

Dec 1, 2018, 10:31 PM

SC

Re: You are being wildly arbitrary.

Dec 1, 2018, 10:31 PM [ in reply to You are being wildly arbitrary. ]

SC

And FL and KY are the most over ranked teams in the top 25***

Dec 1, 2018, 10:33 PM [ in reply to You are being wildly arbitrary. ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes #9 and #15 and a close loss to #1

Dec 15, 2023, 12:04 AM [ in reply to You are being wildly arbitrary. ]

Now you are being irrational. A loss is better than a win?

Dec 1, 2018, 10:49 PM

Oklahoma and UGA are comparable. As such, Oklahoma has the superior resume. They have more wins, less losses and no opponents that they have not beaten. They win a championship game. They have maybe the best offense in the country.

You can’t make a reasonable argument that UGA has proven they are better than Oklahoma. You are making an assumption based on unproven bias.

UGA has better wins and a better loss and

Dec 1, 2018, 10:55 PM

If having a “better loss” somehow compensates for having more losses

Dec 1, 2018, 11:02 PM

and not having a conference championship, something is very wrong.

If anyone in that committee room tomorrow argues for UGA to be in the top 4, they should be kicked off the committee.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Well the committee is all college football experts including

Dec 1, 2018, 11:10 PM

Re: Well the committee is all college football experts including

Dec 1, 2018, 11:19 PM

Condoleeza Rice is a football expert? I mean, she's at least as much of an expert as you.....but I don't think expert is the word.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

She's not on there anymore and that's one out of the whole

Dec 1, 2018, 11:23 PM

Re: She's not on there anymore and that's one out of the whole

Dec 1, 2018, 11:29 PM

I have the exact same stats, biases, and ability to make decisions they do. They are no more qualified than either you or I to select teams. Just like you and I, they will argue. Its not math, it's opinion. managing an athletic department or coaching a team isn't going to give you special insight into whether it should be Oklahoma or Georgia. Again, they will all argue just like you and I.

Yep they will argue and come to a consensus ranking

Dec 1, 2018, 11:32 PM

Re: Yep they will argue and come to a consensus ranking

Dec 1, 2018, 11:36 PM

I don't think that's a good argument with an undefeated UCF team being left out 2 years in a row. How you can say they wouldn't have won, I don't know. They are in the same division and haven't been beaten in two years. Had they been selected, they could have won. Had OSU been selected instead of Bama, they may have won it all.

Message was edited by: summeyd®

Re: Yep they will argue and come to a consensus ranking

Dec 2, 2018, 12:15 AM [ in reply to Yep they will argue and come to a consensus ranking ]

I guess I'll also throw in how incompetent they looked when they put us against OSU in 2016. Surely if those guys were the be all end all when it comes to knowing college football, they wouldn't have put a team in there that got blown off the field 31-0. There is way, WAY too much media bias in the selection process right now. I wouldn't even agree that UGA played teams that were all that great throughout the year this year. At least, I don't think their schedule was any better than Oklahoma or Ohio State. The SEC has teams ranked constantly that are top 25 teams only because they are in the SEC. Then when they beat up on each other it was a "good loss" because it was to a ranked team. Then we start thinking good losses look better than wins. Then Georgia gets in the playoff because Alabama is a really, REALLY great loss. Man, what a great loss. Lets pretend like it didn't even happen.

Message was edited by: summeyd®

Again which nat'l champ result would you disagree with?

Dec 2, 2018, 12:20 AM

Re: Again which nat'l champ result would you disagree with?

Dec 2, 2018, 12:28 AM

Your argument appears to be that because the playoff committee picked 4 teams and one of them ultimately won, they are doing a great job and they are always correct. I'm disagreeing with that. In 2016 the media was dying for OSU to get in instead of Penn State. Penn State won their conference that year. They should have gone to the playoff. Had they gone, they almost certainly would have done better than OSU, who got blown off the field. They could have won that year. UCF, who has gone undefeated for two years now, will again not have a chance at the national championship. The Committee will not pick them, and they won't play for it. Instead, we may have a team that could not win their own conference, with two losses just this year, lording around the title of national champs. The bias shown to the SEC over the "eye test" is threatening the integrity of the game. That is what I'm arguing. The eye test is a garbage excuse for people that don't like looking at actual wins, losses, and conference championships.Good losses are still losses. Kentucky still sucks no matter what ESPN says, and Missouri isn't a top 25 team.

Re: Oklahoma has beaten NOBODY and like tOSU

Dec 2, 2018, 1:37 AM [ in reply to Oklahoma has beaten NOBODY and like tOSU ]

We’re you not a college football fan in 2014? tOSU actually won the CFP. Believe it or not, the 2016 game va Clemson was not their only apearance.

Re: Herbie has lost his mind. If UGA moved up

Dec 1, 2018, 11:08 PM

UGA needs to drop.

The more objective measures are used the better.

Absolutely no way they should move UP... If the CFP

Dec 1, 2018, 11:45 PM

wants to include them, leave them at #4 and they can have another shot at Bama and the SEC doesn't get another NCG match up... No way should they move up after losing.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's the Hegelian dialectic. Propose something so ridiculous

Dec 2, 2018, 12:24 AM

(UGA moving up on a loss) that something almost as bad (UGA staying where they are) doesn't look so bad.

Yea, I think that might be the intended play....***

Dec 2, 2018, 1:43 AM

Re: Herbie has lost his mind. If UGA moved up

Dec 2, 2018, 12:37 AM

Yep that whole disregarding the actual outcome of games thing has always pissed me off going back to when FSU would lose 2 of their first 4 and win out and everybody would say they were the hottest team right now and would end up ranked in the Top 5. By the way other than Texas Tech versus Ole Miss the first week of the season has the SEC played any Big 12 teams? So how can you say flatly that league is better? OU was clearly better than UGA in the Rose Bowl and pissed it away going conservative last year.

Replies: 31
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic