Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I will not be popular, but I think Beamer
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

I will not be popular, but I think Beamer

Dec 7, 2020, 8:44 PM

may be a good hire. I watched some of his interview, and seems to be a good guy. Dabo speaking highly of him adds credibility. Of course, it’s risky. But Carolina does not have a lot of leverage now with coaches. Especially given their financial situation.

Can’t help but think about parallels with coaches Clemson has hired in the past. I think of Tommy West and the desire to go back to the good ole days and hire one of Danny’s assistances. Then I think of Tommy Bowden being the son of a legendary coach who idolized his father and followed in his footsteps like Beamer.

You could also say that he’s somewhat like Dabo from the perspective that he became a head coach without ever being a coordinator. But what Dabo brings to the table versus Beamer is he did not grow up a fortunate son. Dabo has dealt with so much more adversity than Beamer ever dreamed of, given his family situation as a kid and in college when he had to take in his mom at his dorm room at Alabama.

Will be interesting to see what happens with Beamer and Carolina over the coming years. My guess is best case he will need a lot of years to get it going. We shall see.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I will not be popular, but I think Beamer

Dec 7, 2020, 8:48 PM

Great hire another Muschamp
'

Dec 7, 2020, 8:49 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 7, 2020, 8:49 PM

I kind of agree. Not the worst choice as Muschamp holds that title. If the coots give him enough time he has a chance assuming he can attract some quality assistants. He will also need to hit the portal hard given their current roster if he expects to buy enough time to keep the wolves at bay

Dec 7, 2020, 8:51 PM

You crack me UP with “choice!” ??

Good one!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 7, 2020, 9:04 PM [ in reply to Re: I will not be popular, but I think Beamer ]

Better choice than Granny Holts. A coach that looks physically fit and not senile “looks” like an improvement. Maybe as good as Sparky.

VT never being interested in him gives pause for thought.

Dec 4, 2021, 5:08 PM

>

Re: VT never being interested in him gives pause for thought.

Dec 8, 2020, 8:51 AM

There are a lot of Hokies who think VT missed the boat with him. I am not among them. Not because Shane isn't a good guy. I watched him play high school football, and Frank was my high school physed teacher back in the early 70's when he was getting his masters, so I have been around this family for years, even before Frank started coaching at the collegiate level.

But if you think Franks' shadow is long on Shane now, what would it be at VT, the place his Dad "built"? VT was an afterthought before Beamer came, and what they got to be in the 90's and 2000's was because of him, plain and simple. They have a freakin' statue of him in front of the stadium, for chrissakes! The road by the stadium is named "Beamer Way".

If I'm Shane, while most see the correlation between him and VT, it would be well into my head coaching career before I ever wanted to come close to the VT campus as anything but an opposing head coach.

Unless he lead VT all the way to the NC, which Frank managed to lead us to the precipice of, would Shane ever really be considered a success at VT by the fanbase? The comparisons would be endless.

I honestly don't look for Shane to ever coach at VT again. Lightning doesn't strike twice and I think Shane knows that.

He’ll be a dud like all his coot predecessors.***

Dec 7, 2020, 8:56 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 7, 2020, 9:04 PM

Dood, it’s sakerlina we’re talking about. The spurrier fluke will never happen again. They will hit on an 8 win season once every 12 years and that’s it. Baby Beamer may be a good coach and a good guy but he’s coaching at Columbia tech. It can’t be fixed down there. Poor fella will be job hunting in 5-6 years and we will be talking about the next guy.

Carolina, LOL.

Dec 7, 2020, 9:06 PM

Listen to Dabo, they're not and never will be Carolina.

Dec 7, 2020, 9:09 PM

Might be another Derek Dooley.

Dec 7, 2020, 9:40 PM

Dec 7, 2020, 9:17 PM

Who cares. Take to the coot board.

Dec 7, 2020, 9:26 PM

The most important and toughest job for any new coach is to hire quality assistants. If he manages to do that, he can probably get them to 8 wins in 3 or 4 years. Its tough however , for unproven head coaches to poach good coordinators. Defensive coordinator is a difficult job in today's football and there are not many Venables out there.

South Carolina can usually screw up anything positive, so I'll guess he'll fail. However they had to try something, as I believe the Muschamp hire was their worst in 30 years. How Tanner escaped with his job after that just boggles the mind

Tommy West sure was a good guy ...

Dec 7, 2020, 9:28 PM

He really was. Beamer will be as well. And a rich man.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“ Dabo speaking highly of him adds credibility.“

Dec 7, 2020, 9:29 PM

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2015/12/06/ap-source-muschamp-agrees-to-become-south-carolina-coach/76879544/

“Swinney said they got to know when he was at Alabama and Muschamp worked at Auburn.

‘He's a guy that I know is going to be thankful to have another opportunity,’ Swinney said Sunday. ‘And I guarantee you that he'll do a great job for South Carolina.’”

null

Re: “ Dabo speaking highly of him adds credibility.“

Dec 7, 2020, 9:53 PM

Have you looked at his coaching resume?

Dec 7, 2020, 10:43 PM

He's moved around a lot for his age, staying 2-3 years at most schools.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Dec 8, 2020, 9:05 AM

I've read a lot of their fans saying they were impressed with his press conference. My response to that is, when has a fan ever thought their team hired the right coach, but then changed their mind because they were unimpressed by their initial press conference?

Dec 8, 2020, 9:27 AM

I agree with OP. It is a risky hire (which HC coach hire is not risky?). But I think he has a chance to be successful. Success at USuc has a different definition than success at Clemson. But I think he may be able to consistently win 7 to 9 games a year, and that would be success at USuC.

Hiring a coach is always a crapshoot. May be good at your

Dec 8, 2020, 9:53 AM

school or organization (Dabo) given the right environment. May be a flop (Hatfield, West). May get you part way to where you want to be (TBowden). The capons probably could not get a "better" hire at this point in time. Now the fun begins: does ne make smart hires and will the school given him the time he needs? Who knows!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 8, 2020, 10:26 AM

As a Clemson man, I think the Beamer hire was the best possible option for the coots. Because I expect them to fail miserably.

First, with an unproven head coach, he has to win immediately. Dabo did this, partially he recruited most of the kids and had a decent talent pool to work with in 2009 - because he did have a good team to motivate. The big win over No 8 Miami gave him momentum for recruits to believe and keep him moving forward in that 2010 season. Can beamer take the Coots to the SEC championship in his first full season with Muscoot's kids? Not a chance. But what about Shame's recruiting powers while in Coolumbia? Well, what hurt us about having a new HC vs an established one from in Spurrier. It is one thing to sell Supurrier it is another to sell oneself. Yup, he will have a new-coach disadvantage while everyone, including UNC, GT, UofL, and UT have someone established - even Coastal. Only VaTech might be green again in the region. Shane has to win early with Muscoots kids, win big against a strong Georgia and Florida (maybe a recovering UT) and also take it standing up while we march to another CFP.

Next, even the most accomplished and inventive EXPERIENCED coaches at South Carolina struggle to 6 wins. While Muscoot was not a good coach, he was experienced and came from a great coaching tree. He at least knew what to do to keep them in a game. Shane has the same "lineage" too... but without the experience to at least know how to beat Vandy and maybe sabotage Georgia (because no one beats Georgia like a Georgia player). An experienced coach that just knows how to play the odds will add two wins to a coot season. So right now, Shame will have a 0 win team to try and win a conference division title. Next, even if you give him 2-4 years, do you see him getting enough talent to be at 7 wins again that quickly? Even Mizzou seems to be stable there and they are not an embarrassment program.

Of all the options (or rather the lack thereof), Shane was likely their best option and it is nearly a "nothing to lose" option.

And are the coot patient about being a floormat? Nope. Sure, they have spent their history being on the floor but they have "Texas" level expectations and Rutgers level. So when they go 2-3 wins the next 2 years what happens to Shame?

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic