Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Heard the AAC commissioner today.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 2,919

Heard the AAC commissioner today.

Dec 16, 2020, 10:25 PM

He was on Finebaum. Finebaum let him talk for about 10 minutes with no interruption. He gave a calm, clear, and very forceful beatdown of the BCS committee. Blasted them for being totally inconsistent and continually "moving the goalposts." Talked about their biases. Used Ohio State and Cincy as the two most often referred to examples, but talked about FL moving down only one spot after losing to a weak and depleted LSU team. Talked about Cincy moving down because they didn't play, but Ohio State not moving down even though they have only played five games. Talked about Ohio state weak schedule. Talked about Iowa State having two losses, including a 17 point home loss to Louisiana, being ranked too high.

Referred to it as the "P% invitational." Said it was time to go back to putting computers in charge. "They couldn't do any worse than this committee.

After he finished, Finebaum thanked him for coming on. Didn't try to dispute anything he said. After the commish was gone, Finebaum said he "gave the committee a beatdown" and couldn't disagree with anything he said.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Heard the AAC commissioner today.

Dec 16, 2020, 10:41 PM

AAC OR ACC?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 16, 2020, 10:48 PM

I guess ACC and agree with everything he (whoever) said except putting computers back in charge. It depends on who is controlling the computers.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

AAC because Cincinnati, and he’s totally right.***

Dec 16, 2020, 11:02 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Dec 17, 2020, 8:32 AM [ in reply to Re: Heard the AAC commissioner today. ]

AAC, not ACC. No way would any P5 commissioner blast the selection committee (and by link, the P5) the way he did.

Message was edited by: bretfsu®

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

F-baum is still "turd-able"!

Dec 16, 2020, 10:43 PM

It was good he let the AAC commissioner vent!
He is saying what I would love to say on National TV. It's a love fest of traditional powerful football schools and if you aren't in the club, "you have a hard time getting in"!
There is more acceptance for Clemson now - but some of them still kind of give me the vibe, "they want Clemson to fall off" so they can get back to slobbing on the "traditional blue bloods"!

It is sickening! Clemson for the rest of the nation was a breath of fresh air. Clemson has continued to win; so many now see Clemson as: "one of them"! Though those in the media with influence over rankings and individual awards like the Heisman don't necessarily see it that way.

FSU Bret is still living on the Bobby Bowden era and the 2013 National Title! But, ya'll fading fast! They will do you guys like they do other schools for maybe 2 -4 more years going, "oh they back" prematurely!

I don't like that dude and do not watch his show, period. Good that he let that guy vent and hope he has turned the corner from being a total a wipe. Maybe he has or maybe he wanted someone "outside the SEC to say it"! That way they don't look like the cry babies they are.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Isn't Ken Hatfield on the committee this year?***

Dec 16, 2020, 10:51 PM

Re: Isn't Ken Hatfield on the committee this year? yes

Dec 16, 2020, 11:00 PM

last year too I think

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 16, 2020, 11:00 PM

Paul does this kind of thing at time to give the appearance that he does not have bias. It’s a ruse. He is one of the most biased reporters going. I refuse to give him any credit, I see through his act. This dude CONTINUALLY puts down Dabo, Clemson, and the ACC, as they pose a threat to the status quo- college football owned and run by the SEC and the Big 10. He has more power and a bigger voice when Alabama is on top. Saban’ s days are numbered and he knows that. Dabo at Clemson is his biggest threat.

I guess you could say, Bama is cycling out- when Saban is gone. And every year is one year closer to that event.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 17, 2020, 8:10 AM

They seem to rank per t.v. viewership. There should be a clear path for every school to the playoffs, and a clear elimination process. Florida should be done. Ohio should not qualify. Both have big ratings potential so they try to keep them in. Also if Florida were to beat bama the high rating won't hurt bama. It's a set up.

Florida is still ranked so high...

Dec 17, 2020, 8:31 AM

to either give Bama another top 10 win or to justify keeping both Bama and possibly Florida in the top 4 in the unlikely event Florida beats them on Saturday. It's really just that simple.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Dec 17, 2020, 11:20 AM

Funny that it is still referred to as the AAC when they specifically said at the start and told the media they wanted to be called "The American" so there was no confusion with the ACC.

Dec 17, 2020, 11:44 AM

I think that Cincy should get a fair shake (definately ranked above the 2 loss teams) this season and likely be the #4 spot, because it is a covid year and why not... they have the most wins in the state of ohio. I agree with his take (save for the BCS - that was garbage).

The winner of the Clemson/ND game, thus Clemson will be in. Bama will likely be in. If USC is the winner of the P12, they might be in because they have an equal record as 31-0. And then 31-0hio State would be "4th" but since Cincy has more wins and the same number of wins over a ranked opponent.

While I can certainly agree with the AAC Commisioner on a

Dec 17, 2020, 12:28 PM

lot of his criticisms, I have to say that in a 4 team playoff the AAC will always get left out because year in and year out the top 4 ranked Power 5 teams are just better than any AAC team. Everything from the schedules the Power 5 teams have to play to the overall talent on the field is better among the top 4 Power 5 teams than anything the AAC is fielding.

Let's be honest - does anyone think the best AAC team (Cincinnati) would beat Clemson, Alabama, Notre Dame, or even Ohio State in a playoff game where it is win or go home? I cannot recall any AAC team ever beating a late season top 4 ranked Power 5 team but even if it has, it is a very rare occurrence.

The CFP committee is responsible for finding the 4 best teams (not the 4 most deserving, not the 4 with the best record) and the fact is the 4 best College Football teams almost without fail reside in the Power 5 conferences.

Having said all that, I've always been in favor of expanding the playoff to a 6 or 8 team format to give at least one school from the Group of 5 a Cinderella's chance at the playoff. However, with the playoff limited to just 4 teams, the AAC Cinderella team just ain't going to make that cut - even in a COVID-19 year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: While I can certainly agree with the AAC Commisioner on a

Dec 17, 2020, 12:43 PM

IDK. Cincy might be the best team 31-0hio State could/would play if they were forced to play a game.

You could make a case for UCF in 17 (less so in 18) although in 18 they were still undefeated. Otherwise, they are still rebuilding from the conference realignment.

The issue is that to win and win enough against major programs, they need to schedule top OOC teams and most conferences have been slowly retreating from that idea. The SEC, P12, and B310G have been retreating from scheduling the Group of 5 teams. Really only mid-level ACC teams seem to be willing to schedule them.

The UCF vs Florida thing is a bit sour but if you want to knock off the "big" program, doing it in their house (rather than a home and home) is the path. don't while when you only get a 1:2-fer.

I am a fan of the 4 team format, but if 31-0hio State has to change their conference rules just to stay eligible, then there is something wrong with the selection. I don't like the 6-win or paper champion idea.

The only cancelled game that has made sense has been Cincy vs Tulsa as they would play back-to-back games without changing the outcome. That is just plain common sense and not exposing the kids to both illness or unnecessary injury. Miami actually had an argument that Clemson SHOULD have played someone this past weekend until they gave up to UNC.

Replies: 14
| visibility 2,919
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic