Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Regarding Jim Phillips and the Ring of Honor
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 71
| visibility 1

Regarding Jim Phillips and the Ring of Honor

Apr 30, 2013, 12:24 AM

I'm his son and I have never publicly campaigned for him to be inducted, and am not doing so now. I will say this though. This September it will be 10 years since his death. 10 years ago I stood in TDP's office and was told something would be done to honor him. 10 years later, nothing has been done other than an award for the basketball team that has since been cancelled and the day he was honored at the game after his death. He was never a university employee but for 35 years, other than the head coaches in football and basketball, he was probably the most recognizable face associated with Clemson University. He was an ambassador for Clemson and turned down higher profile jobs to stay at Clemson. He was of a time when 4 year degrees were the exception, not the common place thing they are now. If the rule is hard and fast as it appears, then he does not warrant induction in to the ROH. But after 10 years, something should be done to honor his service to the school and it's fans. In the many years before ESPN and all games on TV, he was the Clemson families connection to there team. Yep, I'm a little prejudiced in this matter. But he deserves something. Anything.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

To me, your dad was absolutely the voice of Clemson

Apr 30, 2013, 12:40 AM

athletics in my opinion. There was something special and comforting when I heard Jim's voice.

Like many Clemson fans, I had the pleasure of meeting him while I was a student at Clemson, and his friendliness and love of Clemson went far beyond his job. I remember vividly talking to him one day and just listening to stories, and I remember thinking "Man I wish this conversation could last a lot longer."

I personally believe he should be in the ROH and I hope he makes it. But if they hold steady on the degree rule, then you are 100% right, they need to find some way to honor the man. Sure, he was the voice of Clemson, but it is more than that. How many father-son memories were created listening to Jim? How many Clemson lives were touched by that man? How many of us truly felt like we were part of something special every time we listened to him broadcast games?

I can't believe it has almost been 10 years, but even more unbelievable is the fact that nothing has been done to honor him. Believe me striperfan, as a Clemson man and a Clemson fan, your dad meant a whole lot to us, and we certainly honor that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

well said***

Apr 30, 2013, 12:56 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agreed. Jim Phillips' voice was a huge part of my childhood.

Apr 30, 2013, 6:06 AM [ in reply to To me, your dad was absolutely the voice of Clemson ]

He was and always will be The Voice of the Tigers.

He should be honored in some meaningful way.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Absolutely deserving.

Apr 30, 2013, 2:57 PM [ in reply to To me, your dad was absolutely the voice of Clemson ]

I feel sort of badly for Pete Yannity, who is a pro and does a very credible job, but he's following a legend and it has been and won't be the same for radio and Clemson.

Re: Regarding Jim Phillips and the Ring of Honor

Apr 30, 2013, 1:00 AM

There will never be another Jim Phillips as far as I am concerned. When I hear his voice I think of my father and some of the best times in my life.

Loved hearing him call the football games

Apr 30, 2013, 1:13 AM

Saying things like "Rodney sets them down in the I", "there goes the Richochet Rabbit" (referring to Stacy Driver), and my favorite - "the kick is up, the kick is.... gooood!" Great memories.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Reading your post, I heard Jim's voice saying every

May 1, 2013, 12:05 PM

one of those phrases, not my own. -brought goosebumps.

It saddens me not only that we lost such a fine soul & vital part of the Clemson Family way too early, but that the majority of coaches & bigwigs of today never experienced the phenomenon that was Jim Phillips, firsthand,& couldn't possibly ever comprehend his prominence in the backbone of Tiger Nation - in its entirety.

Rest in peace, Mr. Phillips. We miss you dearly...

The Ring of Honor??? Yeah, way overdue. And it may not even be good enough for you.

I agree with GWP and the others, and as far as I'm

Apr 30, 2013, 4:41 AM

concerned, they can change the rule or whatever. My memories of Jim go back nearly 45 years, and to me he will always remain "The Voice of The Tigers."

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I grew up listening to your dad call the games.

Apr 30, 2013, 5:03 AM

When I hear old videos today it brings back great memories of past times. He certainly deserves to be included in the ROH and hopefully with all of the support I am sure he will receive he will have his rightful spot. Go Tigers!

Let me say this

Apr 30, 2013, 5:23 AM

He earned the love of Clemson fans and he will always be remembered by us. That cannot be taken away from you - the knowledge he is so loved. An award, a naming of something in his honor, or whatever they could do, would be nice, but he earned what you already have - be proud of what your dad did and all the people he had such a positive affect on.

That being said, Clemson needs to get off it's butt and do something for what he did for our university.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We are, and we miss him greatly***

Apr 30, 2013, 8:27 AM

Apr 30, 2013, 6:03 AM

The idea that Jim Phillips has not already recieved some recognition posthumously appalls me. I understand the rules of degree requirement but an exception can certainly be made for a man who was woven into the fabric of Clemson athletics for more than 4 decades. Still today I wish I could switch on the radio and hear him call a Tiger football game just one more time.
I am to be counted among the majority of fellow Clemson Tigers who wish this oversight to be corrected by the higher ups. It is long overdue. Ring of Honor for Jim Phillips gets my ceremonial vote.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

It bothers me too. I know of at least 3 schools

Apr 30, 2013, 6:43 AM

that have a banner hanging from the rafters in their hoops arenas honoring their long time voices..GT honoring Al Ciraldo, the Coots honoring Jim's great friend Bob Fulton and Baylor (dont remember the name..one random visit there a couple of years ago). Jim at least deserves this.

Always thought the Jim Phillips radio booth at DV would be appropriate.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Orange Googlers Unite

Save Tigernet--Boot the coots(you know who I mean).

That would be cool***

Apr 30, 2013, 8:28 AM

Re: It bothers me too. I know of at least 3 schools

Apr 30, 2013, 9:37 AM [ in reply to It bothers me too. I know of at least 3 schools ]

good post... agree

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Absolutely agree......He was the very best***

Apr 30, 2013, 6:44 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He came to the farm and interviewed my grand parents about

Apr 30, 2013, 7:21 AM

why they felt giving to IPTAY was so important. They talked more about what a kind man your dad was then they did about the interview itself. Yes, your dad represented the entire university well. I am embarassed that he has not been given the recognition he so rightfully deserves..

Tiger/Terrier

Apr 30, 2013, 7:22 AM

He SHOULD be in, and there is no debate about that.

I spent countless Saturday afternoons listening

Apr 30, 2013, 7:22 AM

to your Dad's voice on the radio! He will always be remembered as 'The Voice of The Clemson Tigers', and you are correct, Honors for him are long overdue!!

I don't really remember listening to him

Apr 30, 2013, 7:34 AM

but my dad does and still talks about it. JP deserves something. His name on the press box, anything.

And dang, that means 10 years since 63-17. I wonder how JP would have called that game.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Re: I don't really remember listening to him- I agree w you

Apr 30, 2013, 7:39 AM

I think they named the press box for Bob Bradley but something should be done to honor Jim. How about the studio they use for call in shows in the WestZone for instance? Just a thought since the 4 year degree thing may be a hang up for ring of honor (should be waived for Jim IMHO)

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They pretty much waived the eligibility rules before

Apr 30, 2013, 7:50 AM

The eligibility criteria uses the phrases "their sport", individual and team" and "statistical accomplishments". It seems clear to me that the original intent was to honor former Clemson athletes. Bob Bradley was not an athlete, but I'm 100% in favor of him being in the Ring of Honor. Since a precedent has been set to relax the rules, I would have no problem with a similar "waiver" being used for Jim Phillips, or Herman McGee, for that matter.

In addition, it's no surprise that our former AD would drop the ball in this matter.

Re: They pretty much waived the eligibility rules before

Apr 30, 2013, 8:32 AM

I'm disappointed this would be dropped by Clemson generally. Youd think even Barker would have followed up to see something in the way of a lasting thing was done. In the Ath Dept there are getting to be fewer and fewer coaches who knew JIm as time goes by

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Their are many greats from the past that should be honored

Apr 30, 2013, 8:44 AM [ in reply to They pretty much waived the eligibility rules before ]

in some way. Herman McGee is one no one knew but he was a servant of Clemson and a friend to all. Bob Bradley should definitely be in the ROH, as he meets all of the criteria and I can think of no one who loved Clemson more. He gave his life to the school

I believe the press box is already named after Bob Bradley

Apr 30, 2013, 7:50 AM [ in reply to I don't really remember listening to him ]

That said, I do agree that Jim Phillips should be memorialized in some fashion. He earned it and he absolutely deserves it IMO.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

With a big smile***

Apr 30, 2013, 8:31 AM [ in reply to I don't really remember listening to him ]

Apr 30, 2013, 7:41 AM

If you never had the pleasure to listen to Jim call a game-go to youtube and listen to Jim call the 1979 Clemson Notre Dame Game. I was living in Clemson at the time he passed away-so to me that is one of the moments I will always remember where I was when it happened.

Apr 30, 2013, 7:56 AM

I grew up listening to JP and he is one of the reasons I learned to love Clemson and Clemson football. I cant believe it has been 10 yrs. I say Jim Phillips for the Ring of Honor

He was the best !***

Apr 30, 2013, 7:57 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I would be in support if him in the Ring of Honor.

Apr 30, 2013, 8:26 AM

An exception should be made to put him there, as he was not an athlete at Clemson but his many contributions to the university far outweigh those of a star athlete. Jim Phillips was as Clemson as they come.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Thank you. I agree!***

Apr 30, 2013, 8:28 AM

I think a statue would be appropriate

Apr 30, 2013, 8:30 AM

I don't think we have statues of any of the "icons" of Clemson on campus other than Clemson himself. Perhaps we could begin with Jim Phillips. I am not sure how much that would cost, but a statue of the "notables" around the stadium would be really nice in my opinion. We could lobby the admin or have personal fund drives to acquire and place such statues.

LONG over Due!***

Apr 30, 2013, 8:37 AM

Let me also say this

Apr 30, 2013, 8:38 AM

I do not believe this has been anything malicious on the university's part, more so, out of sight, out of mind. I had no doubt when I posted this many would come out in support of honoring him in some way, as over the years here countless threads have popped up about him in numerous ways. We have always known and appreciated how Clemson people feel about him, and believe me, he knew it and appreciated it as well. He did love Clemson. There truly is no place like Clemson, which is why he chose to stay. It was home, even though he never attended a class, coached a game, played a down or scored a point. He did however, ref a few games from the press box;)

your dad voice was incredible...I can still hear it now

Apr 30, 2013, 8:40 AM

I grew up in a day where the games weren't always on tv and so we "watched" through the eyes of Jim and were there through his voice. He deserves to be in the ring of honor.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Your Dad will always be Clemson Football to me.... Not many

Apr 30, 2013, 8:42 AM

games were on tv when I was growing up, especially the road games. Spent many a Sat. afternoon listening to Mr. Phillips paint the picture of my Tigers in action.....

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

agreed....as a kid I listening to basketball games on my

Apr 30, 2013, 8:44 AM

radio in my room I listened to him describe action from Carmichael, Reynolds, Cole Field House, etc....even when the games were on tv we would turn the volume off and listen to Jim.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well said - I could not agree more. I'd like to see a

Apr 30, 2013, 8:45 AM

Jim Phillips Day at Death Valley, and maybe some sort of permanent, interactive display in his honor so all could hear his voice and experience the excitement that he felt and shared with all of us.

Jim Phillips was THE most singular connection to Clemson athletics for the fan base over the course of several decades. He deserves some sort of recognition as much or more than any Clemson figure I can think of.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

now that's a great idea.....area where his greatest calls

Apr 30, 2013, 8:47 AM

are played along with information about him.....you're a scholar and a sweet old lady

I love that idea, and technology today allows for it

Apr 30, 2013, 8:49 AM [ in reply to Well said - I could not agree more. I'd like to see a ]

it would also be a very creative and honoring way to allow this generation from the last 10 years who never did hear him to do so, and see some of the great moments from Clemson history from the 70's and on.

here's one I would want to see included

Apr 30, 2013, 8:50 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucxgIGhmwes

I was in the press box for that one

Apr 30, 2013, 8:52 AM

only 14 seconds but it is still my favorite call, along with "Buckner Jams!"

my dad passed away the day before the Georgia game in 85

Apr 30, 2013, 8:54 AM

and he loved Jim so much.....know your dad was deeply loved by so many Clemson fans....Jim was Clemson to me as a kid. He was as big as the players and coaches in my mind.

Been priveledged to hear many such stories

Apr 30, 2013, 1:00 PM

and I just think it illustrates the uniqueness of his place in Clemson history

Two excellent ideas

Apr 30, 2013, 8:50 AM [ in reply to Well said - I could not agree more. I'd like to see a ]

I particularly like the interactive display idea. UK has something similar for Cawood Ledford. In fact, UK even named the floor in Rupp Arena for Ledford.

Re: Well said - I could not agree more. I'd like to see a

Apr 30, 2013, 8:50 AM [ in reply to Well said - I could not agree more. I'd like to see a ]

I was told the Museum they will house in or near the Westzone will be for the University and not just sports but your suggestion is a good one for there

It is really a great idea and that would be a great place

Apr 30, 2013, 8:53 AM

for it.

Agree!

Apr 30, 2013, 8:50 AM

The Voice of the Tigers!

25 years ago when going to games took a second priority..

Apr 30, 2013, 8:59 AM

To paying bills and raising 2 small children more often than not I would drive somewhere to be able to pick up the game on the radio. On more than one occassion , while pushing the buttons, eventually I would say- "There's Jim! Stop! Stop! That's it! There's the game!!"

It wasnt there's Clemson! It wasn't that sounds like a football game.

It was "there is Jim! Turn it up!"

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 25 years ago when going to games took a second priority..

Apr 30, 2013, 9:06 AM

I lived out of the area years ago when we played ND. We were in another town to run and errand and I found the game on the radion (ND network not CU but all I could get there). We never ran the errand we just drove around listening to the gasme in the car radio

In the days of Jim Phillips

Apr 30, 2013, 10:28 AM [ in reply to 25 years ago when going to games took a second priority.. ]

we'd mute the TV for televised games, and listen to the radio instead. Now the delay for TV is different than the one for radio and I don't really care to listen to Yannity anyway.

Apr 30, 2013, 9:05 AM

AMEN. Very well said, back in the day before TV Jim Phillips could make you see what was taking place, shoot even after games were being televised on occasions I would listen to Jim. If you were familiar with The Valley and knew what he was looking at, he would bring it to you like no other, you could see it with him. Nobody has ever brought Clemson athletics to life like Jim Phillips, and in my mind nobody ever will.

Your Dad was a legend and still is.

Apr 30, 2013, 9:19 AM

He is held in the highest regard by all of Clemson and to be honest all of the football playing schools of the South. ROH? Absolutely.

He should have been in the Ring of Honor 10 years ago!!!!***

Apr 30, 2013, 9:26 AM

Apr 30, 2013, 9:30 AM

Had the great pleasure of eating supper with your dad pre
basketball coach broadcast in Gaffney. One of the most interesting and nicest man I have ever met. He was indeed the voice of Clemson and to me will forever be the Voice of Clemson!

He should have been inducted into the ROH......

Apr 30, 2013, 9:59 AM

immediately after his untimely death - forget about the rule about a 4-year degree as he deserves an exception.

The ROH is intended to recognize the rare few who make an exceptional contribution to Tiger athletics - he certainly did that for virtually all Tiger sports since becoming The Voice of the Tigers in the late 60s - we will never have another announcer/representative like him!

Re: He should have been inducted into the ROH......

Apr 30, 2013, 10:54 AM

As a South Carolina fan I always enjoyed listening to Mr. Phillips. I sure miss the days of Jim Phillips, Bob Fulton and Larry Munson. Those guys made Saturday afternoons so exciting.

I hope he is given a spot in your ROH, he absolutely was a great ambassador for your school. RIP.

I realy do believe this thread is just a small sample

Apr 30, 2013, 10:45 AM

of evidence of the impact he had on the Clemson family. He was a friend. Someone you could run in to and just start up a conversation, and he'd talk as long as he could. He loved Clemson people, and they loved(love) him. His is a unique situation, as his relationship with the fan was unparalleled in Clemson history, because he was there voice. Thanks to all

Amen - and thank you for starting this conversation.***

Apr 30, 2013, 12:23 PM

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Have you, or members of your family

Apr 30, 2013, 4:26 PM [ in reply to I realy do believe this thread is just a small sample ]

ever been invited to "Dot the I" at Clemson?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Have you, or members of your family

Apr 30, 2013, 4:34 PM

no but c$$ts and others sure have

No, but like I said earlier

Apr 30, 2013, 6:02 PM [ in reply to Have you, or members of your family ]

I do not believe anything is afoot here. Just sort of slipped through the cracks

One of the best ever. Clemson needs to step up now.***

Apr 30, 2013, 12:37 PM

We should organize a letter/petition to make this happen.

Apr 30, 2013, 1:09 PM

I'm confident we can have a significant influence.

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Apr 30, 2013, 1:17 PM

I also grew up listening to Jim on the radio. Like others said there were very few games on the TV and the radio was the only option. Great memories listening to Jim on those beautiful fall afternoons. This audio has a couple of his calls, one when we were playing Georgia and the other from South Bend against ND. I also support Jim Phillips for the ROH.

https://soundcloud.com/public-2-1/clemsonmemories

Message was edited by: TheTIGER®

Apr 30, 2013, 2:26 PM

If the Clemson family cant honor Jim , then who can we honor .

Is there a CD for SALE of the best of JIM ?????
Money should be raised to honor him , if that's whats holding this up ???

I would buy a CD in a heartbeat.
Back in the day JIM was all we had as I was unable to go to many games .

No one was better .

Apr 30, 2013, 3:48 PM

Well said, sir. (Personally, I think you SHOULD campaign for it but that's just me. :)) I said on an earlier post that Jim should be nominated for the Ring. Or at least, name the radio broadcast booth in his memory. Didn't UGA do that for Larry Munson? and UCS did for Bob Fulton?

Our memories of Jim are fading away... we can't let this happen!

Jim was a good one! HOF - Yes, but ROH - No.

Apr 30, 2013, 5:20 PM

The degree requirement should be upheld for ROH....IMHO

Hey Jeff...met your Dad late one night at WFBC when I was

Apr 30, 2013, 6:11 PM

hanging some limited editions of lithographs of sports stars in the new WFBC Radio Station's conference room (I had designed & furnished the entire building in 1977?)..

and he just quietly walked in..looked at them on the far wall with much interest..and without looking at me with a hammer in my hand..he asked where I had found them (in Sports Illustrated)..and walked out.

Always enjoyed his commentary on the radio & TV..and glad to know his son is alive & a Clemson Man & Fan.

GoTiGERs!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I remember those lithographs

Apr 30, 2013, 6:50 PM

:)

Couldn't agree more.***

May 1, 2013, 9:29 AM

Replies: 71
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic