Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
We look like a legitimate top 25 team this year.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 2,885

We look like a legitimate top 25 team this year.

Dec 10, 2020, 4:19 PM

We are currently 4-0, all double digit wins. Three of those four are against power 5 teams, all of whom would've been NCAA Tournament teams last year (Mississippi State, Purdue, and Maryland), and two of which are likely NCAA Tournament teams this year (Purdue, Maryland).

In all three games, we pulled away at the end when challenged. Against Purdue, they made a run to tie the game, and we took over to win by 11. Against Maryland, we were up by 25, they went on a run to cut it by 10 or so, and we took over to win by 16.

Guys, this is a really good team on both sides of the ball. We get after it defensively and create a lot of turnovers and bad shots. We don't let the other team get comfortable. On offense, we can play up tempo when we need to. Almost all of our players have good range out to the three point line. Being able to rotate players regularly and go at least 10 deep, if not 12 deep, into our bench is huge.

It's obviously early. We've only played four games. Our schedule this year is probably the toughest we have ever played. The only gimmes are SC State and Morehead State. Plus, we are currently in a stretch where we play 3 games in 7 days (Maryland, at Alabama, and at Virginia Tech). No rest for the weary this year at all.

Our biggest concern should be COVID-19 and its potential impact on the season. Let's pray that we don't get a rash of COVID cases on our team, and that the pandemic doesn't result in the season being canceled. This could be one of our best basketball seasons in school history, and I would hate for it to not happen.

Enjoy this team. Support this team. This is going to be fun!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

I have been thoroughly impressed this year

Dec 10, 2020, 4:22 PM

and the depth is huge. The bench scoring has been outstanding and will be a big factor in ACC play. I also think you're being conservative when you say a legit top 25 team...they look like a legit top 15 team to me.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: I have been thoroughly impressed this year

Dec 10, 2020, 5:09 PM

Not so very long ago, I think that a Brad Brownell team made the sweet 16, and this looks to be right now as one of out best Clemson Ball teams that I can remember since becoming a Clemson BBall fan!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ahhhhhh . . . look at you 2 love birds - it's a Christmas

Dec 11, 2020, 9:48 AM [ in reply to I have been thoroughly impressed this year ]

miracle ! ! !

GET A ROOM ! ! ! !

https://www.ihg.com/holidayinnexpress/hotels/us/en/reservation

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Re: We look like a legitimate top 25 team this year.

Dec 10, 2020, 4:31 PM

Not sure I am ready to say a legitimate top 25 - but the simple fact that we are having this conversation is wonderful. We may just be.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What are we lacking to be a legit top 25 team in your

Dec 10, 2020, 4:34 PM

opinion?

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

What's holding you back?

Dec 10, 2020, 5:02 PM [ in reply to Re: We look like a legitimate top 25 team this year. ]

Are there specific deficiencies you've seen that concern you, or is your hesitation based on the fact that we have only had a handful of top 25 basketball teams in our history?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: What's holding you back?

Dec 10, 2020, 5:22 PM

Here are some quotes I read here last night (abbreviated):

Brad doesn’t know how to break a press*

Brad had a losing conference record over 10 years*

We have a good team finally, but if we had an elite coach we would make it to the Elite 8*

Brad’s trying to Lose this one*

Most of these by self-proclaimed fans. Granted, most of them are bored trolls or not very bright in general, but I thought I would answer your question since the aforementioned are likely back on FGF wringing their hands saying, “just wait Clempsin, weere cikeling back in again!”

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What's holding you back?

Dec 10, 2020, 10:59 PM

My question to them would be, did our elite coach leave, and left Brad the players he has?

Dec 10, 2020, 4:32 PM

This could be a special season. The stars have really aligned and everything has seemed to come together this year. Our roster is riddled with talented players that really mesh together.

A lot of the question marks going into the season have been answered and even exceeded expectations.

Who had honor averaging more points and played at the very least as good as Dawes had been playing?

Who had Baehre being able to handle the ball and run the court as good as he is doing? Now I know why so many people we’re talking about his NBA skill set. Praying for continued good health for him.

What about PJ Hall and that silky smooth mid range game. I mean I knew he was going to be good, but he has made probably 80% of his contested mid range jumpers.

What about O-Max? I thought he was going to be similar to donte grantham and kind of play smaller than he is. Dude is thick and seems to be able to bang down low!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“The stars have really aligned”???

Dec 10, 2020, 8:16 PM

Seriously???

When our football team has a great recruiting class and a stellar roster, do we say the “stars have aligned”?

Let’s call a spade a spade . . . Our Basketball Coaches have worked their tails off to establish the Roster we are now enjoying!!!

It has nothing to do with stars aligning . . . just simple hard work.

Re: “The stars have really aligned”???

Dec 10, 2020, 8:52 PM

Amen Skeet.

That’s all I’ve got.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: “The stars have really aligned”???

Dec 11, 2020, 9:46 AM [ in reply to “The stars have really aligned”??? ]

Skeeta56® said:

Seriously???

When our football team has a great recruiting class and a stellar roster, do we say the “stars have aligned”?

Let’s call a spade a spade . . . Our Basketball Coaches have worked their tails off to establish the Roster we are now enjoying!!!

It has nothing to do with stars aligning . . . just simple hard work.

You realize 2 things can be true at once right? The coaches and players have indeed worked their ##### off just as they have since brownell has been here.

I really like brownell as a coach and I am one of the rare people on this board that has defended him. Me saying “the stars have aligned” is no slight to brownell and the work that him, his staff, and the players have done in this offseason.

Like last year. The stars didn’t quite align and we had some pretty unlucky breaks. It was not because brownell and team didn’t work hard.

Basically our entire starting 5 left
We only had one senior who was very streaky
Baehre was hurt
Trapp was hurt the first half of the season
Chase hunter was hurt
Honor didnt get his waiver cleared so he was unable to play
We had to start a freshman point guard that had some turnover issues

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The fact that we still had those three top 5 wins

Dec 11, 2020, 12:39 PM

and also beat UNC in Chapel Hill last year speaks volumes about what a great job our coaches and players did last year despite significant adversity.

Dec 10, 2020, 5:06 PM

Well Judge, the covid vaccine is being given in England now, and hopefully it's just a short time from now that it will start to be administered here in the US...

At 68 years old, with high blood pressure, and diabetes, today couldn't be to soon IMO!!!

they are fun to watch. I hope we keep playing ball

Dec 10, 2020, 5:23 PM

The vaccine is coming. I’m sure all the players want to play.

We will only get better. We have a lot of new skill out there.

Imagine a day when Brownell sweeps the NC schools. Who would be more stunned, Clemson fans or Tobacco Road ?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: they are fun to watch. I hope we keep playing ball

Dec 10, 2020, 5:37 PM

That is a real possibility this year if Tobacco Road doesn’t wuss out when we come to town. Calling it now.... Ratface already gave us a peek at what is going to happen.

Re: they are fun to watch. I hope we keep playing ball

Dec 11, 2020, 1:22 PM [ in reply to they are fun to watch. I hope we keep playing ball ]

Both Equally I Think Dominance!!!

Convenient. Hypocritical. Says the guy who was clamoring

Dec 10, 2020, 8:00 PM

for our prestigious Clemson University to "Lead the Charge" and demonstrate to the whole country that sitting out the 2020 football season was "the right thing to do".

"Let's pray the pandemic doesn't cancel this basketball season because this is the best team we've had in (xx) number of years."

You are correct, it is. By far. But you were calling for us to be the first to opt out for football and now you're praying basketball isn't canceled.

I'm as excited as anyone about the basketball team this year. BB has finally landed a couple stellar recruiting classes and produced a fun and enjoyable product to watch this season. Whether it is due to the upgrades in facilities or the success of the football program or just dumb luck - I'm ecstatic. I'm honestly disappointed I won't be able to cheer for this team in person this season.

But I notice how you're not saying we should opt out for basketball this year. Convenient.

By the way, anyone catch coach K's latest comments? He said something to the effect of "we shouldn't be playing basketball this year because it's not safe". Also convenient!! As his team was not able to buy any big time 1 and done's this year! Convenient, right??

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He beat Carolina in Chapel Hole...

Dec 10, 2020, 8:20 PM

first time EVER!!!! He can coach here the rest of his life in my opinion. ?? Where’s the easy button?

LOL seriously?

Dec 10, 2020, 9:58 PM [ in reply to Convenient. Hypocritical. Says the guy who was clamoring ]

We know a lot more about COVID-19 now than we did four months ago. We have improved the ability to test, and test quickly. We have also developed a vaccine that will be available soon.

You’re better than this.

I have to agree, I can’t remember a more solid team

Dec 10, 2020, 8:48 PM

On both sides of the Ball.

Also, how did these guys learn to shoot in the off-season? They’re raining 3’s, getting rebounds, and can shoot ft’s.

This is really exciting.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I have to agree, I can’t remember a more solid team

Dec 10, 2020, 10:30 PM

The three’s production have to do with depth. When one of the tallest staters can consistently make three’s and your transfer + diaper dandies can shoot @ 11 deep... Easy-Peasy-Japanese.

Dec 10, 2020, 10:46 PM

Judge, I like your balanced thinking.

There are "fans" who get on BB if the team makes a couple of turnovers, or makes a run at us, and there are fans who start thinking top 10, top 5 with every win.

We have beaten some good teams but none of them are top 10 or even top 15. Let's just a) enjoy all the games wins or losses (even if they are heartbreakers, b) back the team, c) back the coach - after all he is the one who has developed the players and the depth, d) hope that the season continues, and e) we make the NCAA tournament.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 10, 2020, 11:01 PM

Nice post. The only caveat is E is irrelevant cuz
Coach K said so.

Very skrong. Very skrong indeed.

Dec 10, 2020, 10:53 PM

Can't remember having this kind of depth with talent to match through all five spots. When they huddled and 10 guys were in on it I would've been happy with whoever went in next after the break.

Enjoy indeed.

Go Tigers!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I am glad we have basketball to talk about finally....

Dec 11, 2020, 1:25 PM

maybe we will see a little less political BS on the bored now.

I have been impressed with the team so far and actually watched 3 of the 4 games.

Go Tigers!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 26
| visibility 2,885
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic