Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Memorable moments: Bushels of apples, brawls, balloons part of Clemson football history
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

TNET: Memorable moments: Bushels of apples, brawls, balloons part of Clemson football history

May 24, 2020, 8:01 AM

Memorable moments: Bushels of apples, brawls, balloons part of Clemson football history

Taking a look back at some of more colorful elements to Clemson football's history as we run down the Tigers' most memorable games. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lord those helmet paws were tiny during the Bowden era.

May 24, 2020, 8:05 AM

Ugh.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Memorable moments: Bushels of apples, brawls, balloons part of Clemson football history

May 24, 2020, 9:24 AM

Hearing the crowd erupt in laughter, not cheers, when we scored the last touchdown in the 82-24 beating of Wake Forest in 1981 is forever etched in my memory.

Re: TNET: Memorable moments: Bushels of apples, brawls, balloons part of Clemson football history

May 25, 2020, 10:54 AM

Actually laughed and preferred 63-17 in Cootlumbia over 82-24 at DV over little Wake a billion times more

May 24, 2020, 9:47 AM

Holtz came looking for a fight from the beginning like the classless POS he is.....and he got it.....a butt whoopin' on and off the field.

I don't care how many awards Keith Jackson has won...

May 24, 2020, 10:03 AM

he is an idiot for not "seeing" what caused the OSU-Clemson fight.

He CHOSE not to see it, it was plain as day.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I don't care how many awards Keith Jackson has won...

May 24, 2020, 12:00 PM

I wonder how long OSU would cry about SNL doing something like this today...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaQL6JuTSy8

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He absolutely did see it

May 24, 2020, 12:43 PM [ in reply to I don't care how many awards Keith Jackson has won... ]

I will never forget that when ABC was cutting to commercial after Woody punched Bauman, Keith Jackson, thinking they were off the air, very distinctly said “DID YOU SEE THAT?” And when they returned from commercial, not a word.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Link below. Go to about the 7:36 point, right at the commercial break.

May 24, 2020, 5:55 PM

Clearly hear Ara Parsegian(??) say “that’s the wildest GD thing I’ve ever seen!” After the commercial = crickets.

https://youtu.be/SFcpCh_ZjRo

wow, good catch... I didn't believe you until I played the video.

May 25, 2020, 6:45 AM

LOL

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A drunk will run a STOP sign, but a stoner will wait for it to turn green.

Nice! You KNOW they saw it. Just chose to gloss over it.***

May 25, 2020, 12:10 PM [ in reply to Link below. Go to about the 7:36 point, right at the commercial break. ]

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 24, 2020, 5:22 PM

The Gator Bowl game is my most memorable of the ones listed. We were sitting low on the Ohio State side and were totally blocked out and had no idea Woody had hit Charlie Bauman until breakfast the next morning at the Waffle House down the street. All we knew is we won the game and knew it would a pleasant trip back to the Upstate but a legend had coached his last game.

If my memory is correct about the coaches, one of the craziest games I rememnber was a game against Maryland in Baltimore in 1984 when neither coach was on the sidelines because they were suspended. I think the game was played in the old Memorial Stadium where the Colts played and Maryland won. We had a great time in Baltimore despite losing the game.

May 24, 2020, 8:06 PM

Ooohhh, I watched that '78 Gator Bowl on TV with my dad, who was living in Melbourne FL at the time having recently retired (from Binghamton, NY, where he himself was born and reared me and my family.) I had just finished Clemson in Architecture earlier that year. I had gotten a job in S'burg, SC (where I still live) and was home at Christmas. My dad had graduated Miami (Ohio) and was quite the Midwest "homeboy" in all things sports. But instead of congratulating me and my Alma Mater, he was really pizzouled that OSU lost the game and claimed that Charlie B had "taunted" him (Hayes) with the ball after the interception and Hayes went after him with the fury that old school gamers (like my dad) who have played the sport would expect him to. And I can actually appreciate that, but not a coach doing that. I later video-taped the play 3 different times just to ram it down my dad's throat and say, "see that?", but I never could. "Let it Be.... "

However, this weekend, I celebrate the memory of my dad and his six best buddies he lost on their way to Berlin in WWII.

Go Tigers!!!

As someone else said, I didn't even know it happened until

May 25, 2020, 6:51 AM

the next day when we saw it on the news in the hotel room. We were jumping around celebrating after Bauman's interception because we knew that sealed the win. So we missed the punch.

A drunk will run a STOP sign, but a stoner will wait for it to turn green.

May 25, 2020, 10:19 AM

This was my father's last game before he passed away. Most of my family was at the game at Jacksonville. We were sitting on the Clemson side and the fog rolled in during the second half of the Gator Bowl. It was difficult to see. Therefore, we knew about the turnover but not about Woody Hayes hitting the football player. When we got back to the hotel we heard about Charlie being hit by OSU's Hayes but we didn't know he was fired until we woke up the next morning. My father graduated from Clemson in 1933 and came back to start his teaching career in 1936. Except the time he was in the Army in World War II, he taught textile testing and weaving and design until he retired in 1975 as a professor. His name was J.V. Walters. He was the first college graduate in his family. He would be proud of the many Walters' that graduated and others that support the Tigers.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic