Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Bring on H.R.1 & S.1
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 66
| visibility 1

Bring on H.R.1 & S.1

Jan 26, 2021, 11:55 AM

Well, after a long wait, it is finally going to happen. People don’t realize how bad the dark money problem has become.
This would help put a stop to the blatant corruption we can all see with our own eyes.

It also proposes the following:
the end of partisan gerrymandering,
restoration of the Voting Roghts Act,
automatic voter registration across the country,
expanded early and absentee voting,
restore voting rights for felons,
streamline the vote-by-mail process.

I know a lot of you have a problem with making it easier for people to vote. I understand. You probably haven’t thought the whole thing through yet, so I’ll give you some time to reconsider the idea that you can run a clean election while at the same time making it easier for eligible voters to vote.

With a tight control on dark money, we will hopefully see a stronger, more principled field of candidates on the next cycle.

https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a35296946/hr1-for-the-people-bill-reform-money-in-politics/

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Have no problem making it easier to vote

Jan 26, 2021, 12:06 PM

As long as those voting are alive citizens.
Don’t you support that?

Re: Have no problem making it easier to vote

Jan 26, 2021, 12:21 PM

Why shouldn’t we let dead people vote? In fact, if a dead person can somehow make it to the ballot box, they should count that vote at least three times, just for the effort. ;)

Yes, bengal, everyone does.***

Jan 26, 2021, 1:38 PM [ in reply to Have no problem making it easier to vote ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

lol. Yep. That'll fix everything.

Jan 26, 2021, 12:09 PM

But hey, it's an improvement over letting men play women's sports.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Non-Binary Aussie?***

Jan 26, 2021, 12:22 PM

Excellent work***

Jan 26, 2021, 3:54 PM

Re: lol. Yep. That'll fix everything.

Jan 26, 2021, 4:24 PM [ in reply to lol. Yep. That'll fix everything. ]

Tiggitry,

With all due respect, I think these measures would help clean up DC more than your term limits would.

With all due respect, I think it won't.***

Jan 26, 2021, 4:31 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pay attention to which party tries to disenfranchise voters

Jan 26, 2021, 12:11 PM

hint: it's the same ones from the 60's, they just switched parties.

Or as the orange God King said: If we let people vote we will never win another election.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

Re: Pay attention to which party tries to disenfranchise voters

Jan 26, 2021, 12:24 PM

Yes, we only want our people to vote, lol. That way it would be fair to me. They treated me so horribly, counting all those votes, lol.

The largest group of disenfranchised voters are actually

Jan 26, 2021, 12:37 PM [ in reply to Pay attention to which party tries to disenfranchise voters ]

not minorities. They're not democrats. You'd think 4 years of Donald Trump and a storming of Congress and a Tea Party and a Hillary loss, and .....you'd think people would learn. Perhaps Trump's only strength was seeing a problem and taking advantage of it.

Anyway, it is what it is.

I don't think you understand what disenfranchised means***

Jan 26, 2021, 1:18 PM

LOL....wanna know how I know you never retain information?***

Jan 27, 2021, 8:21 AM [ in reply to Pay attention to which party tries to disenfranchise voters ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

felons are felons for a reason. they lost their right

Jan 26, 2021, 12:39 PM

to be a part of the process. I have zero sympathy for them and do not care what they think on such issues as policy and Government.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What about those that have served their time

Jan 26, 2021, 12:44 PM

and are now out and off of parole/probation?

they are still a felon

Jan 26, 2021, 12:48 PM

you know that. Right? Like a commutation isn't a pardon. Do you understand that too?

If you understand that, then they are still felons and stats (which you all LOVE) tell us 60% will land back in jail for another violent crime. About 30% of non-violent will end up back incarcerated. Those are low percentages too, so straight out the gate, I am just giving benefit to the felons.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm saying do you believe a felon who has served their time

Jan 26, 2021, 12:54 PM

and is no longer under probation or parole should have their voting rights again?

no, you have proved yourself to be untrustworthy

Jan 26, 2021, 12:57 PM

and you have proven yourself to be someone who doesn't value the rule of law.

To make extra money, I taught English at a jail for a while at night. I wouldn't want any of those guys voting for the next ice cream flavor at Dairy Queen.

####, sure am glad you've never made mistakes

Jan 26, 2021, 12:58 PM

in your life

This is a terrible take.

Jan 26, 2021, 1:07 PM [ in reply to no, you have proved yourself to be untrustworthy ]

Ever missed a power bill payment? You have proven yourself untrustworthy to ever have power to your home again. Oh, you paid the late fee penalty, and you think that absolves you of the issue? Sorry, you're not trustworthy.

Speeding ticket? Sorry, you're breaking the law, no more driving, friend. You PAID the speeding ticket? Well, see, that doesn't actually matter, because you broke the law in the first place. That's how it works.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This is a terrible take.

Jan 26, 2021, 1:14 PM

you should run for governor of Florida.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Come on 19B this isn't a fair comparison

Jan 26, 2021, 1:22 PM [ in reply to This is a terrible take. ]

power to your home and driving is a constitutional right unlike voting......

Felons just need to be put down period

Jan 26, 2021, 1:28 PM [ in reply to This is a terrible take. ]

Clarify "put down"

Jan 26, 2021, 1:52 PM

Surely you're not advocating for capital punishment in cases like you described.

You really believe if a person rehabilitates after serving his or her punishment, that person doesn't deserve a voice in democracy?

Weren't you also on here calling for punishment of the officer who shot the woman at the Capitol? You realize she was committing a felony, right?

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

Not a felony.

Jan 26, 2021, 1:36 PM [ in reply to This is a terrible take. ]

Felony is a whole nother game. I have several misdemeanors from my time of being young, so I am not throwing stones, I am just stating facts.

Lets argue how the justice system doesnt reform. Lets talk about how the Clinton's managed to lock up more black men that anyone else....Kamala too. Lets talk about getting these men an education and sense of self pride while in jail.

We can argue all of that and get these men to a better place in life. But being a felon sticks with you and it should in most cases.

Funny you mention that Clinton screw up

Jan 26, 2021, 1:56 PM

Because that system he pushed for caused more of those black men to get locked up and unjustly, thus putting them in the situation you champion. You can't criticize that while also demanding felons not be allowed to vote ever again.

Was that an intentional self-own, or no?

Jan 26, 2021, 2:01 PM [ in reply to Not a felony. ]

A justice system that disproportionately incarcerates minorities (for felonies). Democrats certainly don't have a sterling record in this arena, but we also won't pretend like they invented this incongruency, either. But, hey, tough cookies, black felons. Them's the breaks.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"let's get these men an education and sense of self-pride."

Jan 26, 2021, 3:50 PM [ in reply to Not a felony. ]

"take away their right to vote."

Help me figure out how you are separating these two beliefs.

ooof, no more terrible than that analogy.

Jan 27, 2021, 8:23 AM [ in reply to This is a terrible take. ]

And remember, I say that with all due respect.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is stupid.

Jan 26, 2021, 1:43 PM [ in reply to no, you have proved yourself to be untrustworthy ]

When a person has served his time, he deserves the right to vote. Period.

If a guy screwed up at 18 and did his time, and he's been a productive citizen since that release and he's say, what, in his 50s, there's no reason to strip him of his right to vote.

Thankfully your wrong opinion is a minority one and will soon be tossed aside. Only a few states strip them of permanent voting rights anyway.

File for expungement

Jan 26, 2021, 1:48 PM

its not that hard, unless you are part of the 60% that have two felonies, then its not an option and shouldn't.

Or not.

Jan 26, 2021, 1:59 PM

Because when you serve your time and face your punishment, you are a free citizen once again. Only eight states in America share your view. That'll end soon.

why would you not want to file for expungement

Jan 26, 2021, 2:02 PM

would help with jobs at the very least. Then it could get you custody rights back, as I have seen. potentially a lot of ills that felons face, can be helped with expungement. So why are are dismissing that idea? Maybe because it puts the responsibility back on the individual, which you Biden lovers hate. Self responsibility is so passe

Sure, they can do that. Shouldn't be required for voting.***

Jan 26, 2021, 2:03 PM

Oh yeah, one more thing.

Jan 26, 2021, 1:44 PM [ in reply to no, you have proved yourself to be untrustworthy ]

All those people you cheered on at the Capitol would lose their right to vote forever under your beliefs. And you would have lost it too had you been there with them.

Funny how that works

Jan 26, 2021, 1:53 PM

Hey...

Jan 26, 2021, 1:58 PM

Maybe look a little closer and notice my reply was to manac, not you.

Use the tree version of the message board if you need to.

Re: Hey...

Jan 26, 2021, 2:13 PM

Man, I hope you're never the cop that pulls me for dropping

Jan 27, 2021, 11:22 AM [ in reply to Funny how that works ]

two people off from my boat at the beach .

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So no belief in rehabilitation, huh?

Jan 26, 2021, 1:41 PM [ in reply to felons are felons for a reason. they lost their right ]

You don't think a person should be allowed to vote after he served his time?

Didn't you celebrate Trump's bipartisan efforts for criminal justice reform? I did.

Re: So no belief in rehabilitation, huh?

Jan 26, 2021, 2:10 PM

Re: So no belief in rehabilitation, huh?

Jan 26, 2021, 2:13 PM

So, what data do you have that proves rehabilitation doesn't ever happen? Other than your personal experience? Because you're arguing 100 percent it doesn't happen. Show me the data, and explain to me how those who actually do rehabilitate shouldn't be allowed to vote.

And again, my reply was to Manac, not you.

Joe got $145M in dark money last year

Jan 26, 2021, 12:48 PM

You think he's gonna sign that into law?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

to Trump’s $28 mil***

Jan 26, 2021, 12:53 PM

So both are guilty of taking dark money and it's wrong.

Jan 26, 2021, 1:37 PM

Glad we cleared that up.

It is wrong

Jan 26, 2021, 4:52 PM

And we are on tigernet knowing that, why can’t the powers that be know that?

Annnnnnnnddddddddddddd, Aussies

The powers that be do know it.

Jan 27, 2021, 7:53 AM

They don't want to stop it.

Re: Bring on H.R.1 & S.1

Jan 26, 2021, 1:35 PM

The end of partisan gerrymandering in particular instantly collapses the whole house of cards the Republican House of Representative strategy is built upon. If those districts are redrawn with neutral arbiters the GOP is going to lose anywhere between 20 and 40 seats in 2022...and maybe more than that; they did some savage damage in 2012 with operation REDMAP, which IMHO was one of the biggest anti-democratic power-grabs in American political history and is a huge part of what started the GOP down the course that just ended with Donald Trump: win at all costs, even if that cost is Democracy itself.

The bill was always going to come due for that crap at some point...and that day looks like it is now very much here.

The dark money part is big.

Jan 26, 2021, 1:47 PM

I always liked the idea that Congressmen should have to wear their sponsorships like NASCAR. I think someone even entered that as a bill once and it got shot down.

It's amazing how much our politicians don't want Americans to know who is giving them money.

Re: The dark money part is big.

Jan 26, 2021, 1:55 PM

The second the Supreme Court declared that dark money was somehow "speech" we ceased to be a democracy, and instantly became an oligarchy. We were flirting with it already, but it became official at that point. He who owned our politicians owned America, and We The People didn't even have the right to know who the eff they were.

How the justices who voted for this rationalized that this was somehow compatible with Democracy I will never know. My cynical side wonders if maybe they were paid very well to. I mean, with uncounted billions and what amounted to control of America at stake, is anybody really naive enough to think the Koch Brothers and "Citizens United" just sat passively on their hands and hoped that Court decision just turned out their way?

Re: The dark money part is big.

Jan 26, 2021, 4:42 PM

As usual, Big George is right on top of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7yzi1I_Zsk&ab_channel=RockLeGarde

Same way they rationalized an amendment intended to

Jan 26, 2021, 4:57 PM [ in reply to Re: The dark money part is big. ]

prevent slavery from happening again gives women the right to abortions. And same sex marriages are fine. I promise you if you told the legislators in 1860-whatever that their Amendment, meant to apply equal protection, would usher in a massive demand for new "rights" to be forced upon all 50 states equally, they would have balked.

Imagine if legislators were canned after two terms. Forced out of the swamp. It makes it that much harder to purchase votes, and extend careers. It would massively screw up the level and impact of lobbying when you have to start over every two terms buying another legislator, one who knows Congress will never be a career.

Re: Same way they rationalized an amendment intended to

Jan 26, 2021, 7:05 PM

I am very much in favor of term limits.

The other...we will have to agree to disagree. But we were never supposed to have a professional political class in America.

You were supposed to go do your term...and come home. I'd pick up the baton, do my public service - and it was service - and then come home. Then Cata or spoon or Obed would pick it up and go do their term...and come home.

We The People. How it was always supposed to go.

And I strongly suspect if it was still just We The People, putting the best heads we could find together and doing the best for us and everyone around us, we'd do a durn sight better job than the professional politicians who have gotten us to this sorry woeful place we're in today. There's plenty of bright folks right here in this very forum. Put the best of us together, let us put our hands on that Bible, and I think we'd do a fair-to-decent job of it.

It's how the Founding Fathers did it: the recognition that there were plenty of smart folks out there walking the street, and hey: why not put them in charge instead of blindly obeying some noble-born idiot? And it worked great...for a minute, anyhow. It's the professional politicians who came along and complicated stuff later.

We get back to that, I think it can work great again. It's not a hard idea.

Precisely why...

Jan 27, 2021, 7:46 AM [ in reply to Same way they rationalized an amendment intended to ]

Donations shouldn't be considered "free speech".

...with the actual dollar numbers under each.***

Jan 26, 2021, 11:24 PM [ in reply to The dark money part is big. ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I may be breaking my own rule here regarding Aussies

Jan 26, 2021, 4:09 PM

We all know the difference between a MIP and a felony

We all know the difference between being impeached by the house and convicted by the senate

We are all somewhat in belief that the current impeachment of a non sitting president is to thwart him from running from public office again

Maybe at this point my idea is becoming clear

Why does a conviction in impeachment result in never running for office again differ from a conviction of a felony result in never voting again?

Can’t Trump serve his time and be rehabilitated just like the convicted rapist?

I don’t think I’m really going whataboutism, just more curious of the big picture and the difference between regular citizens and politicians

Also, I don’t really know how I feel about felons voting

Jan 26, 2021, 4:12 PM

I think I see both sides

Also, I’m kinda curious how many registered convicted felon voters there would be if they could vote? Enough to swing an election?

Re: Also, I don’t really know how I feel about felons voting

Jan 26, 2021, 4:45 PM

fluff,

I am not sure I agree, but I take your point.

I guess I just wonder

Jan 26, 2021, 4:51 PM

How many convicted felons that are out of jail could be registered to vote and how many would if they were allowed to?

I just don’t see that being a number that would sway an election

(I’ve gotta TU someone else before I’m can on this because of the George Carlin post)

I don't think that's whataboutism

Jan 27, 2021, 7:51 AM [ in reply to I may be breaking my own rule here regarding Aussies ]

I think it's apples and oranges. Impeachment is a criminal procedure, and it doesn't strip a person of any rights.

We have to consider that a person who would be removed from office has to have committed an extreme abuse of office. It's never happened. Hell, we may not even properly do it now after a president tried to overthrow Congress and become dictator.

A person who has been removed from office for egregious abuses of power shows he is incapable of holding such power again, and it 's in place to send a message to others who would choose to do the same.

It's like how we don't let the sex offender back around children.

Voting is a punishment that doesn't fit anymore after a person has left prison.

Your sex offender example is a micro example of the

Jan 27, 2021, 8:51 AM

macro nature of the issue.

Yes, you keep a sex offender away from kids for obvious reasons.

But why would you potentially give the same sex offender the ability to vote for or against laws that could impact their proclivity after having shown no regard for existing laws?

That's the big point....you've shown indifference, or disdain even for the system of laws, you lose your say in the matter going forward---I get it.

Interestingly, in the earliest days that I can find of states enacting these laws, it really preceded slaves even being considered to vote, so it wasn't a racial issue at the time....the wording of most state's laws focused on those convicted of bribery, perjury (and they also often added "infamous crimes"). Reading between the lines, they were focused on those who tried to influence the election process with coercion or money. Wish that were the case now.

Re: Your sex offender example is a micro example of the

Jan 27, 2021, 9:09 AM

Someone who demonstrates unapologetically sociopathic behavior probably doesn't deserve voting rights, because they have no respect for the social contract. If they have no concept of the greater good, why should they get a vote?

Of course, almost anyone who is sane would also argue Donald Trump is a sociopath, so....

Despite the incredibly Australian nature of that reply,

Jan 27, 2021, 11:17 AM

I’m 2/2 in agreeing on you there. So we agree....felons shouldn’t vote?

Re: Despite the incredibly Australian nature of that reply,

Jan 27, 2021, 11:32 AM

Iffy on that.

There should be a path back. It shouldn't be easy.

It SHOULD involve making your victims whole somehow.

I'm not a big believer that sociopaths can really be reformed (or usually want to be), and I'm about as close to dead-certain as I can get that a psychopath almost always cannot be. They just don't have those files on their hard drives. And it's really not that hard to diagnose somebody with anti-social personality disorder or rate somebody on the PCL-R Checklist...it's actually reasonably straightforward, actually. Shrinks have more luck with sociopaths because it's a problem of nurture and not nature but at the end of the day we're still talking long odds.

The biggest problem as I see it,

Jan 27, 2021, 11:49 AM

Is that I would wager a percentage of our elected representatives, at a rate much, much higher than the general population, are indeed sociopaths.

There’s no way I can see that one could crave power enough to wade through the sh## required to get into such a position—-the personal attacks, the back stabbing, payola, and general sub-human behavior required to put oneself in a position to win and remain in office for decades. Sociopathy is a more reasonable explanation than a desire for magnanimous public service.

Re: The biggest problem as I see it,

Jan 27, 2021, 11:57 AM

And it's really not that hard a thing to spot, either...and it should be enough to get someone DQ'd from holding office...in much the same manner as sadism - another treat that's easily diagnosed - should be enough to DQ someone from police service.

We've got some pretty solid psychological tools available to us nowadays, but we're not applying them like we should.

Can you imagine the problems that would magically vanish (and overnight!) without sociopathic politicians or sadistic cops?

Replies: 66
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic