Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Has it worked out well for any football players
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

Has it worked out well for any football players

Jan 11, 2021, 3:30 PM

who’ve transferred out of the Clemson Program to play somewhere else over the past four years? What I’m really asking is anyone has transferred and gotten drafted after doing so? The grass always appears to be greener on the other side, for some.
Go Tigers

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Has it worked out well for any football players

Jan 11, 2021, 3:35 PM

As far as “worked out” in terms of nfl success I can’t think of anyone who’s transfered and had success in NFL. But I do think several young men have transferred and been successful in getting a grad degree and expanding/making connections while playing the game the love

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 11, 2021, 3:37 PM

I think Scott Pagano may have been drafted or signed with NFL don’t know for sure though

He never made it to the NFL

Jan 9, 2022, 10:20 PM

..after transferring to Oregon.

As far as transfers go, he was an epic fail. Last I saw he trying to make it in the XFL.

He was relegated to a backup DT at Oregon and rarely saw the field (I believe he was injured for part of the season).

Jan 11, 2021, 3:40 PM

Zerrick Cooper has done well at Jacksonville State. Certainly improved his standing than if he had stayed here on the bench.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Jan 11, 2021, 5:42 PM

True like Simmons @ the Citadel but both of them moved down in competition not lateral to another P5 program.

Have any been expected too?

Jan 11, 2021, 3:46 PM

It seems most of our transfers out have been guys who were in too much competition or were too far down the depth chart to see the field anyway.

Take Tavien Feaster for example. I not excited he went to SC anymore than anyone else but would it have mattered where he went? He didn't leave because the "grass was greener" as much as he wasn't gonna be on the grass here.

Same with Kelly Bryant. Another example whom I don't like the way it was handled but he didn't have a better shot in the NFL if he stayed.

Chase Brice did it in a class act and he seemed to me the most promising. I actually thought he had a good shot going to Duke but after seeing what else they had I get the App State move and genuinely think he still has a shot if he can do well there. That being said, he was never going to play here in a meaningful role that would have allowed him to make the pros.

My question is, have there been players who've transferred out of Clemson for "greener grass?" It's a byproduct of our success that guys will come in and get passed on skill and then if they want to play, they'll have to seek that playing time elsewhere.

Re: Have any been expected too?

Jan 11, 2021, 5:49 PM

Dabo handled it as well as it could be. KB didn’t like being demoted. Then acted like a irrational child not getting his way and abandoned his friends and teammates.

Yes I know some of his teammates publicly supported him but I guarantee you not all of them and NFL coaches and scouts saw it and were probably not impressed. I’m fact I’ve heard many saw it negatively!

Jan 11, 2021, 4:09 PM

McMichael at UNC has worked. Kelly Bryant had a good year. Zerrick Cooper. Chase Brice although not a great year got to be a starter at Duke.

Jan 11, 2021, 4:36 PM

This! McMichael has worked out great for UNC. He, along with Tony Grimes and Storm Duck will make up one of the better defensive backfields in the ACC next season.

Jan 11, 2021, 5:35 PM

Tony Grimes certainly plays like a 5*. Dude is a baller and a great get for y’all. A year early at that.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 11, 2021, 4:11 PM

Not so much. Brice and Johnson at qb have not done very well. Cooper ok but not as tough a league where he is.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 11, 2021, 4:13 PM

Also you should note that if you're transferring due to playing time odds are you're not going to the NFL if you can't beat another college player normally.

Feaster didn't get drafted, but

Jan 11, 2021, 4:19 PM

he signed with and was on the PS for three different NFL teams (Jacksonville, the New York Giants, and Detroit). He was subsequently waived by all three.

That said, it was an opportunity to prove himself to an NFL franchise.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Jan 11, 2021, 4:25 PM

Zarrick Cooper comes to mind. Hunter Johnson for personal reasons. Think Bowman will do well at FL.

Jan 11, 2021, 5:01 PM

Chad Kelly did alright for himself.

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic