Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Hate to be a Debbie Downer but at some point we are going...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 36
| visibility 1

Hate to be a Debbie Downer but at some point we are going...

Dec 12, 2019, 9:47 PM

to lose a game. I sure as he!! hope it isn't against Ohio State because I hate them and their fans and have for a very long time.

That being said - If our DL and blitzes don't get more pressure on them than they did against UVA we will be in for a long night. I don't think they will stop our offense but do we really want a shootout? D-Line has to really step up compared to what I've seen the last two weeks.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hate to be a Debbie Downer but at some point we are going...

Dec 12, 2019, 9:48 PM

No doubt.

Dec 12, 2019, 9:52 PM

I agree , DL is my main concern in the playoffs.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 12, 2019, 9:55 PM

Seriously! What was up with our DL against UVA??? I’m sure it’s Germanic, but I didn’t get in TNet much after the game... so I’m out of the loop.

HOLDING by UVA Was Insane***

Dec 12, 2019, 10:13 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's a loser excuse

Dec 12, 2019, 11:43 PM

Every message board I've ever been on has fans complaining about holding after every game.

Re: That's a loser excuse

Dec 13, 2019, 9:14 AM

While I don't disagree with you, CU does seem to not get the benefit of a disproportionate number of holding calls when they clearly effect the play. Last season, with all of the hype around our D-Line, it was almost as if they had to overcome that perception on every play just to make a routine one. Maybe the refs were guilty of bias in the opposite direction in that they didn't want it to appear they were "helping" those players. That would be similar to coming down hard on a favorite player so that it didn't look like favoritism.

That being said, when playing a highly mobile QB (Lamar Jackson, Michael Vick, etc.) you can't always straight rush. If the QB can dodge the rusher then there is a huge hole in the defense for him to exploit. Watch some of the VT game. They brought some good pressure and he gashed them repeatedly for 20-30 yard runs. We want to see hits, pressures, and sacks, but it makes good sense to force the QB to rely on their arm... especially with #11 roaming the field. Don't play into their strengths and make the team beat you, not the player.

Dec 12, 2019, 9:52 PM

I’m optimistic.

When we do lose it will be lack of preparation and focus. That shouldn’t be an issue these last 2 games.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 12, 2019, 10:04 PM

We played vanilla defense almost entire game...by design. We will play vanilla in next two games. Same goes for offense. I’m not worried at all about the defense. Back up and see the chess that we play with what we out on film...dual threat QB got defended by basic stuff in ACCcg on purpose...will have totally different package for Fields.

Dec 12, 2019, 10:05 PM

* will NOT play vanilla in next two games.

We blitz a lot against UVA and got very little pressure in

Dec 12, 2019, 10:16 PM [ in reply to Re: Hate to be a Debbie Downer but at some point we are going... ]

the backfield.

Dec 12, 2019, 9:55 PM

Hate to say it, but the OS31 offensive line is legit. Hopefully we are up to the task. I'm worried, but I trust BV will have a masterfully crafted plan. Go Tigers!

Dec 12, 2019, 10:02 PM

I always hear how good they are, but wasnt Fields sacked a ton of times.

According to all the bucknut "fanalysts"

Dec 12, 2019, 10:10 PM

They're great at run blocking on the interior, but not so great in pass protection on the edges.

Dec 12, 2019, 10:12 PM [ in reply to Re: Hate to be a Debbie Downer but at some point we are going... ]

Only like 3 times as much as TL got sacked. They are ELITE

Dec 12, 2019, 10:14 PM [ in reply to Re: Hate to be a Debbie Downer but at some point we are going... ]

True good point. He was sacked like 30 times. I can't argue that. They're big and nasty, but maybe super slow! Ha!

Dec 13, 2019, 8:51 AM [ in reply to Re: Hate to be a Debbie Downer but at some point we are going... ]

I swear I hear how good 0310 st is every year and they beat up on the B10 then get their cherry popped as soon as they play someone with a pulse. 0310 st maybe beat us that remains to be seen but I have watched 5 of their games this year and there is nothing that they do that scares me. Athlete for athlete we are better across the board and the biggest difference is our guys have been there, done that, got the trophy, and nary once have you seen or heard doubt in these players. The character of our team is off the charts and these are guys that love, trust and are actually brothers in everything but DNA. We haven't played our best ball yet(that is freaking scary), our staff has played it pretty close to the vest all year because frankly there is no need to open the playbook when there isn't a threat of a team staying close. People will bring up the UNC game, but will conveniently forget the other 12 blowouts, yea 12 BLOWOUTS. I don't know if 0310st can stay within 17 of us, but I can guarantee this, with all the narrative that has been out there the last 5 weeks and now that we are down to 2 games 0310St has our full, unbridled attention by not only the Coaches but the players also. These next 4 weeks may give Finebum a massive coronary as he has to admit he was wrong yet again! I hope Dabo then lays into him with both barrells!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 12, 2019, 9:58 PM

Think about all of the posts from last year complaining about the offensive line and secondary. Then we play Alabama and wham, both units play lights out. OSU is going to get yards and score some points. We are going to score more. Our team will be ready. Relax. The coaches have this. We need to do our part and get people in the seats ready to yell.

Dec 12, 2019, 10:02 PM

A great offensive game plan can take pressure off an OL. That’s probably the biggest reason for the difference in play.

Look at UGA. They have the best Talent and coaching in the country at OL (supposedly). their offense is so predictable everyone thinks their OL sucks now.

That's fine and I can handle that

Dec 12, 2019, 10:00 PM

as long it is 100 years from now.

Dec 12, 2019, 10:09 PM

Contain the mobile QB was the order of the day vs UVA, not pass-rush and blitz. Every team gets a different look, it's why CBV is so darn good.

Dec 12, 2019, 10:15 PM

I think we get Big Dex back for the playoffs so that should help with the pass rush

Dec 12, 2019, 10:23 PM

I agree about the dL and pressure against UVA but I compare the defensive game against uva this year to our game vs S CAROLINA last year giving up all the passing yards...after that game...it didn’t look very hopeful against the likes of a Bama passing attack...I trust our coaches and their “Big Picture” vision!!! I really do...I think we beat Ohio State handily as well as LSU handily!!!

Ohio States glory comes from beating Wisconsin and Penn State...oh yeah Michigan...same story...different year...Penn State is not a top football team...my gosh...the CFP committee has them rank in front of us at one time...they barely beat Pitt!!!

LSU’s glory came from beating Texas early on, which ended up losing 4/5 games...the only reason people thought Texas was good was because they beat UGA in the bowl last year and UGA almost beat Bama in the Sex championship game therefore should have been in the playoffs...we beat Bama by 28 and it should have been 35...UGA wasn’t an elite team last year, therefore neither was Texas ... it’s all the hype machine that was predicated on Bama being the best team ever and the SEC being the best conference ever...

False premises lead to false conclusions...it will prove to be true again this year...there is only one elite team...that is us...Dabo knows...

Dec 12, 2019, 11:06 PM

Yeah. That.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

I bet the Sex championship was thrilling to watch though.

Dec 12, 2019, 11:30 PM

They say the passion and emotion are unmatched in Mercedes Benz stadium

Dec 12, 2019, 10:55 PM

You can't bring alot of pressure and constantly blitz true running QBs like Bryce Perkins they are to dangerous if you don't get to them, that's why you see alot of zone mix. With Zone you are going to give up alot of yardage with short quick passes but also limit the 20 and 30 yard runs.
No disrespect to Justin Fields but he ain't Bryce Perkins.

Dec 13, 2019, 1:57 PM

Agreed. We played gap discipline and did not blitz as much as Venables usually does or prefers to do. Still have to watch Fields' running ability but the lack of pressure by the d-line was by design from what I could see. Coach V will have plenty cooked up for the bucknuts with a month to prep.

Spot the ball. Go Tigers!!!!!

Dec 12, 2019, 11:24 PM

Hopefully we can put that off 5 or sux more years.

Dec 13, 2019, 12:14 AM

I'm starting to think some of you guys don't understand the game very well. For starters, we have Brent Venables at the helm and I'd say he's done a #### good job so far, so stop worrying. He knows better than you. Secondly, stop complaining about the lack of sacks or lack of pressure against UVA. You need to realize that on A TON of the plays we were playing a "contain" style scheme at the line. You can't bring the same blitzes at a mobile QB that you bring against a statue.

Dec 13, 2019, 12:28 AM

I'm sorry OP, but you obviously do not understand how good Perkins is at QB. He is the only QB we have faced that can put his team on his back and carry them. Just watch the VT game with UVA, and you might see this. Also, Perkins is tons better at QB than Fields even thinks he is. Perkins is more elusive, throws better, and runs thru tackles better than Fields ever will.

Just watch the play in the UVA that Skalski had Perkins in the backfield for a huge sack, but Perkins broke the tackle and scrambled for a first down. If that was Fields on that play, then he would be sacked easily. Apples and Oranges my friend. No comparison.

CLEMSON is going to crush them, and it won't be a pretty sight for the OSU women and children.

Yes - someday CLEMSON will lose, ESPN will throw a champagne party and declare the SEC as world class champions after losing 20 straight to CLEMSON, and Paul Finebomb will collapse while celebrating, so there's always a silver lining to losing.

Just relax, enjoy the ride, because you might never see any team in your lifetime that can repeat this ride. Nobody will ever repeat this incredible feat.

dude come on, perkins over fields?

Dec 13, 2019, 5:26 PM

That's crazy talk.

Ahhhhhh and Shut Your Pie Hole

Dec 13, 2019, 8:28 AM

Enjoy the ride!

Go Tigers!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 13, 2019, 8:35 AM

I really got to say I thought XT would have been a lot more visible force from the DE position (at least before the concussion). Now he will be entering his junior year without ever having that dominant game so far. I suppose not having Wilkins and Lawrence in the middle has made it easier to scheme against his speed rush. Hopefully he has a break out starting with the CFP.

I used to believe we couldn’t lose forever

Dec 13, 2019, 9:26 AM

at UNC in basketball but yet here we are. So maybe we don’t actually have to ever lose a football game again after all.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jstone D329 - “ It’s ok to want a coaching change”
Brownell @Clemson: 8 seasons ranked 50th or worse by Sports Reference’s SRS
1-29: Brad Brownell road record against ranked ACC opponents
142, 161, 294, 307, 293, 166, 225, 180, 260, 164, 141, 72, 68 - assist rankings amongst all D1 programs during Brownell's tenure

Dec 13, 2019, 9:46 AM

Losing a game? Sounds like a 2022 issue.

Dec 13, 2019, 1:15 PM

I know that most of our defensive stats are better than last year, but the DL is still somewhat of a question mark to me to be honest. Don't get me wrong, our defense is very good this year, and you don't put up the numbers they put up this year without being really good no matter who you're playing. However, we haven't been nearly as dominate on the DL which isn't a surprise considering all we lost. I'm curious to see how our DL performs in these next 1-2 games against teams with good OL and running games. I do have a ton of confidence in BV to make it all work though.

its going to be a ball game

Dec 13, 2019, 2:42 PM

winner will end up winning the national title imo..those who think we run away with it are fooling themselves

Replies: 36
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic