Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
25 years ago Clemson fired Coach Ford. Any good Ford stories
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 1

25 years ago Clemson fired Coach Ford. Any good Ford stories

Jan 16, 2015, 8:58 AM

I believe it was this weekend 25 years ago when our legend Danny was fired. Anybody got some good personal or interesting Coach Ford stories? Is he still the youngest coach to win a national championship? I have a good Danny story from this past season. After the SC State game my wife and I were downtown Clemson walking down Sloan Street around dinner time. I saw Coach Ford standing alone on the sidewalk past Sloan street tap room going towards the downtown garage. I was walking towards him on the sidewalk so I decided to say hello to the coach, shake his hand and be on our way as I didn't want to bother the man. As I was shaking his hand a car pulls up right next to us. In the car was legendary SC State coach Willie Jefferies and his wife. They were picking up Danny and going out for dinner. Danny asked me if I knew who was the man in the car and I recognized it was Coach Jefferies. Coach Jefferies told me that Clemson fans have always been great and that they used to wake up to me on Sunday mornings waiting to see Danny. He was obviously referencing his coaching show coming on tv before the Danny Ford show on Sunday mornings. Then Danny goes to get in the back seat of the car on the way to dinner and asked my wife if she wanted to go with him. He said I wasn't good looking enough to invite. He was laughing as I was as well. Gotta love Danny.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Went to watch spring practice in 1977, Coach Pell's first

Jan 16, 2015, 9:09 AM

year. The newly hired OL coach was Danny. He was nasty. Every other word was mother ######, GD, or SOB. I knew some of the offensive lineman and actually felt kind of sorry for them, but they became a great unit in the fall of 77.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Danny fought for his Tigers!

Jan 16, 2015, 9:11 AM

http://youtu.be/ZFKXOwEORBo

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You and I understand the significance here - The Administra-

Jan 16, 2015, 10:20 AM

tion however was sore ashamed bless their self imposed death penalty little hearts.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Has taken us almost all of the past 25 years to recover

Jan 16, 2015, 12:27 PM

Clemson football was on a roll in the late 80's, getting any recruit we wanted, the bigger the game the better chance of winning, Danny had matured as a coach, we were finally getting respect in the football world, were on our way to another National Championship,...

Any then the inner child of our Administration came out and in one moment killed everything Ford and Clemson had worked for the previous decade.

Wonder how long before the petty jealousies of our administration will determine that they can no longer stand the success and limelight that Dabo has worked for,....???

Don't think it can't happen again. Lots and lots of small minded folks out there!

Different BOT, different era... It's all about the money.

Jan 16, 2015, 12:33 PM

Dabo's putting up wins and graduating players in a 'clean' environment. I don't see anything changing anytime soon.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Money (as in salary) is often part of the issue

Jan 16, 2015, 12:41 PM

Some of those in academia can't seem to come to grips with the fact that the jocks get paid more than their self righteous selves.

... and then the BOT explains why.***

Jan 16, 2015, 12:42 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I sure do miss that man!!! Danny and Dabo are two vastly

Jan 16, 2015, 1:04 PM [ in reply to Has taken us almost all of the past 25 years to recover ]

different men, I can see Danny having the same conversation with the administration as he did with that officiating crew! lol

Very different indeed. Dabo has class. Danny, not so much.***

Jan 17, 2015, 5:21 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

that remains the worst call I ever have seen

Jan 16, 2015, 11:35 AM [ in reply to Danny fought for his Tigers! ]

go against Tigers in my lifetime. A complete abortion of a call. Utter garbage.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: that remains the worst call I ever have seen

Jan 16, 2015, 11:38 AM

its real close to the top of the list, even after all these years.

Coach Ford, like all Clemson fans, eventually just got tired of getting hosed by the ACC and ACC officials......

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

my Pop was an ND fan but was closet Tiger fan

Jan 16, 2015, 11:42 AM

Remember watching the game and he went ballistic on that call right along with me. My Mom did too. It was surreal seeing that. What a joke of incompetence.

I can't come up with a worse call

Jan 16, 2015, 12:42 PM [ in reply to Re: that remains the worst call I ever have seen ]

except for when Colarado got 5 downs against Mizzou in 1990 to share MNC with GT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQJT8q0MMwQ

You can start about minute at the 3 minute mark.

1st and goal from the goal from the 4 clock running:

1st down - spike the ball to stop the clock
2nd down - run
timeout
3rd down - run, don't get in but hurry up to stop the clock again
4th down - spike the ball to stop the clock
5th down - SCORE! the funny part is, he didn't even score on 5th down

crazy how blatant it was

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

with shady Bill McCartney as coach

Jan 16, 2015, 12:45 PM

Mr. Promise Keepers Christian himself, what a joke. Remember it well.

how did the anouncers miss it

Jan 16, 2015, 1:05 PM

They caught it, certainly they had a crew that was checking it. The crowd sure caught it! They knew they won. All of the refs can't count? It's not just one ref blowing the call.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

that was pre replay where officials had total power

Jan 16, 2015, 1:18 PM

And there were no do overs....dark times for coaches, players, and fans.

Re: Danny fought for his Tigers!

Jan 17, 2015, 3:58 PM [ in reply to Danny fought for his Tigers! ]

I was at that one...Wow...what a crock of BS and a fictitious catch. I remember the big fight afterwards too.

a grew up a ford guy..my dad was a ford guy

Jan 16, 2015, 9:15 AM

I had Ford's all my life.

When I had my 1st kid iwas driving a Ford probe gt.. with a v6. Loved it. . Loved it.

Didn't love driving around with a car seat so I committed to buying a suv the old tax return the following year. At the time suv for me meant expedition. .ima ford guy.

Got a letter from Ford about a factory recall on the Catillitic converter in the probe could catch fire and said take it to the closest Ford dealer for a replacement.

I take my probe and the letter to Mr fairway ford on Laurens rd, greenville sc. Usa...

Dropped my car off got a coworker to take me back to work.

8 hrs later..went to pick up my sweet ride with brand new catillitic converter. Not so fast.

Apparently the guy I bought it from had welded the muffler on. . Fairway said they couldn't even touch a car that had been modified. Crap..oh well. I asked if I could get the converter and I would take to a muffler shop. I don't want to catch fire wIth my daughter in the back so I'd be Willing to pay someone else to put it on.

Not sir. Mr fairway said he wouldn't give me the part either. . Have a nice day.

I tHink it was a month. . Maybe 2 later I went and bought a Chevy tahoe. Mr fairway saved that $300 on the converter and lost $30k .. THAT'S JUST GOOD BUSINESS. I've bought 2 more cars since then. . So another 50k lost.

I have a friend who works for ford and can get me a family discount but I told him noooo thanks. Mr fairway ruined Ford's rep with me for life.

There is my Ford story. Sorry for the rant but I also take every opportunity I can to poop on mr fairway.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

He told me once to "Get the He!! outta' my drive!!!"

Jan 16, 2015, 9:17 AM

Good times.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

A group of us were sitting in the weight room in Jervey....

Jan 16, 2015, 9:29 AM

one afternoon. It was a combination of football, basketball, and soccer players (which was pretty common) and a few coaches including Coach Ford and Coach Bill Foster.

Coach Ford starts telling Coach Foster this story of a recent recruiting trip. He's on his way to visit a recruit at a high school in Arkansas. He's late, it's raining, it's dark, and he gets lost.

He's out in the middle of nowhere in this very rural area and he finally sees a convenience store so he goes inside to ask for directions.

Completely lost and now desperate to find the high school gym he needed in Arkansas, he's asking the lady behing the counter for help and she kept saying, "Where is it?"

Coach Ford finally says to her, "That what I'm asking you".

By now Coach Ford is getting aggravated and finally says, "Well it's somewhere in Arkansas isn't it?'

The lady behind the counter says "I don't know honey, but you're in Mississippi."

Embarrassed, Coach Ford said he bought a Coke, got the directions to cross the state line, and went on his way.

I don't know if it's true or not but listening to him tell the story sure was funny.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: A group of us were sitting in the weight room in Jervey....

Jan 16, 2015, 9:35 AM

Not my story but saw it here. One football Saturday coach ford was at a local convenience store early. This guy is waiting behind him in line as he buys feminine protection. As he leaves he sees the guy recognizes him and tells the guy, " beats all doesn't it "

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Crossed the Mississippi without knowing...pretty funny***

Jan 16, 2015, 10:04 AM [ in reply to A group of us were sitting in the weight room in Jervey.... ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

1979 my 9 year old Son & I walked into NDame Stadium with Him & Team

Jan 16, 2015, 10:21 AM

On the Friday afternoon walk-thru..and when going onto the playing field I stated out-loud (so the players would hear it so not to be intimidated) that their field & grass didn't look any more special than ours.

Danny muttered: YEP! And, 24 hours later TiGER Team had a Victory over Irish.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Leaving Gator Bowl in 1978

Jan 16, 2015, 9:48 AM

My Uncle, Aunt, and cousin saw Danny with a crowd of media types around him under the stands taking questions. My Uncle said they walked over and saw Danny reach back, grab a milk crate to stand on and had a cup in his hand. My Unc said he watched for a minute while Danny answered questions with a wad of tobacco in his mouth, spitting in the cup, standing on a milk crate under the stands.

Re: 25 years ago Clemson fired Coach Ford. Any good Ford stories

Jan 16, 2015, 12:13 PM

Rodney Quick was a running back for Danny Ford and I remember him telling a story about a bad day of practice. Coach wasn't happy with the way they practiced that afternoon and told the players to go get dinner, but not to change out of their practice uniforms because they were going to come back out and practice some more. Even though Rodney was done playing football when he told me this story-you could almost see the fear in his eyes from hearing Coach Ford tell them to come back out even several years later.

Jan 16, 2015, 1:18 PM

A Dark Day!

Jan 16, 2015, 1:58 PM

I went to a wild turkey federation game dinner about six years ago and danny was there. My buddies wife knew I was a clemson fan so she went over to him and asked if he could come over and take a pic with me. So of course he said yea, after he took a pic he shook hands with everybody at the table and stood there and aggravated another guy I work with who was wearing some coot gear. But right before he walked off he said, "If I could only get fired from one more job I could go ahead and retire." He was as nice a fella you'd ever wanna meet.

Jan 16, 2015, 8:19 PM

Saw him at a Shriner function last year. Laughed talking about the Citris Bowl when we played Ok and beat switzer and keith Jennings and team was in field warming up. Jennings threw the Fb and nailed the driver of the sooner wagon right between the eyes. Accidentally of course

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Jan 16, 2015, 8:26 PM

I heard he left bc his daughter who i believe went to Daniel was dating somejuan he didnt favor

I was bird hunting with the head of IPTAY when we heard

Jan 17, 2015, 3:21 PM

About Ford resigning over the radio. I was speechless. Mr. IPTAY was so happy he was dancing. He told me me that they had a coach lined up that was better than Ford. We all know how that ended up. I never hunted with him again.

Wyndie '80

Message was edited by: Wyndie®

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think they actually did it over Christmas break.

Jan 17, 2015, 5:38 PM

I remember "rushing the presidents house" that Sunday when i got back to school after break and found out about it.

Replies: 31
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic