Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Has our offensive tempo slowed down???
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

Has our offensive tempo slowed down???

Dec 1, 2019, 8:31 PM

To me we don’t seem to go as fast as we did in the chad Morris era or even 2016 natty game where we tired bama out. Just curious if there’s a reason we’ve slowed down some. Not complaining because our offense is dang near perfect but I didn’t know if there was a reason. Anyways GO TIGERS!!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Has our offensive tempo slowed down???

Dec 1, 2019, 8:35 PM

Not complaining because our offense is dang near perfect

Maybe because it wasn't perfect before is the reason. Our defense has become a lot better since the days of always having 100 snaps a game on offense ended.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 1, 2019, 8:36 PM

Yes we have slowed down. Tempo is a gimmick for teams with sub par personnel. Loaded teams eat clock and dominate time of possession. Thankfully, we have intentionally slowed down.

Dec 1, 2019, 9:18 PM

Lol. So you think we are a ball control, kill the clock team?

We have the ability. See 4th q in the natty last year.

Dec 1, 2019, 9:28 PM

The most dominant non scoring Clemson drive I've ever seen.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

In my opinion, you really only run the fast

Dec 1, 2019, 8:39 PM

tempo if you think you're outmatched, even if it's only by a relatively small margin. With the massive upswing in recruiting, especially on the O line, it's better to just make sure you're running the play you want. Plus, it can put a burden on the d.

Dec 1, 2019, 8:46 PM

With the offense able to make plays at will, theres no need to speed it up. Dabo is meticulous. Going fast has the potential for making more mistakes. Possession/control outstrips tempo. You also have the potential for putting too much pressure on your D. If you look, most of the major teams dont use a tempo offense anymore...spread, yes

Dec 1, 2019, 9:06 PM

When we had the smallest OL in FBS football, stamina was a strength and we used tempo to our advantage. Now we've got one of the largest OL's in FBS, so playing up tempo wouldn't be to our advantage.

The West Virginia Game Happened! Plus,

Dec 1, 2019, 9:17 PM

Once Chad Morris left for SMU and our New OC's came in and won a bowl game with Cole Stoudt - it was over! The tempo helps tire out DL's for sure; but look at our game against WVA as exhibit A. if we didn't get 1st downs we were putting the defense "right back on the field"! This caused a worn out defense early on and it just avalanches from there.
Depending on the opponent - going faster may be a necessary evil. That or quick game until the opponents DL slows down some. But, no need for it if you can hold your own up front. Lately we have been able to do that and then some.
Exhibit B. "most Big 12 defenses"! They are so use to not really lining up that even when they have time they are often not lined up properly. It affects your preparation too if you aren't careful.

Using it "as needed" has been good to Clemson!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We don't need to run that fast any more. We just line up

Dec 1, 2019, 9:10 PM

and have our way with them.

Dec 1, 2019, 9:22 PM

This thread is hilarious.

Of coarse we still run a tempo offense. It’s just not at hyper speed like chad Morris wanted it.

Dec 1, 2019, 9:23 PM

Another factor often forgotten is a tempo offense kills your own defense. When the high tempo spread teams began to emerge in the late 90s, they all had a common problem, their defenses sucked. It was eventually realized that the defenses were not bad, but they were constantly on the field. You can not run a tempo offense without your defense paying a very high price.

we are doing well but I’d still like to see several tempo

Dec 1, 2019, 9:34 PM

Drives a game. Good for the players to practice and I bet it would result in more big plays

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We don't need the HUNH to win anymore.

Dec 1, 2019, 9:39 PM

We're just better than our opponents and there ain't chit they can do about it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic