Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I've never understood the Newman hype
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1,148

I've never understood the Newman hype

Sep 3, 2020, 8:53 AM

Was he ever considered a Heisman contender at wake? I understand its wake forest, but I still don't remember him really getting any hype other than being a pretty good QB for WF.

All the sudden he transfers to UGA and he's on top of several Heisman contender lists and is expected to take UGA to the title game. Could it be that he thinks there's no way he can live up to these expectations and that's why he's sitting out? Go ahead and declare for draft while the hype is high?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He was an excellent QB without a good O-line

Sep 3, 2020, 8:55 AM

And despite that, he had very good stats, and was rated 7th best in coming draft. Watch the replay of Clemson game, and you see him sacked numerous times and hurried even more. I don't blame him for transferring, and happy he opted out...

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I've never understood the Newman hype

Sep 3, 2020, 9:33 AM

I'm not sure how good he really is, but he put up some really impressive numbers at wake, so I can see where people would think that him going to a team with a lot more talent with a defense that probably won't give up 30+ points per game would elevate him to the next level. Trevor Lawrence is an amazing player, but I doubt he'd be in the Heisman discussion if he was the QB at Wake.

Sep 3, 2020, 10:36 AM

he's 6'4 230. Apparently that is enough to be a first rd draft pick these days.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 3, 2020, 11:10 AM

He's So Tall !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Excellent! And the announcers swoon................***

Sep 3, 2020, 11:50 AM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Newman. Hello, Newman........

Sep 3, 2020, 11:21 AM

:)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hard to be a Heisman candidate at Wake -

Sep 3, 2020, 11:26 AM

Not sure how any would think he's not a talented QB.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Likewise hard to be one instantaneously by just changing

Sep 3, 2020, 11:49 AM

to a school that can't beat capons at home. And with them on their 3rd string qb............

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't think he isn't a talented QB

Sep 3, 2020, 12:13 PM [ in reply to Hard to be a Heisman candidate at Wake - ]

But does that warrant the hype he's gotten at UGA?

He is a talented QB, but is he the first "talented QB" at UGA? If not then why does he shoot straight to the top of heisman contention lists? Especially now that people are saying he wasn't even going to be the starting QB

My issue is more with the media love fest for UGA because Fromm was getting the same hype. I hope nothing but the best for the guy and hope he gives WF the credit of helping him get to where he is instead of UGA if he makes it

Re: I don't think he isn't a talented QB

Sep 3, 2020, 12:25 PM

Was he really at the top of lists though? I can see his name being mentioned simply because he's an experienced QB that put up strong numbers on a lesser talented team, and so it's natural that a lot of people would assume that he'd have the potential to put up huge numbers with Georgia. I think Oklahoma has had 2 recent Heisman winners that were transfers so it's certainly not unheard of.

If you think about it, there's usually only a handful of returning star players around the country each year so any Heisman lists that includes more than a few players will usually involve some lesser proven guys.

Sep 3, 2020, 12:39 PM

By top I mean top few guys, not necessarily #1, but you're right, he may not have been given the best odds to win or anything

But we are talking about UGAs offense too, which personally I don't think is very likely to produce a heisman winner vs say an oklahoma or OSU offense

Sep 3, 2020, 12:46 PM

Probably not, especially since they usually favor the run so much, and at the very least wouldn't be running 80 plays per game or whatever number Wake was running with their offense. So I agree that he wasn't likely to ever win it or anything, but I can understand where some of the hype was coming from.

Re: I've never understood the Newman hype......

Sep 3, 2020, 12:05 PM

....Likely that's because you saw him play. I wish him well.

I love it that he went to Georgia, got hyped as likely the best QB in the SEC and mentioned as a likely candidate the Heisman race.

And having gotten all the great press he could get without ever having to play, he opted out and will likely be well compensated by the NFL, at least in part by having been dubbed a great by Kirby Not-so-smart.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Because SEC.

Sep 3, 2020, 1:12 PM

It just means more, big boy football, blah blah blah.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Replies: 14
| visibility 1,148
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic