Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
This was lost yesterday in the world of sports
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1

This was lost yesterday in the world of sports

Apr 9, 2020, 8:02 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjqYThEVoSQ

Anniversary of Hank Aaron's 715th homer run.
Trivia about the 2 fans who ran the bases with Hank.
https://www.espn.com/mlb/news/story?id=5504664
Britt Gaston lived in Charleston and died in 2011.

Hank was and IS the home run king.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This was lost yesterday in the world of sports

Apr 9, 2020, 8:22 AM

I feel the same. Hank is the Home Run King!!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 9, 2020, 8:26 AM

The Hammer is no doubt "THE Home Run King"!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hank Aaron had some other impressive stats

Apr 9, 2020, 10:36 AM

"As Joe Posnanski wrote for this site back in 2014, “Henry Aaron’s singular achievement is that he was great EVERY SINGLE YEAR from 1955 to 1973. That’s 19 consecutive seasons without anything resembling a down season . . . In those 19 seasons, Aaron created 100 runs or more run 18 times. Nobody else in baseball history had 100 runs created 18 times in a career.” Aaron is also the all-time leader in total bases with 6,856, which is 700 more than second-place Stan Musial. It’s a record that will likely never be broken. Mike Trout could perfectly replicate his first nine seasons starting now and he’d still be over 1,800 total bases shy of Aaron’s career mark. Aaron hit for average. He hit for power. He got on base. He did it all. He was the Home Run King, yes, but he is also one of the few players whose inclusion on a very short list of “the greatest players of all time” could not be argued.

But sure, the homers were nice too."

https://mlb.nbcsports.com/2020/04/08/today-in-baseball-history-hank-aaron-breaks-babe-ruths-home-run-record/

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Apr 9, 2020, 8:31 AM

That’s awesome stuff.

Growing-up a Braves fan...

Apr 9, 2020, 8:49 AM

I distinctly remember watching it on television.

What a lot of people don't remember was the day before (April 7th), Aaron went 0-for-3 on the road against the Reds, setting the stage for the Braves’ first home game of the year the following night against the Dodgers.

I had a poster on my wall of the hit with a white circle drawn around the ball leaving the yard.

Aaron would hit 40 more home runs from 1974 to 1976 with the Braves and Brewers, finishing his career with 755 home runs.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Apr 9, 2020, 9:03 AM

Thanks, I needed that .

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 9, 2020, 9:06 AM

One guy on my hall had a TV in his room and about a dozen of us packed in there to watch. Good times for sure.

Apr 9, 2020, 9:13 AM

I was 12 years old when Hammerin Hank hit number 715. I have never been a big Braves fan (I was more of a Cincinnati Reds fan), but I watched all of his at bats leading up to this one. Hank was the sportsman's sportsman. Always gracious, always a gentleman, and always played by the rules. I can always say that I saw him play in person.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

Apr 9, 2020, 9:18 AM

I thought you were going to say we missed out on the annual Par-3 Competition at The Masters.

Apr 9, 2020, 11:28 AM

I was watching on TV when Hank hit number 755. I was fortunate to see him hit a lot of those in person. I was just out of Clemson, and my Air Force assignment was at Lockheed in Marietta. We got good tickets from special services for $2.50 and could be parked at the stadium in 30 minutes. Those were some fun times. Sadly, most of those who enjoyed them with me are gone now, but I still have their memories.

Thanks! I remember my dad getting me out of bed to watch

Apr 9, 2020, 10:37 AM

it. I watched him round the bases and then my dad sent me back upstairs.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks TC!!!

Apr 9, 2020, 5:28 PM

As a kid growing up visiting Dad's sister in Atlanta for a couple of weekend series every summer, Hank was a Hero of the Diamond!!!

Beyond his hitting prowess, what I remember about him is his ability to steal a base when needed. Over his career he had ~80% success rate and would get you between 20-30 stolen bases every year during his prime (mid sixties).

He also didn't strikeout often! In his 23 year career he only topped 90 Ks/season 4 times . . . Usually his Ks were around 50-60 per season . . .

When he started playing in the Negro League, he hit "cross handed" . . . the man had the fastest hands at the plate I've ever seen . . . You could not sneak a fastball past him!!!

Thanks again for the Diamond Memory!!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 12
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic