Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Greg McElroy on the 2021 Tigers....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

Greg McElroy on the 2021 Tigers....

Jan 15, 2021, 10:09 AM

... first time I've EVER heard him gush about our Tigers. This morning on Sirius/XM, he and Danny Kanell both had us as pre-season #1 and talked for 10 minutes on why. Both said our DL should be much improved. They took a little backhanded compliment to our OL, saying, "it has to get better because it wasn't very good." Both were real high on DJU and our receiving core. Only area of concern was running back. But Greg ended by saying "I expect they'll have someone emerge to fill that void as well." Nice to hear an SEC homer talk like that. Our Tigers have earned it... beat UGA in game 1 and we should dominate every talking point next season.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

Re: Greg McElroy on the 2021 Tigers....

Jan 15, 2021, 10:11 AM

This is not a knock on you because I understand you position on this, but if I refuse to put stock in what that guy says about us when he is down on us then I am not going to get excited when he is high on us.

If someone is an idiot, then they are always an idiot even when they mistakenly say something that makes sense.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So true... but it still sounded good in my speakers :)***

Jan 15, 2021, 10:14 AM

Jan 15, 2021, 10:22 AM [ in reply to Re: Greg McElroy on the 2021 Tigers.... ]

talking like he has to come to Clemson for a game. Then he downs us when he doesnt. I really don't care for his glib smarmy SEC homerism

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He's a 100% phony.....

Jan 16, 2021, 12:27 AM

..tries to hide it but goes overboard in the process....

When we beat Bama for 1st natty, ESPN had some type...

Jan 16, 2021, 12:39 AM

..of alternate broadcast where there were about 6 people in the room (I think Bill Walton was there for some reason), including Gerg Macelroy; it's interesting to watch Greg's reaction when Hunter caught the winning TD. Everyone else is making some sort of comment, body gesture, etc., but Greg is rooted to the couch like he just saw a ghost, completely without emotion, not even a grimace. He was trying to hide the bias, that he was pulling for Bama, and why wouldn't he be pulling for Bama? I just can't stand that phony crap...

Guessing off season workouts & PAW drill will be rigorous ..

Jan 15, 2021, 10:26 AM

and intense.

Strength, blocking & tackling will be an emphasis .... and not just on LOSs but DBs and WRs.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 15, 2021, 10:35 AM

I understand some don't care for Greg McElroy, but here's a personal experience.

I shared a brief hotel elevator ride with just him after the Sugar Bowl loss. It was a humbling loss to his alma mater and one thought running through my head was whether the magic was over because Deshaun was gone.

He seemed to grasp my point and very earnestly said he was sure Clemson would be back. About 370 days later we crushed an "all-time" Tide team and proved his point.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 15, 2021, 10:56 AM

I appreciate you adding a human element to the discussion because many of these "idiot analysts" are good people.

I am not suggesting that McElroy is not a nice guy. I would imagine that most analysts who are decent people would provide some sort of reassurance to you in that moment during a conversation.

The part where we differ is that I can't give McElroy a large amount of credit for being able to notice that the only thing the '17 Clemson team was missing was the forward pass. He likely saw all of the Clemson WR running free and not being targeted during the game.

Greg McElroy = nice guy

Greg McElroy also = football analysis stooge.

Jan 15, 2021, 11:17 AM

Fair enough. I did link the notions a bit. But I think he was speaking as both a gentleman and an analyst then.

McElroy for me is actually one of the better analysts that I hear. I don't think he particularly likes little ol' Clemson being in the conversation with Alabama, Ohio State, etc. But I think he's straightforward with what he thinks and right a little more often than many of his colleagues.

He absolutely missed the boat a few weeks ago on the importance of Trevor being back for the ACCCG because he focused on the passing game and not how the running game would open up.

He at least had the insight that we had everything but QB play in '17. Hopefully he is right that improved play on LOS will make the difference in '21.

Jan 15, 2021, 10:46 AM

Great compliments, but I wonder IF it's not propaganda in order to inspire UGA and to add credence to UGA if the Tigers happen to lose.

Jan 15, 2021, 10:49 AM

This certainly takes the conspiracy in a new direction.

Haha. Conspiracy much? :)***

Jan 15, 2021, 11:34 AM [ in reply to Re: Greg McElroy on the 2021 Tigers.... ]

Gee, I feel SO much better now that Alfred E. Neuman

Jan 15, 2021, 11:36 AM

thinks we are good.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

last thing I'm worried about is the RB position. we are

Jan 15, 2021, 12:41 PM

stacked there.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 15, 2021, 12:48 PM

Very surprised to hear so many negative comments about McIlroy. I understand if some don't like his style, and I can see how he comes across a tad bit superior, but the guy knows football. In my opinion, he breaks down the game as well as anybody and is very articulate in doing so. He's called Clemson out on occasion, but I've heard him say plenty of nice things as well. I find him balanced and impartial.

Jan 15, 2021, 1:03 PM

For the people on here, an analysis is an idiot if he ever picks Clemson to lose a game, doesn't rank Clemson #1, or implies that Clemson has any sort of weakness. That person is only that much more of an idiot if he picks Clemson to lose a game that they end up winning. The person isn't an idiot though if they pick Clemson to win a game that they end up losing, and he doesn't become smarter if he picks Clemson to lose a game and he ends up being correct.

You guys are overlooking the obvious....

Jan 15, 2021, 1:15 PM

SEC homer has to talk up Clemson because we open with an SEC team.

How's it going to look after we spank the pup's if they've not been saying how good we are.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic