Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Group coming in for our first game
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 1

Group coming in for our first game

Jan 20, 2020, 4:47 PM

Hi Board,

I have a group of friends that goes to a new college football stadium every year. The main goal is to see great teams, and experience everything the college town has to offer. This year we are pumped about coming to the Clemson Tigers.

I would greatly appreciate any and all info you seasoned vets can provide!

Group size is generally 6-10 guys all in our early 30s. Our main interest our local food & nightlife and taking in a great tailgate scene and seeing the campus on Saturday.

We anticipate coming in for a game in Mid Sept. and no later than early Oct.

Appreciate the help in advance!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The expert on local nightlife is

Jan 20, 2020, 4:48 PM

Francis Marion®.

He can give you all the good scoops and a meeting location.

Snowflake Basher........Out

Re: The expert on local nightlife is

Feb 11, 2020, 1:34 PM

Re: Group coming in for our first game

Jan 20, 2020, 4:53 PM

Smokin Pig near Clemson has great BBQ. And in Clemson proper you should go to the ESSO Club.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree with all of that

Jan 20, 2020, 4:58 PM

If you want really good food on other than game day you ought to try Pixie and Bills' or Calhoun Corner or Paesano's in Seneca.

If you want student night life anywhere downtown Clemson will work. If you are looking for something else, you better check out Greenville.

Jan 20, 2020, 5:00 PM [ in reply to Re: Group coming in for our first game ]

Ditto! Be sure to come early and stroll through campus. Stop by The Hendrix Center 55 Exchange for Clemson made Ice Cream! View Howard's Rock at the east end zone through the gate and be in the stadium a minimum of 30 mins before kickoff to witness the Tigers running down The Hill. Glad to have you and enjoy your visit!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 21, 2020, 10:37 AM

When do they usually announce the dates for the rest of the games?

Thanks!

Jan 21, 2020, 11:21 AM

They're coming out tomorrow.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Jan 20, 2020, 5:00 PM [ in reply to Re: Group coming in for our first game ]

Ditto! Be sure to come early and stroll through campus. Stop by The Hendrix Center 55 Exchange for Clemson made Ice Cream! View Howard's Rock at the east end zone through the gate and be in the stadium a minimum of 30 mins before kickoff to witness the Tigers running down The Hill. Glad to have you and enjoy your visit!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 20, 2020, 5:06 PM

You and your friends will be welcome at most tailgates. Just start walking and you will be invited to join in. You will find our fans to be very hospitable. The Esso Club is very close to the stadium and definitely worth a visit. Where are y'all coming from? I hope you have a good time!

Jan 20, 2020, 9:52 PM

tigeranne said:

You and your friends will be welcome at most tailgates. Just start walking and you will be invited to join in. You will find our fans to be very hospitable. The Esso Club is very close to the stadium and definitely worth a visit. Where are y'all coming from? I hope you have a good time!

All over, Chicago, DC, Atlanta, Detroit

The majority of us are Michigan State Alums plus a few pick ups over the years. We do this now because we don’t have anyone to throw bachelor parties for anymore!

Ditto on ESSO & Smokin Pig.***

Jan 20, 2020, 5:15 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Welcome! Here's Two Guides and Threads

Jan 20, 2020, 7:49 PM

other people put together visitors.

https://www.tigernet.com/forum/thread/Fans-Guide-To-A-Clemson-Weekend-For-A38;M-Fans-1920961

https://www.tigernet.com/forum/thread/Tips-for-visiting-fan-to-Clemson-1569591

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

My honest recommendations....

Jan 20, 2020, 11:44 PM

ASpence410

Accommodations: stay in downtown Greenville and spend a night going out. It isn't massive, but it is really cool. You can Uber all the way to Clemson for the game so you don't have to find parking.

Food:
In Greenville: Eat lunch at Tupelo Honey and get the fried chicken dusted. Eat as many biscuits as you want because they are unlimited and free. The cinnamon apple mimosa is delicious.
There's also a crepe place downtown that is good.
Spill the Beans in downtown Greenville or Clemson has great ice cream and coffee (their iced coffee is the best).
If you are looking for something nice in Greenville, Smoke on the Water is mid-scale, Soby's and Larkins are my favorite high-ends.
Once you are all liquored up in Greenville, go to Sully's Steamers for a late night bagel to avoid the hangover.

In Clemson:
Smoking Pig is the GO TO for ESPN College Gameday. That should be all you need to know.
The best bar food downtown is at "World Class Cheeseburgers". They've changed names like 100 times, but they are almost always the best food.
The Esso Club is the classic Clemson bar and grill. The food is good, but the gameday menu is very limited so expect stadium-style food.
The best drunk food in Clemson is Todaro's pizza.

Bars:
Greenville:
Pour is really fun. Ink n Ivy is good. Being from the Chicago area, Connolly's will be most familiar to you. It's probably my favorite bar downtown Greenville. Sip is a great chill bar.

Clemson:
The downtown is tiny but is always packed. If you want a packed bar/party, go to Study Hall, Triple T's (Tiger Town Tavern), TD's, or 356 Sushi. If you want a slightly more chill bar, go to Backstreets. If you want a really chill bar that has no wait to get a drink, go to the upstairs of Tiger Town Tavern. You have to become a lifetime member to enter the upstairs, but it is a whopping $5 for a lifetime membership.

Tailgating: As many people have said, just walk through the more open areas close to the stadium and talk to people. The best areas for random tailgating are around the basketball coliseum.

Tickets: Do. Not. Buy. Scalped. Tickets. Buy them online early or the day of.

Misc: The best attraction in Clemson is obviously Memorial Stadium. Walk around the stadium and admire the Real Death Valley. The Oculus is the large "portal to Heaven". It's how God comes down to watch our games. Climb the unbelievably steep and long hill on the "Graveyard" side of the stadium to understand why we have nice calves.

Take a walk through campus. Check out the Amphitheater, the Reflection Pond, the Fort Hill Plantation home, Bowman Field (where we used to play).. wander way past the stadium and check out the baseball stadium. Then wander even further and check out Dabo World (Allen N. Reeves Football Complex, our indoor practice facility and massive operations center). It really is astonishing in person.

In the game: our chants are really really easy. You'll have them all memorized by the end of the 1st quarter.

P.S. We do not sell alcohol in the games. Unless you get a box or club ticket, you might want to drink your fill prior to arrival. (Mini bottles also work great).

After we win, which is a given, RUSH THE #### FIELD. It's not a celebration. We do it every week, win or lose, rain or shine, no matter who we play. All Clemson fans and players meet at the middle of the field to sing the alma mater. It is one of the most unique traditions in all of sports.

Re: My honest recommendations....

Jan 21, 2020, 8:23 AM

This is great, thank you! I think we are leaning toward a lake house in Seneca at the moment.

Uber from Seneca will be cheaper but there's not a lot

Jan 21, 2020, 11:30 AM

of great stuff to do in Seneca. If you guys are just looking to shoot the #### with each other (or you're planning to go into Clemson Friday night instead of Greenville), it'll be perfect though.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Uber from Seneca will be cheaper but there's not a lot

Jan 22, 2020, 2:32 PM

If we do the lake house, part of the allure would be renting a boat to take to the game. Is that something that is regularly done at Clemson games? Most of the lakes house rentals make mention of it but don't go into much more detail.

Thanks!

It's done. It's not a hugely popular thing like it is at

Jan 22, 2020, 2:50 PM

Tennessee, and I think there's still quite a walk to the stadium once you get to the other side of the lake.

Hopefully someone else has done it and will be along with more information. I've walked across the bridge from Y Beach multiple times but never taken a boat over.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 22, 2020, 3:12 PM [ in reply to Re: Uber from Seneca will be cheaper but there's not a lot ]

there is no quick way to get to the stadium from the lake ....the closest access point to the stadium is still at least half mile away... I don't think they have docks set up for that either...

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 11, 2020, 1:17 PM

#### behind the Esso club

Jan 21, 2020, 10:38 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Jan 22, 2020, 2:32 PM

In to it, Big Time!

There's a Clemson brewery scheduled to open in 2020

Jan 21, 2020, 11:20 AM

Magnetic South is supposed to open sometime this year, in the old ASTRO III movie theater. Anybody know what the timeline is for that? Their Facebook page is short on details.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: There's a Clemson brewery scheduled to open in 2020

Jan 22, 2020, 2:46 PM

According to their website Astro location delayed until 2021 but they will have a draft trailer at Smokin Pig starting Fall 2020...
http://magneticsouthbeer.com/process.html

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 22, 2020, 3:03 PM

Stay in Greenville and drive to the game, G-Ville has all those things you want, its not a college town like Clemson is but there is loads to do. Head to the game early, walk the school and head to the Esso club for a pre game, stop by the tailgates and say hi... take in the tiger (player) walk, and enjoy the game, not really a bad seat in the house. Any idea what game your thinking about?

Sept 12 Louisville and Sept 26 Virginia should be good games, would not be surprised if they are not night games. Night games in the valley in September are special... since the ACC network started Clemson getting more night games... even when we don't want night games...

Unique place, I think you will enjoy it.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 22, 2020, 3:21 PM

As of right now those are the two games we have narrowed it down to, I am actually living in Charlottesville now, although I have no real love for UVA. We don't do anything after Late October anymore after we nearly frozen in an RV in West Virginia a couple years ago.

It seems a lot of people have recommended Greenville, while appreciated half the trip is about the college town so we would prefer not to miss out on the night before the game festivities either.

Same reason we stayed in Baton Rouge over New Orleans and Athens over Atlanta.

Thanks!

Mar 3, 2020, 7:32 AM

Yeah Greenville is cool, but I would just stay as close to Clemson as possible. You can get drunk and walk around for a couple of days and not drive.

You came to the right place.

Jan 22, 2020, 3:21 PM

People here will probably invite you to stop by their tailgate.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 11, 2020, 12:56 PM

For those in the know, what would you say is the optimal time to purchase tickets?

Thanks!

Mar 3, 2020, 7:22 AM

Due to everyone's schedule the only game we can come in for is Akron, so not nearly the level of game we could hope for. That being said, it's no guarantee that any ACC team is going to be within 30 points of you guys!

Does anyone know when individual tickets will get released, that usually coincides with a significant drop in price on the major ticket outlets.

Thanks! Looking forward to visiting Tiger Territory!

Mar 3, 2020, 7:34 AM

You will also get to see some amazing backup players too. The 2nd half will be great as well. We have great QB's 3 deep.

You never mentioned where your allegiance lies.***

Mar 3, 2020, 7:36 AM [ in reply to Re: Group coming in for our first game ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Re: You never mentioned where your allegiance lies.***

Mar 3, 2020, 7:39 AM

I think he said Michigan State.

Mar 3, 2020, 8:06 AM

Well, he never thanked us for beating the Bucknuts.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Mar 6, 2020, 12:00 PM

hahah Let me be the first to thank you then!

Tickets will be cheap close to the game

Mar 3, 2020, 8:00 AM [ in reply to Re: Group coming in for our first game ]

You can check on the TNET ticket market
https://www.tigernet.com/Clemson-Football-Tickets/Akron-1379/forsale

Or on Stubhub. Definitely wait until closer to the game because they will go way down.

Replies: 35
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic