Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Greg Marshall?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 40
| visibility 1

Greg Marshall?

Feb 24, 2016, 8:16 PM

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=13596035

Here's a thread from three years ago. Amazingly clemtiger117 was being just as much of a d*ck and Brownell apologist back then. So, if we're willing to spend the money I think we have as good or a better a shot now as then. He's had time to plateau at Wichita State. He's done an amazing job and no one would ever second guess what he accomplished there if it didn't work out somewhere else. Obviously it would take a massive commitment from Clemson - both in salary and in ongoing improvements to facilities. But, there is no better fit possible. Word is there is genuine bad blood over never being considered by South Carolina. He already knows the state and region intimately. And might be ready to prove he can replicate his Winthrop and Wichita State success at the ACC level. Probably a pipe dream but I've got to believe in something and the current staff leaves me with nothing to believe in.

Message was edited by: viztiz®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Transcendent coach. Looks like we beat that dead horse***

Feb 24, 2016, 8:41 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What does his sexuality have to do with anything?

Feb 24, 2016, 8:46 PM

??????????????????????????????????????????????

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Even if you hold him up

Feb 25, 2016, 6:47 AM [ in reply to Transcendent coach. Looks like we beat that dead horse*** ]

to the light - like a really STRONG light - like a Q-Beam or something - you can't see through him ?

Hinky . . . .

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Re: Greg Marshall?

Feb 24, 2016, 8:43 PM

Also hearing that Marshall and his wife would like to be closer to their families. If DRad is smart he will put fillers out to Marshall's agent...

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Even some feelers.***

Feb 26, 2016, 2:22 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

From rock hill.. Loved GM at Winthrop

Feb 24, 2016, 9:20 PM

He is a great coach and would be a perfect selection here.

Snowflake Basher........Out

Re: From rock hill.. Loved GM at Winthrop

Feb 25, 2016, 3:02 PM

Was a student at winthrop for part of his tenure there, made winthrop relevant while he was the coach. Would be a great coach at clemson imo

Would love that hire

Feb 24, 2016, 9:36 PM

SCar went out and stole Kansas States coach, don't see why we couldn't take switch it's States. He was born in SC and lived here until high school then moved to VA but came back to coach Winthrop. He was in my parents super club and I met him several times. He is an excellent coach. Heard him talking on Mark Packers show the other day saying he grew up in ACC country and reminiscing about it. He has many ties to the state and none to the Midwest.

What about that Will Wade Fellow from VCU ?

Feb 24, 2016, 9:45 PM

Clemson Alum

Took over from Shaka Smart and VCU is doing GREAT !

Think it would be a natural

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=vcu%20coach%20will%20wade

Feb 24, 2016, 10:15 PM

+1 for 117 comment. He is the worst RAG wannabe in the history of TNet. Acts like he is the board police here.

We should try to hire him tomorrow......

Feb 25, 2016, 3:35 AM

He is graduating his two best players at Wichita State this year. He will be in rebuilding mode there for a year or two. I say throw out a large number and see if he is willing to jump.

Good fit!***

Feb 25, 2016, 11:08 AM

Re: Good fit!***

Feb 25, 2016, 11:25 AM

You guys are smoking something. VCU and Wichita St are both better jobs than CU HBC. We provide less fan support, have worse facilities, less history in terms of winning and lower pay. Why would either coach move down to further their career?

Feb 25, 2016, 11:26 AM

Fan Support comes with wins.

Facilities are no longer worse.

History can be changed.

Pay can be raised.

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

Feb 25, 2016, 12:33 PM

> Fan Support comes with wins.
>
> Facilities are no longer worse.
>
> History can be changed.
>
> Pay can be raised.

The Shockers average more fans per game than LJ holds. Basketball is king at their university. GM has his own plane for recruiting. 1/3 of his roster is from the JUCO ranks. They have a natural recruiting territory based on the geographic location of their school and their campus has a more urban feel desired by basketball players.

Not saying if CBB should stay or go but don't expect top coaches to line up seeking the job just because we are good in football. Esentially our basketball history is similar to the coots in football. Look how their coaching search turned out...

Feb 25, 2016, 1:01 PM

There is a big difference between thinking that big coaches will line up for the job and that, if Clemson University put its full weight behind it, that it couldn't come up with a proposal of potential interest to this specific coach. Again, his coaching career originated here (SC) - both as an assistant and head coach. And, regardless of his success, he is coaching in a conference significantly below the ACC. It can be done. But it would take a massive commitment. Do you actually believe Clemson lacks the resources of Wichita State if it chooses to invest in basketball the same way they have?

Message was edited by: viztiz®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 25, 2016, 10:49 PM

> There is a big difference between thinking that big
> coaches will line up for the job and that, if Clemson
> University put its full weight behind it, that it
> couldn't come up with a proposal of potential
> interest to this specific coach. Again, his coaching
> career originated here (SC) - both as an assistant
> and head coach. And, regardless of his success, he
> is coaching in a conference significantly below the
> ACC. It can be done. But it would take a massive
> commitment. Do you actually believe Clemson lacks
> the resources of Wichita State if it chooses to
> invest in basketball the same way they have?
>
>
> Message was edited by: viztiz®

Just like the coots thought they had the Houston coach because they play in the big bad SEC. They made a major commitment and it did not work because Herman knew it was a crappy job. The same will happen if we fire CBB. Everyone will lick their chops thinking we are going to make a splash and the only interest will be from the drovers and the drakes. We will make a hire that has us scratching our heads and will be having this same conversation in a few years.

Feb 26, 2016, 6:44 AM

There are a few differences - Spurrier quit mid season putting full public scrutiny on South Carolina's process. It was immediately known that the Houston coach was the top coach. Columbia sports radio sent people to Houston practices. That kind of spotlight is never good during a hiring search. Even with that impediment the current story out of Houston is that he was gone until the coots managed to lose to El Cid. That he didn't know just how steep a rebuild he was looking at until then and backed away. Our team isn't a disaster. It's not a Shyatt level rebuilding. It can be attractive but we have to sell it.

I absolutely agree.

Feb 25, 2016, 10:58 PM [ in reply to Re: Good fit!*** ]

If we are willing to really support (read: pay for) basketball, we can absolutely get a coach like Gregg Marshall. Our basketball history isn't really about SC high school basketball or Clemson not being located in a big city as others like to think. Our lack of basketball success is due to a lack of funding for basketball.

Make it a priority, and it will be great.

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Mar 1, 2016, 9:06 PM [ in reply to Re: Good fit!*** ]

Harumph!

Feb 25, 2016, 11:45 AM [ in reply to Re: Good fit!*** ]

I did say it would require both a major salary and an ongoing commitment to upgrading facilities. I don't disagree with you. The two factors might be getting back to SC and moving into the highest level of college basketball. Winners like to prove they're winners. He really doesn't have anything left to prove at Wichita State.

Feb 25, 2016, 11:21 AM

would be a good hire.

Hopefully the enticement of coaching back in his home state plus a new arena would be enough to get him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregg_Marshall

Feb 25, 2016, 11:49 AM

I would say a tiney bit premature my boy

Feb 25, 2016, 12:00 PM

how so?

Ahh, the annual "Let's hire this Greg Marshall guy" post

Feb 25, 2016, 1:14 PM

Someone brings it up at the same time each season, giving the same reasons why they believe Clemson should hire him.

It's not gonna happen. Point blank. Now if only we can get people to stop posting about hiring him, as if they were under the impression that they were 1st to ever suggest hiring such a hidden coaching gem and unknown (sarcasm) coaching candidate like Greg Marshall. Don't forget, he is from SC ya know!!

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Ahh, the annual "Let's hire this Greg Marshall guy" post

Feb 25, 2016, 1:38 PM

Yeah - I pretended I was first when I posted a link to a previous thread on the topic. It's comes up because it is a natural fit. Guess you're a big fan of the NIT.

The football team did so well I had almost forgotten about

Feb 25, 2016, 2:51 PM

these threads. Where two sides rant endlessly about keeping or firing a coach and b!tch about how stupid the other side is. Watching these sh** throwing contests and dumpster fires at other programs like USuCk and Tennessee brings a little entertainment to the offseason.

Re: The football team did so well I had almost forgotten about

Feb 25, 2016, 4:31 PM

Guys Guys Guys

MArshall signed a new contract last year. After being courted by some huge programs, he turned them all down and signed a new deal with Wichita St.

The contract is 7 year. $23.3 Million
Marshall is the 7th highest paid coach in the NCAA
THe buyout is $9.9 MILLION

A) Clemson is not going to pay $3.5 million a year for a coach.
B) Clemsom is not going to pay a $10 MM buyout.
C) Marshall is not going to leave WSU where he is top dog and does not have to compete with football, to play 2nd or 3rd fiddle to football at Clemson

It would take North of $4M and $10M buyout to even approach him and offer him a raise over his current salary.

NEVER gonna happen

Feb 25, 2016, 4:37 PM

His buyout is only $500,000. http://www.kansas.com/sports/college/wichita-state/article37868070.html. If we're not willing to spend as much as Wichita State why are we bothering?

Feb 25, 2016, 4:43 PM

Shocking the gamecock TerrierFans is FOS.

Feb 25, 2016, 4:46 PM [ in reply to Re: The football team did so well I had almost forgotten about ]

I saw a link where his buyout is 3 years of the contract after he signed last year.

Need to find the new link

Feb 25, 2016, 4:47 PM

He turned down NC State, Missouri, and Alabama and their $4MM offer but he is going to come to Clemson. OK.

Feb 25, 2016, 5:00 PM [ in reply to Re: The football team did so well I had almost forgotten about ]

That's Wichita States price to buyout Marshall. Not the same thing.

Feb 25, 2016, 5:02 PM [ in reply to Re: The football team did so well I had almost forgotten about ]

That is the buy out if they were to fire him.

Apples =/= Oranges

Feb 25, 2016, 4:48 PM

Derp was derpin quite skrong back then as well.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

Re: Greg Marshall?***

Feb 25, 2016, 4:51 PM

"Because at the end of the game, everyone knew that they weren’t that much better than us or better than us at all."

I always heard he was just as bitter about not being

Feb 25, 2016, 6:18 PM

considered for the CU vacancies as USuCk. I think the Marshall ship has sailed for us.

Re: I always heard he was just as bitter about not being

Feb 26, 2016, 10:10 AM

Wichita State is a better basketball job than Clemson. Better fan support, more money, lower academic standards, an easier road to the tourney, and you don't have to play 5 on 7 basketball against tobacco road. We would need to pay him close to what we pay our entire football coaching staff for him to come here.

If you wanna play the fire brownell game. I think we should wait on Fred Hoiburg to get fired from the Bulls and throw the kitchen sink at him. Or while we are throwing out unrealistic names; we could also wait on billy donnavan to get fired from OKC.

I don't see why Marshall isn't still in line for a bigger

Feb 26, 2016, 10:41 AM

job. He told Alabama no thanks last year, and to be perfectly honest, they probably have more money to throw around than Clemson. Sure Texas chose Shaka Smart over Marshall, but i would still expect him to be right in the mix the next time a job like that opens up. And even if not, is coaching at Clemson really a better gig? I don't know. It's not like he needs to use us as a stepping stone to get recognized.

Mar 1, 2016, 8:53 PM

Kinda strange this popped back up to the top of the baord I dont see a new post on it.

Replies: 40
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic