Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
For the topic of "wasted scholarships"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 5,081

For the topic of "wasted scholarships"

Jan 21, 2016, 3:26 PM

Once upon a time (not long ago) I was an assistant basketball coach at Daniel as a part of my graduation requirement for Clemson. Our team was "loaded" with a starting 5 of...

G - Tyus Gaines, sensational PG and DB on the football team
G - Jaelon Oglesby, 4 star football recruit, Clemson commit
G - Adrien Dunn and
F - DJ Greenlee, both "wasted" scholarships at Clemson
F - Justin Dotson, 1st team all state, now playing basketball for Stephen F Austin

It was a great season, and Daniel made it all the way to the final 4 in the BiLo center before falling short in the semifinal.

Being around these kids up close, you really get to see how attitude and team chemistry come into play and affect the course of the season. These are attributes that won't show up on a stat sheet and aren't measured by recruiting services.

All the people that say these legacy scholarships are "wasted" on some of these kids have obviously never been involved in coaching before. It's no coincidence that the highest rated athlete on the team also had the worst attitude, and ultimately never made it to Clemson. At times, it affected the flow of the team and the outcome of some games.

As for the 2 unheralded recruits currently on Scholarship at Clemson, I cannot vouch for their character enough. ESPECIALLY Greenlee. That kid has a bright future down the road as a coach at some point....great with people and a phenomenal motivator of his teammates. Dunn plays with a lot of heart and is very coachable.

Now, tell me again why we don't want some of these kids around? These are the kids that put in the dirty work on the scout team every day. These kids are the ones that go all out on special teams because the 4 and 5 star recruits may feel that they are above that. These are the kids that stay out of trouble, do their business, and help our graduation rate and image.

These kids are family too. Once inside the locker room, a teammate is a teammate regardless of whether they were a blue chip prospect or a walk on. These kids compose a certain aspect of the team as a whole that is vital for the overall success of a program.

Its a #### shame that some ignorant people can't see past a name or a star rating

Message was edited by: CU2013®

Message was edited by: CU2013®

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Good post.***

Jan 21, 2016, 3:50 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great post!!***

Jan 21, 2016, 4:00 PM

Thanks***

Jan 22, 2016, 10:07 AM

Re: For the topic of "wasted scholarships"

Jan 21, 2016, 4:06 PM

Well said.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Jan 21, 2016, 4:08 PM

Outstanding!!

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

it doesn't matter how many stars they get, it's all about

Jan 21, 2016, 4:08 PM

attitude and willing to work for a goal.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 21, 2016, 4:33 PM

TU, but you know that logic, reason, and facts don't work on Tigernet.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Jan 21, 2016, 7:57 PM

Ha! Thanks

Jan 21, 2016, 8:05 PM

Wonderful post. I see that most of the "coaches" and recruiting gurus on this site are not chiming in like they normally do. ????

Jan 21, 2016, 4:45 PM

Never a truer word has been spoken!

Thanks, and welcome to Tigernet

Jan 21, 2016, 5:16 PM

good luck!

Well said. It may be added that those being questioned

Jan 21, 2016, 5:09 PM

have parents either on the coaching staff or are working closely with the program now in other capacities. It's more than just having the right last name - these are all active ingredients and participants in our recent success.

But, haters gonna hate, and there's nothing like keyboard anonymity to bring out the lows in wannabe coaches and prognosticators who have nothing more worthwhile to do with their time.

Go Tigers!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 21, 2016, 5:31 PM

And might I add in the name Rodriguez.

Starter? prolly not ever talented enough.

Effect on the team? Not measurable in the best of ways.

Dabo is the coach... he can offer who he wants and for his own reasons.

Drod paid his own way, fyi***

Jan 21, 2016, 10:19 PM

STS-STS follwers=Blind leading-blind

Jan 21, 2016, 5:57 PM

If sports writers knew as much about sports as they pretend to know they'd be coaching and making a ton more money. Most of them didn't play they just washed jockey straps and stuff.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tnet - Tnet followers = Idiots leading idiots

Jan 22, 2016, 7:30 AM

Do I believe Tnetters are idiots? No ( well most anyway). STS is a very good Clemson website with solid input, information and insight. I assure you I'm not blind and have every bit the knowledge that you, an illustrious Tnetter, has.
Why do you feel it so important to call out other Clemson fans in such a derogatory manner? What specifically do you find so clueless about those who read, write, comment on STS?
Let me guess: sometimes they address differences of opinion on coaching strategies, player issues, recruits than what you believe. Or perhaps they don't worship at the altar of Dabo, like WAY too many Tnetters do.
Either way, your comments are childish and frankly, wrong.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Outstanding post. Trust the coaches.***

Jan 21, 2016, 9:27 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agreed, thanks******

Jan 22, 2016, 12:12 PM

Fantastic post...+1.***

Jan 21, 2016, 11:30 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 22, 2016, 12:57 AM

AMEN CU2013, so very true. Great post... Nothing but the truth...couldn't have said it better.
Chemistry and trust are everything....check the ego's at the door.

Go Tigs!!!!

Jan 22, 2016, 1:01 AM

Thank you for saying it so well!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Not a bad post for a three eyed guy.

Jan 22, 2016, 8:01 AM

I, for one, am going to trust that Dabo knows what he is doing. It takes a lot more than just 5 star Prima Donnas to make a successful TEAM. And, there have been a lot of "can't miss" prospects countrywide who in fact, did miss, even in the NFL. So, I will just sit back and watch these kids develop.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks, well said!***

Jan 22, 2016, 8:17 AM

Replies: 23
| visibility 5,081
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic