Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: I was there. And it was one for the ages.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 36
| visibility 1

New Story: I was there. And it was one for the ages.

Oct 6, 2015, 7:01 AM

I was there. And it was one for the ages.

I was there when…….Clemson defeated Notre Dame in a driving rainstorm. The numbers of people who will say there were will grow as the years pass, but only the ones that were there will understand what it was like. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: I was there. And it was one for the ages.

Oct 6, 2015, 7:26 AM

Fantastic win over ND! We were not there BUT we were there in 1977! I thought we were going to see another ND come back! But we definitely were there in Miami on January 2, 1982, and we'll be at the next national championship game!

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was there in once in a thousand years storm as we beat....

Oct 6, 2015, 8:02 AM

Notre Dame......I was there for the 1977 game when we lost to Notre Dame and, I was there when we beat Nebraska in January of 1982 for the National Championship!

Saturday's Game Day appearance, the rain and the victory made for an EPIC day in Clemson football history!

Oct 6, 2015, 7:27 AM

:)

Me too...I carried all the players down the

Oct 6, 2015, 7:31 AM

hill on my back....

: )

I was in upper deck section K row CC

GO TIGERRRRS!

I was hiding behind a bush on the grassy knoll in Dallas in

Oct 6, 2015, 9:19 AM

Dr Pepper here! Ice cold Dr Pepper!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was there. Section J row BB.

Oct 6, 2015, 11:00 AM [ in reply to Me too...I carried all the players down the ]

My voice is still messed up.

Go Tigers!!!

We were there and loved every minute of it

Oct 6, 2015, 7:44 AM

Even when it looked like ND may be coming back, we had a blast in the drenching rain and NO ONE in our section left until the very end. Including the ND fan sitting right in front of me. It was his FIRST game ever to see ND play live. he said, "this may be my last, because nothing could ever top this experience." Of course, that was before he lost ;)

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

spending every second of that game exposed to the elements

Oct 6, 2015, 8:18 AM

is being "there".

Watching from a suite or press box is basically the same as watching it on TV.

There is an incomparable difference.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great Writing, David!

Oct 6, 2015, 8:38 AM

We are blessed to have you as a writer for the team we love. Thank you for the great stories you write.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 6, 2015, 8:41 AM

I was there when the Tigers beat Ohio State in the Gator Bowl as well as when they beat Nebraska for the National Championship. I would have loved to have been there for the game last Sat but just could not afford to do so. But I was there in spirit rooting the Tigers on to victory with two of my friends on Sat night.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 6, 2015, 8:50 AM

I was there and a shout out to the front few rows behind the notre dame team. Gave them heck the whole game! GO TIGERS!

I was not there, we were some stranded in the Low Country

Oct 6, 2015, 9:09 AM

so my story will be "the night we couldn't get to the Clemson/ND game and had to watch on TV with generator power". Nevertheless, an experience I'll never forget. My family and 20 or so friends who couldn't make the trip and watched in my garage via my Honda 2000 which is normally used for tailgating power.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 6, 2015, 9:16 AM

My wife and I were there when Woody Hayes hit Baumsn, though we didn't know it until I read the paper the next morning. My dad and I were at the GA Tech game when Johnson caught a last minute TD pass to win the game. It was the last game my father attended, after years of going to games, because my mother, a huge CU fan, had had a stroke and he stayed with her every day. I would have loved to have been at the ND game, but I will be there this Saturday to see the Tigers beat GA Tech.

Go Tigers

Oct 6, 2015, 9:21 AM

Goosebumps.....wish so bad I could've been there.

Oct 6, 2015, 9:23 AM

I am so very jealous of all that now share this experience. You will remember it forever. I too, like several here, was at the 1981, played in 1982, National Championship game. Like many before me, I started going to games with my Dad (again Clemson games are a testimonial for family values and bonding)I remember watching Buddy Gore run wild. While I was in school at Clemson, they built both upper decks. For years I never missed a home game, tailgating in the quagmire known as Lot 1. Unfortunately, like several others on here, physical limitations have begun to keep me from the current games. I usually still make at least 1 per year. The body my be failing slightly, but the Tiger Spirit burns as brightly as ever. Go Tigers!

Was there! and from the lowcountry to boot!

Oct 6, 2015, 9:33 AM

And for the record, my mother, my soon to be wife and I were in the Orange Bowl for the win over Nebraska sitting behind one of the steel supports moving back and forth to catch all the action. LOVE what this program has endured and love even more where Dabo and his guys are taking it and how they are doing it. No Compromises! Thank the Lord for the safe travels and GO TIGERS!

Please continue to pray for all of South Carolina as we endure these "1000 year rains" and the resulting floods.

Oct 6, 2015, 10:22 AM

I was there and it definitely was one for the ages! I was at the 1977 Tiger-ND game right after I decided Clmson was where I wanted to go to college. I road tripped to Jacksonville to watch the Tigers beat OSU where Woody Hayes ended his career, and my senior year at Clemson was spent cheering on that national championship journey! Fast forward to sharing the Clemson-OSU Orange bowl with my New Clemson alumn son and my Clemson student daughter. So incredibly happy and thankful we ignored everyone's warnings Saturday and donned our new rain gear to set up tailgate in muddy lot 1 where we watched fans embracing the experience-even crazy students creating a giant slip and slide! Many of my children's young alumni friends returned for the game and no one cared about the weather. There was so much excitement in the air! Walking into the stadium, seeing the throngs of people and pregame was absolutely electrifying and never let up!! The tigers came out so strong and took control! The 4th quarter about gave everyone heart attacks, but the Tigers finished and got it done!! I was and am so very proud to be a tiger! It absolutely was a magical night and brought back memories of the great games and we certainly added this one to the list!! The Tiger Family showed and brought their guts!! And along with them, I WAS THERE!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My ticket stub dried out and it has taken it's place in my

Oct 6, 2015, 10:42 AM

Clemson ticket collection.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

I wasnt there and really wish i had been

Oct 6, 2015, 10:47 AM

I havent been to any games since the 98 99 & 00 seasons when i had a ton of classmates/friends that went to Clemson & id go visit them and we'd be on the hill having a blast. Nothing like a home game. I had forgotten how much fun i had until reading everyone else's experiences. I have been planning on going back but wanted to wait til my son was old enough to really experience the thrill & now he is so i will definitely have to take him to one. Go Tigers

Really proud of the fans who showed up

Oct 6, 2015, 11:18 AM

The fans who turned out for the game and for College Game Day really made me proud. I've been even prouder to read some comments on national sites from Notre Dame fans who were there. They frequently have had complimentary things to say about Clemson and Clemson fans. Before you can be the best at anything, you have to be good. And the best college football fans, Clemson's fans, are good people.

Oct 6, 2015, 11:19 AM

A Historic rain was falling down own a Historic game, and that was a double Historic event happening at the same time, and same place!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 6, 2015, 11:21 AM

Oh, it's good Scottish weather, madam. The rain is falling straight down. Well, slightly to the side like. -Braveheart

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 6, 2015, 12:00 PM

Made the trek from PA - 9.5 hours - to get soaking wet and absorb the fun and excitement of Clemson football. This was on my docket for over a year and I wasn't about to miss it. My seats were behind the Notre Dame bench and it was really fun to see the Irish OL coach go ballistic on his linemen all night long, the WR coach asking his troops if they were done taking turns dropping the ball and HC Brian Kelly asking his punter "what the h*ll he was doing" after shanking it 15 yards. What a night for the Tigers...and the fans. BYOG!

WATER DAME Game

Oct 6, 2015, 12:36 PM

GO TIGERS

I was there, west end zone section V with a hard hat on that

Oct 6, 2015, 12:53 PM

kept my head dry. Poncho did great, just got damp below the knees.

Oct 6, 2015, 2:18 PM

I was there too.....

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 6, 2015, 3:05 PM

I was there in 77 And 15!!

Oct 6, 2015, 3:01 PM

David, great article as usual. This old (Class of '63), 100% permanent and total disabled Vietnam Vet, would have given anything to be in the stands. I could hardly contain myself in front of the TV. I talked to the players, ate chicken wings and did anything else that thought might help them.
Super win! Keep it up Tigers!

I was there too....

Oct 6, 2015, 5:50 PM

My wife Susan and I were there and as usual, stayed until the end yelling like crazy. We were also at the Orange in 81, at the Gator in 77 and 78 which began Clemson's march back to respectability....and my friend Bill and I were there year before last to see us beat Ohio State before they won the first playoff. Awesome memories....especially 81!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 6, 2015, 9:11 PM

Our prayers for the Notre Dame families that lost their lives in the plane crash. We love our football, but we also care for the people who lost their lives this past weekend. I know all Clemson fans cares for these families and wishes to express their condolences to these families.
I pray God will bring comfort upon these families.

Oct 6, 2015, 9:18 PM

Wasn't there, but was so proud of the Clemson fans that could and did make it. I guess some wasn't able to pass out because the rain kept them awake. Did love to see the Clemson fans. So proud to be a Tiger fan even if I cannot make it to the games. Love my Tigers...beat GT Tigers... Focus, believe, execute.

As I look at this picture I know there are those who was wet to the bones. Great crowd to endure the elements. Thanks to all who did brave this rain and show our Tigers who Clemson fans care about. Go Tigers.

Re: I was there. NC game too. 70 years old (young).***

Oct 6, 2015, 9:36 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I was there. NC game too. 70 years old (young).***

Oct 6, 2015, 9:52 PM

I was there with my daughter and son . What night to remember . Loved it , and we kept dry.

Oct 6, 2015, 10:14 PM

I was there Saturday, and at the '77 & '79 ND games, also. Even though we won at South Bend in '79 and witnessed Clemson almost beating the '77 National Champs with Joe Montana, this one was the most enjoyable!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 6, 2015, 10:55 PM

I wasn't there but I was that cold and rainy day when we played NC State. I remember 2 fans waiting at gate 5, I believe, wanting tickets. Because of the weather, I had 2 extra tickets. I GAVE them to them and told them to have a great time. Remember it like it was yesterday...Go Tigers!!!!!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Craziest game I have EVER attended. Glad I got to...

Oct 6, 2015, 10:58 PM

go and share it with my family. We "camped out" in the minivan during the pregame and post game festivities. Have the rain-soaked tickets and program to show the youngsters someday when they ask about the Monsoon game with ND.

Go Tigers!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How do you keep Gamecocks out of your yard?
• Put up goal posts
What does a Gamecock grad call a Clemson Tiger grad in 2 years?
• Boss

Replies: 36
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic