Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Graduated late Aug 1966 in Tillman Hall Auditorium due to broken hip canceling..
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 2,363

Graduated late Aug 1966 in Tillman Hall Auditorium due to broken hip canceling..

Jun 10, 2020, 6:01 PM

anticipated Amphitheater ceremony in late May. Very disappointing but glad to get out after going on & off since Fall 1959, some service & married living in prefab.

With dementia creeping in on me @ age 79, should I be writing it down now so to remember that Tillman Hall will soon be Nuk Hall..b/c he scored a lot of TD’s at Clemson even though he didn’t graduate in Tillman Hall as I did.

Some great memories in that bldg including a class upstairs & the offices there too. Oh, met RC Edwards there and learned he & my professor upstairs were instrumental in saving the building & ok’ing the stainless steel window frames seen today.

Also, around 1991 I attended the cornerstone unveiling where they took it out to see what had been put in metal box 100 years earlier.

Asking..

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Here's what a very quick search found about the cornerstone.

Jun 10, 2020, 6:16 PM

As part of the Clemson University Centennial activities, the cornerstone of Tillman Hall, laid on July 28, 1891, is carefully removed and a sealed copper time capsule lifted out. In it are several 1891 newspapers, including The State, Greenville News and Charleston News and Courier; an 1851 dime and 1889 Indian head penny; a carpenter's pencil and file; the remains of a half-smoked cigar; and a copy of the finding of the Fourth Circuit Court of Equity in the lawsuit brought by Thomas Green Clemson's grand-daughter, Isabella Lee, against his estate and its executor, Col. R. W. Simpson. Michael Kohl, head of the library's Special Collections unit, supervises opening of the time capsule and catalogues each item as it is removed, but he is disappointed that many of the most interesting items known to have been put in there were not salvageable.

"We would like to have recovered Mr. Clemson's diploma from the Royal School of Mines in Paris, and the biographical sketch he wrote of his father-in-law, John C. Calhoun," Kohl said. "And, of course, I was very interested is [sic] seeing the phrenological chart of Mr. Clemson's head," he added. "That would have been quite something."

Kohl says that the copper capsule was probably damaged by heat and water in fighting the fire which gutted Tillman Hall in 1894.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Graduated late Aug 1966 in Tillman Hall Auditorium due to broken hip canceling..

Jun 10, 2020, 6:22 PM

You act like they are tearing the place down.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Graduated late Aug 1966 in Tillman Hall Auditorium due to broken hip canceling..

Jun 10, 2020, 6:26 PM

It's a name, and it isn't even the original name. Let it go.

Get Tillman's name off the building and out of your mouth

Jun 10, 2020, 9:38 PM

Seriously clowns; it is 2020. Get with the program or shut up. How can you root for this team and have any affinity for Ben Tillman? Time to take a hard look at your life and learning.

I honestly don't know if you're joking or not

Jun 10, 2020, 9:50 PM

Tillman Hall has always been one my favorites. Hardin Hall is my #1, though. Is the name Hardin ok?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Was originally just the Chemistry Building***

Jun 10, 2020, 10:06 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I honestly don't know if you're joking or not

Jun 10, 2020, 10:15 PM [ in reply to I honestly don't know if you're joking or not ]

I know you don’t believe me but you need to change

Nah.***

Jun 11, 2020, 10:43 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Jun 10, 2020, 10:55 PM

I don't think you are insinuating, but I will back calling it LIGHTBULBBILL TOWER if you contribute a big light for top of the tower.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I remember attending a presentation in Tillman Auditorium

Jun 11, 2020, 11:33 AM

about the assassination of JFK. No one who saw it would ever believe that Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone. The original Elephant Ears (LBJ) was in on it, or for sure at least had knowledge it was happening before the first shot rang out.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 10
| visibility 2,363
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic