Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Gov Reeves displaying rational leadership on Covid
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

Gov Reeves displaying rational leadership on Covid

Jul 16, 2020, 9:00 PM

Gov Tate Reeves (Miss-R) offered up a good analysis on Twitter challenging the populist idea of shrugging off Covid precautions or racing to herd immunity. Really worth a read.

https://twitter.com/tatereeves/status/1282783825219682304?s=21

Here’s his tweet thread for those not on Twitter:

1) "Let's talk about herd immunity. I've listened to some people argue that the rapid spread of cases is a good thing, and we need to reach herd immunity in Mississippi and elsewhere to survive. I'm not a health care expert by any means, but I am a math guy. And I have thoughts:"

2) "The experts say we need 70-80% of the population to get COVID-19 to achieve herd immunity. Let's assume they're wrong (it's certainly possible, they have been before.) Let's assume they're being way overly cautious and we actually only need 40% infection for herd immunity."

3) "In Mississippi, our population is 3 million. We've had 36,680 cases so far. We'd need 1.2 MILLION infections to achieve that hypothetical 40% threshold. (Remember, experts say it's double that.)"

4) "Over the last two weeks, our hospital system has started to become stressed to the point of pain. We are seeing the early signs and effects of it becoming overwhelmed. We had to suspend elective surgeries again."

5) "On our worst day of new cases, we had just over 1,000. It has typically been between 700-900 during this most aggressive time. To get to 40% infections, we'd need 3,187 new cases every day for a full year from today. We would need to TRIPLE our worst day -- every day -- for a year."

6) "I'm not one of these guys that immediately dismisses any idea that challenges the expert status quo talking points. I'm pretty skeptical by nature. That's healthy. But herd immunity is not anything like a realistic solution in the short or mid-term. I wish it was."

7) "Unless you're willing to go without hospitals after a car wreck or heart attack, we need a different approach. Right now, despite mixed messages at the beginning, it seems like masks are the best bet. They're a #### of a lot better than widespread shut downs. Please wear one!"

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Is this double post thing a known issue when posting from phones?***

Jul 16, 2020, 9:03 PM

Re: Gov Reeves displaying rational leadership on Covid

Jul 16, 2020, 9:06 PM

GWPTiger® Isn’t gonna like this either...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 16, 2020, 10:02 PM

Thanks for posting this. I am clueless. It is hard to tell what is good information and what is information bsed primarily, if not totally, on the political views of the informant.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 16, 2020, 10:30 PM

I'll say again, masks and social distancing, etc., will not stop, or even slow this virus down. Especially among the younger crowd - people with a sense of immortality will be themselves and do what young people do. The best one can do is keep his/her hands and face clean and "disinfected". And btw, our ears are a mucus membrane, just as susceptible to infection as our eyes, nose and mouth/throat. I haven't seen many typical masks that actually cover your ears.... Are we all doomed, or do we simply live with the consequences of what nature brings to bear? As far as I can tell, our liberal media will us. (of course, this virus may have nothing to do with "nature", but we still have to live with it....) But at the same time...

Go Tigers!!!

And A-holes...? No wonder the run on TP...

Jul 16, 2020, 10:34 PM

Definitely an orifice disease.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ears? Doubtful

Jul 16, 2020, 10:41 PM [ in reply to Re: Gov Reeves displaying rational leadership on Covid ]

Not impossible, perhaps, but...
https://www.usnews.com/news/health-news/articles/2020-06-04/can-i-get-covid-19-through-my-eyes-or-ears

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe, or maybe not... I don't think they really know.***

Jul 16, 2020, 11:07 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please explain how masks and distancing don't help.

Jul 17, 2020, 12:05 PM [ in reply to Re: Gov Reeves displaying rational leadership on Covid ]

That's some special virus if those measures don't help significantly.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Please explain how masks and distancing don't help.

Jul 17, 2020, 1:00 PM

Your statement illustrates perfectly what I just don’t understand about the mask/no mask “debate”. We’ll likely never know if they actually work or not. But, I can say with 100% certainty that it doesn’t hurt to try. Short of a vaccine or living in a plastic bubble, there are really only a few things people can do to help protect themselves and others. Why NOT do those few things?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree with your sentiment.

Jul 17, 2020, 1:09 PM

Evidence thus far tells us that masks do work.

Distancing also has to help, unless one believes that upon an infected person sneezing, the virus travels many miles to infect others.

I don't understand the push back from some people who are going to such great lengths to discredit masks and distancing. It seems that these individuals don't want these interventions to work, and I don't know why. Unless it's simply because they hate the idea of governments and experts to be right about something.

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Jul 18, 2020, 6:03 AM [ in reply to Re: Gov Reeves displaying rational leadership on Covid ]

Can you not hold a mask up to your mouth and cough and then do the same without the mask? Can you not tell there is a difference? Of course, it's not perfect. But it is significantly better than nothing. That's all we have - that's it. No magic pills or wands or anything else. And you don't need the "liberal media" to tell you what your mother told you when you were a kid -- cover your mouth when you cough.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 17, 2020, 10:30 AM

Ole politician Reeves is purposely excluding other possibilities.

other facilities could be converted to covid treatment centers leaving ICU , surgical. And recovery rooms for other emergencies.
Just another option.

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Jul 17, 2020, 10:30 AM

Ole politician Reeves is purposely excluding other possibilities.

other facilities could be converted to covid treatment centers leaving ICU , surgical. And recovery rooms for other emergencies.
Just another option.

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Jul 17, 2020, 10:47 AM

I definitely think this is the right way to go about convincing people. Demands without reasoning does not go over well for toddlers nor the masses. This is well thought out linear logic, and has caused me to rethink the implications of striving for herd immunity.

Jul 17, 2020, 11:52 AM

This IS rational leadership !! Back in the day, we also called this "thinking it through !"

Seems less than common nowadays.

Jul 17, 2020, 11:56 AM

I would like to add that wearing a mask and social distancing clearly seem like the most painless way forward - why wouldn't Americans do this ??

The idea of herd immunity is also assuming two key things:

Jul 17, 2020, 12:01 PM

1. Immunity to this strain is lasting.
2. The virus won't mutate into another strain.

Based on what we know (or think we know) at this point, immunity to this virus doesn't seem to be lasting, and COVID-19 has already undergone mutations.

Thus, herd immunity isn't going to help us here. All it would do is cause more people to get sick, more people to die, and our medical facilities to be overrun, with the very real likelihood that COVID would still be here.

yes politicians are true heroes - so smart and courageous***

Jul 17, 2020, 12:50 PM

Jul 18, 2020, 11:10 AM

I live in Mississippi and unfortunately only about 10-20% of people in public are wearing a masks. I know opinions have changed over time on them, however, it’s the current guidance for slowing down the spread of the disease. So until that changes, I’m going to listen and wear one.

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic