Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Gotta Get Home Before Dark
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 3,183

Gotta Get Home Before Dark

Jan 6, 2021, 8:00 PM

WW2 and the Korean War were two different birds. Receiving my discharge after the Korean War, I came home to my wife and a young daughter. When we would go somewhere I would look at my watch and determine when we should leave so we would get home before dark. After several "we gotta go so we can get home before dark", my wife asked me why we always had to get home before dark. It was then I realized the idea of getting home before dark was so ingrained in me it was a habit I developed in Korea. We always tried to get to our compound before dark. We never knew what was lurking in the dark.

Did any of you ex-service men/women experience a strange habit related to your military service after you were discharged?

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Gotta Get Home Before Dark

Jan 6, 2021, 8:09 PM

Two come to mind readily Joe, though I’m sure there are more. One was my pace of eating. By retirement, it wasn’t as bad as just after recruit training, but I sometimes have to make myself slow down. The second was walking on grass to shortcut a walkway/sidewalk.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 6, 2021, 8:31 PM

joe,i was stationed at ft jackson for 3 yrs,thought by many to be a hardship tour.it has always been a good idea to get off the streets of columbia before dark.now more than ever.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Holding on to the bed post

Jan 6, 2021, 9:01 PM

When dad came home from WWII after serving in the Philippines, he always had to have a bed with a bed post. I thought it was kind of funny so I ask him why? He said that while fighting in the Pacific Theater he always had his M1 in his right hand when he went to sleep.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No weird habits but one that I still

Jan 6, 2021, 9:14 PM

struggle with- absolute failure in holding back tears at the sound of Taps... especially when it is at a military funeral. I have a few even as I admit it.

Re: No weird habits but one that I still

Jan 6, 2021, 9:41 PM

You are not the only one. Served on quite a few funeral details and even if I didn’t know the deceased, it was all I could do to maintain my bearing.

Jan 6, 2021, 10:37 PM [ in reply to No weird habits but one that I still ]

My father too, Clover (Vietnam and Desert Storm Vet). And without his forcing or training, I too, do as well...I may not have served, but I have the utmost respect for those that have served, ESPECIALLY those that gave their life for us...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 6, 2021, 10:40 PM [ in reply to No weird habits but one that I still ]

I have that same problem Clover. Problem is the wrong word. It's a feeling I can't adequately describe.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 6, 2021, 11:51 PM

Tough one Joe. Understanding is the closest word I can encapsulate it with. But that application goes to so many facets. Understanding

What it takes to serve
The love and pain of family and friends
The fragility of life
The finality of death and things undone/unsaid

Plus it’s a helluva stirring piece of music. God bless each and everyone who has donned a uniform in service to this greatest of countries! Semper Fi!

Jan 8, 2021, 3:12 PM [ in reply to No weird habits but one that I still ]

going home gets me as well,but amazing grace played as a piper marches away slowly,and the sound becomes less and less is almost as heart-wrenching as taps.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Jan 7, 2021, 5:25 AM

After his Marine service including tour of Afghanistan, our son inhaled his food like his life depended on it. I imagine it could’ve in a combat setting, which he was in.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 7, 2021, 5:25 AM

After his Marine service including tour of Afghanistan, our son inhaled his food like his life depended on it. I imagine it could’ve in a combat setting, which he was in.

The One That Drives My Wife Absolutely Nuts

Jan 7, 2021, 9:10 AM

Is wherever I sleep, couch, chair, but mostly our bed, I can't fall asleep without all my stuff neatly positioned around me so when I wake up it's all at arms reach. Shoes spread open and ready to step into at the foot or side of the bed always end getting tripped over. Can thank the Serbs and Muj for this habit, they loved to rocket and mortar attack at 3-4AM and the jog/stumble to the bunker was 50 yards of half dressed humans slogging thru mud and snow sucked w/o boots.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 12
| visibility 3,183
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic