Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Got myself an offer. Time to negotiate.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 54
| visibility 1

Got myself an offer. Time to negotiate.

Jun 16, 2020, 9:42 AM

Anyone here had much success in negotiating an offer? Salary is already at the top of the published range and above industry standard so I'm not sure if I want to go there, but I would be losing a week of vacation so I'd like to ask for that back. Anything else I should be asking for?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ROH

Hookers and blow***

Jun 16, 2020, 9:45 AM

What is the position?

Jun 16, 2020, 9:45 AM

I'd at least go for the vacay, maybe ask for an extra week.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

The job is Sys Admin

Jun 16, 2020, 9:48 AM

So much for that accounting degree.

I'll definitely be asking for that week of vacation and I think I'll get it as I've already discussed it with the hiring manager previously. They have some personal days built in already but only 3 and not 5 to make up the whole third week I'd be losing. So we'll see what happens.

ROH

Vac would be a good ask, you'll prob get it unless

Jun 16, 2020, 9:46 AM

its out of their policy limit.

It is definitely out of their policy limit, but in my

Jun 16, 2020, 9:50 AM

discussions with the hiring manager he did say handshake deals on extra vacation could be made. Hate to not have that in writing, but if that's all I can get then I'll take it.

ROH

Have you considered asking for a higher salary

Jun 16, 2020, 9:47 AM

Does it hurt? Idk. Former coworker just had success going balls to the wall on salary (30% increase I think) and he got the extra week vacation he was going to lose during negotiation.

I have considered but I think I'd be going to far.

Jun 16, 2020, 9:52 AM

It's already at the top of the range listed for the job and well over the industry average.

ROH

Once you get what you want, ask if they'll take me too.***

Jun 16, 2020, 9:50 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How are your IT skills? They are building out an IT

Jun 16, 2020, 9:54 AM

department at the moment.

ROH

I know more about IT than I knew about customs

Jun 16, 2020, 9:58 AM

compliance 3.5 years ago.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Last time I negotiated I tried an extra week, they countered

Jun 16, 2020, 9:53 AM

with more money.

Worked for me.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'd be fine with that as well. I've never been one to say no

Jun 16, 2020, 9:59 AM

to more money.

ROH

I'd ask for remote work, if ots not already available.

Maybe a couple days a week.

What kinda sys admining are you doing?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It will already be mostly remote. I'll be in the office

Jun 16, 2020, 9:58 AM

5-6 days a month and will travel around 25% in the first year (once company travel restrictions are lifted) and then under 10% after that.

It's for a specific software, but I'll be running the whole backend as well which will all be on a few Azure servers.

ROH

I've recently been given our Azure environment.

Jun 16, 2020, 10:02 AM

I've owned our Azure stuff before when my team built the infrastructure for a Hadoop system, but this is a little different. The guy who reports to me makes more money than i do--he's a pretty sharp dude. You basically need to be a developer to stand up a new environment in it.

What kind of software is it? Don;t say any names--just what it does. Congrats!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Luckily I won't be standing this up on my own as I do not

Jun 16, 2020, 10:16 AM

have those development skills. My skills are definitely more software side at this point.

The software does inventory control which is a component of the current software I manage, but delves deeper into it.

ROH

Ask for an extra 15¢ and hour, knowing they'll counter at 10***

badge-ringofhonor-clemsonsteve02.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ask for an extra 15¢ and hour, knowing they'll counter at 10***

Stocked bar in your office.

A car with a refrigerated center console to keep cold ones for the drive home. (That’s if they won’t spring for the limo with driver and full stocked fridge in the back.)

Tell them you want to own your likeness

and allowed to keep all money made by any tweet or IG post.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Update, just talked to the hiring manager and he's working

Jun 16, 2020, 10:17 AM

on the three weeks. I think it will happen and when it does I will be accepting.

ROH

Congrats. Taking any time off between jobs?***

Jun 16, 2020, 10:18 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'll be taking off most of the month of July

Jun 16, 2020, 10:40 AM

as baby SwimminTiger will be arriving one of those first few days and I want a few weeks to become fully sleep deprived before starting the new gig.

ROH

You're doing this all wrong

Jun 16, 2020, 3:16 PM

Your old job should be paying you while you take paternity leave in July. Once paid leave is over, you hand in resignation and win.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I considered this, but I hate my current job so much

Jun 16, 2020, 4:44 PM

that I just want to be done with it. Also, I would have gotten a whopping 3 days of paternity leave and probably wouldn't have had more than a week of vacation approved, but that will be paid out anyway.

ROH

Congrats! I am sure that is a great feeling.***

Jun 16, 2020, 10:19 AM [ in reply to Update, just talked to the hiring manager and he's working ]

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Congrats! A sentence sharing my happiness for you.***

Jun 16, 2020, 10:21 AM [ in reply to Update, just talked to the hiring manager and he's working ]

Really nice touch. Your heartfelt reply probably made

Jun 16, 2020, 10:35 AM

his day.

Heck, it probably made his hole weak.***

Jun 16, 2020, 10:45 AM

Congrats! Steal the desk at your current job on the way out.***

Jun 16, 2020, 10:30 AM [ in reply to Update, just talked to the hiring manager and he's working ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I haven't been to my office since March.

Jun 16, 2020, 10:38 AM

I knew I would never go back and would quit if they tried to make me so I had my friend pack up my personal stuff and ship it back about six weeks ago. Also, there's not a thing in that office that would have been worth stealing. I'm not sure what kind of desk TentDweller had to be worth stealing all those years ago, but what I had was not it.

ROH

I heard that that particular piece of office

Jun 16, 2020, 11:03 AM

furniture was kindly donated to a friend, who then gave it to me. It's in my spare bedroom now.

Small world.

Re: Got myself an offer. Time to negotiate

Make sure you tell all the coots in your old workplace what you really think of them. Congratulations

No coots in the old place. Just about 90% bulldawgs.

Jun 16, 2020, 10:41 AM

They all know they suck though.

ROH

Update Update:

They gave me the third week so we're doing this thing. Signing the papers this afternoon.

ROH

Well Done!***

Jun 16, 2020, 10:42 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

How did you approach that. Being that I've

Jun 16, 2020, 10:42 AM [ in reply to Update Update: ]

never taken a job offer when not desperate for a job offer I have never felt I could say anything but, "Thanks, I accept."

If I had bigger balls I'd have negotiated salary too, but

Jun 16, 2020, 10:45 AM

I basically approached it as "I have three weeks vacation in my current role, I would really hate to take a step back from that. Is there anything we can do about that?" He countered with a signing bonus, but I said I'd rather have the vacation as that continues year to year he then said he'd see what he could do.

ROH

Congrats. I will be in that boat

Jun 16, 2020, 10:54 AM

starting Jan 2021. I need to jump for several reasons, biggest of which is no room for a promotion around here and not being a fan of the overall corporate culture. If I don't find something by then, that extra week of vacation kicks in. I feel like I can hardly take time with only 2 weeks but that 3rd is really quite freeing. On yeah, we used to get 24 days a year before the hostile takeover.

I've been looking since February and it's been a process.

Jun 16, 2020, 11:09 AM

I've never had to do a traditional job search like this so I was basically starting from scratch on the resume and everything else.

There are a number of reasons I want out of my current place. The fact that it's two hours from home is the main one and no one there believes in working from home. The second is that the owner is psychotic. Screaming and yelling all the time, etc. I've basically developed high blood pressure over the last year due to the stress from abysmal corporate culture.

24 days would be amazing. Did you have to use them for holidays and stuff too though?

ROH

It was amazing, I at least got to take advantage in

Jun 16, 2020, 11:22 AM

2017 and 2018. We got the 24 and could roll 10. We didn't have to use them for holidays either. I was unable to use any in 2016 due to start date, but could roll them. I played my cards right and rolled 9 of the days into 18. Company was bought out by giant corporation effective Jan 2018 so the policy changed but we were allowed the one time deal. They really, really should have just given us all the extra week but when you are acquired you really do feel like a piece of meat more than an asset.

Now I have 10 vacation days and 7 discretionary days. Those 7 days can't be staked more than 3 in a row without some documentation. The plus is, any unused portion of those 7 days gets paid out in December. I elect to look at it as a tiny bonus. Most of my co-workers figure out how to burn them up.

Are the discretionary days to be used as sick days too?

Jun 16, 2020, 12:53 PM

I've only taken one sick day in my career so far, but that will probably change as I have to used them for the kid.

You really did get the short end of the stick after that acquisition. The company I will be working for is planning on making a few acquisitions in the next couple of years, but at least I'll be on the other side of it. I'll probably just be dealing with integrating their current systems into ours, which always sucks.

ROH

Yeah, those are our "sick" days,

Jun 16, 2020, 4:29 PM

but can also be used for appointments and such.

Were we co-workers?***

Jun 16, 2020, 12:48 PM [ in reply to I've been looking since February and it's been a process. ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

Signing bonus equal to 1 week salary? roughly?

Jun 16, 2020, 10:55 AM [ in reply to If I had bigger balls I'd have negotiated salary too, but ]

or 7 weeks salary?

Or 7spots’ salary?

Jun 16, 2020, 11:03 AM

Take the signing bonus!

Signing bonus was going to be equal to Cobra healthcare

Jun 16, 2020, 11:03 AM [ in reply to Signing bonus equal to 1 week salary? roughly? ]

coverage for the time between jobs, but since the wife is employed and we can be on her healthcare that is not a factor.

ROH

Congrats, good for you!***

Jun 16, 2020, 12:06 PM [ in reply to Update Update: ]

Why can't you just be happy to have a job

Jun 16, 2020, 11:11 AM

millennials.

I like your funny words magic man

Because I want a job + all the perks and not just a job.***

Jun 16, 2020, 12:46 PM

ROH

Looks like I’m too late, but retirement contribution and vesting may be negotiable.

Jun 16, 2020, 11:17 AM

Haven’t had it work for me, but I’m sure it works for some.

Kangarts, dude!

I'm pretty sure there's something in the rules about having

Jun 16, 2020, 12:48 PM

equitable contributions across all plan participants. I could be wrong about that and I did not even ask about the vesting which is probably a mistake, but I'm hoping I can be with these folks for a while and that won't be an issue.

ROH

Ask for 6mo and 12mo reviews

Jun 16, 2020, 3:12 PM

Then negotiate pay raise at each.

Congratulations and good luck with your new job. Go

Jun 16, 2020, 3:14 PM

gettem!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 54
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic