Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Enny you folks an Eagle Scout?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 38
| visibility 1

Enny you folks an Eagle Scout?

Feb 26, 2021, 8:15 AM

Got mine in '76....Is it a big deal now?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

Seems like a pathway to easy college acceptance and

Feb 26, 2021, 8:18 AM

maybe better first job hiring percentages. After that, I guess you're the go-to knot-tying guy in the neighborhood and you'll always get fire building duty on every camping trip.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes. Yes they are still hard to earn, but some people cut

Feb 26, 2021, 8:19 AM

corners on them like they always have.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This might not be entirely accurate, but my son is

Feb 26, 2021, 8:21 AM

the same age as boys who are getting their Eagle Scout badge, and it seems like the final project du jour is to build some wooden benches in your garage and plop them out in the woods somewhere and say they're for handicapped people. 3/3 of the kids I know who just got it did similarly.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Same when I got mine 30 years ago. Some are fine monuments

Feb 26, 2021, 8:24 AM

to half-assery and nepotism. Others are genuinely hard work. I guess many are a combination of both.

This goes for the project and also all the badges and requirements along the way.

Mine was way more complex than that

Feb 26, 2021, 8:36 AM [ in reply to This might not be entirely accurate, but my son is ]

I was attempting to assist this older man. Long story short, we took a trip to South America together, befriended an extinct bird, and became great friends.

Your movie makes my eyes moist. That dog was awesome too.***

Feb 26, 2021, 10:31 AM

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Friend did a project checking smoke detectors in elderly

Feb 26, 2021, 8:52 AM [ in reply to This might not be entirely accurate, but my son is ]

people's homes. Checked the batteries, and if bad, replaced. If not working, we replaced the smoke detector totally. Did about 150 homes as I recall.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That sounds like a really lucrative business model.

Feb 26, 2021, 8:53 AM

someone should do that for a living.

Wasn't hard. He was going for his Eagle

Feb 26, 2021, 9:05 AM

I helped him but never got mine. But yeah, I thought it was a great idea. Somewhere around 90% of homes, probably, had one or multiple non-working smoke detectors. A few houses had none, and we added new ones there. Anyway, much better than a lot of other projects I've heard of....just a good idea better than some others I've heard of more recently.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Enny you folks an Eagle Scout?

Feb 26, 2021, 8:20 AM

There are definitely still some circles of society where it is valued. If nothing else, it is a line on a CV that is a surrogate marker for possessing qualities of commitment and motivation.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's amazing. You said the same thing I did, but yours

Feb 26, 2021, 8:22 AM

sounds like Amy Vanderbilt herself wrote it, and mine sounds like dialogue from an Ernest movie.

Re: That's amazing. You said the same thing I did, but yours

Feb 26, 2021, 8:24 AM

My time in Virginia has completed the transformation from lowly humble SC redneck into full-fledged East Coast Elitist. I even wear round framed tortoise shell glasses now.

It's good to see progress, but clearly room for improvement.

Feb 26, 2021, 8:25 AM

Consider me impressed when you ditch the glasses for a monocle.

Do you pronounce things like 'We are oot of butter'?***

Feb 26, 2021, 8:28 AM [ in reply to Re: That's amazing. You said the same thing I did, but yours ]

Re: Do you pronounce things like 'We are oot of butter'?***

Feb 26, 2021, 8:45 AM

Deliberately mispronouncing words is one of my elitist super powers, that and condescension. The commoners and their ord-nury educations...

When you're wearing a Carthartt hat in the summer

Feb 26, 2021, 8:35 AM [ in reply to Re: That's amazing. You said the same thing I did, but yours ]

You know you've arrived.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When you're wearing a Carthartt hat in the summer

Feb 26, 2021, 8:35 AM [ in reply to Re: That's amazing. You said the same thing I did, but yours ]

You know you've arrived.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 26, 2021, 8:26 AM

Son of midland has his. Earned it in 2006 I believe. Scouting is still a great organization. I know we would not have camped as much without it. ms midland considers staying at a hotel roughing it. We did Philmont, Barstow and just about every state park in SC. We made a lot of great memories.

I went to Philmont in 75.....What a really cool experience.

Feb 26, 2021, 8:29 AM

Hiked Mt. Baldy and Tooth of Time. 70 miles in 10 days.

Prolly couldn't do it now without more training, but what a fabulous place.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

Nephew-of going back for his 2nd Philmont tour this summer.

Feb 26, 2021, 8:33 AM [ in reply to Re: Enny you folks an Eagle Scout? ]

He really got a lot out of it. When he first went a couple of years ago, I was worried that he wouldn't be able to hack it. But he did fantastic, loved it, and it seemed to give him a lot of confidence.

Funny, I did scouts and my brother (Nephew's dad) did not. But now nephew is heavily involved in scouts and my son has never been the slightest bit interested.

Eagle Scouts are a bunch of punks***

Feb 26, 2021, 8:34 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Re: Eagle Scouts are a bunch of punks***

Feb 26, 2021, 8:37 AM

I resemble that remark

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

So, how was your snipe hunt?***

Feb 26, 2021, 8:41 AM [ in reply to Eagle Scouts are a bunch of punks*** ]

I fell for it. I was maybe 13 - made my Dad feel like crap

Feb 26, 2021, 8:52 AM

for "lying" to me once I found out. He was the Scoutmaster and led the hunt.

I thought Scouts was about honesty & integrity . . . blah, blah, blah. Probably the only time I saw him speechless - lol.

I was a little punk that needed to be slapped . . . lol.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Yep

Feb 26, 2021, 8:36 AM

Kind of nice to get to wear the pin at ceremonies and be one of the first to greet new Eagles.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

Life Scout here - we moved - the new area had a TERRIBLE

Feb 26, 2021, 8:41 AM

troop and I lost interest - 6 months from the finish line.

My brother was Eagle, Order of the Arrow . . . . all kinda upper level stuff. But he's a tarhole - so he's useless, even with all his merit badges.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Yes 1987

Feb 26, 2021, 8:54 AM

I was 14 almost 15, my son got his 2 months faster and reminds me

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

14? Geez. I was one of those finishing right before the

Feb 26, 2021, 9:10 AM

cutoff date. Can't remember if it was 17th or 18th birthday.

Yep, dad warned me that if I didn't get it before I

Feb 26, 2021, 9:27 AM

could drive, that I wouldn't, because freedom....YOLO

So after that did you stay involved w/ scouts?***

Feb 26, 2021, 9:33 AM

Nope

Feb 26, 2021, 9:57 AM

found a job and girls. In that order, unfortunately

Re: Nope

Feb 26, 2021, 10:02 AM

Dude

Feb 26, 2021, 10:10 AM

that WAS me.

Literally broke up with my gf before senior year thinking I'd be drowning in puss.

Girls be like

Feb 26, 2021, 9:00 AM

I went to a couple of meetings and never even became a tenderfoot and quit. My Dad would drop me off and I wouldn't even go in. I would go across to the school across the street and play basketball. Now that I am old I wish I would have had more disiprine. Disprine comes from within though.

1989- still on resume***

Feb 26, 2021, 9:20 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"something in these hills..." -joe sherman

2004 or 2003, don't remember.***

Feb 26, 2021, 10:25 AM

Got mine in 1994 by the skin of my teeth before turning 18

Feb 26, 2021, 10:51 AM

In fact it wasn’t even awarded until after 18. I took a hiatus after getting a license, a car, and a girlfriend, but my granddad convinced me to finish it up.

I’m glad I did and now that I have a 13 year old in BSA, I’ve found that I really enjoy doing the same stuff with him again.

He’s working on his hiking merit badge which entails at least 70 miles of hiking, and he’s asked me to do it with him. We’re about 20 miles into it so far...

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Got mine in 1994 by the skin of my teeth before turning 18

Feb 26, 2021, 10:51 AM

In fact it wasn’t even awarded until after 18. I took a hiatus after getting a license, a car, and a girlfriend, but my granddad convinced me to finish it up.

I’m glad I did and now that I have a 13 year old in BSA, I’ve found that I really enjoy doing the same stuff with him again.

He’s working on his hiking merit badge which entails at least 70 miles of hiking, and he’s asked me to do it with him. We’re about 20 miles into it so far...

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 38
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic