Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Got a question about hydroplaning.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1,755

Got a question about hydroplaning.

Oct 1, 2015, 10:21 PM

I've got a tiny 98 Suburu Impreza AWD was only going about 30-35 and just about hit a guy due to hydroplaning. Later on I was slowing down towards a red light and my back tires like slipped towards the curb. My tires are brand new. Should this be happening? How can I get it to quit?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Got a question about hydroplaning.

Oct 1, 2015, 10:23 PM

1. Put a couple bags of sand in the back of you're fish tailing (even if you don't, it'll put more downforce on the tires)
2. Get better all weather tires

Oct 1, 2015, 10:25 PM

Thank You, will definitely try the
sand bags.

Oct 1, 2015, 10:28 PM

It's physics. If there's enough water on the road, 35 mph may very well provide lift. Be careful when you're creating a wake. No way your tires are making good contact in that case.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Sep 16, 2020, 2:15 PM

Check the tire pressure

Are you sporting tires that are not recommended...

Oct 2, 2015, 12:24 AM

for your car? If not buy some. If you've got the correct width of tires your manufacturer recommends then slow your ### down.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 2, 2015, 1:45 AM

Your tires are the only contact you have with the road, so there's your problem. There are huge differences between brands and the type tires you use. Stick with name brands ( preferably Michelins!) and All Season tires will give you the best performance in all type conditions: wet, dry, snow, etc.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

less flotation

Oct 2, 2015, 8:36 AM

The more contact patch, the more likely you are to hydroplane. A big heavy truck won't hydroplane but a small car will on even a small puddle.

Speed has a role in it too. The faster you go the more tension is on the water surface, think of falling into water, higher you are the more concrete like the water becomes.

So the best thing you can do is just slow down when you see a big puddle. Usuall the car pulls to the deeper water so be prepared for that.

#1 factor

Oct 2, 2015, 8:42 AM

is speed. Slow down. That's all you can do.

While only going 30mph if you hydroplane it's because you were going too fast for conditions. Brand new tires obviously have adequate tread, so you are good there.

Reduce your speed

Oct 2, 2015, 8:55 AM

matching speed with road conditions = safer driving

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Reduce your speed

Oct 2, 2015, 9:24 AM

http://www.wikihow.com/Stop-Hydroplaning

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If you feel yourself start to slip DO NOT slam on brakes

Oct 2, 2015, 9:29 AM

that only makes it worse... just ride it out without making any sudden jerks of the wheel. Be careful and mindful of standing water in the road and drive slowly.

You people are crazy

Oct 2, 2015, 9:30 AM

You've let the left wing media fool you again. There's no such thing as hydroplaning.
Al Gore made it up

Replies: 12
| visibility 1,755
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic