Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Goodbye to ALL my TiGER Friends on TNet. It's been great ...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 79
| visibility 1

Goodbye to ALL my TiGER Friends on TNet. It's been great ...

Aug 6, 2014, 11:46 PM

over the past 4 1/2 years of sharing my personal thoughts, views, ideas, dreams, fears, memories, concerns and past experiences relating to Clemson Sports..particularly Football. This is my 10,001 post, while I meant to retire at 10K but remember I failed remedial math at CU!

I was fortunate (or unfortunate) to have attended & graduated from Dear Ole Clemson in the last days of ratting..rat caps..seniors making you sing your HS Alma Mater while standing and they were hastily gobbling down all the roast beef/taters/green beans/bread..climbing up the greased flag pole near Tom Clemson's statue for what I forget..guarding Pendleton from cOOTs (wouldn't have known one IF I saw one!)..hearing the Deacon preach to us before the CU/SC game..enjoying two-platoon football..beating the cOOTs often and after the 1959 beat down at WillieB they had to come to our place for the 1st time in probably 60+ years (cowards!) on a home & away basis..a stadium that had no upper decks but real hedges before Coach Howard cut them down due to maintenance.. seeing him coach FB practices with some gruff words just yards from my old quadrangle dorm window on what's now the soccer field..thinking the Tin Cans were great & modern even if noisy..wearing sport coats & ties so to be Clemson Gentlemen..

thumbing rides to Greenville in front of the Administration Building (Library back then)..riding with a buddy to double-date girls at Columbia College and have to sit in lobby til they came down those Tara-like steps but having to have them back in by 11PM or else, eating at Dan's Hamburgers and attending a $1 flick at theater now used by Ibrahim's Clothing, Judge Keller's being the main place for Orange stuff, no Lake Hartwell (in 1959), no girls (well, maybe a few), getting your grades by finding them posted on bulletin board near class door (for all to see) couple days after exam..having a male cheerleader who really led..attending basketball games in a gym the size of your back yard with a heating system that made you wish you'd worn a bathing suit..hanging out at the Loggia was neat since first TV's were there, but the football players would get the sofas & chairs..attending class mandated weird movies at the YMCA theater..the Clemson House was the place to dine on Sundays..professors were professors..life seemed less hectic..the college book store had a monopoly on the distribution & cost of books..ROTC was thought patriotic and correct.. and Bowman Field was/is the premier beauty spot of our campus IMO.

I entered Clemson in 1959 but dropped out after that first semester due to being very ill with the Asian Flu..and thus became depressed and joined the Navy for awhile..coming back years later married and living in a WW2 pre-fab house that was located at where the Athletic Offices' parking lot is now.

Then, during the first week of my last semester as a Senior I broke my hip slipping in the snow late one evening while delivering a sports article I'd written for The TIGER student newspaper. (Over my tenure I'd interviewed Coach Howard, Coach Bob Jones, Coach Bill Wilheim and many athletes). This untimely accident caused my Wife, myself & our Families much grief for six months while I was in the hospital and later in a near-full body cast on one side and across the stomach-chest area. Overeating was always a mistake!

But, I attended Summer School..walking with crutches the first semester..taking way too many courses to get out in August..but made it out..but not at the outdoor Amphitheater as did my class, but in old Tillman Hall which was special still..got a job and started a Family in Greenville.

Years passed..several employments (self & with family too..in G'ville & Charlotte), with many many scores of Clemson football games attended home & away with my Family..carrying & hoisting the first 3'x5' Cotton PAW Flag to all of them from 1977-1992 (with SID Bob Bradly naming me "The FlaGMan")..with my Son & I bonding due to attending many great games & bowls (best might have been driving to ND in '79 for a win when he was only 9..and day b/4 game having Danny Ford allow us to walk into the famed Irish Stadium with the Team to check it out but later we got locked within the stadium since team locked the locker room door on us! (that's another story on how we got out..but hint would be my hearing student managers spray painting those famous golden-colored helmets after Fridays practice would suffice). And, after all those fun trips of my Son & I following the Tigers together he decided Clemson was where he wanted to attend college, graduating at age 21 and then headed to Law School..both of which were proud days for sure!

But, since I've spent over 3000 happy & satisfying hours on TigerNet over the last 4 1/2 years..with many enjoyable posts (10,000) and reading ten times as many from you while following 2000 friends..I must now allot more time to other issues & hobbies in life since at 73 it is getting shorter. I'm retiring the old "lightbulbbill" handle as far as posting..but will check in occasionally to see what you're saying & thinking! And, yes, I'll be "following" you incognito..so watch out!

SO, Thanks ALL TigerNet Friends for the good times of sharing our loyalty to our favorite college Team..CLEMSON. It was a pleasure I'll never forget!

Cheers, "Lightbulb" BiLL

Oh..GoTiGERS!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cheers to a T-net legend.***

Aug 6, 2014, 11:52 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Goodbye to ALL my TiGER Friends on TNet. It's been great ...

Aug 6, 2014, 11:52 PM

I hate to see you go LiGHTbuLBbIlL. Good luck in whatever new adventures you get into.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 6, 2014, 11:54 PM

Man, you can't really be leaving without a 100% tiger pulse can you? Best wishes to you. Your posts have always been fun to read.

:-(***

Aug 6, 2014, 11:54 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Great story, thanks for sharing those memories....***

Aug 6, 2014, 11:56 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

wOrsT tNet sUiCdE evAr***

Aug 6, 2014, 11:56 PM

Good luck LBB !!***

Aug 7, 2014, 12:06 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Noooooo!!!!!!!!

Aug 7, 2014, 12:20 AM

LBB is a legend....

badge-seniorwriter.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Noooooo!!!!!!!!

Aug 7, 2014, 1:15 AM

Interesting that your "666" post was in response to light bulbs final post :)

Dabid is da debil***

Aug 7, 2014, 7:55 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 7, 2014, 12:23 AM

You'll be missed Bill! Enjoy life and go Tigers!

Aug 7, 2014, 9:29 PM

O.k. lighbulb you can't retire quite yet you are so close to 1000 posts then you can retire or refire which every you prefer but until then may the TIGERS finally conqueror those horrible usc ugly stinking chickens! Come on less than 100 to go until 1,000 posts you can make it my friend!

Anyone who TDs this should be perma-banned

Aug 7, 2014, 12:34 AM

Lump in throat

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

C'mon Bill..don't write as much if u have more important

Aug 7, 2014, 12:59 AM

things to do, but don't leave Tigernet!!!

Aug 7, 2014, 1:08 AM

I'm no legend but hate to see you go dear tiger brother!

Re: Goodbye to ALL my TiGER Friends - NO.NO.NO.NO.NO!!!

Aug 7, 2014, 1:10 AM

You can't leave now...
NOT when things are REALLY getting interesting...

Just write something short.
Like, HI! or I'm still here. or a :) (We'll all understand).
'wish you the BEST!
GO TIGERS!!!

You're one of the most deserving to be on the T-Net Ring of

Aug 7, 2014, 1:23 AM

Honor. You have had some of the greatest posts I've seen on here, and I wish we could see all the stories you have involving Clemson (Although I'm sure theres way too many to type out)

I hope you come to your senses and return to us, but if not, it's been great getting to interact with you on here!

Go Tigers!

Heard a lot of those stories from my Dad. Brings back a time

Aug 7, 2014, 1:42 AM

when life was much simpler. Best of luck down the road and thanks for being my lone follower

I'm sending you a cake or bakery delicacy of your choice...

Aug 7, 2014, 1:43 AM

Hey, its better than me going on a hunger strike in petition of this. Wish you the very best my friend. Your legacy started the next generation. You've inspired us all.

Is it ok to cry?? What say you? ;)

LBB, Why not post once or twice a week ?

Aug 7, 2014, 1:52 AM

Your posts will be greatly missed.

Aug 7, 2014, 2:15 AM

Well Bill, you really don't have to completely retire. I've always thought that you were a good old fart even though they smelled bad sometimes. It really don't matter what GWP and dsp say about you, H&ll I like you and so does 2 or 3 more around here. What bothers me most about you completely retiring, I won't really have much use for my TU button. These things will freeze up when their not used every now and then. H&ll my TD button is already perma stuck on a selective few on here, but I'm satisfied that when it locked up completely, it locked up on class09. I guess I'll just keep you in my prayers, and hope that you'll stop back by more than you really wanted to even if its only to say Hi. The very best to you Leather Tiger, keep your Roar loud and proud, Gooo Tigersssss, come back Billllll!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bill,

Aug 7, 2014, 2:47 AM

My Dad started Clemson in '60 and graduated in '64. He passed away unexpectedly in 2012. As per his wishes, I scattered his ashes in Death Valley. I can tell that Clemson is "in you" just as it was my Father. I hope you embrace that love for our great university and spend whatever spare time you have continuing to be a fan of the Tigers! Go Tigers!!!!!!

Re: Points Sir

Aug 7, 2014, 4:25 AM

Nice write up of your experiences,

However no one evar leaves Tnet.

Just saying.

Great Post! Brings back a lot of fond memories as I grew

Aug 7, 2014, 4:31 AM

up just a few blocks away from Death Valley. Good Luck and at 73 you still have a lot of time left so never say never.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I suppose I know where you're coming from, old Friend,

Aug 7, 2014, 5:40 AM

for I am reminded of my last few days at Clemson, when new horizons meant saying goodbye to old friends and old places while looking forward to new adventures.

For those of us older Tigers who have finally acknowledged the brevity of life, we find some of those new adventures taking even greater priority than they once might have. And so we move on to other interests.

I've only "retired" three times, and each has spawned new situations in which I have found myself as busy or busier than before. This latest has provided me with less time for diversions, such as TigerNet, probably to the relief of many and regret of only a few, yet I still enjoy the occasional visit or post.

Hopefully, time will afford you the same opportunity while being kind to your new interests.

Goodbye, old Friend...at least for now, til our paths cross again.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks for all and good luck in the future! If I had known

Aug 7, 2014, 6:37 AM

you were such an informed and knowledgeable fellow, I would've epaod closer attention!!! LOL So long friend!

paid closer attention......and learned how to type!.....lol***

Aug 7, 2014, 9:28 AM

This made my eyes rain

Aug 7, 2014, 6:38 AM

God Speed LBB!!!

TU LBB!

Aug 7, 2014, 6:55 AM

You were up late.

Maybe you could come post after every Tiger game?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

TigerNet be like Joey and LBB be like Alan Ladd

Aug 7, 2014, 6:59 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lAY-rRRa4o

Enjoy your LONG ride off into the sunset

Aug 7, 2014, 7:12 AM

Best wishes lbb. Legend indeed.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 7, 2014, 7:12 AM

Thanks for your wisdom Lightbulbbill. How about you T-mail
some of us and let us know how things are going. It wouldn't
count on your post total and it would make us check our T-mail more often. We could post that LBB is doing so n so.
Just a thought and Good Luck to You Sir.

Dadgum it man, 73 is just about at the midlife point

Aug 7, 2014, 7:37 AM

and you are jumping ship now!? (That was a Navy ref - one salt to another) Well, good luck AND, make sure you have fun!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

John 3:16; 14:1-6

Aug 7, 2014, 7:52 AM

Your posts will be missed! Go Tigers!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good Luck and Best Wishes

Aug 7, 2014, 8:09 AM

Thanks for the great posts over the years!

Can you come back as "blownoutbill"?

Aug 7, 2014, 8:19 AM

Take care. A pleasure getting to know you through TigerNet!!! Best wishes!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Check in with us occasionally Bill

Aug 7, 2014, 8:21 AM

Don't be a stranger. Godspeed buddy, and don't worry...we'll all keep hartins in line!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

You da man.***

Aug 7, 2014, 8:28 AM

Aug 7, 2014, 8:29 AM

I was there from 63 to 67 including four summer
sessions and I share those memories with you of another
time, another place.
Be well my friend.

To Whomever TDd this post,

Aug 7, 2014, 8:30 AM

"I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let my daughter go now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you.

signed
stalkercrzy

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks to you!

Aug 7, 2014, 8:32 AM

Take care and . . .

GO TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aug 7, 2014, 8:37 AM

null

Goodbye to a TNET great.***

Aug 7, 2014, 9:06 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

Whoever TD'd this needs to be throat punched.***

Aug 7, 2014, 9:07 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

but the trumper blower's staying... right?

Aug 7, 2014, 9:14 AM

;)

be well lbb, thanks for the smiles.

Bill, thanks for your contributions to Clemson University!

Aug 7, 2014, 9:29 AM

Stay well --- and don't be a stranger :)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Bill you can't go! PleAsE KeEp PosTiNG!***

Aug 7, 2014, 9:29 AM

Wow, what great memories your post brought back. Wish

Aug 7, 2014, 9:54 AM

you great health and times in the road ahead. God bless.

Goodbye, LbB. You will be missed around here...

Aug 7, 2014, 9:59 AM

Anyone know if LbB had a son... maybe a little 40WbB to continue on in lBB's stead?

I always enjoyed lightbulbbill's posts and the stories of the good old days. Men like him paved the way for me/us and the Tigers of today. Thanks for passing on a Clemson that had lots of pride which endures still today. Rock on, Tiger! Rock on!!

GO TIGERS!!!!!

Yes, he mentions his son in the post.***

Aug 7, 2014, 10:11 AM

Multitasking got me again. Thanks.***

Aug 7, 2014, 12:47 PM

so LONg BiLlLoFTHeLIgHTbULbS***

Aug 7, 2014, 10:09 AM

Aug 7, 2014, 10:09 AM

Aug 7, 2014, 10:10 AM

Aug 7, 2014, 10:12 AM

Aug 7, 2014, 10:19 AM

You are one of the best LiGHtbUlb, Thanks for your stories and best wishes to you and your family in the FuTuRe....

The CapS keY wiLL BloW tHE SCok...***

Aug 7, 2014, 10:32 AM

null

Message was edited by: SOLOS®

Aug 7, 2014, 10:37 AM

Thanks for bringing back lots of great memories, I was at Clemson during that same era. I'm almost as old as you are so I understand where you're coming from-best of luck to you as you travel on through life.

FAIRWOODTIGER 67

Aug 7, 2014, 10:53 AM

It has always been a pleasure reading your posts and comments, lightbulbbill, but I've especially enjoyed your reminiscing about the Clemson of days gone by. I certainly appreciate you being such a very positive and unwavering fan of Clemson athletics, as all schools need more fans like yourself. May God bless you in all future endeavors, my friend.

Aug 7, 2014, 11:01 AM

My God, Bill, I remember all those things too. I don't post often, but have enjoyed your comments and your unwavering loyalty to Clemson. You are a true Clemson man and I can offer no higher compliment than that.

All for one and one for all.

Bill!***

Aug 7, 2014, 11:27 AM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 7, 2014, 11:44 AM

BiLL: There are so few genuine connections back to the heart of what dear old Clemson truly was/is about -- thanks for being that for us, BiLL! Really gonna miss you and your love of all things Clemson! And thanks for being my only Tnet follower too -- hoping you enjoy the "Bright Light from the Carolina Coast and hoping you get to witness a huge Orange sunset tonight"!

GO TIGERS!***

Aug 7, 2014, 12:48 PM

Bill, words fail me

Aug 7, 2014, 12:52 PM

So, I'll give you one last TU.

Don't ever change.

"Because at the end of the game, everyone knew that they weren’t that much better than us or better than us at all."

Aug 7, 2014, 12:54 PM

Two TD's in this good bye to all his T-Net friends and T-Net acquaintances from Bill. You know those had to be two of the worst low life T-Netters that has ever logged into T-Net. Holding vendetta's on a 73 year old man that graduated Clemson in 1959, life long Clemson Tiger. If that's not reason to ban forever for Tiger Net abuse of privileges, I just don't know what could constitute a life time ban. Grump and B-Heist has to know that those two do not belong on this board after giving a TD for this type post with 121 respect TUs and two trashy disrespecting TDs. Crump they should be gone with their IP address ban forever. And those 121 TUs should also be the vote for a life time ban, with two no votes!!!

Agree

Aug 7, 2014, 12:57 PM

I think the powers that be should expose the guilty TD'ers so that we can all put them on ignore.

Godspeed my T'Net friend!

Aug 7, 2014, 8:45 PM

Godspeed. Go Tigers!

To most of what you said, "been there, done that". Good luck***

Aug 7, 2014, 8:55 PM

Aug 7, 2014, 9:03 PM

it's all been said at this point,and you've been blessed in ways too numerous to be listed.God bless and Godspeed.you will be missed.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

GoDspEeD aND GoD bLeSs YOu!!!

Aug 7, 2014, 9:07 PM

reSpEctfULly, WrEncUdAD :)

I haven't cried this hard since the end of The Notebook***

Aug 7, 2014, 9:15 PM

Aug 7, 2014, 9:50 PM

Well %$#@, just cross the southern border and come back as an illegal alien!

Aug 7, 2014, 9:50 PM

Well %$#@, just cross the southern border and come back as an illegal alien!

Like Clint Eastwood in "High Plains Drifter", LBB rides off

Aug 7, 2014, 9:52 PM

into the sunset. Happy trails to you Wild Bill.

Aug 7, 2014, 10:08 PM

O.k. lighbulb you can't retire quite yet you are so close to 1000 posts then you can retire or refire which every you prefer but until then may the TIGERS finally conqueror those horrible usc ugly stinking chickens! Come on less than 100 to go until 1,000 posts you can make it my friend!

Not quite as regular as many others on here, but your ....

Aug 7, 2014, 10:15 PM

bio reads about like mine.... started coming over to games at about 12 years old when my mom would drop me off at the White Horse Drive-in with a dollar in my pocket....enough for a cheeseburger at Dan's and a ticket to the football game....wore the rat hat until we either beat Sakerlina or I think until Thanksgiving....of course whipped them so got to take them off a little early..... destroyed a Volkswagen bug on a freshman panty raid (we outnumbered the girls 15:1) and each freshman was charged a few bucks to replace the VW.... frisbee had just gotten big, so wasted a lot of time on the road in front of the "Tin Cans" throwing the ole disc.........

eventually graduated.....Marines (OCS at Quantico).......Uncle Sam thought Viet Nam a good idea and needed me there....... combat engineer, so I blew up a lot of stuff.... re- built a lot of stuff that the other side blew up...like bridges......hunted down IED's every morning on Highway 1....home after a year....married.... two chilluns.....one of each.......daughter Wake Forest grad (huge Tiger sports fan though)........ son graduated from Clemson...........and life still goes on...........and it is about to get better as soon as football season starts....plenty of reason to still keep on living!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks LBB for all of your great posts!!!!!!!

With all due respect Mods, this post allows the TNet family to say goodbye to Bill...

Aug 7, 2014, 10:21 PM

Please do what you must to ensure the post ends up at 100%. TIA out loud.

THIS IS WHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT, BOY!!***

Aug 7, 2014, 10:26 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg2006_nit_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We're friends. You laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You jump off a bridge, I get in my boat and save your retarded a$$.

Aug 7, 2014, 10:27 PM

:(

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Replies: 79
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic