Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Jack leggett supporter-dont care if I get flamed
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 56
| visibility 1

Jack leggett supporter-dont care if I get flamed

Jun 3, 2014, 9:36 AM

I did not play baseball at Clemson but I did graduate from Clemson and I am a huge Clemson baseball fan as well as iptay member and season football ticket holder.I did play college baseball for two years and I presently coach high school baseball. The bashing of Coach Leggett by this fan base is unwarranted. Should the fans be disappointed- Yes! Is there anyone more disappointed than Coach Leggett, I doubt it. I have worked camps for him for 20 years. I respect him as much as any coach I have ever been around. His knowledge of the game and his passion is incredible. Watching him interact with kids and teach the game is something most have never witnessed first hand. I have. I was able to take my son to camp last summer with me for the first time. Coach treated him like every other camper but he also made him feel like the most important kid on the planet. He is a man of character and he is a teacher and role model of hard work and discipline. He is a man of integrity. I know better than most that in sports, the bottom line is wins and losses. His track record is pretty dang good. He has not won the big one but very few do. Most of the fans on this board aren't the best at their job either. Most aren't the best engineer in the country, the best doctor in the country, the best car salesman, etc. Most would love to enjoy the sucess at their chosen field that he has achieved in his. If you don't think he's been successful, ask his peers. Should we be better in baseball, I don't know. Parity is prevelant in college baseball. More so than ever. Just look at the regionals this year. Is Coach Leggett content with the current state of the program, Hell no! Does he deserve the chance to turn it around, YES! He brings in quality young men who represent our university well. He runs a clean program that is well respected and highly competitive year in year out. Yes, there have been some ugly losses but all losses aren't coaching. Yes, he has made mistakes in the heat of the battle. Every coach has. Monday morning quarterbacks are never wrong. Most have never had to make split decisions in the heat of a game. I support him and the players and will continue to do so. That's my opinion and I am entitled to it. Flame Away!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

dsp to label your post as POTD in 3...2...1...***

Jun 3, 2014, 9:38 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

^^^^Thinks

Jun 3, 2014, 9:40 AM

dsp can spell POTD!!!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Make it idjit proof and someone will make a better idjit.

Good to hear from you

Jun 3, 2014, 9:42 AM

Mrs. Leggett ;)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Re: Good to hear from you

Jun 3, 2014, 9:49 AM

Nope not mrs. Leggett. Just a true fan who happens to love Clemson and loves baseball. Chose to make a career out of baseball and happen to know just a little about the game and profession. Not just a bandwagon fan who only supports his school when things are going good. There will be adversity in everything. How you handle it reveals your true character.

Two points I would appreciate clarification on,

Jun 3, 2014, 10:03 AM

I'm assuming you didn't mean them in an insulting way, just curious though.

Are you implying that you can't be a true fan if you do want Leggett gone so the program can gain new life?

Would you agree that to even a casual fan or in your words, a "bandwagon fan," the decline of the program over the past decade is obvious and it's not just a little adversity for the past year or two which any reasonable person could see and deal with? (aka Georgia football last season with all those injuries)

Whatever you do, always give 100%.....unless it's donating blood

Re: Two points I would appreciate clarification on,

Jun 3, 2014, 10:19 AM

Past decade? They were in Ohama in the final four in 2010 correct? That is not decline. I know this will #### some off, but the truth hurts sometimes. Had South Carolina not won the national championship in back to back years, this conversation would not be happening. Because we lost to our rivals on that stage, fans forget we were in the Final Four! Our program is really a victim of the sucess of our rivals. They won the national championship so we should too. If your neighbor wins the lottery, you aren't poor just because you didn't. Your 5,000 sq. foot house suddenly isn't good enough because of what he has. Some won't get the anology but its the truth. Their championship has created part of this baseball obsession with firing the coach.,it has to be somebody's fault

I said past decade because there were some good years

Jun 3, 2014, 10:24 AM

in there and you should have a good cross section of time to get the good and bad, which I think is fair.

I remember that very well. I was in TD's eating some wings watching us lose to USCjr during the CWS. Was it awesome that we made it Omaha? Absolutely. It was great, it was a great time to be a student. But you also need to take into account our record against USCjr the past decade and until we can beat them consistently it's gonna be tough to get back to Omaha.

No where did I state nor do I think that just because USCjr won it that mean's Jack has to also to keep his job. They've had great success, they've been one of the best teams in college baseball over the past 4-5 years, so they are a good measuring stick, especially since we play them regularly.

I respect your opinion, and see some of your points, but just because a lot of people want a change in the baseball program doesn't mean they aren't true Tiger fans just like you are

Re: I said past decade because there were some good years

Jun 3, 2014, 10:35 AM

I was simply stating my opinion. There has been a lot of bashing of the man as well as the coach. Everyone has a right to their opinion. The minority opinions tend to be bashed for believing differently. I respect your opinion, I just disagree with decline over the decade. Has there been off years the last couple, yes. Dies that warrant firing? I don't think so. How many kids can say they have played in Ohama? Every Clemson player who stayed four years has done that in the leggett era until this year. Sometimes players don't perform. Sometimes the ball doesn't bounce your way. Sometimes your competition raises their level. Sometimes the draft kills your incoming class. Sometimes guys leave early. There are many variables, way too many to count. However, the program is not in shambles by any stretch if the imagination

Re: I said past decade because there were some good years

Jun 3, 2014, 10:44 AM

Charliescoach, after reading your last post you are the last one that should be pointing out spelling errors to anyone else.. With that said I think it is utterly laughable that you do not agree with the decline over the last 10 years.

I would agree with a lot of that,

Jun 3, 2014, 10:54 AM [ in reply to Re: I said past decade because there were some good years ]

but you can't use them as a crutch to bad playing just the same.

Other than some of his recent ill advised comments aimed at the fan base, I don't necessarily have any issues with him as a person, not that I know much about him but his job is to coach our team anyways.

Hey if he does get to stay and has better success either with or without making changes to the coaching staff that's awesome, I honestly hate it when anyone loses their job, unless they deserve to of course (gross negligence, slacking off, etc...)

At the end of the day it doesn't matter to me if Jack is the one leading our team to victory, or another coach, I just want our team to reach their potential

Message was edited by: CUtiger2012®

Re: I would agree with a lot of that,

Jun 3, 2014, 10:57 AM

Spot on

Re: I would agree with a lot of that,

Jun 3, 2014, 12:55 PM [ in reply to I would agree with a lot of that, ]

I agree with CUtiger2012 110%. I don't care if it's Jack, Bobby Cox, Dabo (who does have exp in little league baseball coaching), or the guy coaching rec down the street....I just want to see our team reach it's potential. We lost to wayyyyyy too many teams we had no business losing to. Pitching was bad...can't hit or field....we just could not do the fundamentals and to me, a lot of that comes down to coaching or has the team given up on the coach? We got swept by a SC team that was overrated and by a coach that has nowhere near the level of experience Jack has. SC has OWNED us the last 10 years and it's got to stop.

As far as the comments against him....comes with the territory. Need to wear a thick coat of armor and be ready to take it. He'll get no pity points from me because he's taking some bashing.

Need new leadership!

Go Tigers!

Re:You have to admit that in the last few years those

Jun 3, 2014, 11:14 AM [ in reply to Re: I said past decade because there were some good years ]

"sometimes" have bounced the wrong way about "every time". That can't continue as it has become a pattern. A coach has to manage those 'sometimes." it has got to be more than a roll of the dice.

Jun 3, 2014, 10:05 AM [ in reply to Re: Good to hear from you ]

Oh boy, another "if you don't agree with me you're not a true fan" t netter.

Jun 3, 2014, 10:16 AM [ in reply to Re: Good to hear from you ]

Charlies Coach---great post!!! That was probably the best message I have ever read on this site. The finger-pointers that typically post here are exactly that: Monday morning QB's. Everyone wants to win, and Clemson along with Jack Leggett have always been a winner in more ways than one. I, too, am a baseball nut. Having been to Omaha 11 times, there's nothing more enjoyable than being there when your team is there. But, only 8 teams make it each year. Jack Leggitt's record speaks for itself and I do hope what he reads (if he even reads whats on this site) is not representing the majority. If you're a true TIGER, be a team player and shut up!

So paraphrasing what you just said;

Jun 3, 2014, 10:18 AM

"You are not a true Clemson Tiger unless you agree with my opinion."

Nice. Close minded much?

Jun 3, 2014, 9:52 AM [ in reply to Good to hear from you ]

Mrs Leggett ain't gonna like this...

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pics?***

Jun 3, 2014, 10:04 AM

Very well said.....................

Jun 3, 2014, 9:46 AM

speaking as the parent of a four year, All American Tiger I agree 100%.

There Are These New Things

Jun 3, 2014, 9:47 AM

known as paragraphs. Leggett's had the last decade to "turn it around", his time is up.

So let him retire and run youth camps***

Jun 3, 2014, 9:50 AM

Re: So let him retire and run youth camps***

Jun 3, 2014, 10:27 AM

The youth of america deserve to field better than Leggett can coach.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

TL: DR***

Jun 3, 2014, 9:51 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dang lazy kids.***

Jun 3, 2014, 10:06 AM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Jack leggett supporter-dont care if I get flamed

Jun 3, 2014, 9:51 AM

This Jack Leggett you talk about sounds like a pretty good coach and a heck of a guy... I didn't realize there were two of them

Are you a HS coach in South Carolina?

Jun 3, 2014, 9:52 AM

If so, I'm surprised Jack gives you the time of day.

Re: Are you a HS coach in South Carolina?

Jun 3, 2014, 9:59 AM

Absolutely, spot on.

I'm an assistant coach with an American Legion summer team and not once have I seen ANYONE from Clemson scout our players.

I have seen staff from USuCk, C of C, Wofford, Presbyterian, Coastal Carolina scout some of our players.

What gives?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Maybe they were incognito so as to not tip their hand

Jun 3, 2014, 10:05 AM

as to whom they were interested in to the enemy

;)

Did any players to to USCe? If not, then good time mgmt

Jun 3, 2014, 10:39 AM [ in reply to Re: Are you a HS coach in South Carolina? ]

I'm sure Clemson's baseball staff has a list of requirements and priorities when scouting players. Perhaps none of yours met that criteria, or Jack felt early that they wouldn't be a good fit (or consider attending Clemson).

Typically CoC, Wofford, Presbyterian and Coastal Carolina are lesser baseball destinations than Clemson (while recognizing the outstanding job Monte Lee is doing in Charleston).

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Did any players to to USCe? If not, then good time mgmt

Jun 3, 2014, 12:48 PM

Yes, Weber Pike was one who did.

Again, what gives?

Screw Calford.

Re: Are you a HS coach in South Carolina?

Jun 3, 2014, 10:26 AM [ in reply to Are you a HS coach in South Carolina? ]

U have hit it square on!! this is HUGE part of the problem

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Obviously, you are not

Jun 3, 2014, 10:57 AM [ in reply to Are you a HS coach in South Carolina? ]

I too am a high school coach in SC and I worked coach Leggett's camps for 15 years. If I could hand-pick a coach for my sons to play for it would be Jack Leggett. He has a great relationship with the high school coaches of this state. He is a tremendous person and coach. I once called him to ask a question about something (I forget what), and had to leave him a voice mail. He returned my call the following morning, and during the course of the conversation he apologized to me four times for not calling me back sooner.

I would like to know how many people on here wanting coach fired have ever met him, or spent some time around him (besides watching him coach a game). I would bet your opinion might change if you did. I would also like to know how people on here would react if every time your job performance slipped a little there was a throng of people calling radio stations and posting on the internet their hopes of you getting fired.

I respect the right of those who want him fired to voice that opinion, I and do not believe it brings in to question your "fandom" or loyalty to the school. I also know that I am not going to change your mind, and you are not going to change mind. I just wanted to voice my opinion.

Re: Obviously, you are not

Jun 3, 2014, 11:04 AM

I agree with a lot of what you say absolut C U and I respect your opinion and your friendship and loyalty that you have to Jack, but it still doesn't change what I've seen happen to this team over the last five years

Jun 3, 2014, 9:57 AM

Coach, thanks for your commentary. I agree with your comments regarding Coach L and the quality of guy that he is and the integrity that he practices. He is great with the campers and inspiring when he demonstrates and addresses them.

Ken Hatfield was too. As much as I like Jack and as good a man as he seems to be, it doesn't seem like he can get the team to the next level and has indeed gone backwards.

Personally, I would like to see him go out next year with a hero's exit. He has done a lot for Clemson and deserves a lot of praise for maintaining Coach Wilhelm's direction, but it may be time to move on.

Jun 3, 2014, 10:08 AM

I appreciate the rational comment. His staying or leaving is not up to me to decide. I just get tired of the bashing of a good man. I know the man as well as the coach. Whether he stays or goes, I will support Clemson athletics and I will continue to respect Coach Leggett

Jun 3, 2014, 10:01 AM

Not trying to argue but does he deserve a chance to turn it around ? Yes. Well he got it point the wrong way to begin with. This was the turn around year and it was as bad or worse.

I'm not a big fire Jack guy but my concern is he has shown zero ability to improve it from last year to this or during the course of this year. That leads me to think what ever he is doing isnt working.

Maybe the team doesnt have the talent? But again that would be on Jack. Program needs something before it sinks even further based on its trend line

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good man? Sure, that's possible.

Jun 3, 2014, 10:09 AM

Good coach? Yeah back in the day. But his time is up. I'm not sure where you coach but, coming from someone who experienced the recruiting process, he's a class-A ####### (no pun intended). There are so many people, even ones I played ball with, that had to go to CofC or SC or Tennessee cause jack wouldn't give them the time of day. They're all doing acceptionally well now.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Good man? Sure, that's possible.

Jun 3, 2014, 10:14 AM

Don't know, he's about as arrogant as they come.

Ever met him?

Jun 3, 2014, 11:02 AM

The man is not arrogant. He's actually very humble. Steve Spurrier is arrogant, not Jack Leggett. But, I know him personally. You probably only know what you see on TV and read in the media.

Re: Good man? Sure, that's possible.

Jun 3, 2014, 10:24 AM [ in reply to Good man? Sure, that's possible. ]

I hope they play better than you spell. So,because he didn't recruit someone you know, he's a jack ###? They have recruited some of my guys in the past and one now. He may go there he might not. That's not up for me to decide. I wanted to date a girl in high school and she didn't give me the time if day. That didn't make her a bad person, maybe I should have been better looking! Lol. I eventually found a girl crazy enough to marry me and it worked out ok for both if us

I'm sorry my spelling doesn't meet your standards

Jun 3, 2014, 11:29 AM

I'm on my phone keyboard and there are also no spelling errors in my post.

But no, it's not "because he didn't recruit my friends". Those friends just happened to have all favored Clemson throughout the recruiting process, and 2 of the 3 were freshmen all-Americans. Jack is turning down big talent because of his ridiculous recruiting policies.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

dont apologize

Jun 3, 2014, 1:05 PM

if he has to bring up spelling or grammar on a message board then his argument doesnt have enough merit on its own. plus he misspelled at least two words in his response...i mean sense its now a part of validating his point of view.

Re: dont apologize

Jun 3, 2014, 1:14 PM

You mean since. Lol

Starting pitcher gets knocked around, go to the bullpen

Jun 3, 2014, 10:11 AM

Hitters stop hitting, dropped in order. Still struggling, they get subbed for and sit bench. If you cant get 3 outs in 9th to save game, you arent the closer anymore.

You are a coach, you know these things.

It isnt the people you fire that keep you up at night, it's the one's you DON'T.

Might be time for Jack to do something else. From your post he sounds like he will make quite the motivational speaker.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Actually if any of us performed a job like this

Jun 3, 2014, 10:22 AM

and everything went this far downhill we would be fired.

He needs to go, how good a guy he is is totally irrelevant, and the standard in big time college athletics is completely different from flipping burgers.

Charliescoach - At this point in time getting flamed

Jun 3, 2014, 10:34 AM

in here is a badge of honor. There are so few people acting on anything other than emotion (and even less with any baseball knowledge) it is ridiculous. Thanks for your post.

Re: Charliescoach - At this point in time getting flamed

Jun 3, 2014, 1:23 PM

agree 100%. amazing the post in here about how the high school coaches dont like coach until you actually get coaches to respond and call bs on it all. my son also went to his camp years ago. his first trip away from home. he did not want to leave. jack has plenty of things he needs to clean up but some of the total bs you read in here is just that. bs.

Jun 3, 2014, 10:34 AM

After this season with the whole team coming back form 2013 is why this should be JL last go around.Its only going to get worse until the Tigers are not even making the ACC tourney. I think now is the best time to part ways. It will take 2-3 yrs to get back either way. A great new hire and it could go faster.

Jun 3, 2014, 10:35 AM

SPOT ON! Charliescoach

The last four years wasn't enough for him to turn it around***

Jun 3, 2014, 10:48 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

i agree with pretty much everything. drad and he need to

Jun 3, 2014, 11:23 AM

look at the shortcomings on the field, they are there and then decide what it will take to turn it around. i don't think jack has lost touch with baseball as some would suggest, but as in football[i hate the hunh] there are some very strong opinions for and against "small ball". when it's working, fine, but when it struggles they will come out of the wood work and they have.

if the money isn't there, then is clemson best off moving in another direction or finishing jack's final two years[+?] hoping things change financially, in the classroom with juco admissions, with endowment supported scholarships, with amenities, with staff, with assts and on and on...

i honestly don't care who the coach is as long as Clemson University puts their best foot forward and honestly, they haven't when looking at many of the upper programs that clemson has struggled against recently.

calmer heads, lay out a plan and see what can be brought to bear.

jack might decide he's fought against "the haves" too long and is tired of running out a project in mid week games, who knows?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You graduated from Clemson but don't know

Jun 3, 2014, 12:02 PM

how to use paragraphs?

Jebus.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You graduated from Clemson but don't know

Jun 3, 2014, 12:36 PM

I cnat sepll etiher.

Re: You graduated from Clemson but don't know

Jun 3, 2014, 12:44 PM [ in reply to You graduated from Clemson but don't know ]

I have a bachelors degree, masters degree, and currently working on my plus 30. I think I know how to use paragraphs. I just choose to annoy people like you

Jun 3, 2014, 1:16 PM

Holy wall of text bat man.

null

TL/DR***

Jun 3, 2014, 1:30 PM

Replies: 56
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive