Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Good Morning from Syracuse!
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 42
| visibility 1

Good Morning from Syracuse!

Oct 3, 2013, 9:40 AM

I know I'll most likely take some flack bc there's been some jabs flying around the message boards. But, I just wanted to come by and say how much I, and the majority of our fans are looking forward to having a team of your current caliber come up to Syracuse.

To have a top-5, Heisman candidate lead team in our place has been somewhat of a rarity in the recent past. Bridgewater and Geno were one thing, but this is different.

It's exciting for us to be in a conference where this will be a regular occurrence. When Miami and VT, BC were in the Big East it was different, but since they left the cards had to fall just right for us to get a highly ranked BE team in the Dome.

Very excited for the game this Saturday, the cards may be stacked against us, and rightly so given your success, but I'd be lying if I told you I wasn't optimistic every time I walk up the Hill. Would I be a fan if I wasn't?

Looking forward to seeing however many of you come up to NY, win, lose or draw its going to be a great day regardless as we open up what is hopefully a longstanding relationship in the ACC.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Good Morning from Syracuse!

Oct 3, 2013, 9:47 AM

nice post. should be interesting as neither school has played in ages or plays many common opponents.

I remember s similar game at clemson when auburn came to town years ago with a heisman candidate who ultimately won it.

we got rolled 44-0 as I recall. but I remember the buzz and the anticipation. probably along the lines of what you have there

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 3, 2013, 9:55 AM

The Buzz up here is recognizable, it's no secret we've struggled with attendance during the down years. Thanks to Marrone our community is at least talking football again since the end of the Pasqualoni era.

Oct 3, 2013, 9:57 AM

coach P hasnt exactly done much anywhere. I did think they looked good against Michigan for the most part

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 3, 2013, 9:59 AM

We have some P loyalists up here, but for the most part were surprised by the UConn hire. He did some good things at 'Cuse, but I don't know where he fits anymore.

I do think he'd be a very good D Coord. though.

Mornin'

Oct 3, 2013, 9:52 AM

What's this about a hill?

Oh yeah, we've already got dook and weak forest. We need you guys to actually participate in football, somewhat.

Recond you can do that?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Mornin'

Oct 3, 2013, 9:57 AM

That's the goal brother. It's been a slow process just to build depth back up over the past four years. But, in the end we can put a good product on the field.

The ACC recognition and extra revenue that we get for being part of the conference should help significantly.

I hope you know most Tiger Fans haven't gotten over the 41-0

Oct 3, 2013, 10:25 AM

butt whippin you handed us. I'm hoping to make a real rivalry out of this series. I also hoping we can hold our end of this rivalry up this weekend.

We owe you guys an epic beatdown. What better way to facilitate a rivalry than to repay our debt. We need to hate each other.

You guys should play the toothless redneck car at every opportunity.

BTW, your 'lookalike,' guy is second to none. That's the most creative work of lookalikes I've ever seen.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I hope you know most Tiger Fans haven't gotten over the 41-0

Oct 3, 2013, 10:31 AM

Agreed, think we could have something here as our traditions aren't as far apart as some might think. Granted we're in two different places now.

But that game, was when we knew we had something special in McNabb. I'm sure you guys would like to even that score Saturday.

Haha, that lookalike guy moonlights on a couple of sites, he's got a gift.

It's always nice to have an active message board with opponents, some BIg East teams were nonexistent when it came to this stuff.

Re: Mornin'

Oct 3, 2013, 10:48 AM [ in reply to Mornin' ]

> What's this about a hill?
>
> Oh yeah, we've already got dook and weak forest. We
> need you guys to actually participate in football,
> somewhat.
>
> Recond you can do that?

The Hill?

That describes the University. The school sits on a big hill about 200' above downtown. The Dome is on "The Hill".

Any of you like collecting opponents fan stuff...walk through Marshall Street on "The Hill" a few hours prior. It is where Faegans, Varsity Pizza, Chipotle, etc...is along with the bars. Chucks is decent college bar to hangout for beer, TV and lunch. It is in an alley just north of Marshall street. Just ask a local if you can't find it.

Welcome to the acc and good luck to you

Oct 3, 2013, 10:00 AM

And please come more often here ..

Having said this, it would have been better for you to enter the ACC with an easier game such as wake or duke ..

I think you will throw a couple of punches in this game, but this is a deep Clemson team that is battle tested and very violent.
Clemson will take it down by 3 touchdowns and this game will be a measure for Clemsonto win on the road as we do at home when we are favored ..

Good luck again and welcome ACC brother

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson Is Coming" says Stephone Anthony (Class 2011)"
"Why NOT Clemson"
"Why Not Dabo"

Re: Welcome to the acc and good luck to you

Oct 3, 2013, 10:06 AM

Much appreciated, and we're looking forward to it.

It helps all of us to have a strong ACC candidate to get rid of this SEC is everything trend. I think this game can go a couple of ways, one of which is what you're describing.

Best of luck as well, gonna be a great Saturday!

Welcome

Oct 3, 2013, 10:09 AM

to the ACC!

I'm disappointed that I couldn't go up for the inaugural game but I'll catch one up there next go round. I'm sure you'll find the tiger fans that are headed that way are a pleasant and hospitable group. And be sure to catch a game in Death Valley, you won't be disappointed.

Btw, it wouldn't hurt my feelings for you guys to win the ACC Basketball title this year. I'm sure that ya'll are already a favorite for the ACC hockey championship (if we even have one).

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Welcome

Oct 3, 2013, 10:16 AM

Happy to be here!

If you ever do make the trek up, try to make it a long weekend. There's much more to Upstate than most think. If you ever do, Texan Mark's tailgate guide will give you some great ideas and info.

Also, fully plan on getting down to DV for a game, been to a lot of stadiums up and down the East Coast but haven't had the pleasure yet to see DV.

If you come up here I think you'll be surprised by the hospitality and environment. There's some great people here as I'm sure there are in Clemson as well.

As for SU Basketball, I think the ACC is now the best basketball conference in the country hands down. Very exciting.

Oct 3, 2013, 10:12 AM

Welcome Finwad and thanks for the classy post.
And its fun to have some smack talk flying around... that is what football and competition is all about.
Just know if you ever schedule a home and home with S. Carolina, you will have a nation of orange clad friends cheering along for you.

Oct 3, 2013, 10:18 AM

Haha, you know it. Nothin like a little competition.

And don't worry, Spurrier's got a handful up here too that wouldn't mind seeing him get stomped out.

What's a football game without smack talk? It's what folks

Oct 3, 2013, 10:14 AM

like to do, even if they're friends before and after the game.

There's been a lot of positive posts by Clemson folks heading your way, as well as useful info about the Cuse area posted by your fans.

Most Clemson people have a healthy respect for your team; we'd just prefer your ability to knock off some tough opponents to be somewhat lacking Saturday! (lol) But welcome to the ACC!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What's a football game without smack talk? It's what folks

Oct 3, 2013, 10:21 AM

Can't wait, gonna have to agree to disagree about Saturday though! Lol.

And you're right, there's a lot of respect coming from Syracuse to you guys, and many classy Clemson posters as well. But, without a little smack, how can we ever expect to have the who wears the real orange rivalry? :)

If nothing else, the accents will interest both camps. You

Oct 3, 2013, 10:44 AM

should make certain your cohorts watch a little Jeff Foxworthy before the Southerners invade your great city.

"Initiate"..."Man, mah wife et all thet Dinasore barbecue...Initiate all her dessert."

"Mayonnaise"..."Mayonnaise a lotta papul in this here town."

"Wijidiji"..."Youns dittint brang yer likker, wijidiji?"

"Armaggeddon"..."This heah Caryar Dome is hawt...Armaggeddon outa heah!"

And never fear the abilities nor the desires of us Southerners to lay it on thick, when we're up "Nawth." lol

LOL, where are you from, Hartins?***

Oct 3, 2013, 10:47 AM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Ah don't reckon Ah auto be talen youns them kinda thangs...

Oct 3, 2013, 10:53 AM

Youns mot thank Imma sum kinda halebally or sumpin lak thet....lol

Re: If nothing else, the accents will interest both camps. You

Oct 3, 2013, 10:58 AM [ in reply to If nothing else, the accents will interest both camps. You ]

LOL, Wijidiji is one of my personal favorites. You might be surprised by how rural it can get up here, just outside Syracuse is a lotta open land.

True story....Some years ago on a trip to visit friends in

Oct 3, 2013, 11:01 AM

Burlington, Vermont, I stopped for breakfast off the NY Thruway.

Not seeing grits on the menu, I asked the waitress, "Don't yall serve grits in here?"

She replied, "Yes...We serve anybody!"

Ya Grit...***

Oct 3, 2013, 11:14 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Very true!

Oct 3, 2013, 11:58 AM [ in reply to Re: What's a football game without smack talk? It's what folks ]

As I like to say, it wouldn't be nearly as much fun if we all liked the same team. Welcome to the ACC buddy.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I grew up with some people from that area because my dad

Oct 3, 2013, 10:44 AM

was a manager at a GE plant that use to be in the Charleston area. Good people. They all fell in love with the south. Most people don't know or realize that New York is more than NYC and that upstate and rural NY is a different world than NYC.

A good friend of mine at Clemson was from Rochester. He came to Clemson to play football and said he'd never move farther north than Virginia. He'd had enough snow for one lifetime.

Had good friends at CU, also, from Rochester and Long

Oct 3, 2013, 10:57 AM

Island. I was kind of like E.F. Hutton to them: every time I opened my mouth, they listened...then laughed! (lol)

They were pretty good, ole boys...still are...except it's amazing how old those farts have gotten!

Funny you mentioned that because I had some friends from

Oct 3, 2013, 6:06 PM

Long Island that were great guys. Hard core partiers. And we had plenty of kids from Jersey. I think that exodus cranked up after our championship in '81.

One of the sexiest girls I've ever known was in my freshman class (84) from Jersey. Natural blond hair with incredibly dark eyes and olive skin. Her family was Italian and good god she was built. We were good friends and I had it bad for her. She was absolutely gorgeous, but was in love with her high school sweet heart and despite him going to Rutgers they never broke up and after graduation she moved back and married him. Arrrggghhhhhhhhhhhh!

Good morning!

Oct 3, 2013, 10:45 AM

Welcome to the ACC! I have to say, I hope you don't win Saturday, but wish you luck in your remaining games. Hope you make it to the Valley next year to experience our unique traditions on game day.

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Road Trip Time!!

Oct 3, 2013, 11:00 AM

We're really looking forward to this road trip. I have a high school buddy in Rochester that we are staying with. He and his wife are both Clemson grads and they connected with another Clemson couple in the area, so we are all going to the game together. Exploring Syracuse before the game should be a blast. We welcome "Cuse" to the ACC and look forward to the payback for the last time we played.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Road Trip Time!!

Oct 3, 2013, 11:02 AM

That's awesome. I went to college in Rochester and played some D3 ball at St. John Fisher, Roch is another tremendous Upstate city.

What's on your docket for exploring Syracuse?

Re: Road Trip Time!!

Oct 3, 2013, 1:28 PM

There's a guy in Rochester, a friend of my buddy that knows Syracuse well and he's going to be our guide. Dino BBQ is on the list, other than that, I don't know. We'll probably find that BIG tailgate in Fine lot.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Good morning!

Oct 3, 2013, 11:01 AM [ in reply to Good morning! ]

Thank you and I plan on it!

What are some of your traditions. I know of the $2 bills and obviously Howard's Rock, but what else?

The entire atmosphere is something to experience

Oct 3, 2013, 11:27 AM

We have the best tailgating: http://thedailysouth.southernliving.com/2013/10/02/clemson-wins-its-second-title-as-the-souths-best-tailgate/. I guarantee you, if you walk through the lots you will experience the hospitality of many Clemson fans inviting you to join them.

Also, running down the hill after rubbing Howard's Rock, of course, along with storming the field and singing the Alma Mater after every home game, Tiger Walk, noise, etc...

You will have to experience it for yourself. It's hard to explain, but everyone will tell you, "There's something in those hills."

--Henry David Thoreau

Oct 3, 2013, 11:45 AM [ in reply to Re: Good morning! ]

Clemson really has a terrific venue for tailgating and nearly everybody does it. We have a beautiful, green campus. Everyone is invited to "meet at the paw" after the game, where fans walk onto the field to meet players, get autographs etc. It also gives you the opportunity to walk up the hill and rub the rock.

The Esso club (located about 1/4 mile north of the stadium) is an iconic Clemson bar to checkout before and after the game. The "downtown" area is a short walk that has a lot of bars, shops and places to eat.

The Team walks through the crowd (on west side of stadium) about 2 hours before kickoff, called the "tiger walk".

Our tiger mascot does pushups after each score, one for every point on the board (so it exponential, kinda) so he does 7 then 14 then 21, etc.

Oct 3, 2013, 1:29 PM [ in reply to Re: Good morning! ]

Bringing some $2 bills with me all stamped and ready to go.

Just wondering; have u ever seen "The Express"; great movie.***

Oct 3, 2013, 11:40 AM

Oct 3, 2013, 11:48 AM

Very Nice!
& good luck to you guys...even though of course i expect my Tigers to win. I expect a good game that'll be fun to watch!

Y'all obviously have plenty of class-fans as well so I hope most of you are able to see through the normal smack-talk for what it is, good fans roll with it & dish it out in the name of fun & team-pride :)
no hard feelings taken or givin...it's FOOTBALL! Let's watch, enjoy, & have some fun!

GO TIGERS!

Awesome. All fans should be like you.

Oct 3, 2013, 12:06 PM

Many of us, me included, took a trip to Texas A&M a few years back and were treated so well by their fans that some of us, including me, pull for them to this day! This despite getting killed on Saturday!

I think it's important for all of us to step back and welcome opposing fans who feel the same way about their teams as we do about ours. At the end of the day it's all in good fun.

Welcome to the ACC! Represent us well (except this Saturday!) and down with the SEC!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Awesome. All fans should be like you.

Oct 3, 2013, 6:10 PM

I heard the same thing about Texas A&M. I heard it was a pleasure to go to College Station and that the people were great.

Re: Awesome. All fans should be like you.

Oct 3, 2013, 6:10 PM

p.s. that woulda been a helluva home & home the past two years

paging Otto.....

Oct 3, 2013, 6:18 PM

On the way.....

Careful... he's packin'.***

Oct 3, 2013, 6:35 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 42
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic