Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Going to Gulf Shores / Fort Morgan area for Spring Break
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 818

Going to Gulf Shores / Fort Morgan area for Spring Break

Feb 15, 2021, 3:50 PM

is Girl's Gone Wild still a thing?

You guys got any suggestions about what to do down there other than sit on the beach, eat a bag of dicks, go fuck myself, and get terribly drunk?

We have not ventured to the Gulf Coast beaches before and Mom wanted to take everyone while she still can.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe a good chance to do one of those cool Florida tourist

Feb 15, 2021, 3:53 PM

activities like shark wrestling. I know coating yourself in chum and swimming out several thousand yards sounds like work, but there's no other way to lure the sharks in, and it does come off after you've been in the water a while.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Is the "h" silent?***

Feb 15, 2021, 3:55 PM

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

THERE IS NO 'H' IN FLORIDA.

Feb 15, 2021, 4:06 PM

Well...the spelling, anyway. You can definitely score some H in Florida though, if you're still thinking about cool tourist activities, that is.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mullet Toss

Feb 15, 2021, 3:55 PM

Flora-Bama

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-beeksteak-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That was the first thing I looked up, gotta get there***

Feb 15, 2021, 3:56 PM

Yup, I dig Gulf Shores

Feb 15, 2021, 4:02 PM

Never went there until we got to TN, but it's 7.5 hours to there vs 10 hours to Litchfield, so it won out.

Reminds me of Myrtle beach without the meth, tattoo shops, bikers, and po white trash. Fun little beach town. Some good restaurants....Fort Morgan is cool to see, and there's a ferry that takes you and your car from Fort Morgan to Dauphin Island that's worth the round trip. For the kids there's an amusement park on the outskirts of town, and some other stuff like zip lines and putt putt courses near orange beach.

The Hangout is a neat place to grab lunch as well and, well, hang out.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go to Cape San Blas instead, rent golf cart, drive all your

Feb 15, 2021, 4:12 PM

#### on to the beach in golf cart, and enjoy. Hit up Skully's for cheap AF low country boil with huge shrimps served in KFC buckets.

Granted, I have not been to any of the beaches west of Pensacola, but it is a LONG ### drive down there.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

9 Bedroom beachfront houses are few and far between

Feb 15, 2021, 5:10 PM

and Fort Morgan was much more affordable comparatively. We looked at Cape San Blas, but we couldn't find the right setup for all of us. In fact, that was my first suggestion. Sister-In-Law suggested Destin. That is when I said let's try Gulf Shores.

Come to IOP with the rest of everyone else from NC

Feb 15, 2021, 5:23 PM

I'll buy you a stale Natty draft from the dingy

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You could pound sand***

Feb 15, 2021, 4:13 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hopefully you'll be there a different week than most

Feb 15, 2021, 4:22 PM

college spring breaks...it gets drunk redneck stupid that week. If you ain't gotta place yet, stay out on Fort Morgan, it's out of the fray. Besides drunkin and dikeatin, go fishin'. Lot of fishing guides down there, you can go inshore(reds, specks) or offshore(snapper, grouper, mahi). Got chirruns? Take'em to Lulu's, it's Jimmy Buffet's sista's place and is good eats for the whole fam. Rent kayaks, paddleboards, and tool around or jetski's if you wanna pizzoff boaters. There's go karts, waterslides, and shid, too, if they ain't still 'rona closed.

The place we found is more Fort Morgan. It is huge

Feb 15, 2021, 5:12 PM

and beachfront and relatively isolated so we can be loud and obnoxious and not make too many people mad. We get redneck drunk and loud on the beach, but we keep it close.

Mom wanted isolated so she can wake up and sit on the porch and drink coffee and then watch the kids play from the house.

Eat at tacky Jacks out that way.

Feb 15, 2021, 5:20 PM

it faces Mobile bay and I thought it was pretty cool eating on the deck and watching the monster tankers navigate to the oil platforms. Unless you’re on the bay side, it’s a hike to get from the main drag to the gulf-front houses on fort Morgan so the more you can consolidate logistics the better.

Get yet groceries at Rouses market. Great little store with lots of regional items....wish we had them up here. In that same area the shrimp basket is a good place to eat and kid friendly, and there’s a legit New Orleans style beignet place next to rouses.

There used to be a great place that sold dirt cheap low country boils next to the bridge but it got flooded in the hurricane in the fall. I’m not sure what you should expect by spring but the whole area took a pretty good hit when that storm came through last october.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If the fam likes oysters, hop on the ferry over to

Feb 15, 2021, 5:59 PM [ in reply to The place we found is more Fort Morgan. It is huge ]

Dauphin Island and ride into Bayou La Batre and grab a sack. Now, err'body and their Mama swears Murder Point Oysters are the galdern best evah, and they ARE good. Just as good though, are Portersville Bay Oysters and less pricey (cuz less marketing). Call'em up (251) 490-7947 and ride out to their farm at the mouth of, you guessed it...Portersville Bay. Nice folks, good ersters.

That area is fully equipped for

Feb 15, 2021, 4:40 PM

hookers and cocaine. Do those.

Re: Going to Gulf Shores / Fort Morgan area for Spring Break

Feb 16, 2021, 3:18 PM

Both are a lot of fun. We grew up always going to Gulf Shores. Gulf beaches are generally great and gulf shores is a nice little town. What types of things do you like to do at the beach?

Be warned, parts of Fort Morgan are isolated from the rest of the area. You may be 20 minutes from the nearest store, gas, etc. The trade off is that you are right on the beach and deal with very little traffic. I enjoy that but keep it in mind when it comes to groceries, eating out, etc. Sassy Bass is the only restaurant I know of down that way. It is good but I wouldn't want to eat there every meal.

I know Gulf Shores proper got very strict with alcohol on the beach during spring break a few years ago. They apparently tried to keep PCB's party atmosphere from moving up there. They may have loosened up and I don't recall that extending to Fort Morgan.

The Hangout is pretty cool. I enjoy the Flora-Bama more but it is as far away from Fort Morgan as you can get. It's still worth a trip. The Gulf is a neat eating spot that is over by Flora-Bama. Orange Beach also has Fisher's Upstairs if you are looking for a nice dinner date. I've never been but it is consistently rated one of the best spots in the state.

It's far from luxury, but beer and oysters at Sea n' Suds is fun. Wintzell's is a Mobile-based oyster place that has good happy hour specials but has gone downhill as they have franchised. You will hear people rave about Original Oyster House and Lulus. They are both good but fairly standard beach tourist fare.

Blalock's seafood market has never steered me wrong. Great seafood and other items. I'll second the Rouse's recommendation.

I've never been to the actual fort at Fort Morgan but some people might enjoy that. Gulf state park has a lot of activities (hiking, biking, zip lines) but I don't really enjoy doing those things when I'm at the beach. Go-Karts at The Track is fun for kids. They also have mini-golf and beachy tourist traps like that. Waterville is your standard beach water park if you're into that. I'm not a golfer but there are supposed to be some good courses near there.

Even if you get tired of seafood, be sure to take one day to go to Lee's Inlet Kitchen. It's 11 hours away so bring plenty of coffee for the drive back.

Ctrl+C

Feb 16, 2021, 3:29 PM

Opens Google Docs
Ctrl+V

Thanks, this is what I need. At the beach we usually go to the beach, sit on the beach, and drink on the beach. We are very very laid back. I might try to take the little lady out for a night, but that means convincing my brothers to watch my kids.

Seriously though, appreciate the recommendations.

Re: Ctrl+C

Feb 16, 2021, 4:04 PM

No problem. Fort Morgan is great for chilling. Glad to help.

Some good fishing down there. Caught this Red near PCB

Feb 16, 2021, 3:49 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dude, nice capri pants. Also, pro tip, that is not red,

Feb 16, 2021, 3:50 PM

the color or the mythical succubus that lives with CRulez.

you catch that on the beach?

Feb 16, 2021, 4:02 PM [ in reply to Some good fishing down there. Caught this Red near PCB ]

siiiiiiiiiiiick brah

for srs...that's pretty tight

and Greenr cobia start running through the panhandle in mid to late march. would definitely be worth the cost of a charter if you could land a couple of em.

I rented a kayak and was off an island in a little bay.

Feb 16, 2021, 4:09 PM

Used a sand flea as bait. Of course I had a tiny little brim rod w 4 pound test so took me about 20 min to get him in.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 22
| visibility 818
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic