Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Going to Europe
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1

Going to Europe

Jun 26, 2018, 3:08 PM

Six thousand men boarded the Mount Vernon troop ship in New York, bound for the European Theater of Operations, better known by the acronym, ETO. The Mount Vernon was the former Washington, a luxury liner that plied the sea lanes between the United States and Europe before WW2. The speed of the Mount Vernon was in excess of the speed of the German U-Boats so, rather going in a convoy, we went alone, zig-zagging and zag-zigging our way across the Atlantic.

Many of us aboard the Mount Vernon wondered if there was a U-Boat lurking in our lane of traffic and when we zigged or zagged, they had a torpedo aboard with Mount Vernon written on it. Our scheduled travel time from New York to Liverpool, England, was five days but we had to add two more days to our travel time. A short time before we were to enter the north end of the Irish Sea, our ship received word there was a pack of German U-Boats lurking in that area. So, we turned around and went back out in the Atlantivc to zig and zag for two more days while the Air Force and Navy eliminated the threat of a U-Boat attack.

Receiving the all-clear signal, we made our entrance to the Irish Sea headed for Bootle, a part of the massive Liverpool port complex. Apparently, most of the troop ships and supply ships arriving from the United States, used the Liverpool port and troops and supply ships going to the continent used the spouthern ports, Southampton being the primary port.

Sailing along on the smooth Irish Sea on a halmy day, most of our compamy mates were on the deck enjoyng the calm waters. We thought the threat of a U-Boat in this area was practically nil, but then a frightening thing occurred. Off on our starboard side, a periscope began to appear. There was no way we landlubbers knew if it was friend or foe. Needless to say, there was some excitement (think being scared). Fortunately, the ship Captain's voice came over the speakers, "Now hear this ! Now hear this ! The submarine you see off our starboard is one of ours". I can assure you those were some comforting words.

It was not long before we were docking at Bootle. Seeing land again and knowing we had avoided the German U-Boats, it was now time for our anxiety meter to calm down. Looking down from the deck of the Mount Vernon, it looked like every train in England was awaiting dockside for our arrival. I don't know were all of the men were going but most of the units were going to the staging areas in southern England before going on to the continent. The 3125th. Signal Service Company went to a camp at Barton Stacey, a small village about 25 miles north of Southampton.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Going to Europe

Jun 26, 2018, 3:51 PM

After reading your stories Joe, it seems to me that during wartime, one can seldom let his guard down. The stress would be difficult to handle at times I would guess.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 26, 2018, 6:40 PM

Have you written this all on one document? You could really sell a book of short stories. I've been considering digging through your old post and pasting them in a word document.

Do you have all of them online somewhere public?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 26, 2018, 6:58 PM

We went to Paris and the Normandy region last year. Definitely go if you have a chance. I can’t imagine how they made it up the beaches or climbed the cliff at Pont du Hoc. The American cemetery is awesome. The museum in Caen is also very good.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 26, 2018, 7:06 PM [ in reply to Re: Going to Europe ]

I have many, many WW2 and Korean War stories. Many with different versions of the same story. The above is basically a short version of a longer story. In addition, I have stories of my childhood and then stories from events that have occurred during my life time. I did not keep a diary so all of my stories are from memory. As most of us are aware, sometimes our memories fail us. Also, I've found that some times a word or scene can trigger a memory so I have to edit a previous story. I try to stick with the facts because I want an honest account of an event. Like most veterans I know, there are some stories that will never be told and there are some I find impossible to describe. Those will go with me to my grave.

I would encourage all of you to maintain a diary because in your later years your children and grandchildren will ask you what was life like when you were younger. It probably does not appear to be important to you at the moment, but when you find you can no longer climb mountains or run marathons, your thoughts will quickly turn to memories of those days when you could.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 27, 2018, 9:29 AM

As a historian I second Joe's comments! The generation he represents is quickly leaving us. It is critical Tiger fans sit down and talk to older Americans who lived through the Great Depression and World War II while we have their memories to record. My Mother is ninety-five years young, but those of her generation in my immediate family have all died. How I wish today I had asked specific questions to my great Grandmother who was born February 2, 1870 and lived until her 100th year in 1969!

Young persons who post herein need to recognize historians will read and study Facebook and all other forms of social media, as well as your journals, to determine what your lives really represented in American society early in this century. Think about what and why you write. Today I turn Sixty-five and am taking time to reflect upon what matters. Like Joe I realize the memories shared are so important. Learn to take nothing for granted and to not be afraid to ask sincere questions. Once the generations before you pass it is to late to learn what you later recognize has become important to know, especially for your children!

Go Tigers!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 26, 2018, 11:00 PM

Love your stories Mr. C. Thanks for taking the time to Post.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 27, 2018, 9:38 AM

Mr. Joe21, it would be nice if you could take your stories to a publisher and have a book made. It would be a wonderful gift for your children, grands, etc.

Message was edited by: vance1059®

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 27, 2018, 11:43 AM

Thanks Joe!
You were on the USS Mount Vernon AP-22, a Troop Transport, the 4th USN ship to carry the name.

My older brother was on the (5th) USS Mount Vernon LSD-39, an Anchorage Class (Dock Landing Ship).
This was the last Navy ship to be called the Mount Vernon.

The 1st was in 1846. It was a metal side wheeler Gun Boat. This ship was seized in 1846 from the Mexican Navy and later renamed the USS Mount Washington.

The 2nd Mount Vernon was a Steamer (1859) purchased by the US Navy in 1861, and sold in 1865.

The 3rd Mount Vernon was built by Germany in 1906 and named Kronprinzesin Cecilie. It was commandeered and commissioned by the U.S. Navy for use as a troop transport as USS Mount Vernon in 1917, and decommissioned in 1919.

The last Mount Vernon (my brothers old ship) was sunk by a P3 Orion as part of a Navy training program in 2005. It had been decommissioned in 2003.

My brother used to say that if it wasn't for the Marines the Navy would have nobody to drive around.

I served in the USAF and have always had an interest in Naval Ship History.

Jun 27, 2018, 2:14 PM

I have enjoyed researching the ships I was on during WW2 and the Korean War. To Europe on the Mount Vernon. From England to France on the Marine Wolf and back to the United States after WW2 on the Santa Isabel. The Santa Isabel was a relatively small ship. We had storms and rough seas coming home on the Santa Isabel. I, along with most of those aboard, got sea sick as soon as we left Le Havre and out in the English channel. During one 24 hour period we went less than 100 miles. The Atlantic was so rough we could not go on deck. Had to hold on to some fixed object to keep from falling down. With all the sea sickness and no access to much fresh air, one can imagine the awful smell we had to endure. The ship would rock up and down from bow to stern and then from side to side. The propellers would come out of the water and the ship would shudder as if it were breaking apart.From Le Havre to New York took us 15 days. WE referred to the Santa Isabel as a former banana boat.

During the Korean War, I went by air to Japan, and then by ship to Inchon but don't remember the name of the troop ship. The shuttle boat from Sasebo, Japan to Pusan (now Busan), South Korea, was operated by the Japanese. I don't recall the name but we referred to it as the "Stinky Maru". Returning home from Korea in September, 1951, I boarded the troop ship General Pope in Sasebo, Japan. The entire trip across the Pacific was smooth, just the opposite of what we endured on the Santa Isabel in the Atlantic.

Jun 27, 2018, 4:51 PM

Excellent, thanks for sharing!

Mr. Joe, your memory is absolutely amazing.

Jun 27, 2018, 5:11 PM

Thank you for gracing us with with your stories. As previous posters stated, you should write a book. I'd stand in line to buy one.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Replies: 11
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic