Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Give me a reason not to hit the "I want one" button, Junge.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 355

Give me a reason not to hit the "I want one" button, Junge.

Dec 31, 2013, 9:46 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Because Shuns are overpriced pieces of shiz

Dec 31, 2013, 9:48 AM

nah, I want juan. GET THEM!

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

19She will use it to kill you***

Dec 31, 2013, 9:48 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

These are only 5.5" and 6.5". If murdering, would probably

Dec 31, 2013, 9:51 AM

choose something different from the block. There's a 10" Shun chef's knife in there that I stabbed myself with in the first 90 seconds of use. Would leave far less doubt about the results of your murdering attempt.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's really not smart to use unique items as a murder weapon***

Dec 31, 2013, 9:50 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Because it won't match the rest of the knives in your set?

Dec 31, 2013, 9:55 AM

If you're OCD like I am, this matters.

And I'd prefer to fondle the handles before I buy kitchen knives. I've had some I love, some not so much.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg2006_majors_champ.jpg2008_nascar_champ.gif2015_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When we drink, we get drunk.
When we get drunk, we fall asleep.
When we fall asleep, we commit no sin.
When we commit no sin, we go to heaven.
So, let's all get drunk, and go to heaven!

Ah, but they'll match the 10" chef's knife.

Dec 31, 2013, 9:58 AM

The rest of the stuff is Henckels of varying quality, mostly 1-Twin stuff (cuz I'm a poor).

I'm a Wusthof Classic guy, myself

Dec 31, 2013, 10:02 AM

The only odd-ball I have is the ceramic my dad brought back from Japan for me before the ceramic blades really made any market headway here in the states. That thing is awesome.

And I have Victorinox steak knives at the recommendation of the knife shop owner. Good knives. Dishwasherable and relatively inexpensive.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg2006_majors_champ.jpg2008_nascar_champ.gif2015_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's a distinctly different feel between Japanese and

Dec 31, 2013, 10:05 AM

German steel. The German stuff is much thicker and heftier, and you can feel the weight of a big chef's knife actually doing some of the slicing work for you. The only piece of Jap steel I have, the Shun 10", is about half the thickness (or less), so cutting feels more precise, and very different--takes some getting used to. Would rather use German steel to cut up a tenderloin or a pork butt, for example.

A buddy of mine has the Shun Ken Onion Chef's knife and

Dec 31, 2013, 10:07 AM

maybe a few others. They make my ####### hard when I use them. AMAZEBALLS!

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I use my big chef's knife for rough chopping

Dec 31, 2013, 10:13 AM [ in reply to There's a distinctly different feel between Japanese and ]

I have a 6-inch santoku with a much thinner blade that I use for finer work or the ceramic. It was the heft of the big chef's knife that drew me to the Wusthofs. Even the heavier Henkels I tried seemed too light.

I still use a old German set that my dad got 40.............

Dec 31, 2013, 10:47 AM [ in reply to There's a distinctly different feel between Japanese and ]

years ago when we lives there.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_nascar_champ.gifringofhonor-celti_tiger-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, they appear to be dented.***

Dec 31, 2013, 9:55 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Check your price here 1st

Dec 31, 2013, 9:58 AM

http://www2.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_store.html?usrsearch=Shun

I'm slowly replacing the Boker set we got as a wedding present with these as they go on sale.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

$295 for the two knives on that site.

Dec 31, 2013, 10:02 AM

Woot has them for $179, plus a Shun cutting board (don't care about that, but whatever).

Yeah you have to watch for sales

Dec 31, 2013, 10:07 AM

Woot almost always has a better price - I say go for it if you like the handle style - I like the curved ones better

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

Funny, TXTF likes the curved ones better too.

Dec 31, 2013, 10:10 AM

Small world.

Easy.

Dec 31, 2013, 9:59 AM

It won't do what a good machete will do for one fifth the price. You can't split a skull or sever a limb with one swing, so personally, I would IMMEDIATELY rule those out.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

handles look kindof wimpy.***

Dec 31, 2013, 10:30 AM

Wasn't a believer until

Dec 31, 2013, 1:18 PM

FIL got me one for Christmas this year! #favoritesoninlaw

Replies: 19
| visibility 355
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic