Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Ghost Town in the Sky
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 931

Ghost Town in the Sky

Jan 23, 2021, 12:24 PM

Pretty sad to see these pics. Lotta good childhood memories with my grandparents at this place.

https://www.loveexploring.com/gallerylist/91788/inside-the-eerie-abandoned-theme-park-full-of-secrets

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That place was awesome***

Jan 23, 2021, 12:41 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Never got to go

Jan 23, 2021, 12:43 PM

Dad refused to pay admission for anything in the mountains when he could take us hiking for free.

One year right after my cousin got her driver license, we said we were going to hiking at Moses Cone Park and went to Tweetsie Railroad instead. I was disappointed and never challenged dad on the no amusement park policy again. Ghost Town was probably a lot cooler than Tweetsie.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
Isaac Asimov

Daaaang, now that’s frugal.

Jan 23, 2021, 12:46 PM

My grandparents were definitely on the lower income side of blue collar, but the pulled off an annual weekend trip for us grandkids to Maggie Valley. Always stayed in one of those little motels arranged in a semi-circle with the pool out front. We’d look for the “vacancy” sign. Free phone and cable on the sign was a plus.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My very first job was at

Jan 23, 2021, 7:49 PM

Joeys Pancake House in Maggie. Slammed every single freaking day.

I am sure many of you have eaten at that spot. Joey was the meanest old man, but he paid well and kicked us in the aas when needed. He would literally kick your leg if you were close to him and messed up.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The gunfights while eating

Jan 23, 2021, 12:44 PM

Greasy pizza!!! Sign me up baby!! So many good memories.

It was so close to our house, but we felt like we were on a legit trip. Ha ha

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If you like gunfights while eating greasy pizza, surely

Jan 26, 2021, 9:44 AM

there's a dozen places in Detroit where you could get the same experience.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

Re: If you like gunfights while eating greasy pizza, surely

Jan 26, 2021, 11:04 AM

Didn’t that place have the crooked house that was

Jan 23, 2021, 12:49 PM

Full of optical illusion?

Seems like that was somewhere between Boone and

Jan 23, 2021, 12:52 PM

Banner Elk. But I might be making that up. What is a banner elk, anyway?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, I think it was a stand alone attraction

Jan 23, 2021, 1:04 PM

The town got its name from the phrase “Banner’s Elk,” in reference to it being the location where the last elk in the region gave its life to the dining table and its hide to a worthy cause.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
Isaac Asimov

Mystery Hill, as you're heading into Blowing Rock from the

Jan 26, 2021, 8:16 AM [ in reply to Didn’t that place have the crooked house that was ]

flatlands, right around where Appalachian Ski Mountain is.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Went there a few times and also saw the ....

Jan 23, 2021, 12:52 PM

Unto These Hills drama thing.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_nascar_champ.gifringofhonor-celti_tiger-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ohhhh yeah I remember that my parents took me to that

Jan 23, 2021, 12:53 PM

When I was like 7, and they thought it was super-moving and great and I was like “TL;DW”

Always jealous cause my sister made it into a ghost town ad

Jan 23, 2021, 6:10 PM

she's the idiot girl dancing in the bottom left of the screen near the beginning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYgWcABM4fc

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You’re related to a celebrity!***

Jan 23, 2021, 6:13 PM

I've been riding her coattails ever since***

Jan 23, 2021, 6:16 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: At first I thought I read this.......

Jan 23, 2021, 6:15 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmpvpypXKf0

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Did it every really stand a chance against this joint?

Jan 23, 2021, 7:42 PM

https://santaslandnc.net/

I am not sure why I never made it there. Been to Tweetsie a few times though.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's still there.

Jan 26, 2021, 8:20 AM

Most of the time we head to Maryville for shows, we take the long and winding road for scenic purposes and come in on that side of Cherokee. Every time we pass Santa's Land it's open and there are like 8 cars in the parking lot. Not sure how they stay in business there, unless the Cherokee tribe members are walking to it on a regular basis.

I actually went twice in my youth.

Jan 26, 2021, 8:31 AM

I've joked about stopping in the saw admission was not $10.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

my family hit all those Smoky Mtn vacay spots

Jan 23, 2021, 8:06 PM

Maggie Valley, Gatlinburg, Chattanooga (Rock City!!!), Ruby Falls, Fontana/Cherokee, The Lost Sea, etc.

When you grow up in the Lowcountry, mountains were THE family vacation destinations. Mountains - heck, big hills - were amazing to see when you are a born flatlander. We could hit the beach (HHI, Edisto, Chas) most any day we wanted, routine, so we never spent vacation time there. My family oddity - we NEVER went to Myrtle Beach. Why drive hours to see the same water you could see every day. I never went to Myrtle Beach myself until I was probably 25, and that was to do a work project at the airport there. I feel no loss or regret from that either.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our family hit every tourist trap attraction in both North

Jan 26, 2021, 8:26 AM

and South Carolina when I was growing up...beach, mountain, and flatlands. Wife and I decided a few years back to circumnavigate Florida for vacation and specifically chased down every old school tourist trap we could find. That's a part of Americana that is disappearing and attractions are becoming expensive corporate ventures as development sweeps across the country. I really want to do the same kind of trip on Route 66 some day before that's all gone.

Last time we drove to Telluride (well, time before last,

Jan 26, 2021, 8:36 AM

since last year we only made it to OKC before CO gov shut down ski areas with a singular tweet), we drove out the southern route to NM and then northward. It was really cool at many points to be running parallel to old Rte 66 and see the actual two-lane running right beside the interstate with a bunch of weeds growing up through it and thinking about the trips people must have taken on it.

Lots of cool motels from that era that are in the same vicinity are seeming to be re-opened by people bringing back the feel of the era and they have a really cool 50's art-deco or 60's space-race vibe. Probably my favorite tourist attraction we hit along that route was the Cadillac ranch in Amarillo....it was fantastic.

Parents took us there a couple times as kids, and I took

Jan 25, 2021, 7:23 PM

my wife and child there once in the early 90's.

Fun fact, there used to be a couple of those old style locomotives abandoned in the backwoods where I grew up, when I was just old enough to go woods exploring. They later disappeared, and I always heard they went to either Ghost Town in the Sky, or Tweetsie Railroad.

Just saw this thread... yeah, went there a couple times as a

Jan 25, 2021, 7:38 PM

kid, maybe 6-8 years old, so early 60s. I have some pictures somewhere. Seemed like a magical place at the time... may as well have been Disneyland for a poor kid from Greenville.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A drunk will run a STOP sign, but a stoner will wait for it to turn green.

Went there once on a trip to Maggie Valley

Jan 26, 2021, 8:19 AM

Got caught in a lightening storm on the way back down the chair lift.

People in the trolly were pointing at us.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

Re: Went there once on a trip to Maggie Valley

Jan 26, 2021, 8:29 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Myi1bABePlQ

I must have went there around 1990ish.....I remember the chairlift and a shootout, not much more.

Replies: 27
| visibility 931
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic