Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
We're 11th in ESPN and 9th in 247 recruiting
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 1

We're 11th in ESPN and 9th in 247 recruiting

Jul 14, 2018, 8:04 AM

WE have 1 five star, 5 four star and 11 3 star recruits in 247 and we have one that isn't rated. South Carolina is 14th and they have 1 five star, five 4 star and 10 three star recruits.

I know we can't complain about our recruiting, but it does seem to be an off year considering we are coming off of our third consecutive playoff and had the national championship just a year and half ago and runner-up the year before that.

I understand that we were loaded at some positions and that may have scared some of our prospects away, but that doesn't seem to be the case with Georgia, Alabama, etc. I just really didn't see this dip coming as all the articles about how our recruiting process is like a well oiled machine with Thad Turnipseed and the social media methods we use etc. etc.

I don't expect to be number one in recruiting every year or any year, but we may be looking at a finish outside the top-15 or 20 and that would be astonishing if it happens this particular year.

What are some of our biggest targets remaining and who are we likely to get? I'm talking four or five star.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Get yourself some of these dude

Jul 14, 2018, 8:10 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We're 11th in ESPN and 9th in 247 recruiting

Jul 14, 2018, 8:16 AM

https://www.tigernet.com/story/football/Clemson-commit-to-those-who-worry-about-star-rankings-Sit-back-and-relax-17011

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Yes, I saw thatwhen it came out. Still worried.***

Jul 14, 2018, 8:38 AM

Re: Yes, I saw thatwhen it came out. Still worried.***

Jul 14, 2018, 8:58 AM

Yeah, know what you mean. We’ve definitely missed on some we really wanted but that happens every year, right. But then you read we’re having to turn away 4 and 5 stars that want to come here and wonder where are the ones we’re turning away?

Since you posted, I was looking for quozzel’s post last week I think and it was a great breakdown on our recruiting and where we were at etc. anyway, my point is then you read the numbers breakdown of what teams have done and how many blue chip player ratios you need etc and then get nervous all over again.

Long winded way of agreeing with you that it just appears to be something off. Just got to trust that it isn’t and it’s still early... and the coaches know more than we do.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Stunning..Based on Recruit’s Star numbers shown above..Tigs & Birds about tied!

Jul 14, 2018, 9:25 AM

Yep, i am very disappointed & amazed too in that Bama signs majority of 5 stars regularly while Dawgs are getting their unfair share too.

Bama coaches know a 5 star is gonna produce much more than a 3-Star normally and unreal fact is that they get 4-5 Star Olinemen so often whereas Clemson mainly gets 3 Star Olinemen.

What can we do, but I remember Danny didn’t recruit well after the 1981 Natty since many players thought we were loaded and thought the competition was going to be against their playing up front & thus went elsewhere.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It doesn't elp us when Georgia is doing very well on

Jul 14, 2018, 12:07 PM

field. If they were still mediocre like 2016, we would have gotten a few that they gobbled up. When they are doing well on the field, they vacuum up a lot of the talent we would have gotten in Georgia and Florida.

Re: Yes, I saw thatwhen it came out. Still worried.***

Jul 14, 2018, 10:00 AM [ in reply to Re: Yes, I saw thatwhen it came out. Still worried.*** ]

No doubt that they know way more than we do, but like us, they know that recruiting is slipping on some of the big time guys we were after!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As a loyal Tiger supporter

Jul 14, 2018, 10:13 AM

I'll do my part and scour the Craigslist ads for a cycle. It's all about the cycle...right? ;)

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What is worrying about this going to accomplish?

Jul 14, 2018, 10:39 AM [ in reply to Yes, I saw thatwhen it came out. Still worried.*** ]

Not a thing.

Besides, there is really no reason at this point to doubt our coaching staff’s ability to evaluate and develop talent. My guess is that a lot of the three star guys have flown under the radar a bit, and will be upgraded to four stars by signing day.

A recent basketball recruit for the 2020 class just committed to UNC over Clemson and a lot of others. His rating? A 2 star. There is no way he’s really a 2 star with that kind of offer list, and I can guarantee he will at least be a 4 star before it’s all said and done.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Get back when you AREN’T worried about EVERYTHING

Jul 14, 2018, 4:15 PM [ in reply to Yes, I saw thatwhen it came out. Still worried.*** ]

Clemson does. New construction, coaches, recruiting etc. etc. etc.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 14, 2018, 10:46 AM

Not to mention there are/were many saying "these 3 star guys will be 4 or 5 stars by the end of their recruiting."

70% of our commits just got down rated. Biggest reason is the 4 and 5 star talent just got their chance to showcase even more at the Opening and Nike camps. Most of our guys weren't rated high enough to go.

Maybe they'll show out playing their final seasons and prove me wrong. I also see this as a down cycle. Which seems to be compounded by the fact that this will be Dabo's largest class yet. Why does that excuse low rated guys? Like we can concede to lower talent because of some quantity over quality aspect? I don't see that. But, we're apparently allowed to go for lesser talent because of it.

I can put on my orange colored glasses, and think our coaches will be able to get these guys ready. But,they're not all Beasley and Renfrow.

Seemingly missing on guys, not offering others, and reading that we're "in consideration with such others a Purdue, Illinois, or whatever" seems wrong.

I feel like it's contentment or something. Just off.

Jul 14, 2018, 11:11 AM

We still have a long ways to go before signing day . Dabo will close strong .

Jul 14, 2018, 3:39 PM

I hope so but we also thought we had a safety in the bag last cycle too and thst didn’t pan out so we didn’t get one when we really needed to.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Does not appear to be a good class relatively speaking.***

Jul 14, 2018, 12:13 PM [ in reply to Re: We're 11th in ESPN and 9th in 247 recruiting ]

Jul 14, 2018, 9:06 PM [ in reply to Re: We're 11th in ESPN and 9th in 247 recruiting ]

Could not agree more..

Jul 14, 2018, 11:36 AM

It. Is. July. Goodness, you people act like signing day is tomorrow. Half of these guys committed places won't be committed there after the season unfolds. 17 year old players' minds change on a dime, give Dabo and Co. some time and let the season pan out, I think we'll all be pleasantly surprised.

Jul 14, 2018, 11:57 AM

November...maybe, but it's July...not worried at all.

good points.***

Jul 14, 2018, 12:17 PM

Jul 14, 2018, 12:51 PM

There are several weak recruiting coaches on this staff unlike Alabama or Ohio State. Dabo can overvalue friendship and loyalty but it hurts when he won’t get rid of weak recruiters. Caldwell and Pearman hurt us in recruiting.

Coot Michal those “weak recruiting coaches” are whipping

Jul 14, 2018, 4:20 PM

the coot’s butts in recruiting and all over the playing field every year! Dumb to want them to improve???

Your feathers are showing......

Jul 14, 2018, 5:01 PM [ in reply to Re: We're 11th in ESPN and 9th in 247 recruiting ]

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 14, 2018, 5:48 PM [ in reply to Re: We're 11th in ESPN and 9th in 247 recruiting ]

Got to hand it to you coots. Y’all are sort of like the snowflakes that believe every fake news story they see

Jul 14, 2018, 12:51 PM

There are several weak recruiting coaches on this staff unlike Alabama or Ohio State. Dabo can overvalue friendship and loyalty but it hurts when he won’t get rid of weak recruiters. Caldwell and Pearman hurt us in recruiting.

Jul 14, 2018, 12:57 PM

I think this class is being filled with developmental guys that will come in and fit right with the culture. There aren’t many elite prospects in this class. Bryton Constantin looks really good on film while someone like Keith Maguire looks like a guy that will have to develop into a good player. And with the depht that they have at LB, he has time. Ruke Orhorhoro is a developmental guy as well, but he had 20 sacks in his first year as a football player. I have a feeling that he is going to be a really good one. And again, XT, KJ, Mascoll, Rudolph, Foster, and Xavier Kelly all come back. So he has time to get better. Clemson desperately needs to hit homeruns at DT, Oline, and secondary. The coaches need guys that can contribute right away because of the lack of depth. Secondary is trending in the right direction. DT and Oline have been disappointing up to this point.

Well, I would be lying if I said I wasn't concerned. But

Jul 14, 2018, 1:46 PM

...here are my specific concerns/thoughts (ended up being rather long…lol):

1. As we know, the development of our classes begins YEARS before the actual signing year/season. Who we do/don’t get in the years leading up to the signing year/season logically has to impact our strategy. So, there are a lot of variables. But our coaches had to have known that this class overall was “down” on talent (which has been well documented).

2. Quozzel has discussed this on more than one occasion, but one variable that we couldn’t have foreseen was the rise in questionable recruiting tactics that we are seeing out of some “local” SEC schools. I won’t say more. But this is something that indeed does impact our strategy.

3. Our strategic move to recruit more “nationally” has been most likely somewhat driven by #2 above, but that is not the only reason. We can’t just change on a dime like that. We had to have been planning that for a while. It probably in part is related to Dabo’s long-term vision and also due to other players across the nation expressing interest in Clemson.

4. I firmly believe that schools who resort to questionable recruiting tactics, which obviously involve certain recruits, will reap what they sow. The character of both staff/program and said recruits will eventually show up. Yes, they may have a temporary rise, but the fall will come. I read an article recently that had a quote by an ACC coach about Clemson. Bottom line was that the coach admired that Clemson did it the right way. Wise people recognize the long game.

5. The coaches are not going to share all of the setbacks or promising developments with us. And, yes, there are both at play.

6. Let’s not forget this new era of having official visits earlier. This has been discussed a lot. Dabo tends to have a good feel for things. He likely has decided to hold off on the officials based on the expected season we will have. It certainly could backfire. Rest assured that he will learn from what works and doesn’t work. We really can’t expect more from him because his seeming belief that holding off on officials due to this upcoming season is not at all illogical.

7. Dabo builds a TEAM. He does not just collect all the best talent he can find and hope it comes together into a team. That includes qualities no one else really pays much attention to: intelligence, leadership, selflessness, behavior, etc. And I’m sure it doesn’t end there. The staff seems to try to fit each piece together (again, not just speaking of talent). This approach is taken by most teams, but not necessarily to the degree that Dabo takes it. Why take the Renfrows and Heugels of the world? Why take the 5.5 rated players like Jalen Williams and Kendall Joseph? Why have slots for legacies? Why have slots for unique personalities like Daniel Rodriguez? He saw that not only did they have varying degrees of natural talent, but they also fit in the fabric of the team to make it stronger.

8. Before anyone says it, I am the FIRST to say that I know we MUST have elite talent. We need the Watsons, Lawrences, Higgins, Terrells, Wilkins, etc. to win big. No doubt. And we need talented OL. I think that is really where we are getting uncomfortable: We don’t have the usual headliner of the class (but I love what we are getting with Frank Ladson), AND we don’t have a good feeling about OL. I think we are all generally ok so far regarding our DL and LB recruits, given the down year. We seem to have found some underrated gems on DL, and we hope to bring in some additional talent. And I think we are ok with our WR, TE, QB, RB, DB, and K recruits. What we really want to see are some solid OL (would love to see some elite OL) and some top, elite players for other positions, such as Crouch, Booth, etc.

9. Finally, I don’t really think complacency is a problem. Frankly, I don’t see how you can be hungry for championships and be complacent in recruiting. Can we improve? Oh, yes, we always can improve. But Dabo has not given us any reason to think that he and the rest of the staff have believed that they have “arrived” and are resting on their laurels. In fact, Dabo has continued to say that he is still building. Dabo and staff are human. They cannot snap their fingers so that everything turns out perfectly. Adversity will come in all facets. I think they may be experiencing some adversity right now. But he seems to readjust and learn from adversity and any mistakes or mis-steps he takes. That is what experience teaches.

10. Let’s be all-in with Dabo and our staff. We SHOULD have a special season coming. We have been set on the back-burner by all the media and all. It’s sort of quiet. But this season is setting up to be another special one. Recruiting should continue to benefit from our program’s being front and center for all to see. Go Tigers!

Re: Well, I would be lying if I said I wasn't concerned. But

Jul 14, 2018, 4:05 PM

Well said and doesn’t matter if it’s long. I think the original post as am I just looking for thoughtful debate and discussions. Easy to quip back and impress your tnet buds with fancy quotes or calling people coots etc but see you’ve shed a whole new perspective and light I hadn’t considered...

Today article on the nc state vs us recruit sounds like we’re slow playing him but it gets confusing for me because I don’t know what is brewing behind the scenes.

Anyway, long way to say, love what you posted and agree almost 100 %. Thanks.

I thought a Partridge in a Pear Tree was coming with

Jul 14, 2018, 5:10 PM [ in reply to Well, I would be lying if I said I wasn't concerned. But ]

that post ?? you should apply for Tim Bourret's job ??

Relax, it’s only July.

Jul 14, 2018, 4:19 PM

We expect to recruit a large class after this season ends. Many of your top 25 recruits will drag out the recruiting process until the final minute because they want their selection to be televised. A lot of the top uncommitted recruits have Clemson in their Top 5 or Top 3. If we can get on the board with a recruit then all it takes is a golf cart ride with Dabo and that kid is a lock.. I am in no way worried about this recruiting class. We snagged up the #1 player at 6 different positions across 6 different states this past recruiting cycle. Once we bag another Natty, we’ll need to hang in there for one more season and bag another playoff appearance. After that, 5 Star recruits will be beating the doors down to come to Clemson. Also take into consideration that the new transfer rule will push a lot of top level talent towards Clemson because they will be sitting the bench at a school like Alabama or Georgia. Many SEC schools oversign and that causes a problem with rotations on the field. Many studs will not stay where they’re not getting adequate playing time. Just my two cents.

Go Tigers!

2024 free_orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any America because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race.

~Chesty Puller
Lt.General United States Marine Corps

Jul 14, 2018, 9:27 PM

You’re right to be concerned and Georgia is running circles around us on the recruiting trail. Pisses me right off, what the hell is kirby selling these dudes

The real issue is playing time

Jul 14, 2018, 9:49 PM

These guys (the 4 and 5 stars) want to play, and start, right away. That's why very few teams have long runs at the highest levels. It's hard to maintain when guys have to wait for juniors and seniors to move on before they get to see the field. we will be fine, I trust these coaches, but y'all have to understand that we may take a step back occasionally. We will get to the point where we bring in the top classes each year, it may take a year or two.

Surprised as well.

Jul 14, 2018, 10:18 PM

With a larger class I thought the rank would be higher not lower. With that being said they must have confidence that the guys they're getting are diamonds to be polished and don't have to play as freshmen.

Replies: 31
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic