Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front 7 next year?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

Front 7 next year?

Jan 10, 2019, 12:23 PM

DT- Pinckney
DT- ?
DE- XT
DE- ?

LB- Shaq Smith
LB- ?
LB- ?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Too many options

Jan 10, 2019, 12:26 PM

will be sorted out through competition, the way it should be. Hearing Cle missle may come back though. That would be one less question mark.

Re: Too many options

Jan 10, 2019, 12:28 PM

Skalski at LB... he played lights out with about 20 snaps in the Natty. That decision to RS him will prove to be the greatest coaching decision when we have so many freshman at LB on the two to three deep. Chad Smith played well too.

Don't forget about KJ Henry opposite XT.

LB: Simmons, Skalski, Smith (Chad)
DE: XT KJ Henry (Cle returning will adjust that)
DT: Pickney, Kelly

Message was edited by: bobbyb99®

Message was edited by: bobbyb99®

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I would be thrilled, but that would be kind of baffling.

Jan 10, 2019, 12:28 PM [ in reply to Too many options ]

Unless NFL teams are evaluating him MUCH differently than everyone else, he could be a top 15 pick.

That's kind of what happened with Christian Wilkins though. Fans and media were all assuming he was an easy first rounder and then he got a late 1st, maybe 2nd draft grade and he came back.

Re: Too many options

Jan 10, 2019, 3:10 PM [ in reply to Too many options ]

WDE-Foster/X Kelly/Henry
DT-J Williams/T Davis/T Johnson
DT-Pinckney/D Jeffries
SDE-X Thomas/Rudolph

WLB-Skalski/B Constantin
MLB-Shaq Smith/Chad Smith/L Bentley
SLB-Simmons/M Jones Jr.

CB-Terrell/Goodrich/S Jones
FS-Wallace/Goodrich
SS-Muse/Turner/J Charleston
CB-McMichael/Booth

Re: Front 7 next year?

Jan 10, 2019, 12:30 PM

Jordan Williams, KJ Henry/Rudolph, Skalaski, Jones

Jan 10, 2019, 12:36 PM

What about Foster?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 10, 2019, 12:32 PM

I’ve been asking myself the same thing.

For defensive starters, I’m thinking:

DE - Foster
DT - Pinckney
DT - Williams
DE - Thomas
WILL - Skalski
MIKE - Smith (Chad)
SAM - Simmons
CB - Terrell
CB - Goodrich
FS - Muse
SS - Wallace

Jan 10, 2019, 12:36 PM

you left out Turner. He is only going to get better!

Jan 10, 2019, 12:50 PM

You might be right!

In 2018:

“Nolan Turner enters bowl season credited with 38 tackles (2.5 for loss) and two pass breakups in 341 snaps over 13 games”

“Tanner Muse enters bowl season credited with 68 tackles (2.5 for loss), four pass breakups, 2.0 sacks and two interceptions in 556 snaps over 13 games”

Their production per snap is virtually identical. Nolan is more ballhawk than bruiser but you could argue which is better and neither side would be wrong.

^ This***

Jan 10, 2019, 12:41 PM [ in reply to Re: Front 7 next year? ]

Jan 10, 2019, 10:56 PM [ in reply to Re: Front 7 next year? ]

I think McMichael will be the other starter at CB. He looked like he was grasping the college game way better than Goodrich in limited time this year.

Jan 11, 2019, 6:28 PM

tigerfan2323 tigerfan22334® I think McMichael will be the other starter at CB. He looked like he was grasping the college game way better than Goodrich in limited time this year.

You might be right. I do remember seeing McMichael in and holding his own a few times. But, Goodrich looks like the perfect CB physically.

We can't go wrong with either!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Foster and JWilliams will round out the DL, Foster is a

Jan 10, 2019, 12:44 PM

beast

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 10, 2019, 12:55 PM

KJ Henry - will be a beast at DE. RS(fresh) next year.
Xavier Kelly - been in the system just had to play behind all americans.
Other DT - will be one or a combination of the incoming class!
Jordan Williams 6'4 310 #135 in ESPN 300 in 17.
Darnell Jefferies - 6 '2 275 I believe redshirted this season. He has a full college S & C on his frame now and a years worth of system knowledge.
Mike Jones - LB
Boyd - LB
Upshaw - IMG LB that came in LY.
Justin Foster - is he a LB or a DE? Same with Logan Rudolph? Both played a good # of snaps this season. Hopefully, and I have confidence they will, continue to grow in body and in knowledge. What's unknown is who will be the "thumper" on the defense. Or the "alpha" that gets everyone locked in and the extra umph that can only come from someone who is on the field "with you"!
We have really good options to choose from. And again, through competition, in actual games who starts or not will get sorted out by productivity! All these guys are capable otherwise they would not have received an invite to campus/team. I am least worried about replacing Mullen. We have superior options to anybody else to replace him with.

Young and inexperienced will be the catch word at the beginning of camp. How quickly these guys adjust to being "the man" will go a long way next year!

Don't Worry

Jan 10, 2019, 3:00 PM

BV is our defensive coordinator, he'll have who ever it is ready to go.

Jan 10, 2019, 3:14 PM

DE - Xavier Thomas
DT- Pinckney
DT- Jordan Williams
DE- Justin Foster/KJ Henry
LB- Skalski
LB- Simmons
LB- Chad Smith (possibly Shaq hoping he puts it all together and breaks out this year)

Justin Foster A LB or DE

Jan 10, 2019, 6:17 PM

He seems like a bit of a: "tweener"!

If he can add enough weight he would be a heck of a DT. Doubt that. But, he is listed as 260 - can he carry that much weight in pass coverage? KJ Henry and Xavier Thomas are 5 star players who are explosive. He was a high 4 star himself and no slouch; but will he get much run before those two at DE? He's a valuable player b/c of his versatility i'll tell you that much.

Excited about what the defense will eventually look like. I'm excited about what Mario Goodrich will bring in the secondary! I think he is a bonafide baller with good size for CB. Speed.

Coaches often say they more excited to coach and teach when there are new faces! Brent and company will be some raw talent molding excellent players starting with tomorrow's team meeting! After looking back through some of the guys we have; I am in no way shape or form as anxious about what the Tigers defense will look like. We will be very good! By the end of the year maybe even one of the best; if it all comes together! Based on starter minutes for new starters and the raw high ceiling talent of the guys who will back them up!

Re: Justin Foster A LB or DE

Jan 10, 2019, 8:21 PM

Shaq Smith - I had to come back and mention - will flourish next season I think. He is my pick to be that alpha(just from observation in his limited time). He has it in him; I think your confidence and concentration level goes up a ton for some people when you are expected to be the man. For some people it doesn't matter. I think Smith is one who will do better the more pressure to perform is on his shoulders! The pressure to perform is there when you are in the game; but not if the team is up a few TD's. I get the sense he will step up and be that 5 star LB.
It should be easy to tell by what we see in the spring game. How much will him and some of the new "expected" starter grind and improve their bodies between now and then!
I think they respond and show out next season!

Re: Justin Foster A LB or DE

Jan 10, 2019, 8:29 PM

My biggest concern with these lineups is the run stopper up the middle. We’ve been spoiled with Lawrence, Jarret, Reader, Pagano etc etc. After Pinkney we don’t have an experienced player with that tug-o-war size to hold the oline. Venables is going to have get creative with his LBs and schemes next season.

Jordan Williams!

Jan 10, 2019, 8:58 PM

smillsap1 We have some size that RS last year. Remember - we might see Albert Huggins get drafted in the late rounds of the NFL draft this year and he only has a handful of start in his Clemson career.

In other words, the talent in front of these guys was just so good, we didn't hear much from them. Pinckney would be a standout on most other teams for example. I think the 5 star DT we have coming will start from the beginning next year! He will have to maybe put on a few pounds I think; but he's a good player. Plays with good leverage.

A couple of the 3 star DE coming in I see moving inside! The kid from Michigan specifically(Ruke).

Tyler Davis will get as many reps as he can handle as long as he comes in and works(which applies to any player) but in his case he can name his minutes early if he gives good effort from the jump.

I absolutely love our CB recruits! Man, we are set for a few year at CB! Good height/speed combination guys who played WR some. So, superior ball skills.

Still hoping we get Jaquaze Sorrells - I would hope the recent whooping we put on bamer would sway him this way. He like Tyler Davis could name their minutes if they come in early and work like starters. If not a guy who has less stars will start in front of them until they figure it out.

Not worried! Take a look at the guys who redshirted. We'll be really talented and will have to rely on young players up the middle but those young players will be talented.

Jan 11, 2019, 6:55 PM

Dont forget Rudolph or as Dabo calls him "a rolling ball of butcher knives"

Jan 11, 2019, 7:57 PM

Idk who and where but tons of talent on that side of the ball. Another top 10 Defense is what I believe it will be.

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic