Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
From the comPost and Slurrier
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

From the comPost and Slurrier

Feb 16, 2017, 8:04 PM

Clemson fans....quit celebrating!!!!

That house in the neighborhood with the Clemson banner. You know the one. The place that never had a Clemson banner attached until the wee hours of Jan 10.

Or your friend at the gym with the national championship T-shirt. Same T-shirt. Every workout.

But what about that Gamecock fan at the office who suddenly started taking the long way around distant cubicles to reach the restroom? You guys used to be so close.

By the way, the guest speaker thing has taken on a whole new aura.

“Clemson fans can’t wait to hear you talk about the Alabama game,” the introducer guy said to me. “But, please, keep it brief. We have some suffering Gamecock fans that can’t take much more of this.”

Which begs a few questions, particularly in South Carolina, known for politeness, and Charleston, famed for friendliness.

What is proper celebration etiquette?

How long – or how much – are Clemson fans allowed to publicly enjoy the Tigers’ Jan. 9 College Football Playoff national championship game victory before officially becoming obnoxious?

Quiz question No. 1: What’s the best way to react to a finger-waving Clemson fan in the grocery aisle as February winds closer to March?

a. “Yeah, congrats, Frank. Again.”

b. “Do you know where I can find the cookie dough?”

c. “Wait ‘til next year!”

d. Flying groin kick

Clearly, this is a job for sports etiquette experts.

‘In your face’

Dr. Susan Krauss Whitbourne is a professor of Psychological and Brain Science at the University of Massachusetts. She is an adult development expert and author whose work has been featured on “The Today Show” and CNN, and in the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Psychology Today and many other publications. She frequently discusses the psychology of sports fandom.

“Don’t be too ‘in your face’ to the USC fans,” Whitborune said. “They really are just like you, except their team lost. It’s too easy for the ‘in group’ to forget how much like the ‘out group’ they actually are.”

Yes, and some of them sleep with each other.

Quiz question No. 2: How long is too long for celebration displays involving clothes, car flags, hair-dye, house banners or brightly colored balloons tied to your desk at work?

a. A week

b. A month

c. Start of the 2017 season

d. Until the Bieber administration normalizes relations with North Korea

Richie Frieman is a manners and etiquette expert, the author of “REPLY ALL … And Other Ways To Tank Your Career” and has addressed sports issues in his Modern Manners Guy columns.

“Even the wildest parties have to come to an end sometime, right?” Frieman said. “And yes, celebrating a win can technically go on forever. Technically. I mean, I’m sure the Cubs will be drinking to their World Series win for a long time. However, making the world know that ‘your team’ reigns supreme loses its novelty after a few months.”

In other words, Frieman stresses, “A championship celebration isn’t your free pass to run around town with your face painted, and yelling at the top of your lungs for four months.”

The Taylor Swift way

Ah, and the slightly less in-your-face but nonetheless nagging habit of “humble bragging” – the art of thinly-veiled swagger rarely lost in translation.

Pop singer Taylor Swift has been dubbed a “humblebrag” master for, among other things, her surprised looks at award shows when announced as a winner. And various tweets.

Such as, “Sitting here with my new People’s Choice Award and Chinese food take out, watching Law and Order. Thank you for a beautiful night:)

And, “That moment when your cat casually walks up, then abruptly ATTACKS your custom satin Oscar de la Renta gown during your fitting for Met Ball.”

Quiz question No. 3: The best/most annoying “humblebrag” line for a Clemson fan is …

a. “No dessert – still trying to lose a little weight from all those dinners in Tampa.”

b. “Deshaun Watson’s family is just so nice; we really got to know them during all our College Football Playoff trips.”

c. “I’m going to go broke if Clemson doesn’t lose a few games next season.”

d. “So how was Birmingham?”

Perhaps Dr. Whitbourne summed up championship etiquette best when asked how long a celebration should continue.

“As long as you like, at least mentally,” she said. “Buying a T-shirt commemorating the event is a celebration that keeps on giving.”

It should be noted that Dr. Whitbourne’s office in Amherst, Mass., is in the heart of New England Patriots country, where they continue to celebrate a Super Bowl victory over the Atlanta Falcons that included a rally from 25 points down.

“For context,” Dr. Whitbourne said, “I just ordered a ‘Wicked Comeback’ T-shirt. Will enjoy it for years to come, I imagine.”

Follow Gene Sapakoff on Twitter @sapakoff

http://www.postandcourier.com/columnists/sapakoff-annoying-clemson-fans-envious-gamecocks-proper-celebration-etiquette/article_73cfcc08-f479-11e6-ab0e-438b24239b21.html

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: From the comPost and Slurrier

Feb 16, 2017, 8:09 PM

Poor Coots .

Now I just want to rub it in more .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Those guys would trade the family jewels for a National

Feb 16, 2017, 9:13 PM

Championship in football, and then they would put the SEC on notice that the rest of them need to pull their own weight! AMIRITE?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Those guys would trade the family jewels for a National

Feb 17, 2017, 2:34 AM

There's the answer to how much is enough. When the Coots win a NC, then we'll stop. Might even give them props if they win the SEC but I don't see that happening in my lifetime.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Offended chickenfans should have considered this about

Feb 16, 2017, 9:22 PM

3 years ago.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They're just down a well and there ain't no rope .

Feb 16, 2017, 9:42 PM

It puts the marinade on it's skin.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

This.

Feb 16, 2017, 10:14 PM [ in reply to Offended chickenfans should have considered this about ]

This. Oh how true. We had to endure all those "high-fives" and "five-bombs." Now I just don't seem to wipe that ####-eating grin off my face; not trying very hard either. It will probably disappear in about 20 years, unless we win a few more in the interim, but until then I plan to wallow in the victory over Big Bad Bama, the unbeatable Bama with the best defense in the history of college football. ROFLOL. Go Tigers.

Oh, and we don't need the coot rags in Charlestown or Columbia telling us to stop celebrating. We are fully capable of deciding that ourselves.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They need to add ," Please"....."Please stop"....still won't

Feb 17, 2017, 10:18 AM

do it, but, they need to add it.....

Exactly. Where was the article interviewing

Feb 17, 2017, 5:27 AM [ in reply to Offended chickenfans should have considered this about ]

psychologists and etiquette experts then?!!!

Re: Offended chickenfans should have considered this about

Feb 17, 2017, 6:12 AM [ in reply to Offended chickenfans should have considered this about ]

Exactly. They gave new meaning to the word obnoxious in their 5-year run. Little did they know it would come back to bite them ####.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 16, 2017, 9:41 PM

I had a chicken friend bring up 5 in a row today. I asked his to see the trophy.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Living in the past

Feb 16, 2017, 9:58 PM

and that is all they will ever have. It will passed down from generation to generation...five good years and gone. LOL.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Living in the past

Feb 17, 2017, 6:58 AM

The worst part ? They beat Clemson 5 straight years , won a single division title ...got humiliated in their conference championship game and never made one of the " major " bowls during that span .

...and then the depression set in .

DB23

I picture a cigarette boat, hauling ### up the Wando, and

Feb 17, 2017, 10:24 AM

then it runs across a dangling stern line on a big ole tug and the ole tug slowly but surely drags that the cigarette boat out to sea, never even aware that the cigarette boat is in its wake....

I quit celebrating the National Championship

Feb 16, 2017, 10:01 PM

from 1981 a little over a month ago...

hope that helps.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

#neverforget

Feb 17, 2017, 6:07 AM

They don't have to worry, we will never forget we have 2 and they have none.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I do NOT mind being called obnoxious

Feb 16, 2017, 10:08 PM

for the right reason.

Suck it, coots

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Feb 16, 2017, 10:19 PM

Just make sure you celebrate after you get your food.

Feb 17, 2017, 6:22 AM

Dumb coots, they spend more time trying to decipher how long another team should quit bragging because they don't know the experience of a national title. If they had one it they would still be having parades in prison! For goodness sakes they keep beating their chest over the irrelevant 5 bomb that nearly happened a decade ago!
Suck it coots!

Sour Grapes

Feb 17, 2017, 6:51 AM

Will never forget going to Target in a non Columbia Metropolitan Area and having two-thirds of the store Garnet and Black after 2013 game. I wear my cfp t-shirt and national champs t-shirt every chance I get. Maybe they're also offended we scored 56 points on them last fall. I was mildly disappointed we didn't hit triple figures. For anyone who's had extensive dealings with a lot of South Carolina fans, their six wins this past year was too much for them. One would have been too much. By the way, I guarantee this state would be covered in Garnet and Black and full of obnoxious people at every turn and the tables been reversed. This is mild.

But they're not upset or anything. They need to switch their

Feb 17, 2017, 10:29 AM

mascot to "The Melting Snowflakes."

Or maybe "The Whining Triggerees."

"They really are just like you, except their team lost."

Feb 17, 2017, 10:44 AM

ummm......no they aren't.

Feb 17, 2017, 10:54 AM

What articles like this don't often grasp is that fans don't want to win championships in order to show them off to opponents (at least not exclusively). Fans want to win because of their love for a program. This was a sweet victory and we'll enjoy it as long as we want, not as long as outsiders dictate we're supposed to.

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic