Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Betsy DeVos confirmed
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

Betsy DeVos confirmed

Feb 7, 2017, 12:46 PM

Change we can believe in? Let's hope it's the kind of change that gives more control over education to localities, and that makes the education system less beholden to the union-corrupted educational establishment.

I also hope she makes some major changes in the department's Officer of Civil Rights. They went completely off the rails in their interpretation of Title IX in regards to guidance to universities on sexual assault and to sex separate facilities in schools.

Message was edited by: camcgee®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

New OC at Bama?***

Feb 7, 2017, 12:48 PM

badge-ringofhonor-clemsonsteve02.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And end the reign of terror grizzly bears have had over our

Feb 7, 2017, 12:50 PM

schools.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The freak out over that was "binders of women" level stupid***

Feb 7, 2017, 1:04 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I really don't care.

Feb 7, 2017, 1:25 PM

It's the definition of cronyism.

Re: Betsy DeVos confirmed

Feb 7, 2017, 12:50 PM

As if we didn't have enough people at the state department and Dept. of Ed who have never seen a classroom since they graduated.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

How much teaching experience did Arne Duncan have?

Feb 7, 2017, 1:21 PM

Not that he did a great job (in fact, the Department of Ed. wasted billions of dollars on what was supposed to be their signature program: https://www.aei.org/publication/greatest-failure-in-history-us-department-of-education/), but it doesn't he appear he was ever a teacher, either: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arne_Duncan

John King, who was Secretary of Education from 2016 to 2017, was also never a teacher as far as I can tell: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_King_Jr.

It doesn't appear Margaret Spellings was ever a teacher: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret_Spellings

So George W. Bush's first Secretary of Education (from 2001-2005), Rod Paige, seems to have been the last Secretary to have been a classroom teacher: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rod_Paige

I'd assumed that when I saw all the complaints from people about DeVos never having been a teacher that it was unusual, but it seems like it's actually more unusual for a Secretary of Education to have been a classroom teacher. Maybe that's a problem, but a lot of the complaints about her now seem at least a little disingenuous to me.

I think most people

Feb 7, 2017, 1:23 PM

would hope that eventually we would get one that has been in the classroom.

Like you said, it's been awhile since we have had a teacher as DOED

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

Forget being a teacher. SHE'S NEVER HAD A REAL JOB PERIOD

Feb 7, 2017, 9:46 PM [ in reply to How much teaching experience did Arne Duncan have? ]

All she's ever done is be born into wealth, marry into even more wealth, and serve on boards and committees. She has never known one ounce of struggle and she proved during the confirmation process that she knew next to nothing about the education methodologies and theory. On top of being woefully incompetent in the critical subject matter in question, she also proved to be a spineless coward. She was noncommittal when discussing black and white issues such as keeping guns out of schools and holding voucher/charter schools to the same standards as public schools. Her confirmation is a joke and Republicans should be ashamed. All this has proved to the American people is that cabinet positions can be bought and paid for with massive donations. A great message to send our kids. Thanks, DJT and the Republican Establishment.

Re: Forget being a teacher. SHE'S NEVER HAD A REAL JOB PERIOD

Feb 7, 2017, 9:47 PM

yes and Obama did the same thing and spied on Americans and his DOJ was a joke

She's the debil. We need more riots!!***

Feb 7, 2017, 12:51 PM

If she's a hollerer, she'll be a screamer.
If she's a screamer, she'll get you arrested.

Burn some more Starbucks?***

Jokes on you. Starbucks coffee is already burnt.***

Feb 7, 2017, 1:13 PM

null

Harumph***

Feb 7, 2017, 1:25 PM

Tried reforming education through a successful outsider

when Greenville county brought in a very successful army general to be superintendent.

Teachers hated him but it was the parents ran him out of town

Arguably Zais was a similar type of "reformer" and he managed to #### off everyone on both sides and didn't fix a #### thing.

My biggest concern is she wants tax money spent on for-profit K-12 options (including some her family has interests in) and all that did at the college level, including her boss' Trump University, was rip people off.

We're talking about charter schools, right?

Feb 7, 2017, 1:07 PM

That's a different thing from Trump University, which wasn't really a university at all. DeVos, at the very least, has been working in education reform for years. It's not as if she's a former army general. And parents generally favor school choice.

Not to mention that tax money for charter schools...

Feb 7, 2017, 1:21 PM

isn't really a federal issue in the first place. She can promote it and work to keep the feds from banning it, but it's mainly all decided at the state and local level.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Unregulated charters schools very likely won't be

Feb 7, 2017, 1:26 PM [ in reply to We're talking about charter schools, right? ]

real schools either.

I did hear an encouraging interview with the senior senator from OK on NPR this morning that stressed her focus would be on letting states and local school boards decide how the choices were implemented.

Has she really worked in school reform or just thrown money at it? I really don't know.

I don't think she's for unregulated charters***

Feb 7, 2017, 1:32 PM

She doesn't want charter schools receiving federal and state

Feb 7, 2017, 1:40 PM

tax dollars to be held to the same reporting and visibility requirements of public schools. That's no small crossover into "unregulated".

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

She has activity lobbied for the deregulation of charters

Feb 7, 2017, 1:47 PM [ in reply to I don't think she's for unregulated charters*** ]

"Reville says DeVos has favored school choice without much regulation. He said it has led to chaos in Michigan schools.

“She’s in favor of giving the money to the individuals, and letting the individuals take the money to the best school that they can find. [Government officials] don’t regulate it with respect to whether its for profit or not, don’t regulate it with respect to whether it’s a religious school or not, so you can have private schools, parochial schools, public schools,” Reville said. “It’s kind of the wild west.”

Reville said while DeVos is pushing for deregulation and school vouchers, most Michigan voters are opposed to them, and the push-back isn’t limited to partisan politics."

http://news.wgbh.org/2016/12/08/local-news/betsy-devos-advocated-school-choice-michigan-schools-there-are-wild-west

One of hundreds of hits when you search for devos deregulation charter schools

This isn't really deregulation...

Feb 7, 2017, 2:45 PM

What Reville describes sounds like exactly what should be happening. Parents should be able to choose the best schools for their kids, whether they're private, parochial, or public. What most people are referring to when they say that DeVos doesn't want charter schools regulated was her lobbying against a particular oversight panel that was part of the Michigan charter school law that would've had the power to open, close, and locate charter schools. But the panel would've been appointed by the Mayor of Detroit, who banned charters from buying any vacant schools that were within a mile of a traditional public school. Charters also would be judged based on whether the district's enrollment stabilized or increased in five years, which would likely keeping charters from enrolling kids in the absence of a population boom.

In fact, when the Michigan law was being passed, DeVos and her organization pushed for independent accountability for charters through the state's School Reform Office. She wanted schools rated on an A-F basis, default closure for the lowest performing charters, and standards for charter authorization that would encourage incentives to be aligned with creating good schools.

Unfortunately, only one side of this story is usually told in reports about DeVos, and not surprisingly, it's the side being told by unions and charter opponents.

https://www.the74million.org/article/analysis-what-the-media-has-gotten-wrong-about-betsy-devos-and-detroits-schools

Many highly regulated public schools aren't real schools either.***

Feb 7, 2017, 1:56 PM [ in reply to Unregulated charters schools very likely won't be ]

null

Touche -

Feb 7, 2017, 2:38 PM

but that is the fault of the local school board and their funding formula, not federal policy.

That girl is poisoooonn..***

Feb 7, 2017, 1:13 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-beeksteak-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Never trust a big butt and a smile***

Feb 7, 2017, 1:28 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't really have much comment on DeVos in particular

Feb 7, 2017, 1:32 PM

(I really don't know anything about her. I read the quip about grizzly bears.)

I like the idea of having someone with a lot of experience in education heading the education department. But there needs to be some CEO-type leadership skill as well, because that's a large department. Might be difficult to come up with someone who has both.

Federal agencies shouldn't be run like businesses.

Feb 7, 2017, 1:45 PM

Aside from having been in a leadership position, I'm not sure how being the CEO of anything qualifies someone to run a government agency.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm just thinking in terms of delegation.

Feb 7, 2017, 1:48 PM

It's a big department, with a lot of things going on. Most everything will be delegated, which means a big part of DeVos's job is to put the right people doing the right things.

What's wrong with quality, service, and price?***

Feb 7, 2017, 2:12 PM [ in reply to Federal agencies shouldn't be run like businesses. ]

The only problem with CEOs running government...

Feb 7, 2017, 2:19 PM [ in reply to Federal agencies shouldn't be run like businesses. ]

is the bureaucrats and politicians between them and doing their jobs.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic