Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Ford pardoned Nixon even though Nixon hadn't been charged.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 433

Ford pardoned Nixon even though Nixon hadn't been charged.

Jan 18, 2021, 8:38 PM

A public service announcement for everyone who keeps wondering if Trump can do that.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nixon also resigned to avoid impeachment, as the

Jan 18, 2021, 9:07 PM

constitutional interpretation at the time was it couldn't be impeached retroactively after he was no longer in office.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's a different point, but I'm not sure you're right.

Jan 18, 2021, 9:28 PM

I've never seen anyone talk about the idea that Nixon couldn't have been impeached post-resignation. The point of impeachment was solely to remove him. Recall that this was years before his term would have ended. There was no political will, to my knowledge, to do anything to Nixon beyond removal.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Right. And I hope its the case now. Will be difficult to

Jan 18, 2021, 9:33 PM

talk unity while pursuing retribution on what would be an iffy legal case.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Right. And I hope its the case now. Will be difficult to

Jan 19, 2021, 4:12 AM

So you just want to let Trump walk or risk "angering" his extremists?

Sorry. At this point I could care less if they're mad, and they're not going to be placated...and in my experience, you don't win kudos by being nice to hard-right-wing guys anyway since all they tend to respect is strength and only strength.

Speaking broadly, left-wingers tend to be about principle over pragmatism, and the reverse is true for right-wingers, and the more extreme their ideology the more that tends to be true.

You're not going to win over Trump's more frenzied base by appealing to their ethics and better natures. You're going to do it by firmly telling them how it's going to be...and that in no small part starts by making examples of those who stepped over the line, starting with Dear Leader.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 19, 2021, 8:25 AM

If you don't understand that far leftists can be just as dangerous as far right people, then you are blind and know very little history of the world. See Stalin, Mao, Che, and Castro. More recently see Portland. You don't win Kudos by playing nice with any of these extremists.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 19, 2021, 12:41 PM [ in reply to Right. And I hope its the case now. Will be difficult to ]

I am not sure if I want to unify with insurrectionists. Perhaps now is the time for true conservatives to separate themselves from those who would seek to overturn a legal election.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I read something recently that spoke to the point...will see

Jan 18, 2021, 10:53 PM [ in reply to That's a different point, but I'm not sure you're right. ]

If I can find it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Nixon also resigned to avoid impeachment, as the

Jan 18, 2021, 11:10 PM [ in reply to Nixon also resigned to avoid impeachment, as the ]

Nixon was in his second term. There was no concern of him holding the office again.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 8
| visibility 433
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic