Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
For you Dabo lovers, let's talk real numbers....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 72
| visibility 1

For you Dabo lovers, let's talk real numbers....

Nov 25, 2012, 5:58 PM

Why some people on here choose to back Dabo is amazing. Why? What has he done? Before you answer think about this:

Since Dabo took over in 2008, Clemson is a respectable 39-21. When you add together all the wins against the bottom of the ACC (Duke, Maryland, BC, WF, and UVa) and the two cupcakes we schedule every year (Coastal, North Texas, Troy, etc.) Clemson is an amazing 23-2. So clearly Dabo has elevated play against inferior competition. However, when the Tigers play Sukolina, GT, FSU, etc, Clemson is a miserable 16-19.

Under Dabo, Clemson is 6-11 against Top 25 teams, 1-3 in bowl games, 1-4 against Sukolina, and 1-1 in ACCCGs. The only thing Dabo does better than Tommy Bowden is Dabo doesn't lose to bad teams. That's not good enough for me, not now, not ever. I expect and demand more.

When I watch a team miss tackles, fail to keep outside contain, or fail to generate any pass rush, it's time for a change. When I consistently see our best players fail to show up in big games i.e. Sammy and Nuk, it's time for a change. When you run your mouth like a teenager but can't back it up, it's time for a change. Most of all, when the Tigers constantly fail on the biggest stages, regardless of how bad they beat Duke and Wake Forest, it's time to find another coach.

I don't believe in hoping for Dabo to turn the corner or lowering the bar. His record is his record. Thanks for beating Duke and Boston College, but it's time for Dabo to go.

(My rant is nothing against Dabo as a man. He seems like a good man. This isn't about being a good man. It's about winning games. If I wanted to haphazardly watch football without caring who won, I'd pull for the Tarheels.)

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Give the players some credit, they were playing***

Nov 25, 2012, 6:01 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Credit for what?

Nov 25, 2012, 6:03 PM

I've got nothing against the players. They can't play better than they are coached.

Really

Nov 25, 2012, 6:17 PM

So you think coaching makes a player want to hit.
When a player is not coached he will not be in position to make a play.
When a player is coached he will be in position but not want to make the hit
ALL player's that play in the college level should already know how to BLOCK & Tackle its not up to the College Coaches to teach something that should already be knowledge
If a college coach has to teach a player how to block or tackle that player should not be playing college football
Some players just have the desire to hit someone that can not be coached, just like speed the player either has it or he don't
All any coach can do is to teach the player how to get the most out of what he already has

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You're joking right?

Nov 25, 2012, 6:23 PM

Even if what you were saying was true, it's still on Dabo to recruit players who can black and tackle. BTW, they do blocking and tackling drills in the NFL. So I'm pretty sure they do it in college too.

Yes. If a kid doesn't play like you want, bench him and play

Nov 25, 2012, 6:28 PM [ in reply to Really ]

a kid with heart. Our defense started playing better with Shuey starting, yet he is probably our least talented LB.

I'll take a solid coach and 25 kids with heart and beat up a team full of 4 star recruits coached by Dabo or TB.

Amen***

Nov 26, 2012, 2:53 PM

That's like saying give union employees credit for showing

Nov 25, 2012, 6:05 PM [ in reply to Give the players some credit, they were playing*** ]

up to work.

Point. Agree. How many off those 6 wins were against teams

Nov 25, 2012, 6:04 PM

that finished the year in the top 20? Top 25?

I'm pretty sure none finished top 20. Some not even top 25.

And we have only finished in the top 25 under Dabo 1 time, no top 20 finishes. If we win our bowl game we might finish in the top 20, otherwise it's a marginal top 25 finish, which sucks considering we'd be 10-3. But that's because we have had such an easy schedule.

We have 0 good wins, 2 bad losses.

0 good wins and 2 bad losses is better than

Nov 25, 2012, 6:20 PM

6 wins and 5 losses. Get real. Since when did it become the standard around here to win 10-11 games every season? Oh yeah....SINCE DABO WAS HIRED

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Truth^***

Nov 25, 2012, 6:25 PM

10 wins has been the standard since Pell and Ford but with

Nov 25, 2012, 6:37 PM [ in reply to 0 good wins and 2 bad losses is better than ]

the 12 game regular season plus ACCCG and bowl, 11 wins is a must in my eye, but even then it's not about wins but the quality of play.

We have 10 wins this year, but 0 good wins, which is unacceptable to me. It takes more than wins to satisfy me. There are other more important goals.

Dabo pumpers will say we won 10 games and my reply is ...

We won 10 games but ...

2 very ugly losses
No good wins
No ACCCG
No BCS bowl
No win vs. a top 25 team
No win vs. our biggest rival, usc. Even worse we've lost 4 in a row for the 1st time since the early 1950s.

But hey, we're 10-2 and looking at another Ckickfila bowl. Yippee.

Firing Dabo would be retarded. The reason he has beaten

Nov 25, 2012, 6:05 PM

bad teams is because that's the majority of games every team plays. Even SEC plays a lot of "bad teams".

But, we are awful in big games. We're not a top 10 program yet. But we're better than where we were. Dabo hasn't lost his hunger yet. The team plays totally different than years past. No reason to change course yet. It has sucked for the last few years against the #####, but have a little common sense.

Firing coach "cheese" and a new S&C guy are 2 things that I could get behind.

That's the kind of attitude that has us where we are today.

Nov 25, 2012, 6:08 PM

Dabo doesn't have "it". This wait-and-see attitude is a joke.

Exactly, coaches with "it" make an immediate impact and

Nov 25, 2012, 6:11 PM

within 2, 3 years tops, have teams playing significantly better.

Notre Dame was 6-6 in 2009. So there you go.***

Nov 25, 2012, 6:12 PM

Ford/Pell at CU, Spurrier at Duke/FL, Meyer at FL/OS. Saban

at Bama. And many many many more examples. People supporting TB/Dabo have the Beamer fever, but Beamer is the exception, not the rule.

Come on you morons!

Nov 25, 2012, 6:22 PM [ in reply to Notre Dame was 6-6 in 2009. So there you go.*** ]

Look what he's done in 2-3 years for Christsake! Conference championship! 2 division titles! Top recruiting classes! Pulling in top coordinators! He's doing everything right and is putting this program in the right direction!

Embarrassed in the OB, 1-4 vs Sukolina.

Nov 25, 2012, 6:24 PM

Yeah, Dabo is a real genius.

Seriously? Our recruiting is the same as TB, I looked it up,

Nov 25, 2012, 6:42 PM [ in reply to Come on you morons! ]

As far as coordinators, he is on his 2nd group in only 4 years and Morris was 1 year out of high school and Venables was about to get demoted when Stoops came back to OK from Arizona. And have you looked at how pathetic the ACC is? The ACC is barely better than a mid major at this point. We have 6 very ugly losses the past 2 years. 0-4 vs usc. 1-3 in bowls. You are deluding yourself.

Re: Come on you morons!

Nov 26, 2012, 4:06 PM [ in reply to Come on you morons! ]

agree CU......the sky is not falling

Re: Come on you morons!

Nov 26, 2012, 4:35 PM [ in reply to Come on you morons! ]

now if he will get us a S&C program the equal of the other football powers we will be fine... now I know this will not happen because Clemson refuses to use "chemicals" in our S & C program like the others

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Never said he had "it" but who do you expect us to go out

Nov 25, 2012, 6:12 PM [ in reply to That's the kind of attitude that has us where we are today. ]

and hire after firing a coach for going 10-2?

Who in there right mind would sign up for that job? All we'd be doing is taking a chance on another Dabo.

Dabo's still young, still recruiting well, has a great (not perfect) OC, and probably a pretty good DC. How bout let's give the staff in place a chance... Consistency in scheme is a key ingredient to success. Look at Auburn when Chizik randomly went in a different direction.

Wrong. The best staffs always have people leaving.

Nov 25, 2012, 6:16 PM

Spurrier turns over coaches every other season. Bill Belicheck loses coordinators every season. The best coaches are the best coaches because they can handle change and still lead.

BTW, I'd take Charlie Strong or Gary Patterson.

Ford lost staff, like you said, all winners do but keep

winning because of their leadership and philosophy. They simply are winners and know how to win.

Wrong it shows a commitment to winning. You forget we had

Nov 25, 2012, 6:21 PM [ in reply to Never said he had "it" but who do you expect us to go out ]

5 coaches from 1969 and 1978. I'd say that worked out quite well. You don't keep a marginal coach if winning championships is the goal. We have the money to pay any coach we really want. We just got a 12 million/year raise in revenue with ESPN, besides, winning pays for a great coach.

Our problem is Barker and our fans.

I don't know. With UT and Auburn looking, I just feel like

Nov 25, 2012, 6:25 PM

we'd get left out if we fired Dabo this year. I don't think it's smart. Chad's 3rd year, Tajh's senior year... I just think you go for break in 2013.

We are IMO a much more attractive job than UT or AU. We

Nov 25, 2012, 6:49 PM

don't need rebuilding, just better coaching. We have proven we can recruit great kids, we have an SEC environment, we can win championships and get respect in the polls if we take care of business. The only think stopping us is coaching. Which gets back to the desire to win from the top, which we are lacking. But that is b/c our fans are not holding the admin accountable like we did with Hatfield. As long as the stadium is full, people are buying season tickets, and IPTAY donations are stable there is no motivation for Barker to do anything, which is fine by him this is exactly what he wants.

We are no better than under TB. The difference is Morris and

Nov 25, 2012, 6:09 PM [ in reply to Firing Dabo would be retarded. The reason he has beaten ]

even he has a lot to earn at this level and has a big hand in our poor play in our last 6 losses, all very bad losses.

We are not going to become a top 10 team under Dabo, we aren't even a solid consistent top 20 team under him. We are a grossly under achieving, soft, poorly coached, marginal top 25 team.

Re: For you Dabo lovers, let's talk real numbers....

I see where you are coming from,and you have a lot of valid points.
Just my opinion,he gets next year.Lose too the coots,a real possibility considering the game is in Columbia,I might jump on your bandwagon.This is a bandwagon,right?

Nope, I wanted him gone last year.

Nov 25, 2012, 6:10 PM

I've been on this "bandwagon" ever since he was hired to replace Bowden. I thought it was dumb then too.

Amen, stupid hire, but our fans are saps and like the good

Nov 25, 2012, 6:14 PM

guy inspirational story. Our admin doesn't care about winning and our fans evidently don't seem to mind. Twenty years ago TB would have been gone in 4 or 5 years and Dabo would have never even been mentioned as a HC candidate.

If you fire Dabo, Chad's gone unless you promote him to HC

Nov 25, 2012, 6:18 PM

which I don't think would be worse than Dabo at HC but ideally you like him not having all the headache of HC after only being in college ball for 3 years.

So then you change the whole offense after everything has been in place for 2 years for Boyd's senior season, Sammy's last season, etc...

Just seems stupid to me.

Re: We can't worry about that. It's kind of like pouring

water in a coke bottle: if you are scared you won't get much in it.

We need to fire everyone and start over. We need to clean

Nov 25, 2012, 6:51 PM [ in reply to If you fire Dabo, Chad's gone unless you promote him to HC ]

house. We need an experienced proven winner, and he can keep Chad if he wants. But we need to change our soft culture.

Re: If you fire Dabo, Chad's gone unless you promote him to HC

Nov 26, 2012, 3:36 PM [ in reply to If you fire Dabo, Chad's gone unless you promote him to HC ]

chad needs to go cant win big with that offense the only team in the sec that runs similar offense is looking for a coach

Re: If you fire Dabo, Chad's gone unless you promote him to HC

Nov 26, 2012, 4:08 PM

what about aTm......dumbazz

Re: Nope, I wanted him gone last year.

Nov 25, 2012, 6:24 PM [ in reply to Nope, I wanted him gone last year. ]

Well then you're just stubborn and don't want to admit that he was a good replacement. Didn't know they grow sour grapes in Pittsburgh

HAHAHAh. What?

Nov 25, 2012, 6:26 PM

They grow Super Bowl winners in Pittsburgh son, six times over. Don't even start.

Re: HAHAHAh. What?

Nov 25, 2012, 6:37 PM

I'm not discussing NFL, nor was that a shot at your Steelers

Dabo is a clown.***

Nov 25, 2012, 6:52 PM

While I agree with you...

We must deal with the world as it is. A new AD, back to back 10 win seasons and the first ACC title in 20 years means Dabo isn't going anywhere this offseason.
Now, that doesn't mean we can't improve or make changes or even that your analysis of the record is wrong... Personally I think the S&C coach has to go as we're charmin soft... But in any event I think the best we can hope for is Dabo is told win against SC next year or you're gone.

Agreed...

Nov 25, 2012, 6:11 PM

Ha Bowden pulled the trigger on Spence and found Morris he would still be here with much the same results.

The only thing that i regret is that i wasted as much time

Nov 25, 2012, 6:13 PM

reading this idiot garbage as y'all did writing it.

My bad.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Real numbers as in more wins we've had in decades

Conference championship appearances, stellar offensive numbers, top recruiting classes, great record playing at home, wins against top 25 teams....what more do you want from the man?

Can't win em all

Saying we need to get rid of Dabo is FOOLISH! Look how far we've come since we hired him! In the TB days, we were lucky to crack into the top 25 consistently. We've had back to back 10 win seasons, a BCS game, a conference championship (almost 2)

Get real!

You are delusional. We don't beat any solid teams, we get

Nov 25, 2012, 6:55 PM

stomped every time we play a physical team with solid coaching, even with them having less talent.

Whatever else has become the standard...

Under Dabo, losing to SC most certainly has as well. Hence the complaints...

Here are a few facts ....

Nov 25, 2012, 7:03 PM

2010 - losing season - never happened under TB who took over a far worse program with outdated facilities.

2011 - All 4 loses were butt whoopins to teams with at best equal talent. We won the ACC based on luck. The team we can beat, VT, knocked off the team we couldn't beat, GT. Had we played GT in the ACCCG we would have been 9-5, no ACC title, no BCS bowl.

2012 - Beat the bad teams, stomped by the good teams. But both "good" teams were just that, good. Not great, not even close. We lost both games b/c we played like crap.

Dabo is 1-4 vs. usc, 1-3 in bowl games, no top 20 finishes, 1 marginal top 25 finish, no wins over teams that finished in the top 20 since he's been here. And our recruiting is the same as when TB was head coach.

We are no better nor respected now than under TB.

You take the job steeltiger1

Nov 25, 2012, 6:30 PM

It sounds as if our best money would be spent on hiring you as our HC. I'm not a Dabo supporter or against him but get sick of hearing what all the coaches do wrong. Tell us about your football career so that we all know why you are sooo qualified

YOU REALIZE I SPEND MY MONEY ON THIS FOOL, RIGHT??

Nov 25, 2012, 6:33 PM

I can say whatever I want. That dude is a millionaire thanks to dumb luck and the loyalty of thousands of Clemson fans.

Wait... you spent YOUR money on A FOOL?******

Nov 26, 2012, 4:40 PM

This is one of the most ridiculous things I have read.

Nov 25, 2012, 6:37 PM

You have got to be blind if you can't see that a culture change has taken place since Dabo has been at the helm. We have hired top coordinators, secured top recruiting classes, won the division twice (3 times if you count the 'co-divisional championship), won the ACC, and have recorded back-to-back 10 win seasons.

Losing to SC sucks, but Dabo is not going anywhere anytime soon. Who here expected 2012 to be our season? I sure as heck didn't. We have known for awhile that, based on the players returning, experience, etc. that 2013 is supposed to be "our season". Dabo has at least a couple more years at Clemson and we will see what unfolds.

Wow, you are blind, we are just as soft.***

Nov 25, 2012, 7:03 PM

Nov 25, 2012, 6:40 PM

Who would you hire?

Worst post ever, have you been in cave!?

Nov 25, 2012, 6:44 PM

2 of 4 in ACC champ game, back to back 10 wins. This is the best it's been since Danny. Trust me, been there.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

lol thanks to a crappy ACC not anything Dabo has done***

Nov 25, 2012, 7:04 PM

Re: lol thanks to a crappy ACC not anything Dabo has done***

Nov 25, 2012, 7:06 PM

we cant be responsible for other teams, when are people gonna learn that? gotta play the schedule given and not anything else

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Exacly and when is Dabo going to be held accountable for

Nov 25, 2012, 7:13 PM

2 beat downs this year and 4 last year.

USC is a 2nd tier SEC team and barely won several games this year.

FSU is not very good either.

Last year we lost to very bad teams in NC State and GT, and were blown out by a WVu team with less overall talent and a 1st year HC.

Wake up, we are soft, we are poorly coached.

Re: Exacly and when is Dabo going to be held accountable for

Nov 25, 2012, 7:56 PM

A few facts may be helpful...WVU had three players drafted last year, all defensive players including first round draft pick Bruce Irvin. Dana Holgerson is an offensive genius (look up his stats at OkSt). You can't possibly expect him to retool the defense that quickly. It's not a surprise that their defense struggled with a fast paced offense.

A few more facts may be more helpful...USC is no longer a second tier SEC team. They won the SEC east in 2010, beat #1 Alabama that year, finished 11-2 ranked #8 by the AP in 2011 and currently stand #10 at 10-2 finishing 2nd in the SEC east. Florida State is ranked #12 now. We are all waiting for some useful suggestions based on some facts.

Nov 25, 2012, 6:44 PM

This whole talk of firing Dabo is absolutely a waste of time and quite honestly STUPID! Dabo is not going anywhere nor should he.

But Say we did fire Dabo - what decent coach would want to come to a place where having a 10-2 season after winning a Conference Championship and your division twice in 4 years is not good enough to keep the job??

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

One that sees we should be far better and could be playing

Nov 25, 2012, 7:06 PM

for national titles. We did what you posted b/c the ACC is pathetic not b/c Dabo has made us better.

let's talk real numbers....

Nov 25, 2012, 6:52 PM

Back to back 10 win seasons
3 division championships in 4 years
2 ACC championship appearances
1 ACC Championship
Undefeated on the road this year
13 home winning streak
BCS appearance

Go ahead and cherry pick the facts that back up your Dabo hating. At the end of the day the program is still moving forward. As long as it's doing that, he'll be here.

Don't give the ACC stinks chit, it stunk in 1980 when only one other conference team was rated besides Clemson.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1981_Clemson_Tigers_football_team

Now remember we plasy more games than the 80s and the

Nov 25, 2012, 7:09 PM

ACC is barely better than a mid major conference, in fact, ACC teams lost to mid majors this year. This is the worst the ACC has ever been.

You Dabo pumpers, ACC lovers, are missing the point. We are winning the tallest man competition in a contest full of midgets.

Re: Now remember we plasy more games than the 80s and the

Nov 25, 2012, 7:18 PM

how many 10 win teams are in the country? and isnt football and all sports about how many wins you have at the end of the year?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 25, 2012, 7:40 PM

Wow! While I agree that great coaches make an immediate difference, to blame Dabo for beating bad teams that are required to be on the schedule is beyond silly. You might as well call Chris Peterson a bad coach too. The real question to be answered is, "Is Clemson football making progress?" Clearly, the answer is yes. The losses this year were respectable to excellent teams. We had some chance to win them. Yesterday's game was the most competitive since the last win, and if it weren't for the refs robbing 14 seconds off the clock at the end of the first half, and two very convenient and more than questionable pass interference calls at the end of the game, we might have seen an overtime and a possible win (third down difficulties aside on offense and defense).

Let's look at Spurrier's record at USC for those who believe that great coaches make an immediate impact. In Spurrier's first five years, he was 35-27. He was 18-22 in the SEC. SS was 30-9 in the last three years, 17-7 in the SEC.

Dabo has been 39-21 overall, 26-11 in the ACC in 4 1/2 years. He has made significant coaching changes and I suspect we haven't seen the last one yet. These are tough decisions but he has made a move in the right direction each time.

If you argue that Clemson was in better shape than when Spurrier took control at USC, I would disagree. Under TB, Clemson slipped into mediocrity (although USC was more mediocre during SS's first five years). Clemson never had more than 9 wins under TB. The quality of our recruits is consistently better. SS has been building better recruiting classes over time and now it shows. USC has never been better. Clemson is approaching that same "recruiting maturity period." The offense and defense have improved over last year. Next year should be better on the field for Dabo and company.

steeltiger..you have made the fatal mistake of arguing

Nov 25, 2012, 7:46 PM

facts with Tnet sunshine pumpers. never engage in debate with unarmed men....your tiger pulse will pay the price!

Re: Sorry, but losing to USUC four in a row is

Nov 26, 2012, 2:56 PM

unacceptable!!

Good points all around.

Nov 26, 2012, 3:22 PM

I don't care about beating inferior teams - that should be a given.

I don't care about setting records like passing yardage. We set those against Ball State and Duke. BFD. When it matters, we drop the ball.

I don't care about rah-rah cheerleading and tough words. When we face good teams, we lose. That is unacceptable.

Re: Good points all around.

Nov 26, 2012, 3:51 PM

With all of these coaching jobs open have you heard of anybody mention Dabo.That should say something!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Time for Dabo to go?

Nov 26, 2012, 3:58 PM

Most idiotic thing I have ever read, I am sure all kinda coches would want to come to a place where SteelTiger1 fired a coach after 10 wins.

Team Rankings

Nov 26, 2012, 4:21 PM

When Morris took over the offense last year we went from 84th to 24th nationally and this year we are number 6 in total offense. Venables took over a defense that was 71st nationally and now we are currently 75th. From what I see on the defense with the blitzing and different schemes I think we will see this number climb in the top 50 next year (we are young on that side of the ball). If we get everyone back on offense there is no reason to think we will no stay in the top 10 in that number.
Losing 4 in a row to South Carolina is unacceptable but the game on Saturday was not because of effort or someone not showing up. I don’t know what the 3rd down percentage was but Clemson just could not get off the field on defense. That allowed South Carolina’s defense to stay rested and caused all kind of tempo problems for our offense.
Bottom Line Dabo has turned this program around and is consistently winning games. The likely reason for this was his hiring of Morris but I really think Venables will take the defense to a higher level also. The ACC has been down before and we have not won anything in a long time before the last 5 seasons. The wins against South Carolina and the rest of FBS will come in bunches if we can keep this show together. My biggest fear is that when Morris leaves for a head coaching job the top 10 offense will go with him.
Go Tigers

Re: Team Rankings

Nov 26, 2012, 4:31 PM

The ACC was much worse this year then it was last year.That has to be factored in to the equation when you are comparing stats.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 26, 2012, 5:30 PM

I think 10-2 will keep his job

Replies: 72
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic