Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
For us older guys
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 5,453

For us older guys

Nov 2, 2016, 3:53 AM

I started going to Clemson games with my father in the late 50's. I can remember sitting thru some miserable games in rain and etc. in Sec. G, UG. He was old school and stayed thru the end of the game to support Clemson. Oh how I wish he were alive to be able to see this incredible success Clemson is having both on and off the field.....Enjoy the ride......Here's to you Pops.....

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: For us older guys

Nov 2, 2016, 4:33 AM

No doubt he is excited and seeing it!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Nov 3, 2016, 9:42 PM

Here's to all the Dads who helped us see the light and Go Tigers .

Nov 3, 2016, 9:57 PM

"Fuller, Butler, the Bostics, Stuckey, LB's Scott & Brown, etc."
How many of those guys did Parker recruit?

Nov 4, 2016, 12:38 AM

Fuller, Butler, Bostics', Stuckey, were all recruited by Red Parker!

Nov 2, 2016, 7:00 AM

Same here, except mid-50s. I was thinking after the FSU game that I wish he could have been here for it, but then I began to question whether his heart could have taken it! In fact, I wasn't sure mine was gonna last. Now, Mom and Dad are both watching from "the upper section" and if I know Mom, she will harass God until He, too, is a Tiger fan!

I miss you both! Go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Older guys........

Nov 2, 2016, 7:57 AM

I started Clemson in August of 1968.

The first football game we played after my enrollment was against Wake Forest and the game ended in a tie, 20-20. Over the next NINE football seasons, we posted EIGHT losing records. We regularly got the crap beaten out of us. We lost to Georgia 38-0, to Auburn 44-0, to Alabama 56-0, to Oklahoma 52-3. We lost to ACC foes by woeful margins. NCSU beat us 45-7, NC beat us 42-7, Maryland beat us 41-0. We lost to Rice and Tulane. We posted a three win season. We posted multiple four win seasons. We once went 2-9. South Carolina once beat us by a score of......Well, you know.

Those were the days when Clemson was not a part of big time college football. We did not play on television. We did not win championships. We did not play in bowls.

We have come a long long long way. Those of us who started school in the fall of 1968 were here for the very worst of times. And we have been here for the very best of times. I think those of us who were here for the bad times might appreciate the good times a bit more than most.

We've been here through it all. We'll be here until we die.

Go Tigers!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I started August 68 too. Have often said those were the worst

Nov 2, 2016, 8:37 AM

four years of Clemson football...Howard's last two and Hootie's first two. As you said, the next five weren't any better. It does make me appreciate our good times in the 1980's and especially the run we are on now. Go Tigers!

Re: I started August 68 too. Have often said those were the worst

Nov 3, 2016, 7:47 PM

November of 1963. My old friend that turn me onto Clemson has long ago passed, but I'm sure he has been very happy and proud of what Clemson has become since 2011.

Message was edited by: allorangeallthetime52®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I guess I am one of the older guys now

Nov 3, 2016, 8:49 PM [ in reply to Older guys........ ]

My first game at Clemson was in 1958 vs. UNC, which turned out to be Coach Howard's 100th win and I was 6. Very hot September day and I remember dad took my brother and me to sit under the tree that used to be where the DJ now sits adjacent to the west end zone, one of many trees that used to be inside the stadium. Dad was not a college grad but loved Clemson football and we just could not afford to go to games. As a result the next game I went to was as a freshman in 1970. I suffered thru 6 losing seasons as an undergrad and grad student. I did get to take my dad back to several games and well remember his waving his hat at the Notre Dame game in '77 and his really enjoying the shellacking we gave Georgia in '90. I know he is enjoying our current run as much as I am.

Re: Older guys........

Nov 3, 2016, 9:18 PM [ in reply to Older guys........ ]

I started August 67. Edgar McGee was tight end and president of the student body. We beat Roman Gabriel and NC State that year, but went downhill steadily. We lost to Kenny Stabler and BAMA 13-10 when our FG kicker (Steedly Candler) missed 3 FGS inside the 30. But, my freshman year was "good times" compared to the 5 years that followed.

I was there from 67-71 undergrad, then from 71-73 Masters... watched the same thing as you did. 42-7 loss to UNCheat... for Homecoming, for crying out loud. So, I can honestly say, I felt your pain.

However, since my first Tiger ballgame in 1954 to my most recent one two weeks against Nancy State, I have screamed for my Tigers from the opening KO till the final gun... and that will never change!

Go Tigers!

My Dad came to the Bama game and sat with me in the student

Nov 4, 2016, 7:12 AM

section that year. He passed away 2 years ago and didn't get to share 2 of our best years with us. He would have been so proud of where we are now.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 3, 2016, 10:35 AM [ in reply to Re: For us older guys ]

What the hey. My first game of memory was the 1959 Bluebonnet Bowl. We beat TCU 7 zero. Playing football with friends in the backyard, getting updates from the radio.........GO TIGERS!!!!!!!!!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 3, 2016, 8:51 PM

Actually we won 23-7 with a second half rally. Had lost the previous year to LSU 0-7. I remember watching both on little old black and white TV at the grandmom's house.

He's got the best seats in the house ...

Nov 2, 2016, 7:34 AM

...and a LOT of loyal Tigers with him savoring every second.

And don't worry. When we return to the national championship they're gonna have a party to end all parties.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 2, 2016, 7:56 AM
Grams Gang.jpg(559.0 K)

Hear, Hear wwstead!!

My mother - Grams to her grandkids, and now Grams to us all - has also passed, and tho' we weren't ticket holders during her life, and she didn't make the games, she LOVED those Tigers!

AND she is always with us at our tailgate!

GO TIGERS!!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Nov 2, 2016, 8:45 AM

Started going in 1956.

Nov 2, 2016, 8:48 AM

I started attending Clemson games regularly as a married student 1966. Had so much fun. Would never ever ever have left a game early no matter how bad things got.
These really are great times to be a Tiger fan, but it always has been.

Nov 2, 2016, 8:51 AM

Started in Aug of 1970.

Tiger Band 70-74

I've always thought that I lucked up... started CU in the

Nov 2, 2016, 9:25 AM

fall of 1975 and had to suffer through the tailend of our God-awful period. We went 2-9 my freshman year and got hammered by everybody... (Bama 56-0, GA 35-7, NCS 45-7, FSU 43-7, SCAR 56-20). We were absolutely one of the worst teams in the country.

1976 wasn't much better record-wise, we were 3-6-2, but the games were very different, we were competitive in almost all of them, and had a lot of close losses to go with those 2 ties. So you could see a glimmer of hope for the future. Especially since a lot of our best players were very young. Fuller, Butler, the Bostics, Stuckey, LB's Scott & Brown, etc.

Red Parker was fired and Charlie Pell came in and led us to that magical year of 1977. 8-3-1, first bowl game in 20 years, first win in Athens since 1914, close loss to Notre Dame who had Joe Montana and won nat'l title, the classic Fuller-to-Butler win over the Chicken Necks. Then we took the next step in 1978 and went 11-1, finished the year ranked #6, and sent Woody Hayes packing.

So I was there for "the turnaround"...to see us go from one of the worst teams in the nation to one of the best.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A drunk will run a STOP sign, but a stoner will wait for it to turn green.

I started going ..

Nov 2, 2016, 10:11 AM

in mid 60's but not to every game. Games stared at 1 pm and were usually over by 3:30. It was a treat to go because if Clemson was on TV, it was once a year. Listened to most games on the radio. Started Clemson with Hootie in 1970 - saw some miserable football while in school. My dad was a 50 year IPTAY man until he passed away 16 years ago. Like others have noted, he would relish what we are doing now. He went to all the bowl games starting in the 50's. I have some vintage pennants / pins from those early bowl games - really special mementos.

Re: I've always thought that I lucked up... started CU in the

Nov 2, 2016, 10:36 AM [ in reply to I've always thought that I lucked up... started CU in the ]

Was there from '72-76 and suffered through much of that. But in 1974 we got a commemorative Pepsi bottle for an undefeated home season! Fast forward to 2015 and we go undefeated and play in the National Championship game but no Pepsi bottle. Times have changed - for the better!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Nov 2, 2016, 11:34 AM

"Excitement Galore in 1974"!

Nov 3, 2016, 8:50 PM [ in reply to I've always thought that I lucked up... started CU in the ]

That Notre Dame game is my all time favorite I think! ??

Nov 3, 2016, 9:32 PM

My favorite ND game happened two years later in 1979. My family was living in Indiana at the time, and my wife and I went to the game, which Clemson won 16-10. As we were walking back to the parking lot, a Notre Dame "fan" dressed up as a leprechaun jeered at my wife, "Hey? Where's Clemson?" She responded, "Ask Woody Hayes... he knows!" Did you ever see a Notre Dame fan speechless? I did!

Me too. I grew up on a farm not to far from the campus. I

Nov 2, 2016, 10:01 AM

remember my grandparents giving the farm agent giving two dollars for the athletic program each year. They never saw a game. Just listened on the radio! My grandmother would jump higher than a cheerleader on a first down!

I wish they could see what Clemson has become today. O yea, they understood me going to Wofford a hundred years ago before written books were invented. I also redeemed myself when I came back to Clemson. ;)

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tiger/Terrier

Great post. My Dad started in 1962 and took me

Nov 2, 2016, 10:03 AM

to my first game in '74. He's 79 and still going to the games. It's been a great family tradition and a tremendous ride.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Here to the Hootie's and Parker Days!

Nov 2, 2016, 1:02 PM

I am thankful those days are in the past!

Replies: 27
| visibility 5,453
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic