Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
For those worried about 2016's Defense.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 36
| visibility 1

For those worried about 2016's Defense.

Jan 13, 2016, 6:54 PM

2016 Potential Defensive Starters by Position:

Safety: Van Smith, Jadar Johnson, Tanner Muse
Van smith and Jadar Johnson both played great in the blowout win in Miami.
Tanner is listed as a line backer but is 6’4” I can’t imagine him not playing
safety with depth at linebacker.

Cornerback: Cordrea Tankersley, Korrin Wiggins, Ryan Carter, Adrian Baker
I bet you forgot about wiggins, what a relief it is to have him coming back.
Tank was a stud all year so those too will hold down the ship with a little help
from carter and baker when necessary.

Line Backers: Ben Boulware, Rashaun (Shaq) Smith, Kendall Joseph, Dorian O’Daneil, Jalen Williams
Im not sure on Boulwares NFL status as of yet but if he comes back he will continue to dominate.
Expect Shaq smith to start right away, he is one of our biggest recruits in a long time. Kendall Joseph
and Jalen williams both showed what they could do in relief this year and they looked great. Dorian O’daniel
also contributed when called upon and was an absolute stud on special teams.

Defensive End: Richard Yeargin, Austin Bryant, Xavier Kelly
Austin Bryant and Yeargin were called upon all year and stepped up
every single time, especially in the Natty champ game. Xavier Kelly is a big
time recruit who I expect to see the field a lot as a freshman.

Defensive Tackle: Christian Wilkins, Scott Pagano, Carlos Watkins, Dexter Lawrence, Nyles Pinckney
This is a position where the tigers seem to have depth year in and year out. It is uncertain what Carlos Watkins
plans are at the moment but I am going to resume he will return and continue to produce for this defense.
Scott pagano made big plays when called upon and christian wilkins was nothing short of a freshman - phenom.
Big Dex is the biggest recruit clemson has ever landed, rated as the number 1 DT and number 1 Athlete overall
in the country, he will be an immediate starter in my opinion. Nyles is a another huge recruit that will see playing time.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: For those worried about 2016's Defense.

Jan 13, 2016, 7:01 PM

safety- you left out Gibson
Wiggins doesn't play corner
And I believe u are getting Dex confused with Gary

Dont forget Trè Lamar

Jan 13, 2016, 7:07 PM

The guy is a bruiser.
Ear holes will be HIT!!!!

Cricket Chirp Temperature Formula:
Number of Chirps per 14 seconds + 40 = Approximate Temperature

Jan 13, 2016, 7:04 PM

Boulware def ain't going pro and I would be shocked if R. Smith starts next yr

He may not start but will def see significant PT

Jan 13, 2016, 7:52 PM

him and Lamar both. Besides Boulware we don't have anyone that has seen significant PT when it's mattered. Joseph has looked good and will be the other starter that leaves on LB spot to be filled with Blanks leaving and then the nickel spot which will probably be filled by O'Daniel or Wiggins. My guess is O'Daniel plays nickel and Wiggins probably gets moved back to free safety with Jadar taking over at strong safety. Lamar and Smith rotate with Williams in the other LB spot until someone stands out enough to be the main guy.

A lot of talent on your list an you left a few off

Jan 13, 2016, 7:06 PM

Jeffery Gibson at safety.
Tre Lamar at linebacker. He is an incoming freshman stud.
Clelin Ferrel at DE. He almost avoided a redshirt this year.
Sterling Johnson at DT played well in relief.

We will be loaded but less experience.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: A lot of talent on your list an you left a few off

Jan 13, 2016, 7:17 PM

Forgive me if Germans... But reading through many of today's posts, it seems the general consensus is that Tre Lamar > Rashaun Smith.

Last I checked, wasn't it the other way around in the recruiting rankings, by at least 5 places? Both are nearly identical in weight and height. I'm just curious as to everyone's thoughts. 247 had Smith at a 95 and Lamar at or around a 91 last time I had researched the two.

Jan 13, 2016, 7:24 PM

Posted: Jan 13, 2016 7:17 PM

Forgive me if Germans... But reading through many of today's posts, it seems the general consensus is that Tre Lamar > Rashaun Smith.

Last I checked, wasn't it the other way around in the recruiting rankings, by at least 5 places? Both are nearly identical in weight and height. I'm just curious as to everyone's thoughts. 247 had Smith at a 95 and Lamar at or around a 91 last time I had researched the two.

I think it just depends on which recruiting service you look at for rankings.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 14, 2016, 7:11 AM [ in reply to Re: A lot of talent on your list an you left a few off ]

From what I have seen I believe Lamar plays before Shaq. He looks bigger, stronger, and about the SAMs speed. I hope they both play alot next year. Time will tell.

Jan 13, 2016, 7:54 PM [ in reply to A lot of talent on your list an you left a few off ]

Rahshaun smith is the second highest rated recruit besides dexter Lawrence since bowers at a position with the most readily available chance for an early enrollee to play. Lamar and he are both great but smith dominated practices at the UA game as well as Lamar and they both played ok. Ben mans the WLB position which is typically manned by a stockier, stronger, run support typ player- shuey, steward, and Ben. The MLB is a more athletic position like Anthony played. BJ filled in there but is more of a WLB as well. Lamar is definitely the hulk of the 2 and while he doesn't move quite as well is still capable of playing the MLB. Smith is tailor made in Anthony 's image. He came here because venables wanted him there and Anthony and he became close during the early recruitin process. Smith will likely have the easiest chance to earn the MLB spot this year.

Lamar defensive player of the year in Ga.***

Jan 13, 2016, 11:13 PM [ in reply to A lot of talent on your list an you left a few off ]

Jan 13, 2016, 7:11 PM

Accidentally grouped wiggins with corners, and how could I forget Tre Lamar and gibson! Thanks for pointing that out

Don't forget Huggins and Chad Smith

Jan 13, 2016, 7:14 PM

Ty

Don't forget Huggins and Chad Smith

Jan 13, 2016, 7:14 PM

Ty

Jan 13, 2016, 7:17 PM

I thought all sighs were pointing to Tankersley and Carlos Watkins declaring? Thought I read that Watkins was a 60% lean to the NFL and Tankersly was 90%. Could be wrong though.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 13, 2016, 9:31 PM

Didn't see any mention of the Davis twins in the LB slot or Trapp with the DBs listed. No one think they're going to compete for playing time?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

Jan 14, 2016, 12:47 AM

Neither one of the Davis twins have a sliver of a chance to start at any LB spot next yr. if either one of them is starting next year, we are in a world of trouble

Jan 13, 2016, 9:34 PM

How effect do you think they will be?
Or will our "d" need another year to be completely dominant

You left out

Jan 14, 2016, 12:05 AM

M. Fields, Tre Lamar, C. Ferrel & A. Hugins

Re: You left out

Jan 14, 2016, 12:08 AM

Bottom line is the rich keep gettin richer and Clemson is finally is in that group. I was worried honestly until I read your list. Now, I can't wait for spring ball! LOL!!! Offensively, we have an overflow of riches except for the O Line, right?

Re: You left out

Jan 14, 2016, 3:46 AM

Yea but O line will be good. 3 starters returning and plenty of young talent with some experience now.

Jan 14, 2016, 12:28 AM

I know I left a ton of guys out of this list but I was listing who I think will start, not who is still here. One of the last comments mentioned Mark Fields, he is definitely in the conversation for increased playing time, especially because of his speed. I've heard he has ran as low as a mid 4.2 40, that is huge for replacing TJ Green's downfield speed which made a lot of touchdown saving tackles. As far as the Davis twins, It is still so early, they could be starters next year for all I know. The reason I feel that Shaq Smith could be a starter next year over other guys is because of his recruiting grade, what I've seen watching him and his athleticism, and the fact that he is a mid year enrolee. Theres no telling who's gonna start at this point at the three LB spots but all I know is we are rich with talent!

Tre Lamaar might be starting.**

Jan 14, 2016, 2:28 AM

nm

Mark Fields***

Jan 14, 2016, 4:34 AM

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

I'm not worried about anything.

Jan 14, 2016, 5:10 AM

Well making this 722 Mercedes Benz transmission shift correctly, maybe.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 14, 2016, 6:13 AM

I don't know why so many people think that Smith and Lamar are going to come in and be huge impacts. Doesn't anyone remember how much Stephone Anthony sucked his first year? I know it was a different scheme, but LBs have a tough job and a lot to learn.

Jan 14, 2016, 7:13 AM

Are their names Stephons Anthony???

Jan 14, 2016, 7:13 AM [ in reply to Re: For those worried about 2016's Defense. ]

Are their names Stephone Anthony???

Jan 14, 2016, 9:43 AM

Eloquent response... Yeah their names are "Stephone Anthony" *rolleyes*. The POINT ISN'T that they are Stephone Anthony, IT IS that LB is a tough position to understand and play well as a true freshman regardless of how highly rated the prospect is, e.g. former 5 Star prospect Stephone Anthony.

The main reason I think Te Lamar will start

Jan 14, 2016, 9:52 AM

Is that he's highly intelligent along with his freakish athletic abilities.

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

Re: The main reason I think Te Lamar will start

Jan 14, 2016, 10:05 AM

I do think of the two that Lamar is more college ready than Smith.

Jan 14, 2016, 9:19 PM [ in reply to Re: For those worried about 2016's Defense. ]

Don't forget Tony Steward.

I haven't seen Dexter Lawrence rated higher

Jan 14, 2016, 6:41 AM

than Rashan Gary at DT by any recruiting service. And you're forgetting about Da'Quan Bowers when you claim that Dexter is the top rated recruit the Tigers have ever gotten. That said, I'm with you in thinking the D will be solid next year. Losing the safeties may actually be a positive. I hope Tank comes back...heard he may thinking about turning pro as well.

Re: I haven't seen Dexter Lawrence rated higher

Jan 14, 2016, 7:54 PM

Gary is the higher recruit that was my mistake, and my guess is Tank is going to stay.

What about Albert Huggins***

Jan 14, 2016, 9:58 AM

Yep he forgot Huggins and Lamar***

Jan 14, 2016, 9:10 PM

Jan 14, 2016, 8:54 PM

I feel better now.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Replies: 36
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic