Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
For those who have roots in Sumter
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

For those who have roots in Sumter

Aug 5, 2020, 8:22 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ipx9OwV8H5Q

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I’ve never been, but I do know a guy from there.

Aug 5, 2020, 10:51 AM

He refers to it as Dumpster.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

"Dumpster"???

Aug 5, 2020, 1:58 PM

Sounds like your friend is a transplant . . .

One Question for your Friend: How can a town that has produced Nancy O'dell, Shawn Weatherly, Ray Allen (actually grew up in Dalzell, SC just outside of Sumter) and Terry Kinard be a "dumpster"?!!!

Just for the Rulz:

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He was born and raised there, but no longer lives there.

Aug 5, 2020, 2:05 PM

It was mostly a joke.

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

I took it as such . . .

Aug 5, 2020, 2:14 PM

until I didn't . . .

We're good . . . It's a tough town . . . Nothing is given to you . . . It's too close to Cola and our mascot is a coot, so in that respect, it is a full blown Dumpster!!!

Re: I’ve never been, but I do know a guy from there.

Aug 5, 2020, 2:27 PM [ in reply to I’ve never been, but I do know a guy from there. ]

Your friend must live on the wrong side of the tracks. I spent the first 18 years of my life there and you could not ask for a better town to grow up in. Great people, slow pace town, great place to raise a family. Great sports town with the possibly the best YMCA in the state. Back then summer league basketball was big in Sumter. On our summer league team we had one guy who did not break the starting lineup even though he was on a college basketball scholarship. Sumter High won a few state football championships and at least one basketball state title. When I was in high school Freddie Solomon (who was in the NFL then) would come to our spring football practices and workout with the team to get in shape, that was one quick dude. If you don't know him Google Fabulous Freddie Solomon. If there were stars back then he would have been the state's first 5 star high school recruit.
Unfortunately his low grades prevented him from going to a major college. We also had a nice looking crop of women. As good looking as Shawn Weatherly was I don't think she was the prettiest girl on her street. In the early 70's Sumter resident, Bobby Richardson help the YMCA raise money so he asked some of his friends to come to Riley Ball Park for a fund raising exhibition. Mickey Mantle and a few other Yankees came.
Lake Marion is only 35 minutes away (spent a lot of my youth on a slalom). The beach is 90 minutes away. I moved away 40 years ago. I'm sure its changed but it was pretty cool back then.

Goodness, I’m sorry I said anything.

Aug 5, 2020, 2:32 PM

I thought people would see the humor in it.

Re: Goodness, I’m sorry I said anything.

Aug 5, 2020, 2:34 PM

NO problem

Re: Goodness, I’m sorry I said anything.

Aug 5, 2020, 4:32 PM [ in reply to Goodness, I’m sorry I said anything. ]

I always thought of it as Cootlumbia.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: For those who have roots in Sumter

Aug 5, 2020, 3:00 PM

What is the mascot of their HS football team?

Aug 5, 2020, 3:37 PM

Gamecock but named for "The Gamecock" Thomas Sumter NOT the chicken

Aug 5, 2020, 4:44 PM

That's what I thought

Aug 5, 2020, 6:33 PM

Clemson Graduate and mega successful contractor Gregg Thompson has transformed the downtown Sumter area almost single handedly. One of the top 5 restaurants in the state(Hamptons) a brand new brew pub https://sumteroriginalbrewery.com/ a refurbished grand opera house and many other updated establishments can be attributed to him.
I live in Lake City and me and my wife drive the 45 minutes one way at least once a month to eat at Hamptons. It rivals many of the highly praised restaurants in Charleston and beats anything in Columbia.

Sumter is unfortunately Coot Country.

Aug 5, 2020, 6:50 PM

Abandon All Hope.....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Sumter is unfortunately Coot Country.

Aug 5, 2020, 7:36 PM

My 2 daughter's mother grew up there in the 70s and 80s (1986 graduate of Thomas Sumter ) , and I spent quite a bit of time in Sumter chasing her affections in the late 80s .
I have no problem with it , but I am not in the camp of finding it any more special than anywhere else in South Carolina .
I will always be thankful for her and her contributions to this world and to our lives as she passed suddenly in 2012 , and Sumter will always be a part of my memories of her .

DB23

Re: Sumter is unfortunately Coot Country.

Aug 5, 2020, 7:36 PM [ in reply to Sumter is unfortunately Coot Country. ]

My 2 daughter's mother grew up there in the 70s and 80s (1986 graduate of Thomas Sumter ) , and I spent quite a bit of time in Sumter chasing her affections in the late 80s .
I have no problem with it , but I am not in the camp of finding it any more special than anywhere else in South Carolina .
I will always be thankful for her and her contributions to this world and to our lives as she passed suddenly in 2012 , and Sumter will always be a part of my memories of her .

DB23

I married a Sumter girl

Aug 5, 2020, 8:31 PM

Great town with great people...not totally unlike my hometown, Orangeburg

Thanks for sharing

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I married a Sumter girl

Aug 5, 2020, 8:38 PM

I find orangeburg and Sumter pretty similar, the city and people.

Re: I married a Sumter girl

Aug 6, 2020, 7:49 AM

Written and performed by Hank Martin. I knew Hank lived in Bishopville, 22 miles from Sumter, before moving there. He was in the group Second Nature and went to Nashville where he had a sucessfull career writting and performing. He has written many successful commercial jingles, Nationwide is on Your Side; GE, It Brings Good Things to Life; Raisin Brand, 2 Scoops of Raisins in Every Box! His brother in law, Archie Jordan from Sumter wrote the No 1 hit It's Almost Like A Song for Ronnie Milsap!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have heard Sumter referred to lovingly as

Aug 6, 2020, 9:23 AM [ in reply to I married a Sumter girl ]

"Orangeburg with an air base"

I have deep family ties to both towns, and agree that they are very similar in a lot of ways

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic