Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
For the rules experts..
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

For the rules experts..

Nov 9, 2015, 12:22 PM

How was the tackle on Dalvin Cook's touchdown run called a personal foul, but the tackle on Ray Ray McCloud near the end of the half when the defender pulled him down by the head not?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

judgement?***

Nov 9, 2015, 12:23 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: judgement?***

Nov 9, 2015, 12:25 PM

Some really BAD judgement

it happens.***

Nov 9, 2015, 12:28 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: For the rules experts..

Nov 9, 2015, 12:28 PM

It looked to me like the Cook tackle was a house horse collar. The tackle on RR was definitely not a face mask.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If that was called a horsecollar

Nov 9, 2015, 12:31 PM

Then it was both wrong, and wrongly called on the field as it was called a dead-ball penalty.

The tackle on Ray Ray was not a facemask

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The only thing it could've been is a horse collar tackle.

Nov 9, 2015, 12:34 PM

And if you watch the replay it was indeed a horse collar. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the ACC clowns officiated it incorrectly, but it was a penalty one way or another.

Re: The only thing it could've been is a horse collar tackle.

Nov 9, 2015, 12:39 PM

horse collar is when you grab the back of the shoulder pads, Tankersley wrapped his arms completely around Cook. It definitely wasn't a horse collar.

His hands were not inside the jersey/on the pads

Nov 9, 2015, 12:43 PM [ in reply to The only thing it could've been is a horse collar tackle. ]

Its not a horsecollar to bring down a defender by their neck/shoulder

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The only thing it could've been is a horse collar tackle.

Nov 9, 2015, 12:43 PM [ in reply to The only thing it could've been is a horse collar tackle. ]

Is there a new definition of horse-collar I'm not aware of??
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horse-collar_tackle
"The horse-collar tackle is an American football maneuver in which a defender tackles another player by grabbing the back collar and or the back-inside of an opponent's shoulder pads and pulling the ball carrier directly downward in order to pull his feet from underneath him."

I don't see his hands anywhere near the back collar nor the back inside of the shoulder pads:

Absolutely was not a horse collar tackle

Nov 9, 2015, 1:07 PM [ in reply to The only thing it could've been is a horse collar tackle. ]

But it's also not something that they can review, so long story short it was just another crappy call by the refs.

T&C - respectfully TOTALLY disagree. NOT a horse collar

Nov 9, 2015, 3:14 PM [ in reply to The only thing it could've been is a horse collar tackle. ]

by ANY stretch.

You can see both of our guy's hands on the FRONT of the semihole player as he is pulled down.

And that is the same perspective the ref had as he threw the flag.

And it was called a dead ball personal foul . . . but the flag was thrown while the play was still happening.

Flagged very much DURING the play.

No where near a horse collar as seen from the flagging officials perspective.

Called a dead ball personal foul.

What the Magillacutty ? ? ?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Re: If that was called a horsecollar

Nov 9, 2015, 12:40 PM [ in reply to If that was called a horsecollar ]

photo 67530ef2-8073-416f-8116-ae6336423869_zpsagngst0r.jpg

the final act or penalty happened as dalvin crossed the goal at which point the clock stops and i'd imagine the why it's called a dead ball penalty?

just spit ballin' here of course.

Then it's just a blown call

Nov 9, 2015, 12:42 PM

Because you have to actually grab the pads (inside the jersey) for it to be a horsecollar. The defender has his hand on the shoulder/neck. Bad call

idk, the action started at the 5-6 and dragging DC down

Nov 9, 2015, 12:47 PM

backwards from the shoulder pad created the call.

it was a dead ball though.

Nov 9, 2015, 12:47 PM [ in reply to Re: If that was called a horsecollar ]

Bad angle...look at my pic above yours...hands were on the shoulder the entire time.

yours is on the five yard line, soon after CT drops the left

Nov 9, 2015, 12:57 PM

then drags dalvin down backwards as the right falls back on the shoulder.

for the record, my response was directed at the reason for dead ball call, but it's not hard to see at full speed why the horsecollar could be called.

i'd be interested if this is one of the plays/calls that makes its way to the ACC office for purposes of clarity/review.

Re: yours is on the five yard line, soon after CT drops the left

Nov 9, 2015, 1:04 PM

I can see from the wrong angle how it'd be a call, definitely. Full speed from the original angle, did look like one...the replay IMO, it looks like he just had his hand on his upper shoulder and pulled him down (not utilizing the jersey neck opening, nor the back of the pads)

Really doesn't matter as much, as it happened in the end zone so didn't affect the TD.

yeah, i didn't have an issue with either part of the call.

Nov 9, 2015, 1:10 PM

it's a player safety issue[letter of the law collar or no, the hand was "there"] which is a hot point and i'd hope gallman[or any] would get the same the way it unfolded.

Re: yeah, i didn't have an issue with either part of the call.

Nov 9, 2015, 1:20 PM

I personally didnt think either one was a penalty but if you call one i think you have to call the other. IMO the tackle on ray ray was more dangerous than the one on DC.

fine, it was a dead ball call, which is what i offered.

Nov 9, 2015, 1:25 PM

right, wrong or indifferent you guys have at it, but one call does not mandate another.

Nov 9, 2015, 12:50 PM [ in reply to Re: If that was called a horsecollar ]

looks on the collar to me.***

Nov 9, 2015, 12:58 PM

Re: looks on the collar to me.***

Nov 9, 2015, 1:01 PM

That's his upper shoulder...horse collar is on the back collar. He's not grabbing and pulling at the neck opening in either of those, hand is just pressing/pulling back on the shoulder area.

i know a horse collar can include the side according to

Nov 9, 2015, 1:23 PM

Article 15[?], just not sure what constitutes "all of the side", but it's not just the "back" collar - jersey or pad.

again, i'm really not that worried about the call as the action, the backwards knee buckle and relative position created it.

player safety is kewl by me and CT could have avoided it.

It wasn't

Nov 9, 2015, 1:05 PM

I thought we were called for off sides on that play.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There were two fouls, second assessed on the kick off***

Nov 9, 2015, 1:06 PM

Re: It wasn't

Nov 9, 2015, 1:09 PM [ in reply to It wasn't ]

They did call that one...penalty was declined. Then they stated after the play was over, personal foul on the defense...penalty to be instated on the kickoff.

LOL. You guys that can't even admit that that was a

Nov 9, 2015, 3:10 PM

horse collar tackle (or at least #### close enough to call in real time without still frame analysis) are realllly kool-aid drinking homers.

It's not like it mattered anyway.

It was not, by rule, a horsecollar

Nov 9, 2015, 7:10 PM

Of course i could've been called in real time (mistakenly), but adding to the confusion is that it was not announced as a live-ball foul which is what the horsecollar would've been.

Re: LOL. You guys that can't even admit that that was a

Nov 9, 2015, 7:26 PM [ in reply to LOL. You guys that can't even admit that that was a ]

Technically, a horse collar tackles requires 1 of 2 things:
1) gabbing at the opening of the jersey (typically at the back) and using it to pull the guy down
2) grabbing at the shoulderpads in the back to pull the guy down

Does it take still frame to see it wasn't, no, you can see it just as clearly on the game's replay)...real time, it looked close enough to call it though if the ref didn't have that exact angle of the camera-man, so it is understandable to be called. Still wasn't one though.

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic