Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
For the old country gentlemen on this board...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1,993

For the old country gentlemen on this board...

Aug 27, 2014, 10:32 AM

and the youngsters unfamiliar with him. I saw Lewis Grizzard's name on this board and it got me thinking. I am cutting and pasting an old column of his from the AJC from 1984.

Great moments in a would be father’s life

To my Son, if I ever have one:

Kid, I am writing this on September 3, 1984. I have just returned from Athens, where I spent Saturday watching the University of Georgia, your old dad’s alma matter, play football against Clemson.

While the events of the day were still fresh on my mind, I wanted to recount them so if you are ever born, you can read this and perhaps be able to share one of the great moments in your father’s life.

Saturday was a wonderful day on the Georgia campus.

We are talking blue, cloudless sky, a gentle breeze and a temperature suggesting summer’s end and autumn’s approach.

I said the blessing before we had lunch. I thanked the Lord for three things: fried chicken, potato salad and for the fact he had allowed me the privilege of being a Bulldog.

“And , Dear Lord,” I prayed, “bless all those not as fortunate as I.”

Imagine my son, 82,000 people, most whom were garbed in red, gathered together gazing down on a lush valley of hedge and grass where soon historic sporting combat would be launched.

Clemson was ranked number 2 in the nation, and Georgia, feared too young to compete with the veterans from beyond the river, could only dream, the smart money said, of emerging three hours hence victorious.

They had us 20-6 at the half, son. A man sitting in front of me said, “I just hope we don’t get embarrassed.”

My boy, I had never seen such a thing as came to pass in the second half. Todd Williams threw one long and high, and Herman Archie caught it in the end zone, and it was now 20-13.

Georgia got the ball again and scored again, and it was now 20-20, and my mouth was dry, and my hands were shaking, and this Clemson fan who had been running his mouth the whole ballgame suddenly shut his fat face.

Son, we got ahead 23-20, and the ground trembled and shook, and many were taken by fainting spells.

Clemson’s kicker, Donald Igwebuike, tied it 23-23 and this sacred place became the center of the universe.

Only seconds were left when Georgia’s kicker, Kevin Butler, stood poised in concentration. The ball rushed toward him, and it was placed upon the tee a heartbeat before his right foot launched it heavenward.

A lifetime later, the officials threw their arms aloft. From 60 yards away, Kevin Butler had been true, and Georgia led and would win 26-23.

I hugged perfect strangers and kissed a fat lady on the mouth. Grown men wept. Lightening flashed. Thunder rolled. Stars fell, and joy swept through, fetched by a hurricane of unleashed emotions.

When Georgia beat Alabama 18-17 in 1965, it was a staggering victory. When we came back against Georgia Tech and won 29-28 in1978, the Chapel bell rang all night. When we beat Florida 26-21 in the last seconds in 1980, we called it a miracle. And when we beat Notre Dame 17-10 in the Sugar Bowl that same year for the national championship, a woman pulled up her skirt and showed the world the Bulldog she had sewn on her underbritches.

But Saturday may have been even better than any of those.

Saturday in Athens was a religious experience.

I give this to you, son. Read it and re-read it, and keep it next to your heart. And when people want to know how you wound up with the name “Kevin” let them read it, and then they will know.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Somewhere there's still a trash can in orbit...

Aug 27, 2014, 10:37 AM

...where I kicked it at the end of that game.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Somewhere there's still a trash can in orbit...

Aug 27, 2014, 10:52 AM

I think that they call it space junk now;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I tried to catch my mother's lamp after it suddenly became

Aug 27, 2014, 11:07 AM [ in reply to Somewhere there's still a trash can in orbit... ]

airborne, but the only thing that stopped it was the power cord and gravity. It was a nice lamp.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I remember listening to this game on the radio.

Aug 27, 2014, 3:07 PM [ in reply to Somewhere there's still a trash can in orbit... ]

11 years old. I threw up when he made that field goal. I remember my mom saying to me after watching me throw up over a football game "I guess we know where you are going to college." Well, she was wrong about that because my Tigers would not give me the chance to play tennis, but that is beside the point...

WARNING: all material posted by kfast600 is not to be taken seriously and can make you dumber than you were before, if that is actually possible.

Re: For the old country gentlemen on this board...

Aug 27, 2014, 10:39 AM

I remember the headline the next day like it happened yesterday:

"The Butler did it".

Same headline after Puntrooskie!***

Aug 27, 2014, 12:46 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yep..one of my most painful gut scars came that day

Aug 27, 2014, 10:44 AM

but, lewis grizzard was a real treasure..i remember one of his delightful books was called "shoot low boys, they're riding shetland ponies".

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GoTiguhs!!

Aug 27, 2014, 10:49 AM

We had 7 turnovers in that game, 5 by Eppley.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Like every other Tiger fan who was of age during that era,

Aug 27, 2014, 10:57 AM

I remember that game as if I was once again walking out of Sanford....and somewhere, trapped in some undefined dimension between space and time, there still floats a litany of expletives I unleashed to---well, no one in general. Then again, I also remember a certain Mr. Treadwell who returned the favor to Coach Dooley a couple of times as well.

There were hardly 2 better programs than Clemson's and UGa's during that era. Two schools less than a 100 miles apart were the showcases for college football and played some of best football I've ever seen .... in the late 70's through the 80's both teams were populated with players from NC, SC, Ga and North Fla....which also says something about HS football in the Southeast.

Every Clemson fan I've ever know enjoyed Grizzard's deeply Southern voice--despite the carflag he flew on Saturdays. Grizzard's column and that era of college football ended far too quickly.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And

Aug 27, 2014, 11:11 AM

it made Treadwell's back to back game winners in 86 in Athens and 87 in Clemson SO MUXH SWEETER!

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

My worst Ga memory , was watching the head coward in red

Aug 27, 2014, 11:12 AM

Call for a game tying fg from about the 3 yard line.....after we had stoned his Heisman winner for 2 plays.

Dooley never had a pair.

Had the clock operator not wasted 3 seconds

Aug 27, 2014, 11:21 AM

after our return guy runs out of bounds on about their 40 on the ensuing kickoff, that game ends differently.

One of the most blatant cases of officiating bias against us that I can recall.

I was getting ready to say this - and in addition

Aug 27, 2014, 1:58 PM

to that insult, the return man, whom I can't remember right now, was CLEARLY out of bounds when he was leveled.

Some memories fade from past games, but the kick and the ending are burned in my mind - as well as trying to get out of that stadium and parking lot.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 27, 2014, 11:24 AM

Grizzard fails to tell the whole story.

Butler's kick left 11 seconds on the clock, and after an excessive celebration penalty, the mutts were kicking off from the 25.

Clemson received the kick, started up the sideline and stopped the threw the ball back across the field to Terrance Roulak (sp). He sprinted down the sideline crossed midfield and was hit after going out of bounds at the 40. A flag flew. The crowd panicked...then another ref walked up and said the clock had expired and ran off the field.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

not another ref, Vince Dooley walked up to the referees

Aug 27, 2014, 12:32 PM

and declared the game was over.

We would have had a game-tying FG attempt from the 25 yard line if there had been a review (or a ref crew with enough balls to stand down Vince).

The clock clearly went ....2...1...0 AFTER he went OB

Aug 27, 2014, 1:05 PM [ in reply to Re: For the old country gentlemen on this board... ]

30 years and I still can't let it go...

:)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Me either. I can clearly see the clock to this day....

Aug 27, 2014, 2:01 PM

as well as that ### football going through the uprights.

I asked Danny one time about helium in the ball and he smiled and said he wouldn't put it past Dooley.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Those two FG games were classics.....Butler & Treadwell!

Aug 27, 2014, 2:10 PM

uga has given the world two good ones in Lewis Grizzard and Larry Munson.......both were "homers" but hard not to like!

and Treadwell won 2!***

Aug 27, 2014, 2:12 PM

Gotta love Grizzard- here's one of his classics

Aug 27, 2014, 4:20 PM [ in reply to Those two FG games were classics.....Butler & Treadwell! ]

http://youtu.be/vbs5JNiEGFw

Aug 27, 2014, 2:17 PM

This game and Puntrooski game my two worst feelings over the years.

Unfortunately, I witnessed the second one in person.

Gut wrenching

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 27, 2014, 2:38 PM

Yeah - but the fumble by Herschel Walker late in the game at CLEMSON allowed us to seal the "W" and go on to a NC. Thanks Walker.

THIS...is what the rivalry was about. Nothing like those

Aug 27, 2014, 4:15 PM

CU-UGA games of the 80's. Still consider UGA our true rival.

Replies: 23
| visibility 1,993
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic