Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Football schools that win in basketball
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1,678

Football schools that win in basketball

Feb 28, 2017, 9:56 PM

I am searching for reference points against which to model success - Clemson success - in basketball. Let's call success Conference championships and NCAA bids for now.

If you go by conference and look at football schools, you might have this list:

ACC:. FSU, VT. Maybe Miami, GT.
SEC: All but KY, Vandy, MO
B1G:. OSU, MI, NEB, Penn State, maybe WI
B12:. Texas, OK, Maybe OSU, Baylor, TCU
P10: USC, Maybe Oregon
Ind: Notre Dame

So, do any schools have a winning tradituon in Basketball or is it tied to a coach here and there?

Notre Dame - 35 NCAA bids (KY has 55)
Texas - 33
Arkansas - 30 (wow, never knew this)
Oklahoma - 30
Ohio State - 27
Ok. State - 27 (what's up with the state of OK?)
Mich - 22
Wisc - 22
LSU - 21
Tenn - 20
Bama - 19
UF - 17
GaTech - 16
Oregon - 15
FSU - 14
Texas A&M - 13
Georgia - 10
Clemson - 10
South Carolina - 8 (clearly a goal should be to have more bids than this team)

Some claim that demographics is a huge key.
Who is more similar, than less?
Notre Dame, in Notre Dame - 5,000 or so
Oklahoma State, Stillwater - 46,000 or so
Arkansas, Fayetteville - 73,000 or so

So there we have one target: Notre Dame

What is thier basketball history exactly?
(I think the last 17 years may be a better measure than all years, but more there later).

They have never won it all.
Last final four was 1978
Final 8 last year

Mike Brey, the coach, is in 17th year. (Nice fit to recent relevance period). He has one ACC conf. Championship. 11 NCAA bids. And one Big East championship. 2011 coach of the year.

Brey was an assistant at Duke and head coach at Delaware before ND.

Digger Phelps was at ND for 20 years. He went to NCAA 15 times.

So those two coaches are 26 of 35 bids.

Which leads to this. Shocker alert!

The coach is what makes or breaks the deal.

A coach that can recruit and win at the school, and wants to stay once they are winning (unlike say Rick Barnes).

The good news is that if Coach BB gets bids for the next 10 years straight, he will only be one behind Brey at this point! Go Brad, you are in the game!

If the powers that be opt for a new chapter, let's hope they find Clemson's unique version of Mine Brey.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You lost me with SEC

Feb 28, 2017, 10:07 PM

Winning against inferior teams in your own conference doesn't count. The only SEC teams with history of winning in football and basketball out of conference at the same time are TN and FL

$-EZ basketball is an absolute joke....

Feb 28, 2017, 10:23 PM

Year after year, the league is one of the worst if not the worst among the P5 conferences.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: $-EZ basketball is an absolute joke....

Feb 28, 2017, 10:37 PM

U calling Florida a joke? I don't give a crap about the sec and what they do or don't do. Success breeds success and athletes in all sports like to hang with the big dogs.

No doubt in my mind Clemson can be the leader. Too bad we can't clone Dabo. But BB is no Dabo. Too self centered.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Football schools that win in basketball

Feb 28, 2017, 10:29 PM

This is very well put together. I tend to agree with op about the sec. Arkansas had some decent years at both. But point is schools can have both.

We expect to be good in fb and baseball.... so why settle for mediocrity in bball.

To me it's a commitment to All athletics. More of a mindset that AD expects to compete at a high level in everything. Much like the Fla model, which I hate but their AD is correct and obviously good.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 28, 2017, 10:39 PM

lol Notre Dame is like the Unicorn of American Universities. It's uniqueness and history far outshine everyone else as a national brand and wouldn't exactly fit as a comparison for Clemson.

Just face it, historically compared to other ACC schools Clemson is second to last in overall winning % and a solid dead last for in conference winning %. We're not a major basketball school and NEVER have been. Honestly this talk of Conference Championships (plural) is almost as bad as the coots talking about NCG's. We are literally playing the best of the best in basketball. Our record against UNC is one of the worst in all of sports record books. Winning the ACC is basically like making a goal of being a final four team.

Can we be better? sure. We just improved facilities and Brad has his best recruiting class ever as freshmen. Lets see if he can build from there. Stop acting like we're just one Dabo away from consecutive finals appearances. We're not and if we did find a Dabo of basketball he would be hired to coach for UNC or Duke before we ever got to a final four.

Feb 28, 2017, 10:40 PM

Stats

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_Coast_Conference_men%27s_basketball

Feb 28, 2017, 11:48 PM

Exactly. In 64 years of ACC basketball we have 0 ACC tournement championships, 2 ACC championship game appearances, and 1 regular season championship. We are to ACC basketball what Wake Forest is to ACC football. People don't like to hear it but facts don't lie and other head coaches know these facts. If we can talk an up and coming coach into tackling that, I say great. If not, I'd stick with Brad.

Feb 28, 2017, 10:54 PM [ in reply to Re: Football schools that win in basketball ]

Not buying it. Sorry. No one ever said to win natty in bball but to at least build towards that. Why can't we find a billy Donavan?

Mar 1, 2017, 6:32 AM

Ark - Nolan Richardson had a strong program in the 80's, I think it was.

SC - good thing Maguire was at SC when there were 16 teams in the dance, they would have gone to a lot more. They were good when he was there in the 60's and early 70's. (Lew Alcindor visited before picking UCLA - SC was too racist for him).

No reason we can't be consistently better than we are.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 9
| visibility 1,678
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic