Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Football Update: Clemson issues iPads to all football players
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

Football Update: Clemson issues iPads to all football players

Aug 8, 2013, 9:07 PM

Clemson issues iPads to all football players

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Should have gone Android..alas...good stuff.***

Aug 8, 2013, 9:16 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask questions.

And have our playbook hacked, as a former Apple Employee

Aug 8, 2013, 9:36 PM

and a Clemson Student .. you gotta be crazy ... Yes android is more techie and you can do cool things, but has security issues and malware and well , doesnt just work like the ipad does

that is all

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Image hosting by Photobucket

Re: And have our playbook hacked, as a former Apple Employee

Aug 8, 2013, 11:52 PM

LOL, is that what they tell ya when you start working there?...is that why android share is hammering apple (and what's left of bberry) on deployed OS devices? Keep studying, then send a note when you graduate and I'll buy you a beer to discuss.

There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask questions.

Aug 9, 2013, 1:47 PM

supposedly the new blackberry is going to be better than both, but Ill believe it when I see it

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You mean the next new one or the new one just out?

Aug 11, 2013, 9:29 AM

Unless they give up and start running android (at which point they really have no added value of any kind the only folks that are hanging on to are the Microsoft exchange minions who still think their server is more secure, which is proving to not really be the case) ...they're cooked.

Aug 9, 2013, 12:06 AM [ in reply to And have our playbook hacked, as a former Apple Employee ]

As someone who keeps up with the tech industry, I can assure you that Android in its present state is more secure than iOS. I could go into details... As far as malware goes, it was once a MINOR issue for people downloading from illegitimate sources, however that was a while ago. In fact, the android OS actually checks apps for suspicious behavior.

Aug 9, 2013, 8:31 AM [ in reply to And have our playbook hacked, as a former Apple Employee ]

It's not the platform, it's the language - if you have Java apps you have security problems a mile wide.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please explain how that creates more of a risk on Android.

Aug 9, 2013, 1:10 PM

First of all, we're talking about playing game-film video, just like the multi-billion-dollar video content companies (Netflix, HBO, et al) do securely on Android.

But regardless of the fact that such companies have been doing it securely for years on Android, I don't understand how a well-written app is more or less secure because of its language. Please explain.

Anyway, the idea that a non-publicly available app would get hacked remotely is infinitesimal.

Re: Please explain how that creates more of a risk on Android.

Aug 12, 2013, 9:18 PM

Who said anything about Android?

Nonsense! Besides, used for game-film study, NOT playbooks.

Aug 9, 2013, 12:59 PM [ in reply to And have our playbook hacked, as a former Apple Employee ]

Sounds like the OP got a good dose of Apple brainwashing but...

1) At the core, iOS is based on Unix, just like Android. Android's Linux OS is widely accepted as the most secure OS, which is why Linux is used for most web servers and enterprise servers, etc, and why most IT departments allow employees to use Android devices.

2) The article states that the iPads will be used for game-film viewing, not playbook viewing. Game-film isn't very secretive (as opposing teams exchange game-film with each other), but even if it were, Android is quite capable of securely streaming it. Otherwise Netflix, HBO, et al, wouldn't allow such streaming on Android.

3) Even if playbooks were placed on an iPad, they could be copied just as easily whether they were on iPads or Android. Even if security were PERFECT, you could simply capture screen shots, which would be harder than photocopying a paper playbook. I'd be interested to hear about how secured documents have been remotely stolen from Android devices, but not from iOS devices.

Re: Nonsense! Besides, used for game-film study, NOT playbooks.

Aug 10, 2013, 11:31 PM

I'm sure the "article" was selective in what Dabo's complete comments were. Pure guess, but I would think they'll incorporate playbook specific software: http://digitalplaybooks.com/features.html

iPads are cooler than Android so its a recruiting enticement***

Aug 9, 2013, 1:13 PM [ in reply to Should have gone Android..alas...good stuff.*** ]

Re: Football Update: Clemson issues iPads to all football players

Aug 8, 2013, 9:48 PM

My guess is that they'll login with password to access play book?

Roger that, probably free icloud accounts to handle it

Aug 8, 2013, 9:50 PM

or enterprise account security

Image hosting by Photobucket

Protected server most likely

Aug 8, 2013, 11:56 PM

Any video that's considered secure is probably streamed from a protected server, with some decent password protection for access (like two factor). iPads support biometrics at least through external devices, too.

But a lot of the videos may also simply be recordings of opponents. Those probably stream from a cloud server in the public domain or some other cheap way.

It could also be particular runs, routes, blocks

Aug 8, 2013, 11:57 PM

form plays unrelated to actual plays run. I'm sure they can review their own footage, but I'd think there'd be a 'here's an example of what it should look like' even if it's not the whole play

Clemson

Re: Protected server most likely

Aug 9, 2013, 7:13 AM [ in reply to Protected server most likely ]

Man, it's awesome to see that we R taking football seriously***

Aug 8, 2013, 10:28 PM

South Carolina WAS going to do the same

Aug 8, 2013, 11:02 PM

but the realized theh would all be sold within 24 hours.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: South Carolina WAS going to do the same

Aug 9, 2013, 4:21 AM

Ha! There would be over a 100 for sale at the barnyard flea market on hwy 1 in no time.

But teaching them to READ is going slower than expected*****

Aug 9, 2013, 6:39 AM [ in reply to South Carolina WAS going to do the same ]

Is the demand that high...

Aug 9, 2013, 8:33 AM [ in reply to South Carolina WAS going to do the same ]

for etch-a-sketch?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 9, 2013, 5:56 AM

Hope the playbook works better than the maps.

Mississippi Tiger --------- Clemson University - 8 Time National Football Champions - 1900, 1906, 1948, 1950, 1981, 1983, 2016, 2018

Just another perk for pampered athletes, and they still....

Aug 9, 2013, 8:27 AM

want to get paid too????

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i could not agree more. i love my clemson football

Aug 9, 2013, 9:21 AM

and actually recieved a full ride from the athletic department, but I cannot support the issue of paying these guys anything.

these guys get more perks than anyone on campus. they are good guys, but there is no reason to pay a $2k stipend. that's not going to change anything.

Re: i could not agree more. i love my clemson football

Aug 10, 2013, 11:29 PM

It's honestly not about pampering them. Even in public elementary schools, every student is being issued an iPad.

Believe me, I'm a 46 year old who loves paper for many things, but everything in the college classroom is on a computer or a tablet. The professors handle most of their tests, assignments, etc via computer testing, etc.

This is a terrific benefit for the team and the players:

http://digitalplaybooks.com/features.html

My prediction. SOS will whine in his next interview how..

Aug 9, 2013, 9:40 AM

"that coach from the upstate" brags about giving his players ipads, and hear him complain about what a distraction ipads are. And in another week or two, we'll be reading about the all the USuCk players receiving ipads too, and how it's the greatest thing.

Re: My prediction. SOS will whine in his next interview how..

Aug 9, 2013, 10:50 AM

South Carolina had them last year. It's not a big deal. As the article mentioned many teams across the country including Duke have them.

Security on those things better be iron-clad.

Aug 9, 2013, 10:43 AM

Playbooks, game research, etc. falling into opponent or enemy hands? Ouch.

Next time, vote Jabba like you're supposed to.

Aug 9, 2013, 11:01 AM

I hope none of the players download Candy Crush, or they won't be getting anything done.

I hope they have theft tracking software on them 'cause

Aug 9, 2013, 11:34 AM

kids tend to loose stuff, expensive stuff more than cheap stuff.

Aug 12, 2013, 9:35 PM

It's cheaper in the long haul than paper playbooks, easier to carry around, you can get updates to the game plans and playbooks easily, and it is more environmental friendly (if that is your thing).

Plus, there are really cool coaching apps that can animate the plays for the players.

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic