Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Fix the College Football Playoffs
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

Fix the College Football Playoffs

Nov 5, 2018, 5:22 PM

1. Only power 5 teams will play in the current playoff
All 5 conference champions play in playoff (make Notre Dame join conference)
3 at large teams that must be a division champion in their conference
Eliminate the 12th game of regular season, will have the same number of games as now
Limit games to power 5 and 1 D-1 non-power 5

2. Create playoff for D-1 non-power 5 teams to reward the teams who have successful seasons
Follow the same format as playoff system above
Limit games to 1 power 5 and 1 D-2 team the remainder will be D-1 non-power 5 teams

3. Keep current playoff system
No power 5 games and limit to 1 D-1 non-power 5 team

NCAA to create a profit sharing payment to D-2 teams to equal the payoff of playing a power 5 team, so that D-2 teams are not punished in the new system.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nope, 8 is too many

Nov 5, 2018, 5:23 PM

makes important games not so important

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Spot on!

Nov 5, 2018, 5:50 PM

I still like the "fan" made dream playoff of 6 teams. With the #1 and #2 ranked teams getting a first round bye week.
You'd have:
#3 vs #6
#4 vs #5

3 Weeks full of CFP games would be sweet! You'd think the extra revenue would have the powers that be jumping on it.

But it'll never happen.

it would make more games important though

Nov 5, 2018, 6:08 PM [ in reply to Nope, 8 is too many ]

Like WVU vs Texas last week would've been critical in an 8 team playoff, as it is it was only marginally important.

If WV wanted that game against Texas to mean something...

Nov 5, 2018, 10:26 PM

They shouldn’t have lost decisively to Iowa State.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: Fix the College Football Playoffs

Nov 5, 2018, 5:31 PM

The 12th game was added to generate more revenue for the schools. Teams that do not make the playoff will not willingly give up the 12th game.

No matter what alternate system is used, we will always have complaints. Just imagine the chatter we would have if Clemson was ranked No. 5 under the current system?

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 5, 2018, 6:09 PM

Correct. I might add, even the teams that do make the playoffs don't want to lose a home game revenue. Lets not forget the local economies.

not if you take the people out of the selection

Nov 6, 2018, 10:15 AM [ in reply to Re: Fix the College Football Playoffs ]

make it conferene champs only

no polls, no opiions, no rankings, no indexes

the eye test wont matter, sos won't matter, indexes won't matter.

you win your conference, you are in. simple.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Nov 5, 2018, 5:45 PM

You can't do much more than you have now.
It's either 4 teams or 8, and 8 makes for too long a season, even for those of us who can't get enough college football.
You could shorten the season, but how much money would be lost in the process?
Also, you can't make Notre Dame join a conference. And you really can't keep them out if they have a successful season.
Besides, even if they are made to join a conference, you still have 5 power conferences vying for 4 spots.

Nov 5, 2018, 5:49 PM

There is nothing to fix. It is fine as it sits. Adding more teams will not change the outcome. It will just change the debate. Next it will be about the #9 team that is angry that it got "left out". Adding more teams will also kill the bowl system.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 5, 2018, 5:59 PM

AMEN!!! Preach it Brother.

It Ain't broke. Any fix'n will just expose those pesky Unforeseen Consequences. You want to make sure only the Clemsons and Alabamas have a true shot - add more rounds of playoff games. Only the teams with truly exceptional depth with have a prayer of making it through three or four playoff games.

Bit it is broke!!

Nov 5, 2018, 8:27 PM

As long as the powers that be have an allegiance, it will stay broken. If there wasn’t a clear bias, I would be fine with it. However though, I believe 8 is the magic number; no byes.

Bit it is broke!!

Nov 5, 2018, 8:27 PM [ in reply to Re: Fix the College Football Playoffs ]

As long as the powers that be have an allegiance, it will stay broken. If there wasn’t a clear bias, I would be fine with it. However though, I believe 8 is the magic number; no byes.

Re: Bit it is broke!!

Nov 5, 2018, 9:31 PM

No byes?? That’s F up

the #9 team won't be a conference champ

Nov 5, 2018, 6:18 PM [ in reply to Re: Fix the College Football Playoffs ]

Though

not if you take the "people " out of the selection

Nov 6, 2018, 12:53 PM [ in reply to Re: Fix the College Football Playoffs ]

process.

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Nov 5, 2018, 5:53 PM

Nothing to fix

If there's an 8 team playoff i want to see the best

Nov 5, 2018, 5:56 PM

G5 school get a shot in it. And unlike many others, i really don't care about the division winner stuff. With 8 teams you can mandate all five P5 champions get an auto bid and still have room for 3 at-large teams. That's already 1 major restriction (2 if you give a G5 bid every year) so i don't see the need for any others. Including all five P5 champions is already likely to give you at least 1 turd playoff team per year (hello Pac 12 this year). Just put the best teams in those at-large spots. It's really not *that* difficult to determine who the best teams are.

The expanded set up we have now has been great for the

Nov 5, 2018, 7:45 PM

college football fan - way ahead of the BCS 2 model where there was just too much debate any given year on who the most worthy #2 would be. Today's 4-team semi-final structure solves that. There may be debate about 4, or 3, but no longer about the top 2. For college football, that's golden.

What makes today's structure still lacking though is the weekend of CCGs. 10 teams now, maybe or maybe not the top 4 are participating, and too often an upset leaves the victor out anyway. It's a hodgepodge of play-in, play-out, don't matter, and maybe 1x every year an actual play-off. This is a wasted opportunity, where an 8-team, Power 5 regular season auto-champ plus 3 at-large (no guarantee for G5) would offer a less is more round while making regular seasons better, not worse.

Though our conferences are big, you can still fairly crown a conference champ with a regular season schedule. Wasn't too long ago where the SoCo had 30 teams, and the SEC was at 10 for a long while and didn't have a problem playing 8 games yet awarding a regular champ. No divisions makes the regular seasons better for many teams and leagues. There are plenty of fair tie-breakers, and with 3 at-larges for grabs, you still got to earn it every week on the field.

Move this round two weeks after rivalry week, but announce the playoff 8 and 4 other NY6 teams the last Sunday in November, so 2 week prep. The Sunday after this game, announce who is playing whom in the NY6 and where, including the semis. Losers at the 8 round are part of the 4 other NY6 games. Everyone gets notice of where at the same times throughout, offering 2 to sometimes 3 weeks notice fairly to all, save for the champ game which is when it is.

Go Tigers.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The expanded set up we have now has been great for the

Nov 5, 2018, 9:19 PM

Honestly I agree with keeping it at 4 because you're going to have the same argument at 9-10 that you do now at 5-6. However, if you were to change it then I'd make the following changes.

1) Cut out the conference championships and have them decided in the regular season. This minimizes the whole "making games irrelevant" argument because every game matters now.

2) Make the in conference schedule for ALL conferences 9 games, this makes it the same across all conferences so you can keep it as equal as possible.

3) Each team schedules 1 "cupcake" FCS opponent, and 2 out of conference opponents. Only 1 of the out of conference opponents are on a "neutral field" a year. This keeps all of the rivalries across conferences still in tact and encourages programs to try and schedule great games throughout the regular season.

4) Of the 8 Spots 5 will be given automatically to teams who have won their conference championships, the other 3 are at large bids based on head to head matchups, SOS, SOR, FPI, and the ever famous "eye test".

First round of the playoffs (1 vs. 8, 2 vs. 7, 3 vs. 6, 4 vs. 5) are paid at the higher ranking teams Home Field with 2 weeks rest from the end of the season. This will allow all of the players to fulfill their finals and cover their academic requirements to keep the schools off their back. With the conference championships the way they are you can't tell me that a night game in the Valley wouldn't be better than a blowout in Charlotte. This is also when the other bowls start so you'd have average bowls in the morning and then great bowls to end the day with.

Ex: December 15th 2018
(8) Ohio State vs (1) Alabama
-Saban vs. Meyer the media would eat this up

(7) West Virginia vs. (2) Clemson
-A rematch of the game that started it all, we very well might drop 70 on them this time in our house.

(6) Oklahoma vs. (3) Notre Dame
-A matchup between two historic programs (programs that really haven't done anything on a national stage except flop in the past 15 years)

(5) Georgia vs. (4) Michigan
-Michigan D vs. SEC OL & RB's would be interesting.

2nd Round of the playoffs would be played the following Saturday and would take place at the previous Championship location of the higher ranked team. SEC-Atlanta, ACC-Charlotte, Big 12- Dallas, Big 10-Indianapolis, Pac 12-California. In the event a Non-Power 5 made it this far the 2nd round would be played in the other opponent's conference location. This would make up for the lack of conference championships and may well create more revenue for these partnerships. And it makes sense because at this time we're about halfway through the bowl season so it would make a perfect mid-mark before getting into the major bowls.

December 22, 2018:
(4) Michigan vs. (1) Alabama
-Saban vs. Harbaugh another matchup the media would love.

(3) Notre Dame vs. (2) Clemson
-Just another speed bump before the Natty, showing once again ND was overrated.

The New Year's 6 Bowls would be between the 4 teams that lost in the first round of the playoffs and teams 9-12. 2 games one at 3:30 and 8pm on New Years Eve and another on New Year's Day at 3:30 and 8pm. In this scenario all 4 Bowls (Orange, Sugar, Fiesta & Rose) would be used yearly. The only one that would rotate would be the Natty so all 4 sites had a chance to host it.

The Natty would be played 2 weeks from the 2nd round of the playoffs to make time for the New Year's 6 bowls.
January 5th 2019:
(2) Clemson vs. (1) Bama
-Clemson vs. Bama Part IV: No doubt about it, another Clemson National Championship yet Bama still starts the year ranked #1 in 2019.

I like 4. Except for the b s year of TCU and Baylor being left out

Nov 5, 2018, 8:38 PM

for OhSt, and Penn St being left out for OhSt, its been pretty spot on.. and since I think Penn St should've shut down their program for a while, I was glad to see them left out.

4 works, it was meant to solve not getting the top 2 right amd it does. Go to 8, and people will cry about team 9. 4 is perfect.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: I like 4. Except for the b s year of TCU and Baylor being left out

Nov 5, 2018, 9:49 PM

When tcu got left out and Baylor. O31O state rolled to a championship with 3rd string qb. I think they got that right also.

Nov 5, 2018, 9:28 PM

LSU and Bama Georgia Kentucky were playoff games......I wouldn't oppose 6 games though.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 5, 2018, 9:35 PM

1. Eliminate all regular season games against FCS opponents and play those games in the spring in place of the current spring games.

2. Require everyone to play atleast 2 non-conference Power 5 games.

3. Start the season 1 week earlier than it currently is.

4. Have an 8 team playoff with the teams selected & seeded by a CFB Playoff committee. Play the first round two weeks after the conference championship games on the home fields of the 4 highest seeded teams.

5. The 4 winners advance to the next round. The 4 losers get automatic bids to 4 pre-selected major bowl games as consolation games.

6. Play the 2nd round during the regular bowl week the same as the 1st round is played now. The 2 winners go to final CFB championship game. The 2 losers go home.

Let me tell you the best way to fix it

Nov 5, 2018, 9:53 PM

Win it.

And when we’ve done that ... win it again.

See what they do then!

As someone who four years ago, thought 8 teams would be best

Nov 5, 2018, 10:06 PM

I am now fine with the four team format, with one minor adjustment...only the five conference champs should be eligible for the playoff. The reason I was originally in favor of eight teams, was to avoid what we had last year...preventing half of the teams coming from the SEC!

The big reason for considering only the five conference champs is, to cut out much of the committee's subjectivity, as they try to get the "four best teams". Their only function would be to decide which of the five gets left out, then seed the top four.

By going this route, you actually have a 10 team playoff, beginning with the conference championship games.

What about Notre Dame, you ask? To #### with 'em...join the ACC if you want a chance to get in.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Domers can join a conference or shut that trap***

Nov 5, 2018, 10:50 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 5, 2018, 10:44 PM

Keep it at 4. Only 4 making it and us making the last 3 makes us part of the elite. Eight dilutes that. It’s about the snob appeal and us being part of the big boy club. 4 playoff teams helps us in recruiting as well.

4 with conference champs ONLY***

Nov 5, 2018, 10:48 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 6, 2018, 9:48 AM

for the 200th time, you have to consider the players academic schedule and health... they are student athletes. You can't add any games, 15 is alot of games for anyone (even with the break). Several former participants have been verbal about how brutal it is. Academically after the first weekend in Dec there are finals, graduations and holidays.

the change would have to come with the removal of the conference Championships, the play in games would be the first weekend of December... no more games, no changes to the aforementioned "Student issues" ...

Money drives evening so we will see...

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 6, 2018, 12:10 PM

There really is no good fix. The CFP is better than the BCS but its by far from perfect. Why? Because you play the teams you schedule 8-10 years ahead of time. And then you wait for 13 people to judge how you look against those teams you have no control over and then to tell all of us who THEY think are the best teams. No other sport does that. March Madness - you win, you keep playing. No one questions who REALLY won the basketball title. NFL - they play and win their divisions. You win, you advance. No one questions who REALLY won the Super Bowl. The measuring stick for CFB is designed by those who benefit financially the most from the system - ESPN, FoxSports, CBS, NBC etc. Nowhere in the NCAA documentation are the words "Power 5" or "Group of 5" written. Those terms are purely sports media telling us who is preferred, who are 2nd rate citizens of CFB. So to say "Make this school do this......" or "No non-Power 5 team has to do that......"; it is impossible. The NCAA does not recognize that terminology so systems based on that criteria will not exist.
Now, am I saying we have a 66 team playoff like basketball? No, football is way too different. But to TRULY fix it, it would have to be some monstrous system similar to NFL with regional divisions and winners advance. But who wants to do that? Get rid of conferences in CFB? No way! Which leads me back to my opening sentence.....there is no good way to fix this.

I just thank the Good Lord that my Tigers are at the top of the heap and no one questions their abilities. Well....at least for this year.

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic