Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Fired coaches
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

Fired coaches

Feb 10, 2020, 10:04 PM

Gottfried at NC ST made the tourney 4 years in a row. He missed for 2 years and he was out.

JT3 at Georgetown made it 8 of 10 years. He missed 2 years and was out.

That Matta at OSU made the tourney 7 years in a row. Missed for 2 years and was out.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Fired coaches

Feb 10, 2020, 10:24 PM

^^^ winner^^^

But wait, those schools had history, and facilities, it wasn't that hard as it is today.

Also calling out judge... Likes to say Brad winning coach in Clemson. Last 45 years he may have more wins but percentage wise, he has the lowest winning percentage other than shiatt... 45 years and foster went to more tournaments than Brad and that was b4 it was expanded 2 64+ teams. Cliff Eliss, very successful. The only two coaches with less tournament appearances in last 50 yrs is Brad and shiatt. Nough said.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 10, 2020, 10:46 PM

If the ACC was as ###### during Shyatt’s tenure as in Brownell’s, they’d gave very similar records.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not sure why you are "calling me out."

Feb 11, 2020, 12:31 PM [ in reply to Re: Fired coaches ]

I am aware of the coaching records at Clemson over the past 50 years. It doesn't change my opinion that Brad is a good coach and should have this year and next before possibly being let go.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Not sure why you are "calling me out."

Feb 11, 2020, 9:27 PM

I am aware of the coaching records at Clemson over the past 50 years. It doesn't change my opinion that Brad is a good coach and should have this year and next before possibly being let go.

Said the same thing about Tommy Bowden ^^^

Feb 10, 2020, 10:39 PM

Great.

Call any or all of them.

See if they will come work for you.

Oh, you forgot to mention which ones were fired for cheating, not for missing the NCAAT. That implies that they wouldn't have made the NCAAT WITHOUT cheating.

And after the last time we spent 20 miserable years wandering in the wilderness in all sports after being penalized by Tobacco Rd, rescued only by Tommy Bowden's inconsistent tenure, I'd think you would care about that little detail.

Which of those guys was fired for cheating?

Feb 10, 2020, 10:44 PM

Gottfried was slimy, but State isnt on probation. Neither is Ohio St or Georgetown

Neither are the TarHoles...

Feb 10, 2020, 11:00 PM

but that certainly doesn't mean they weren't guilty of rampant cheating by systematically and deliberately creating no-show/no-work classes solely for the purpose of keeping their student-athletes academically eligible.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Which of those guys was fired for cheating?

Feb 11, 2020, 9:43 AM [ in reply to Which of those guys was fired for cheating? ]

and just like that, NCST gets told today that the NCAA is going forward against them for allegations of paying dennis smith's dad $40K.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Which of those guys was fired for cheating?

Feb 11, 2020, 8:56 PM

Every time Bama gets investigated, Auburn gets sanctioned.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Feb 10, 2020, 11:11 PM [ in reply to Re: Fired coaches ]

What are you talking about? Those guys didn't cheat and I didn't say I wanted them. Just pointing out that many schools have fired coaches for being much better than BB has been.

Feb 10, 2020, 11:13 PM [ in reply to Re: Fired coaches ]

I am not hating on BB just pointing out that schools that care about basketball will make a change after 2 years of being out of the dance. We make the tourney twice in 10 years and we give our coach more money.

Feb 10, 2020, 10:49 PM

Motta retired because of health reasons and his inability to handle the time pressures due to his failing health

Gottfired was fired after he lost 7 players following the 2017 season and the NCAA came sniffing around

Feb 10, 2020, 11:10 PM

No he was forced out and that made it seem mutal as to not make him look bad. Maybe that isn't true but that is what was said. Not sure about Gottfried but he was on the hot seat anyways because State thinks they should win the big dance. That is the way they should think.

Feb 10, 2020, 11:11 PM

They not that.

Feb 10, 2020, 11:19 PM

I agree with the point to trying to make, but didn't Matta choose to leave due to health issues?

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Feb 11, 2020, 12:12 AM

Rumor was he was forced out and they made it seem like he wasn't being fired out of respect to him. Not sure how true that is but he had 2 bad years in a row. That is just what I have read idk.

Feb 11, 2020, 12:14 AM [ in reply to Re: Fired coaches ]

https://www.cleveland.com/osu/2017/06/why_is_the_thad_matta_era_of_o.html

All 3 were at storied programs where recruiting would

Feb 11, 2020, 5:31 AM

Be allot easier Not saying they would not do better than BB but would they even consider Clemson

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The “storied programs”...”we don’t have good basketball history”

Feb 11, 2020, 5:50 AM

argument doesn’t seem to make sense.

Weren’t we told for many years (prior the current success) that our football tradition didn’t really help us in football recruiting? Everyone said recruits don’t care about the stuff. They weren’t even born yet when we won the ‘81 championship, etc.

So why does it all matter now in basketball?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

History matters, but perception and facilities matter more.

Feb 11, 2020, 12:50 PM

Even if a team doesn't have a grand basketball history, if recruits believe that the school cares about basketball, bad history can be overcome. If recruits believe that the coach will help them improve and give them a chance at a basketball career, bad history can be overcome. If a school invests in facilities that help coaches do their jobs better and impresses players, bad history can be overcome.

Since our administration has stepped up regarding basketball, and we have new facilities to show recruits, we are getting better recruits. This isn't a coincidence.

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

We are getting better recruits?

Feb 11, 2020, 9:49 PM

Are you still talking about men’s basketball?

Storied programs? Now do Florida when Donovan took over...***

Feb 11, 2020, 8:02 AM [ in reply to All 3 were at storied programs where recruiting would ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Feb 11, 2020, 9:35 AM

JTII was there for about 14-15 years. It wasn't that he was missing the Tourney but there was a sharp decline in his last 5 seasons and despite being picked higher, they under-performed. They basically tommy-bowden-ed of not living up to expectations in the final years with an established coach.

Gottfried also started tanking and I don't mean missing the Tourney, I mean finishing below Clemson by several wins for two years. 9 ACC wins in his last two seasons and 13th overall. In comparison BB had 9 ACC wins last season, so... what else do you want. You did have the "smell" of normal NC State basketball and the NCAA wafting in so he was on his way out.

Matta just did not have it left anymore with health issues. Chances are OSU would have kept him around for longer but i think both Admin and Matta knew what was up.

--------------------------

You want to know another coach that after a Sweet Sixteen failed to progress outside of the NIT first round and then did not make it back to the NCAA for another 3 years? Should we fire them?

Tony Bennett.

Granted, after taking WSU to the Sweet Sixteen, he missed it the following year. WSU cut his recruiting budget and UVA offered him a gig. It took 3 years to crack the NCAA, and was barely .500. And that is with UVA level resources which are about 5X what we provide.

Tony Bennett

Feb 11, 2020, 10:32 PM

Since you want to bring up Bennett I feel like I should bring something to light that happened on December 30th. I ran into Tony at the beach ball classic. He saw my Clemson hat and we spoke a good bit about this year's teams in the league being young. He admitted that this year he and Brad's teams were both young and rebuilding. Then he looked at me with a big smile and said "You guys have some big-time recruits coming". He wanted PJ hall so bad and PJ chose Clemson and later won Tournament MVP for a reason. Trust me this kid is the real deal so weather the storm guys. We will have a beast coming next fall. 6'10 thick. Can jump out the roof. Attacks the glass without thinking or hesitating when he has the ball. Plays like nobody can stop him and nobody can. If you double him he spins and shoots a fade away like Kobe. Put him on the line and he has perfect form with free throws. Oh and did I mention he was 68% from 3 in the tournament and his dorman team currently holds the #3 overall ranking in the NATION. I also talked to the BYU coach and Mike Young while there. Both kept raving about PJ Hall. So chin up help is on the way. If Brad can't do anything with it next year he needs to go.

We don’t have the fan support to fire our coach

Feb 11, 2020, 10:45 PM

You guys should get behind it. Fire up the fax machines?

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic