Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Fans of other major conferences cry foul that Clemson has easiest route to CFP..
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 44
| visibility 1

Fans of other major conferences cry foul that Clemson has easiest route to CFP..

Apr 15, 2019, 1:31 PM

..what say you, in proving Clemson doesn’t.

I will agree that the ACC has been down overall in recent years but Clemson team has still managed to stay focused, get better with whatever talent level they have to play week to week..plus use teams like Ta&m and Usc to see how they stack up vs another Power 5 Conference..

and still are able to take care of business come ACCCG time and the CFP games..

and WIN!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just show them Bama's schedule. ***

Apr 15, 2019, 1:40 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Fans of other major conferences cry foul that Clemson has easiest route to CFP..

Apr 15, 2019, 1:41 PM

Pretty much how I see it, but the ACC will have much better years. Those yankee schools will eventually get back to some of their former glory.

Re: Fans of other major conferences cry foul that Clemson has easiest route to CFP..

Apr 15, 2019, 1:42 PM

And you could argue the ACC has much more of a national presence which should help in many ways.

Apr 15, 2019, 1:41 PM

Can I speak with the manager? I am concerned with how the drive-thru is operating at this Wendy's location.

Who cares. In 50 years, nobody will know anything

Apr 15, 2019, 1:42 PM

about the past state of conferences. All they will see is the many National Championships Clemson won during our cementing of Blue-Blood status. Nobody talks at all about how Miami won multiple championships when they were part of the absolutely abysmal Big East.

Snowflake Basher........Out

Re: Who cares. In 50 years, nobody will know anything

Apr 15, 2019, 1:59 PM

Well Alabama beat their opponents in the sec by about the same margin as we beat ours in the acc.We then beat the crap out of the best team in the sec so I figure it all about evens out and I’m sure they would have said that had they beat us. The sec has two teams Georgia and LSU and occasionally auburn who are pretty good but outside that they are not elites.Beating Vanderbilt,Kentucky Missouri and Arkansas isn’t anything to brag about.Having to play Akron,Chattanooga and the like in order to get bowl eligible is pathetic

Apr 15, 2019, 2:39 PM [ in reply to Who cares. In 50 years, nobody will know anything ]

You just illustrated your point.

Miami never won a championship in football while playing in the Big East. Big East only played as a basketball conference while Miami was there.

They were independent, and their regular schedule included other historically independent schools like FSU and Notre Dame. In fact, almost all Power 5 teams today play an easier schedule than the historic independents did, because most of the bowls were conference-affiliated, which compelled the independent schools to enhance their schedules.

Today, Clemson is the only exception I know of. We play an 8-game conference schedule + 2 SEC schools on a home-and-home basis. That's 5 true road games vs Power 5 schools every year (though we all know the SEC games aren't permanent). Ohio St has been known to do this, too.

Bama, GA, FL, Texas, OK and others do not play 5 true road games vs Power 5 teams, because they always play a neutral site game. That makes our schedule more difficult than theirs (though it's not as convincing an argument as it would be if SouKarliner ever cycles back in.)

You always have a statistically higher chance of winning a neutral site game than a road game. While the inverse is also true, as a tactician you are trying to minimize your adversity. You would always rather have a 50-50 chance of winning than alternating between 70-30, which is what GA/FL would be looking at if they ever cancelled their Cocktail Party and made their rivalry home-and-home.

And the excuse that neutral site games costs the schools a Home game doesn't hold up, because they always schedule some Akron wannabe to fill out the 7th--or 8th, in Bama's case--home game.

Apr 15, 2019, 2:52 PM

No.

Miami won the 2001 NC as a member of the Big East with (ironically) Syracuse being their chief rival at 10-3.

Now, the "Big East" kinda toed a half-and-half roll in 1990 without a real schedule but most schools save Miami and VaTech playing each other.

Miami in the Big East as a football member

Apr 15, 2019, 3:03 PM [ in reply to Re: Who cares. In 50 years, nobody will know anything ]

What you said about Miami isn't quite right. They played in the BE as a full member for 13 years ('91 to '03) before joining the ACC. What you remember correctly is that even though they were Big East (football) members in 91 and 92, they didn't really play a lot of Big East teams. That's because it took until '93 for the Big East to bring a full complement of teams on board. So if you look here:

jhowell.net/cf/scores/Miami(Florida).htm#1991

that 91 schedule looks like an independent schedule. The 92 one looks just weird. The 93 one is the first time they really had a conference schedule.

They won a share of the '91 title and the 2001 national championship as a Big East football member...that last team was crazy good. So the '91 title was technically the Big East's I guess. The 2001 definitely was.

The Big East had some decent football, with Syracuse being pretty good (I remember that Gator Bowl all too well) and WVU fielding some really good teams, then Virginia Tech taking over for a while. Actually, all three of those beat the fire out of us in Jacksonville, come to think of it. The reason I'm commenting is that I remember all this discussion in the 90s too about Miami: That they were only good because they played in a weak Big East. Wasn't true then, and it darn sure isn't true of Clemson either.

Re: Miami in the Big East as a football member

Apr 15, 2019, 3:14 PM

I stand corrected.

But I still say that home-and-home games pose higher risk than neutral site. And that was my greater point.

Clemson plays home-and-home as much as possible. Many Other schools, not so much.

Right on. Completely agree with that.***

Apr 15, 2019, 6:30 PM

Maybe they need to just shut up and stop whining about losing to Clemson.***

Apr 15, 2019, 1:43 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I say nothing. Don't need to.

Apr 15, 2019, 1:46 PM

The tiger football team has spoken plenty.

Apr 15, 2019, 1:47 PM

Good enough? Compare Clemson, Alabama, ND, and OH State's final ESPN playoff poll strength of schedules/strength of records for last season.

Apr 15, 2019, 1:50 PM

Clemson stomped a mudhole in Alabama on January 7th. If we were in the SEC the claim would be that any team that kept it closer than 28 points is better than Alabama. So by their logic Alabama is a middle of the pack ACC team right?

why the TIGERS are the champions of college football

Apr 15, 2019, 1:54 PM

CU has won 2 out of the last 3 championships outright.the team earned it on the field.it wasn't given to them by some mythical group of writers or coaches.if they weren't worthy,that truth would have been reflected by the score of each of those games.the opinions of others are generated by jealousy and envy.if these other programs are better and so much more deserving,then why haven't they proven themselves the way the tigers have?they simply don't have the best talent in coaching and players.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Apr 15, 2019, 1:55 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

How many #### whippins does Clemson have to dole out ?

Apr 15, 2019, 1:56 PM

Unreal.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 15, 2019, 2:01 PM

No need to get into a pissing contest with anyone. Our record speaks for itself.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 15, 2019, 2:01 PM

I've said it before -- You can't use being part of the SEC as a recruiting tool and cash the big checks, then cry foul because the SEC is too tough for you.

Fake news ... the media has told them the ACC is weak

Apr 15, 2019, 2:07 PM

for decades, so when Clemson comes out on top, the audience looks around and says "What just happened" ?

Apr 15, 2019, 2:08 PM

Don’t much matter when you destroy all comers incl alabummer

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If they're SO concerned about Clemson's "easy schedule"

Apr 15, 2019, 5:32 PM

being an advantage to make the CFP, let'em sign up and we'll try to squeeze 'em onto our schedule just as rapidly as possible....but I am especially not interested in hearing whines from UGay and usuck who play 'Bama about once a decade,

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 15, 2019, 2:27 PM

I responded to this charge a couple of weeks ago and the same can be said about Alabama. Alabama was superior to all other teams in the SEC. The same can be said for Clemson. Clemson is superior to all the other teams in the ACC. Clemson took Alabama to the woodshed in the national championship game so, in essence, the Tigers are superior to all other teams in the SEC. Let us not forget that a couple of ACC teams gave us a better battle than did Alabama.

The Gamecock fans continually inform us of the power in the SEC and if they were in the ACC they would probably be the champion. But, with a head-to-head matchup with Virginia, not known as a powerhouse in the ACC, the Cavaliers not only trashed the Gamecocks, the Gamecocks were held scoreless. This is where the old emphasis on "perception" raises it's ugly head. Remember those years when the Big 10 was held in such high regard but when they played out of conference, they were embarrassed.

It is not Clemson's responsibility to elevate the status of other programs to make them competitive with Clemson or Alabama's responsibility to do likewise in the SEC. That is the responsibility of each school. I don't hear of other schools in the ACC hoping our basketball program will reach the point where we become conference champions on a regular basis nor an offer to help us achieve that goal.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 15, 2019, 2:29 PM

The same can be said about almost any playoff team in any given year from any P5 Conference.

Insert "TEAM HERE" and make a claim that they didn't have a difficult enough schedule. But, when CLEMSON has faced the hardest schedule and still reached the CFP we sure didn't get any "style" points for having the hardest schedule. We got style points by winning games.

When you're as good as Clemson is you can make any schedule look "easy". Just ask 'Bama and the SEC.

Sounds like a whole lot of whining if you ask me.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bill you spend way too much time listening to SEC propaganda

Apr 15, 2019, 2:32 PM

??

True or not is a moot point. We still have to play two of

Apr 15, 2019, 2:46 PM

top three teams in the country.

Apr 15, 2019, 2:51 PM

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2019-01-07/how-every-conference-has-fared-years-college-football-bowl-games%3famp

Apr 15, 2019, 2:58 PM

Big stadiums do not mean you have a tough schedule. in general, it means you hand out a lot of diplomas.

The PAC-12 and Big-12 are a total joke.

Big 10 isn't that impressive either.

SEC....Vandy, UK, The U of Suck, UT, Ole Miss, Miss State, Mizzou, and offensiveless LSU, an up and down Auburn....please. just because Alabama and UGA are good doesn't mean there's depth top to bottom in the league.

Wouldn’t playing a weaker schedule

Apr 15, 2019, 3:10 PM

leave you unprepared to play “Big Boy Football” in the playoffs? Asking for a friend.

One would think so

Apr 15, 2019, 3:22 PM

SEC programs have claimed for years that playing "Big Boy Football" is what makes the SEC great compared to the field.

I would argue that the SEC is still overrated, and that's what lead to the curb-stomping of 'Bama. Playing an "easy" schedule is precisely why Bama lost badly.

Re: One would think so

Apr 15, 2019, 3:41 PM

'Dem 'Bama Babies.

Excuses, excuses***

Apr 15, 2019, 3:46 PM

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

I don’t think you hear the big 12 or pac 12 saying that***

Apr 15, 2019, 3:47 PM

Re: I don’t think you hear the big 12 or pac 12 saying that***

Apr 15, 2019, 3:58 PM

Since 2000, the Big 12 and Pac12 schools have accounted for 2.5 titles with 2005 Texas being the last and the 2000 OU NC and the split title for USC in 2003 (with 2004 being vacated). The Pac12 last undisputed (not split) Natty was in '72.

Meanwhile the ACC has three. 4 if you want to seal the Big East's only Natty.

Apr 15, 2019, 4:04 PM

Let’s just say, for the sake of argument, that Clemson does have a lame schedule thru the regular season, teams like aTm notwithstanding. But then at the end of that still have to play and BEAT at least two more OOC teams ranked in the TOP 4 in college fooltball (that’s not counting the other ACC division champ).

How is that “easy”?!

Stop whining the rest of you fans of other teams/conferences and do what Clemson does - just win

Let’s just say, for the sake of argument, that Clemson does have a lame schedule thru the regular season, teams like aTm notwithstanding. But then at the end of that still have to play and BEAT at least two more OOC teams ranked in the TOP 4 in college fooltball (that’s not counting the other ACC division champ).

How is that “easy”?!

Stop whining the rest of you fans of other teams/conferences and do what Clemson does - just win

How is that “easy”?!

Apr 15, 2019, 4:27 PM

Dont care won Natties

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Don't care. We Win Natties. The "Rest of Them" don't win shi

Apr 15, 2019, 7:12 PM

t!

Go TIGERS!!!

In 2016, when we won it all, it was the hardest road to the

Apr 15, 2019, 7:17 PM

playoff as the ACC was hands down the best conference.

Also, what about all those years Bama got to play Missouri in their conference title game and/or bad Florida teams that had already been routed by Florida State?

It depends on the year, but it matters zero once they

Apr 15, 2019, 7:23 PM

decided to decide the championship on the field rather than voting sportswriters. Once you line up head to head, all of that other talk is BS loser excuse noise.

We (CLEMSON) beat the other two of the top three ranked

Apr 15, 2019, 8:04 PM

opponents by a totals of over 55 points. When a team stomp a mudhole out the the butts of the team #1 the team that the media is pushing as the GOAT and the third ranked team after the regular season is over crying about how the first 15-0 team got in the position to do all that is something a five year old would do.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 16, 2019, 6:50 AM

If we were in the Pac 12 it would easy too. That said, we do have the easiest path until some other team steps up in the ACC.

Replies: 44
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic