Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FSU Love. But Not ACC Love.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 2,840

FSU Love. But Not ACC Love.

Nov 4, 2019, 9:23 PM

So a bunch of posters on here I have noticed seem to really want Florida State to be good enough to beat us apparently!
Lots of negative Willie Taggert comments - to which surprises me a bunch b/c I would think you would want someone you thought didn't know what they were doing at the helm. Now "some" of the same folks want National Championship caliber coaches not just in the same conference; but in the same division as Clemson! Whew!
I love competition like anyone - but slow down a bit scooter! LOL! A Good FSU means even if you are still beating them; you are eventually going to lose recruits to them! Which means less for CU. On the other hand the more FSU gets the less Bama, LSU, Georgia will get from the Sunshine state and surrounding states.

But more interesting - those same people don't have the same fever for Miami getting good! Or Nancy St or Virginia Tech. In fact, over the summer, there was almost a faction stand off between people talking "Pro-ACC vs. I only care about Clemson" factions. {wasn't that serious} Like I was saying then - "IT'S NOT ABOUT PRO ACC AS MUCH AS IT IS ABOUT NOT ALLOWING STUPID ANALYST/MEDIA TYPES TO USE THE WEAK SCHEDULE ARGUMENT"! I only care at the end of the day what Clemson does too! But selfishly I want ACC schools to start doing better in the regular season for reasons we are now "feeling" in these polls despite how we have been winning!
I won't ever do the stupid as all get out: ACC ACC ACC chant like the "sorry excuse conference". That being said - some of you may want to look deeper than the numbers ESPN feeds you about the SEC vs. ACC. Yes, the SEC head to head has more wins but last I checked it's about winning championships! Over the last 6 years the ACC has 3 and the SEC has 3 - difference being it's been 2 different ACC schools while the SEC leans on Saban!

Just crazy observation Monday I guess!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: FSU Love. But Not ACC Love.

Nov 4, 2019, 9:39 PM

As Dabo says - we play the same teams every season. Think about that ... we played the same regular season schedule last year and still... we whipped bama.

I don't care if NC St or cuse are ever good. In fact, I don't mind if we continue to pound the rest of the ACC... Until there are more head to head matchups with the SEC (or other power 5 teams) no one will ever really know. For all we know, WF would smack LSU.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 4, 2019, 10:09 PM

I will I.M. you right now a couple of poser-SEC-loving posters who will say your last line is silly! But they are what I call - brainwashed!
They have bought into the facade of the superiority of the SEC.
The SEC is not Nick Saban or is it? The rest of those clowns are getting credit for what Saban coached teams have accomplished. Chizik is out of coaching now; so the only two coaches in the SEC who have a National Championship are Nick Saban and oh yeah, former ACC coach Jimbo Fisher!
Same as the ACC - Mack Brown and Dabo Swinney!
3 of the last 6. Played for 4 of the last 6 which means beating "blue bloods" of the sport to get there.

I'm with you on Nancy St. But, I wish BC was good! Just cause I like Adazio. I wish Syracuse could get right and Miami and Georgia Tech were solid! I also find myself watching a bunch of Pitt games b/c I like Narduzi. I like how they stubbornly play man to man no matter what.

Forget the rest including FSU!

I can care less ( at the end of the day ) but before then I care so that Clemson has some leverage in the event we slip up. Remember in 2017 we lost an ACC regular season game and still finished as the #1 overall seed.

If things keep going the way they are going - it will come down to basically "the powers that be" trying to make the ACC a group of 5 conference. I could see them doing that with the Big 12 as well. Perhaps the Pac 12 too. Same really should be said about the Big 10 too. Ohio State has been successful but who else? Why does that conference get the benefit of the doubt when they can't ever send more than 1 decent team to bowl games? The ACC in bowl games has a much better record than analyst and brainwashed SEC flunkies would have you believe!

FSU and Miami are down now - but everyone knows they are both "powder kegs" waiting for the right spark! And Nick Saban and Dabo to retire(but Clemson isn't going anywhere moving forward).

Nov 4, 2019, 10:03 PM

I want the ACC to be more than Clemson and thirteen piles of poo. Even if it means we occasionally lose.

Its tough having the best house in a cr@ppy neighborhood. I hope Mr Stoops moves in.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't want to occasionally lose to anybody***

Nov 4, 2019, 10:33 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 4, 2019, 10:16 PM

Remember when the ACC was more than Clemson just a few years ago and we made the playoffs even after losing to Pitt and Syracuse. If we were to lose this year we would have no shot of making the playoffs. Would rather have competition in a respectable conference even if that means we lose a game because we would still have a chance to make the playoffs.

I don't disagree

Nov 4, 2019, 10:27 PM

But, to let some people tell it anything that's not SEC isn't good. Which is where the problem come in. Why can't the narrative for the ACC be - so much balance that "nobody stands out"?
Instead it's there aren't any dominant teams except Clemson currently!
That was not the case when FSU was good was it. They had us at least to provide a ranked opponent(most of the time).

Traditional powers like Miami and VirginiaTech(no ships but good rep) and Pittsburgh(9 claimed National Titles) could do a world of good for the conference if they were 8 - 9 win teams annually.

But, in no way, do I want FSU to gain traction again! Let Louisville be that team or BC. I can't stand the criminals! I am still stewing over the fake punt years ago(rooskie).

Re: I don't disagree

Nov 4, 2019, 10:40 PM

I agree w you but the media takes everybody being the same as strong in the SEC and if everybody is same in the ACC its weak

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 5, 2019, 7:00 AM

Dabo and the Tigers are so far ahead of ACC and SEC teams that the ESPN and other sports analysts don't realize the ACC is just as good as SEC.

The Tigers go through the ACC like water through a sieve (with the occasional competitive game once a year - on any given day), then go through the regular season SEC opponents with relative ease.

The first 2 Nattys were battles after easy 1st round CFP games. Followed by a year when the Tigers did not have an elite QB, then, the Tiger recruiting, coaching and development kicked in to separate the Tigers from the rest of college football.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I get where you’re coming from HRT

Nov 5, 2019, 7:08 AM

But I think that Clemson and the league as a whole needs FSU and Miami (VT somewhat too) to get back to at least good to stop the narrative that the ACC is a clown show outside of Clemson.

This does a couple things but primarily it would give Clemson a little more wiggle room if we were to drop a game so that 1 loss wouldn’t knock us out of the playoff which I think it would this year.

Re: I get where you’re coming from HRT

Nov 5, 2019, 7:34 PM

But I think that Clemson and the league as a whole needs FSU and Miami (VT somewhat too) to get back to at least good to stop the narrative that the ACC is a clown show outside of Clemson.

This does a couple things but primarily it would give Clemson a little more wiggle room if we were to drop a game so that 1 loss wouldn’t knock us out of the playoff which I think it would this year.

Yep!

You can't be a super hero w/o a super villain! It just doesn't feel/look right if not - so I agree with you. Somebody needs to step up and be A. Consistently good. B. Consistently good OOC record. C. Recruit well and have an explosive offense!

But - the conference top to bottom isn't as bad as it's made out to be! Is the Pac 12 relevant? Anybody outside of Oklahoma with a pulse in the Big 12? Honestly same question for the Big 10(Ohio State)?

FSU - is the big one the conference needs to be back right!
Satterfield will get. WILL - have Louisville in contention for #2 soon. Like next season soon. They won't recruit well enough to get enough kids at Louisville; but they will be tough!

Nov 5, 2019, 7:11 AM

I hear you but respectfully disagree. I enjoy competitive games. I think an overwhelming number of season ticket holders would have preferred some competition in Death Valley this year. This has been a fun season but the true memories over the past 5 years are the ND game, Louisville Lamar Jackson Game, last years Syracuse game. I want us to win them all but enjoy competition over complete dominance.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 5, 2019, 7:26 PM

I hear you but respectfully disagree. I enjoy competitive games. I think an overwhelming number of season ticket holders would have preferred some competition in Death Valley this year. This has been a fun season but the true memories over the past 5 years are the ND game, Louisville Lamar Jackson Game, last years Syracuse game. I want us to win them all but enjoy competition over complete dominance.

I could go along with you "if the other teams are ranked"! Sure. But, with the perception of the conference being what it is - you have to blow teams out and leave no doubt.

As I said above - better teams in my mind leaves room for error in the event other teams have losses as well! Like in 2017 when we lost to Syracuse but still got the #1 overall seed.
As a kid I remember the 1981 championship game - thinking - I can't wait for the next Clemson championship. I never would have guessed it would have taken so long! I get what you are saying about excitement; but what if the bar has been raised so far you won't have that?
You see - Alabama beating everyone in the SEC last season? Yet, all those teams were considered good to great!

IDK. Seems wrong.

Nov 5, 2019, 7:24 AM

Actually in the last 6 years of championships, the ACC has 3, the SEC 2, and the B1G 1. I get your point though, if you go further back than that the SEC gains big.

Nov 5, 2019, 7:17 PM

Bareftn said:

Actually in the last 6 years of championships, the ACC has 3, the SEC 2, and the B1G 1. I get your point though, if you go further back than that the SEC gains big.

Yeah, you are correct. Forgot the buck-nuts won the 1st playoff(beating bama in the process with their 3rd string QB).

**Should the narrative not be - of all the P5 conferences the - PAC 12 and Big 12 are weak? Seems like it should be to me! No serious contenders except Oregon during the playoff era! Just seem like a bunch of piling on to what other people think! Like a "brainless zombie" ((( mocking these dummies))) "acc is weak acc is weak must not think must think acc is weak"! Yet, outside the SEC when it comes to the ultimate prize in college football the ACC isn't taking a back seat to anybody! During the playoff era and the last year of the BCS.

Nov 5, 2019, 7:26 AM

I am far from loving FSU, but I think competition is a good thing. We are going through needless handwringing around here (not me, but most) that wouldn't happen if we had at least one or two in-conference teams who are recognized as top-notch competitors. Hopefully, Wake will still be ranked when we play them.

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Replies: 15
| visibility 2,840
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic