Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Explain this to me about the Urban situation
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 36
| visibility 4,319

Explain this to me about the Urban situation

Aug 1, 2018, 7:27 PM

Im not defending the guy im just trying to find out how it is in this twisted society we live in where everyone and their brother is looking to be offended.

How is this situation any worse then how Nick Saban completely turns his head and does nothing about his players getting arrested? Just 2 years ago he had 2 guys arrested AND convicted of drug and gun charges.... but he does nothing, gets upset with the media if he's asked about it....and the ESPN's of the worlds say nothing about him and his integrity.

I just find it odd how this world we live in now considers what one fire able offense should be by public opinion and not the other...

And im just using Saban as an example of this..... If coaches let players get away with any and everything without consequence why aren't those coaches held to the same standard and Urban? Both are wrongs.... so why is one excepted?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don’t know much about this situation, what I do

Aug 1, 2018, 7:29 PM

know is, you can’t lie. You make your employer look bad when you do that. It looks like he lied.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: I don’t know much about this situation, what I do

Aug 1, 2018, 7:41 PM

If his boss asked him and he lied that's one thing but I don't really care about Big 10 media day....was Nick lying about calling humans rat poison when their actually humans.......

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 1, 2018, 8:35 PM

You may not care about B1G media days (nor do I) but when he stands infront of cameras as a representative of the university and lies, his employer cares. As for Saban, I don't think he called anyone "rat posion." He suggested the things sports writers say to players is like made rat poison.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Honesty matters in the work place, your personal life, and

Aug 1, 2018, 9:19 PM [ in reply to Re: I don’t know much about this situation, what I do ]

in the court of public opinion. You can do it, you just have to be prepared to face the consequences.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Aug 1, 2018, 7:41 PM [ in reply to I don’t know much about this situation, what I do ]

I get it.... and agree. Just find it odd how the media chooses what is whats not.

Urb shouldn't have lied

Aug 1, 2018, 7:30 PM

Should have just said it was a private matter and was being handled.

Re: Urb shouldn't have lied

Aug 1, 2018, 8:05 PM

That's public relations 101 . Dabo could give him some pointers .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

I agree MRT! That would've been better

Aug 1, 2018, 10:18 PM [ in reply to Urb shouldn't have lied ]

Nm

Re: Explain this to me about the Urban situation

Aug 1, 2018, 7:31 PM

Its the potentially enabling violence against women and lying about it aspect. The women's issues of harassment and violence are ultra front burner now. At first I did not think he would be fired but the way this is going I'm not so sure.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 1, 2018, 7:32 PM

Neither are accepted... the main difference I would say is that the gun did not hurt anyone, those drugs that were illegal were self inflicted and not used on someone else.... but when you vomit a crime on another individual... that is where you have a difference.

Aug 1, 2018, 7:33 PM

*comit

Aug 1, 2018, 7:35 PM

Try again?

Aug 1, 2018, 10:00 PM

*kommit

Happy now, police man ?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Aug 14, 2024, 10:19 PM [ in reply to Re: Explain this to me about the Urban situation ]

not the point... point is the HC didn't do the right thing

One group has a hashtag and the other one doesn't.***

Aug 1, 2018, 7:34 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

'I Cannot Sanction Your Buffoonery'

Aug 1, 2018, 7:35 PM

Those charges against the two Alabama players were dropped due to "lacking evidence" so no they weren't charged if we're talking about the same players. (Cam Robinson future 2nd round OL)

Aug 1, 2018, 7:43 PM

still.... the truth is there. They were dropped cause of the bama influence.

Aug 1, 2018, 7:46 PM

The guy beat his wife while working as a coach under Urban at UF around 2008. Urban knew about it and hired him again at OSU anyway. They guy beat his wife again while coaching at OSU. The wife (victim) texted Urban's wife about it and then Urban stated this week he had no knowledge of it happening again at OSU. That seems pretty unlikely. I would normally say he gets fired, but given what DIDN'T happen to UNC and their decades-long fake class scam, all bets are off. It certainly seems like Urban has a pattern of covering up for scumbags (this coach, Aaron Hernandez) and turning a blind eye to other crimes under his watch. Not a good look for OSU and the administration may eventually decide he is just too toxic now. I think re-hiring this guy is where Urban really screwed up.

Aug 1, 2018, 7:51 PM

your missing the point... I don't disagree with you. Im pointing out how quickly the media/espn/pubic opinion wanted him fired today..... But Saban and others like him can cover up for players just so it benifits the team...

Heck, I remember when Les Miles allowed his team to VOTE on whether to suspend his star running back for dang near beating a kid to death..... they voted no....why? They needed him. Why wasnt Les held to public opinion????

Aug 1, 2018, 8:01 PM

your missing the point... I don't disagree with you. Im pointing out how quickly the media/espn/pubic opinion wanted him fired today..... But Saban and others like him can cover up for players just so it benifits the team...

Heck, I remember when Les Miles allowed his team to VOTE on whether to suspend his star running back for dang near beating a kid to death..... they voted no....why? They needed him. Why wasnt Les held to public opinion????

Why did the wife not press charges? Seems it should have been a legal matter and not an employee-employer matter. For example, what if the wife said he did it and the husband denied it? Puts UM in a tough spot.

From a do what is right standpoint - if he knew he should have suspended the coach and insisted on counseling.

One other point: I am not for the current mob judgement ruling the day.

Aug 1, 2018, 7:53 PM [ in reply to Re: Explain this to me about the Urban situation ]

Let’s say your daughter is married and lives in another state. She’s getting the crap kicked out of her for years. You find out she told her husbands bosses wife, and she told her husband. The boss says, “eh, not my problem”.. A year later your daughter is found dead from the beating she took, or maybe she killed herself because she couldn’t take it any more. Well, the boss coulda reported it and stopped this but looked the other way. Would you like 5 min alone now with the boss?

Aug 1, 2018, 7:55 PM

You're not listening... I dont disagree with you!

Aug 1, 2018, 8:03 PM

I think it is different because Urban is supposed to be hiring role models. Guys that should to help mold these sometime troubled kids into students, athletes and decent humans. Instead, Urban hired a SCUMBAG. Hiring a a known scumbag into a leadership role is way worse than recruiting a screwed up kid. The both need to be dealt with. But in UM's case, it may cost his job, not a scholarship or suspension time.

Aug 1, 2018, 8:06 PM [ in reply to Re: Explain this to me about the Urban situation ]

Report it to the owner and not the boss wife....in this case the owner is school President.

Aug 1, 2018, 8:02 PM [ in reply to Re: Explain this to me about the Urban situation ]

This is in the first few hours of a HOT, HOT, HOT topic in the Church of the Holy Sportshole....the phone/text/snail mail/ smoke signals will be demanded,stolen and fabricated out of thin air...Buttered popcorn and beer will be in demand... Amazing that this comes out on the eve of the FOOTBALL SEASON!!...Almost makes you believe in Conspiracy Theories...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 1, 2018, 8:29 PM

The difference is Saban could not hide the charges. He also has AD and others judging him. Apparently the school was satisfied with his punishment of the players.

UM hired a coach he knew was not equipped to work with his team. He withheld important information about the coach. That is why he is being held accountable.

The wife was probably afraid to go to the police and told the wives for support. Problem is the ladies (lady) weren’t able to convince her to get help. If you are a woman and being abused, would you trust your husband not to beat you and hurt you more if you turned him in?

Obviously, this wouldn’t be a SEC violation.

Aug 1, 2018, 8:37 PM

Just like we don’t have a SEC defense.

Aug 1, 2018, 9:13 PM

It was the SEC.

Aug 1, 2018, 9:17 PM

Felonies "just mean less."

Aug 1, 2018, 9:19 PM

Pretty crazy we hold a college football coach to a higher standard than the president of the United States.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Aug 1, 2018, 9:32 PM

^^^And we allow coots to come on our forum and post stupid things. Shameful.

Aug 1, 2018, 9:52 PM

I think it’s a false equivalency. Nick Saban’s players were students and not employees. However, Urban knowing this, lying about it, and not doing anything to right it is morally wrong. It makes the university look bad. And that’s the thing here. It’s not about people being offended. But he made his employer look bad.

He’s a leader in the public eye. He didn’t need to loud the guy out but firing him quietly would have been sufficient.

Aug 1, 2018, 9:53 PM

^^^Pretty much sums up urban Meyers 2018 coaching campaign ^^^

I don't understand why Meyer is expected to fire a coach

Aug 1, 2018, 10:09 PM

who is accused of abuse. Of course abuse is wrong, but it's not like the guy was convicted of it. Is he really supposed to fire him based on hearsay?

Why didn't the wife report this abuse to the police? (yes, I realize that some people being abused are scared or conditioned not to say anything, but she was able to tell some of the other coaches' wives - why not the police?)

In this era of #metoo, men being evil neanderthals, etc., I see no way Meyer keeps his job beyond tomorrow. I'm obviously not condoning violence and abuse, but I have a problem with this situation at OSU.

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: I don't understand why Meyer is expected to fire a coach

Aug 1, 2018, 11:29 PM

A comment on your second paragraph.... I used to see it the way you do, but having now had some experience with a friend in a similar situation, I better understand the dilemma faced by the victim. She told friends, but telling the police takes a lot of guts and takes the situation to another no return level. Police can't really protect you, and eventually you're going to get hurt badly or killed by the perpetrator. Hard thing to have decide on for some people.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

since you have a friend - big question

Aug 1, 2018, 11:49 PM

Why doesn’t she leave??

Does she have kids with him?

Replies: 36
| visibility 4,319
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic